Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:36 PM

When "I Don't Know" Is The Best Possible Answer - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When "I Don't Know" Is The Best Possible Answer (864 Views)

Benny Hinn: I Am So Wrong About Prosperity Gospel, I Don't Fly Private Jets / 'I Sold My Soul To Satan So What? I Don't Want No Heaven' - Nigerian Lady Shocks / Do Witches & Wizards Exist? I Don't Think So! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When "I Don't Know" Is The Best Possible Answer by menesheh(m): 3:49pm On Feb 05, 2016
joseph1013:
[b]WHEN "I DON'T KNOW" IS THE BEST ANSWER

Creation stories attempt to explain the creation of the Earth (or universe) and the creation of humans (or of life on Earth). There are hundreds of creation stories but let's just imagine there are only two: the Jewish story and the Norse story.

The Norse story says the god Odin battled the ice giant Ymir. After an epic battle, Odin defeated Ymir and used the giant's body parts to create the Earth--his blood formed the rivers and seas, his bones the mountains, his hair formed the trees, and the sky was made from his skull. Humans came from the giant's armpits.

The Jewish story says that Yahweh created the universe by thinking it into existence. He made a man from dust and a woman from the man's rib. He created everything that exists in just six days.

More than a thousand years later, humans invented a new way of explaining things. They looked at facts (evidence) and formulated possible explanations that were consistent with the facts. They called these explanations 'hypotheses'. Then they asked, if this hypothesis is true, what further evidence should we expect to find? And what evidence would prove the hypothesis false? They searched for evidence or carried out experiments and discarded falsified hypotheses. They continued to test, debate and refine surviving hypotheses until they explained the facts extremely well.

This process has proven phenomenally successful. It is now known as the scientific method. We know it works because we create tools from its successful hypotheses and these tools work. My computer is such a tool. So are passenger jets, cars, medicines, televisions, eye glasses and space rockets.

So here we are in the second decade of the 21st century, and we have a choice. What should we believe about how the universe came to be? We can chose the Jewish creation story or the Norse creation story or we can see what science can tell us.

Science has formulated a handful of hypotheses to explain the origin of the universe but they are very difficult to test. Work is proceeding but we cannot yet be confident that any of these hypotheses are correct. Right now, science can only say, "We don't know".

What will you bet on:
The guess made three thousand years ago by the Jews?
The guess made almost two thousand years ago by the Norse people?
Or will you say, I don't know?

Only one of these answers makes sense.[/b]

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When "I Don't Know" Is The Best Possible Answer by menesheh(m): 3:52pm On Feb 05, 2016
Nice topic posted in less visited place.

Human curiosity for an answer and the ultimate one is the very cradle of all the creation myths in every culture around the world.

Am aware that young earth creationists will definitely be bias and try to favour the particular myth they chose to believe; the best question is "tell me nontrivial difference between the creation story you believe and others of its sort".

All of them are being driven by same features. Weird mumbo jumbo stories that can only exist in our imaginations but some people, because of the particular myth they chose, to act as their 'mind control' mechanism, threads with extreme seriousness to the extent of killing and dying for it. Is ridiculous.

I can't imagine assumptions with ill or no evidence proclaiming absolute truth of their assertions (and have failed every possible scientific investigations) could stand firmly in our society and hold us hostage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When "I Don't Know" Is The Best Possible Answer by VickyRotex(f): 3:56pm On Feb 05, 2016
menesheh:

Na you post am, na you dey hail yourself again cheesy

1 Like

Re: When "I Don't Know" Is The Best Possible Answer by menesheh(m): 4:31pm On Feb 05, 2016
VickyRotex:

Na you post am, na you dey hail yourself again cheesy

No be me post am, na the guy wee ename appear inside the post. I just lift am from the cave the guy hide am.
Re: When "I Don't Know" Is The Best Possible Answer by Nobody: 6:35pm On Feb 05, 2016
ain't stressing myself on the obvious again...
time to hustle for things that pays.
Re: When "I Don't Know" Is The Best Possible Answer by Ramsey19: 6:47pm On Feb 05, 2016
salam alaykum waramotullahi Wah barakat

pls is dere any hadith for tebligh outing nd pls is it part of sunnah to bo going outing(ijade)?

is dere any hadith dat denotes dat if u didn't go outing ur religion has not completed?
Re: When "I Don't Know" Is The Best Possible Answer by Mikefrik(m): 1:09am On Dec 25, 2018
op you wan kill me with laughter
Re: When "I Don't Know" Is The Best Possible Answer by Mikefrik(m): 1:10am On Dec 25, 2018
menesheh:

Human curiosity for an answer and the ultimate one is the very cradle of all the creation myths in every culture around the world.

Am aware that young earth creationists will definitely be bias and try to favour the particular myth they chose to believe; the best question is "tell me nontrivial difference between the creation story you believe and others of its sort".

All of them are being driven by same features. Weird mumbo jumbo stories that can only exist in our imaginations but some people, because of the particular myth they chose, to act as their 'mind control' mechanism, threads with extreme seriousness to the extent of killing and dying for it. Is ridiculous.

I can't imagine assumptions with ill or no evidence proclaiming absolute truth of their assertions (and have failed every possible scientific investigations) could stand firmly in our society and hold us hostage.

(1) (Reply)

Can I Still Get The Forgiveness Of God / Should A Christian Discontinue His Fast While On Drug Or Medication? / (racist) American Preacher Will Not Join Black & White In Marriage-see Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.