Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

SHOPRITE TOMATO @ N2,500 Per Kg! - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / SHOPRITE TOMATO @ N2,500 Per Kg! (3045 Views)

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / Kaduna State Commissions Tomato Pack House (photo) / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SHOPRITE TOMATO @ N2,500 Per Kg! by DeLaRue: 8:22pm On Feb 05, 2016
Went to shoprite this afternoon...and lo and behold, there was imported beefsteak tomato listed at N2,499 per kg!

Roma tomato was N799 per Kilo.

Importing tomato to sell at N2,499 per kilo is ridiculous.

I am sure if Shoprite offers to pay a few Nigerian farmers N850 per Kg, they will invest in greenhouses and produce these large beefsteak
tomatoes.

If any farmer can get things right concerning tomatoes, hmmm....the person has hit a goldmine.
Re: SHOPRITE TOMATO @ N2,500 Per Kg! by jasper7(m): 8:48pm On Feb 05, 2016
DeLaRue:
Went to shoprite this afternoon...and lo and behold, there was imported beefsteak tomato listed at N2,499 per kg!

I am sure if Shoprite offers to pay a few Nigerian farmers N850 per Kg, they will invest in greenhouses and produce these large beefsteak
tomatoes.

If any farmer can get things right concerning tomatoes, hmmm....the person has hit a goldmine.

Farmers need to step up their quality. Believe me, nobody will import tomatoes.
Re: SHOPRITE TOMATO @ N2,500 Per Kg! by akinloluwao: 9:38pm On Feb 05, 2016
Its not by force now, anybody that cannot afford it should go to mile 12. I am sure some people are still buying it till tomorrow. Every Aboki with their kettle..lol. Na so life be
Re: SHOPRITE TOMATO @ N2,500 Per Kg! by Pavore9: 11:13pm On Feb 05, 2016
l love to visit the fresh produce sections of supermarkets, doing my maths with the price tags as in these tags are pointers of what a farmer would be earning from his/her effort. The beefsteak variety would do well locally...dependent on knowledge.
Re: SHOPRITE TOMATO @ N2,500 Per Kg! by Nobody: 1:33am On Feb 06, 2016
But my concern is where to get the seed . So many seeds available but are not premium. Also to get an Indeterminate variety of tomato is hard.

On the Issue of greenhouse and alternative planting media, I believe our desire to succeed will lead us to take action with little or no government support.
Re: SHOPRITE TOMATO @ N2,500 Per Kg! by whirlwind7(m): 9:37am On Feb 06, 2016
happybrother:
But my concern is where to get the seed . So many seeds available but are not premium. Also to get an Indeterminate variety of tomato is hard.

On the Issue of greenhouse and alternative planting media, I believe our desire to succeed will lead us to take action with little or no government support.

That's just it. Anyone waiting on govt intervention isn't ready to begin. The thing is not to factor govt support in any part of the production. If govt eventually steps in, it becomes a bonus
Re: SHOPRITE TOMATO @ N2,500 Per Kg! by Pavore9: 12:01pm On Feb 06, 2016
Government no send anybody, so we better send ourselves! Anyone who can properly grow the beefsteak variety organically would certainly have a market amongst high end consumers.

2 Likes

Re: SHOPRITE TOMATO @ N2,500 Per Kg! by oxiide22(m): 10:07am On Jun 06, 2023
DeLaRue:

tomatoes.

sure

(1) (Reply)

Need Fund To Farm?. Check This!! / Rabbit Farming Business : An Alternative Way Of Making Money / My Experience As A Produce Marketer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.