Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,262 members, 7,957,640 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:36 PM

Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids (2598 Views)

Taylor Rhoden Rejected From Modeling Because Of Her Height & Curves, Makes It / Makeup Transforms 89-Year-Old Grandmother Into A Beauty (Photos) / Lady And Her Unclad Butt At A Beauty Shop (graphic Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by mercy1998(f): 12:48pm On Feb 06, 2016
As a young aspiring model who grew up in the streets of South Africa life has not been so easy for me. I've always entered school beauty pageants and won most of them now I entered one of the biggest beauty pageant at our Varsity.

The story begins like this: you enter the competition online you send your details including a face picture and body picture so I sent my pictures but on my pictures that I sent I had a weave so they accepted my application and called me for an interview. I went to the interview with my braids to my suprise I found four judges Two Black ladies one white lady and a gay black guy. They opened my application immediately they asked to see my passport I told them that I have an ID document I'm a valid citizen of South Africa I grew up here. I'm sure in their minds they thought I came illegally and probably bought the ID I felt offended by the look in their eyes. I asked myself how can an African person look down on another African Child.

The offensive comments kept on continuing when they asked how am I nigerian if I'm light skinned? ? I was really offended

One of the judges even said my braids look dirty and no girl come to a competition with braids I should get a Weave. I told her that Braids are my African identity I feel so real when I have them on when I have a weave I feel uncomfortable and it's really itchy.

Some South African people look down on other African Countries and their people it's actually sickening to see Black people judge me on my Blackness. so I should conform to the norm of having a weave and wearing lots of make up? Because I'm nigerian I'm automatically dark and a thief? They think they are white people forgetting that Whited actually hate them.

Took some selfies with my braids

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by Nobody: 12:55pm On Feb 06, 2016
Started from the bottom now we here.
Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by daveP(m): 1:16pm On Feb 06, 2016
Gays always on every fashion panel of judges. Why?

Oh only in S.A i forgot.

That country needs to grow up.
Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by whirlwind7(m): 1:26pm On Feb 06, 2016
Your experience is harrowing. What you went through just showed that the so called judges are totally ignorant.
How could such myopic and small minded peasants be made judges in a beauty pageant with potentials of going international?

South Africans have long lost their own identity. The Whites among them had bullied and fvcked up their mentality so much, they needed outlets to vent their frustrations. This has made them turn against fellow blacks from different countries.

Their xenophobia isn't over. Before this year ends, they are bound to carry out such attacks yet again. I read a new report on how they just rounded up hundreds of Nigerians for no reason, and they likely could get deported. Imagine saying you couldn't be Nigerian because you are light skinned. Just goes to show the depth of their ignorance and hate.

2 Likes

Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by byvan03: 1:27pm On Feb 06, 2016
Don't mind their fooli*shness dear, you are perfect the way you are . You don't need those judges to validate that.
Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by MduZA: 3:05pm On Feb 06, 2016
mercy1998:
As a young aspiring model who grew up in the streets of South Africa with a nigerian last name life has not been so easy for me. I've always entered school beauty pageants and won most of them now I entered one of the biggest beauty pageant at our Varsity.

The story begins like this: you enter the competition online you send your details including a face picture and body picture so I sent my pictures but on my pictures that I sent I had a weave so they accepted my application and called me for an interview. I went to the interview with my braids to my suprise I found four judges Two Black ladies one white lady and a gay black guy. They opened my application and questioned my surname and said it sounds foreign I explained to them that my dad is from Nigeria immediately when I told them that they asked to see my passport I told them that I have an ID document I'm a valid citizen of South Africa I grew up here. I'm sure in their minds they thought I came illegally and probably bought the ID I felt offended by the look in their eyes. I asked myself how can an African person look down on another African Child.

The offensive comments kept on continuing when they asked how am I nigerian if I'm light skinned? Do I use bleaching creams or any other thing to make myself light? I was really offended just because I have nigerian genes does not mean I have to be dark my mom is South African not dark at all even my dad is not so dark so I has to show them my parents pictures.

One of the judges even said my braids look dirty and no girl come to a competition with braids I should get a Weave. I told her that Braids are my African identity I feel so real when I have them on when I have a weave I feel uncomfortable and it's really itchy.

Some South African people look down on other African Countries and their people it's actually sickening to see Black people judge me on my Blackness. so I should conform to the norm of having a weave and wearing lots of make up? Because I'm nigerian I'm automatically dark and a thief? They think they are white people forgetting that Whited actually hate them.

The content clearly tells that this thread was created to invite insults to be directed on South Africans as usual... I know of some young Nigerian women who are in the books of different south African modelling urgencies,some don't even have proper papers but do participate in the pageants..there is a thread on this forum of a young Nigerian model who won the beauty pageant held in SA,she went as far as parading her medal on the streets of lagos,she has been registered as a model in SA...Miss Lady,its easy to point fingers at other people,you sound xenophobic yourself...am very sure that nobody looked down on you but yourself did.

1 Like

Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by mercy1998(f): 3:31pm On Feb 06, 2016
MduZA:

The content clearly tells that this thread was created to invite insults to be directed on South Africans as usual... I know of some young Nigerian women who are in the books of different south African modelling urgencies,some don't even have proper papers but do participate in the pageants..there is a thread on this forum of a young Nigerian model who won the beauty pageant held in SA,she went as far as parading her medal on the streets of lagos,she has been registered as a model in SA...Miss Lady,its easy to point fingers at other people,you sound xenophobic yourself...am very sure that nobody looked down on you but yourself did.
I've never said anything negative about the entire SA just those specific people. I'm not xenophobic and I have some good South African friends I'm just complaining that my hairstyle and my nigerian surname got me interrogated and eventually cost me being part of a competition that I had confidence I would win. I've done a lot of pageants before and won them there was no problem back then

3 Likes

Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by Nobody: 4:33pm On Feb 06, 2016
Are South Africans forcing you to stay in their country? Then why not go to a country were your braids and surname will be accepted.

Hint: Nigeria, your fatherland undecided

3 Likes

Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by pretydiva(f): 5:15pm On Feb 06, 2016
Awwe..ur very pretty. Ignore dem babe. Dey ain't worth it
Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by mercy1998(f): 6:10pm On Feb 06, 2016
Tumisang:
Are South Africans forcing you to stay in their country? Then why not go to a country were your braids and surname will be accepted.

Hint: Nigeria, your fatherland undecided
No they are not but I have every right to live in South Africa and I will not let those Whites wannabe stop me

1 Like

Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by Upaka(f): 8:36pm On Feb 06, 2016
FP material..*bought a cheap land* now wey the braid wey no allow you enter competition?
Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by itstpia8: 8:37pm On Feb 06, 2016
ok.

why not face your studies or business then.

btw, on a previous thread you claimed both your parents are Nigerian?

1 Like

Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by mercy1998(f): 9:21pm On Feb 06, 2016
itstpia8:
ok.

why not face your studies or business then.

btw, on a previous thread you claimed both your parents are Nigerian?
Really please screen shot where I mentioned that my mom is nigerian? just because my mom is married to a nigerian does not mean she is not South African. I can't be told what to do by your xenophobic mind
Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by Nobody: 11:10pm On Feb 06, 2016
mercy1998:
No they are not but I have every right to live in South Africa and I will not let those Whites wannabe stop me

The only people who have every right to live in SA are bonafide South Africans. The rest are just migrants the "white wannabes" are merely accommodating.

Your mother is South African, you say? Are you sure?

mercy1998 (f): 4:16pm On Sep 01, 2015
I can safely say I'm not South African but I was born here and lived my entire life in SA

mercy1998( f): 6:49pm On Dec 19, 2015
I'm originally Nigerian undecided but I didn't grow up in Nigeria my parents were always travellers which made me to lose my culture. My parents never took time to teach us about our Culture undecided they have always wanted us to adapt to the lifestyle of the particular place we lived in. When I was 5 we lived in Ghana then after 4 years we moved to Congo and finally settled in South Africa... My mother has a very exaggerated mindset when it comes to the Igbo culture undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by Qualer: 2:51am On Feb 07, 2016
MduZA:

you are obviously lacking in the 'comprehension' department!!

what she is saying is that - some ignorant black people have been so brainwashed that they don't even know what it means to be black. how can you be in africa and you are setting weave standards at an african pageant? that is the most ignorant and aloof thing i have heard in years. They obviuosly don't know their own history and what the weave stands for in black history.

OP, please rock your braids to anywhere you can and be proudly black and african!!

2 Likes

Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by MduZA: 5:51am On Feb 07, 2016
Qualer:

you are obviously lacking in the 'comprehension' department!!

what she is saying is that - some ignorant black people have been so brainwashed that they don't even know what it means to be black. how can you be in africa and you are setting weave standards at an african pageant? that is the most ignorant and aloof thing i have heard in years. They obviuosly don't know their own history and what the weave stands for in black history.

OP, please rock your braids to anywhere you can and be proudly black and african!!

According to Mercy, a white person was one of those 4 interrogated her...why is she only calling blacks all sorts of names?so if the rules of that organization uniquely want models with weaves on their heads ,were they supposed to change their rules in order to please a pure African girl?...by the way beauty pageants are western things therefore those who think are too African should just focus on something else...I nearly forgot to tell you that your comprehension on this topic is magnificent.
Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by vandalZA(m): 6:30am On Feb 07, 2016
Tumisang:

The only people who have every right to live in SA are bonafide South Africans. The rest are just migrants the "white wannabes" are merely accommodating.

1000likes
Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by shizzy7(f): 10:35am On Feb 07, 2016
mercy1998:
As a young aspiring model who grew up in the streets of South Africa with a nigerian last name life has not been so easy for me. I've always entered school beauty pageants and won most of them now I entered one of the biggest beauty pageant at our Varsity.

The story begins like this: you enter the competition online you send your details including a face picture and body picture so I sent my pictures but on my pictures that I sent I had a weave so they accepted my application and called me for an interview. I went to the interview with my braids to my suprise I found four judges Two Black ladies one white lady and a gay black guy. They opened my application and questioned my surname and said it sounds foreign I explained to them that my dad is from Nigeria immediately when I told them that they asked to see my passport I told them that I have an ID document I'm a valid citizen of South Africa I grew up here. I'm sure in their minds they thought I came illegally and probably bought the ID I felt offended by the look in their eyes. I asked myself how can an African person look down on another African Child.

The offensive comments kept on continuing when they asked how am I nigerian if I'm light skinned? Do I use bleaching creams or any other thing to make myself light? I was really offended just because I have nigerian genes does not mean I have to be dark my mom is South African not dark at all even my dad is not so dark so I has to show them my parents pictures.

This part shows that those judges are DUMB..."How am I nigerian if I'm light skinned"?

There are many fair(fairer than you) Nigerians who are not even mixed and did not bleach their skin mostly igbos....

And their stupidity continues online with some tumisang asking "if you're sure that your mum is s.an, Nooooo she's peurto Rican...
Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by Nobody: 10:42am On Feb 07, 2016
South Africans are just the worse racists and they are so dillussional.
Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by ednut1(m): 10:54am On Feb 07, 2016
Blacks are worse racists and tribalists. No wonder we are were we are
Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by mercy1998(f): 12:49pm On Feb 07, 2016
Tumisang:

Yes she is South African but I would be so embarrassed to call her that because she has more "Ubuntu" than most South Africans a great women married to a respectful nigerian man who molded her to be the greatest South African. and Brace yourself my brother I'm not going anywhere don't be suprised when you see me as your MISS South Africa very soon
Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by O0XYGEN: 1:05pm On Feb 07, 2016
Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by MduZA: 2:29pm On Feb 07, 2016
mercy1998:

Yes she is South African but I would be so embarrassed to call her that because she has more "Ubuntu" than most South Africans a great women married to a respectful nigerian man who molded her to be the greatest South African. and Brace yourself my brother I'm not going anywhere don't be suprised when you see me as your MISS South Africa very soon

As expected you are now taking the direction this thread I believe was created for...you are in Polokwane,Limpopo capital,people living in that province are described as the most humbled,respectful and peaceful..the term "Ubuntu" can be attributed to them(vendas,pedis and Tsongas)..since you are living there amongst those people,what have you experienced to an extent you come up with the conclusion that most south Africans don't have "Ubuntu"?
Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by teebee22(f): 8:42pm On Feb 07, 2016
hmmmmm. NA WA OH
Re: Rejected At A Beauty Pageant Because Of My Braids by sholay2011(m): 7:01am On Feb 08, 2016
OP is beautiful. shocked

(1) (Reply)

Girl With The Most Piercing In Nigeria .hit Or Miss / My Natural Hair Scrapbook / I Need Info On Mikel Obi Black Rubber-like Top? And Where To Buy It In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.