Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,482 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court (27325 Views)

Magu's Confirmation: Senate Unfazed By Presidency’s Decision To Head To S’court / S’court Justices Under Probe Withdraw From Sittings / S’court Ruling: Nobody Can Steal My Mandate, Says Wike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by SoNature(m): 3:28am On Feb 07, 2016
Montaque:
I am pro Pdp but this judgment has just committed the card reader to the dustbin of history. We spend Billions for its use, yet we can't support its use judicially.
it has also opened ways for the electoral criminals to perpetrate their old tricks.
The SC just rubbished the efforts made by GEJ and JEga in the recent past.

GEJ and Jega redefined who a voter is unlike what we used to have before now, and this has been the main issue in Nigeria today. No need to weep because 2019 is still far for a serious country to change its electoral acts.

All this govt needs to do, if they really want to consolate on what GEJ has built upon, is to amend the electoral act and send it to national assembly.

They must amend it to cover the crazy scenario we encountered in Kogi State(where a hopeful dies before the results r being announced) as well as use the better definition of who a voter has become. For more clarification, a voter according to Jega is someone who has a Permanent Voter's Card and not just someone whose name is on the accreditation register like we used to have it
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by Nobody: 3:29am On Feb 07, 2016
asuustrike2009:
I wonder why they didn't complain of Lagos saga at the supreme court even when their cases are similar. Those judges aren't dumb as to know what they are doing.
the court is not father christmas. it only makes decisions based on issues that are raised in its hollowed chambers,so blame the lagos lawyers for not raising the issue
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by MrBendel(m): 5:09am On Feb 07, 2016
vsaintchigs:
anybody who wants to critise this decsion should provide an altanative.dnt just bash without saying wat decision should have been given

But is there a procedure for accreditation in the electoral act? Even though manual? The supreme Court cannot assume that even voter in the voter register will vote on election day. So in hindsight, they are giving room for rigging, until the docile national assembly decide to make it in hr law to use the card reader. This will remain mess. Your country
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by Caseless: 6:26am On Feb 07, 2016
ogmaskman:

But this has nothing to do with the violent part of the elections. Many pple lost their lives and nothing was said about that. Recall the elections petition tribunals of akwa ibom and rivers moved to abj because of violence during the elections. Having explained the reason for discarding the card reader they shuld do same for ignoring the violence and over voting which characterised the elections in some disputed states.
I think I'm just being soft on them as regards the use of card reader, but as for violence and non-compliance with guidelines, SC misfired on that.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by gentlezypher: 6:27am On Feb 07, 2016
always finding loop holes to endorse electoral Malpractice!!! supreme court=tennis court
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by Caseless: 6:29am On Feb 07, 2016
MrBendel:

But is there a procedure for accreditation in the electoral act? Even though manual? The supreme Court cannot assume that even voter in the voter register will vote on election day. So in hindsight, they are giving room for rigging, until the docile national assembly decide to make it in hr law to use the card reader. This will remain mess. Your country
I expect INEC to have gone to NASS to seek amendment of the electoral act with a view to incorporate the use of card reader and other technologies before the elections in Ondo and Edo.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by Caseless: 6:30am On Feb 07, 2016
gentlezypher:
always finding loop holes to endorse electoral Malpractice!!! supreme court=tennis court
grin grin
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by klassic(m): 6:32am On Feb 07, 2016
doctokwus:

All well and good.
But I just have one question for u:under which provision in the constitution,an act, technicalities or anything near to it did the same supreme court give a judgement that gave PERPETUAL injunction from INVESTIGATION to fmr gov Peter Odili?
It's easy for people to use technicalities to justify a wrong decision,but it takes courage to do what is right,because if one is to go by your line of argument then even a murderer caught at the scene and in the act of the murder can also be freed by this same Supreme Court,by merely cleverly interpreting some section of d criminal act to justify the murder!

Good morning, you are not getting my point, lemme explain your murder analogy, it's easy to say one was caught at the scene of a crime having committed the crime thus becomes a suspect right? But the prosecution in law, must go beyond that speculation or fact to establish that it was indeed the suspect that committed the crime and not only did he commit murder, he had motive. The accused had motive and also acted on the motive. And furthermore, he was capable of committing such crime from a reasonable man's perspective. I. E , he had the mental capacity to know or ought to know the consequences of his action. And that it was an Act of revenge, malice and that it was premeditated this is when the defence raises any of the defences available to him in law.
Finally, the prosecution in doing this, must abide by the guidelines enshrined on the Evidence Act, Administration of Criminal Justice Act, amongst others for he fails to so do, he is bound to fail.
Lemme further clarify with a instance. Some men were caught adutrating dangote cement by mixing sand and other substances then rebag and sell as dangote cement.
At trial, the prosecution called a police official who caught them as a witness to testify that it was indeed a fake cement. No expert witness in the act of cement manufacturing was called to testify at trial. The trial court's conviction and the affirmation by the court of Appeal was quashed by the supreme court on the grounds that in law, a police official is not an expert in the act of cement manufacturing and thus cannot give expert evidence on same. Hope u now understand. Thanks
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by tinktanker: 6:38am On Feb 07, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Na lie
I c a blind and gullible APC bat. Hehehe
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by tinktanker: 6:41am On Feb 07, 2016
bettercreature:
Gang of robbers,You just signed death warrant of several innocent people comes 2019

No more reliance on tribunal all electoral malpractices will be settled on election day

Nobody has monopoly of violence,Wike will meet us there in 2019
ehya blind and gullible APC bat.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by Nobody: 6:57am On Feb 07, 2016
The card reader is one device that can gradually depose the manual accreditation process...jega introduced that device very late and it had many issues as at the time of testing and during the elections..A more efficient way of accrediting voters should be made available before the next elections so that this country does not go back to the election days of obasanjo where the ruling party takes the day...
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by DajinDaho(m): 6:57am On Feb 07, 2016
This is exactly one steps backwards.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by Onliie(m): 7:05am On Feb 07, 2016
ozoigbondu:
Go to court if you don't like the Supreme Court judgement and stay there
which he wan go again?
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by onyfrank: 7:09am On Feb 07, 2016
Asiri1991:
I was told same in Ogbia, Bayelsa during INEC training. The reason is simple to comprehend. There is a legislative provision for Voters' Register and none for Card Reader. Think of a unit in ward 3, Ogbia which was configured for a different unit. No admin across the sea. As a presiding officer, would you disenfranchise a unit when you have the register and the incident forms. We can press for the card reader in subsequent amendment of the Electoral Act. For now, the supreme court is godly.
during last year Governoship election, Jega said, where card reader failed, the election should be shifted to the next day.
During the election tribunal in Abia state, none of the witnessed testified that card reader failed. They all testified that card readers were used. Then y should the SC give their judgement in this state base on manual accreditatiön?
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by Nobody: 7:36am On Feb 07, 2016
MrBendel:

actually the supreme court decision was made due to the fact that the card readers were not made to be infallible an example is where an inec official shut down the servers during an ongoing election.wat they are saying in essesence is that u cannot depend only on card reader as proof that election held.capice
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by Nobody: 7:43am On Feb 07, 2016
klassic:

Good morning, you are not getting my point, lemme explain your murder analogy, it's easy to say one was caught at the scene of a crime having committed the crime thus becomes a suspect right? But the prosecution in law, must go beyond that speculation or fact to establish that it was indeed the suspect that committed the crime and not only did he commit murder, he had motive. The accused had motive and also acted on the motive. And furthermore, he was capable of committing such crime from a reasonable man's perspective. I. E , he had the mental capacity to know or ought to know the consequences of his action. And that it was an Act of revenge, malice and that it was premeditated this is when the defence raises any of the defences available to him in law.
Finally, the prosecution in doing this, must abide by the guidelines enshrined on the Evidence Act, Administration of Criminal Justice Act, amongst others for he fails to so do, he is bound to fail.
Lemme further clarify with a instance. Some men were caught adutrating dangote cement by mixing sand and other substances then rebag and sell as dangote cement.
At trial, the prosecution called a police official who caught them as a witness to testify that it was indeed a fake cement. No expert witness in the act of cement manufacturing was called to testify at trial. The trial court's conviction and the affirmation by the court of Appeal was quashed by the supreme court on the grounds that in law, a police official is not an expert in the act of cement manufacturing and thus cannot give expert evidence on same. Hope u now understand. Thanks
leave them its like pouring water on stone.imagine someone asking where injunctions are located in the constitution.i didnt even know to start explaining to him his error
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by ogmaskman: 8:02am On Feb 07, 2016
Caseless:
I think I'm just being soft on them as regards the use of card reader, but as for violence and non-compliance with guidelines, SC misfired on that.

I agree with you 100%.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by ogmaskman: 8:13am On Feb 07, 2016
klassic:

From the supreme court explanation above, the various petitions were bound to fail. Proving beyond readonable doubt without recourse to the card reader was practically impossible. The time between elections and tribunal sitting is too shot to get any meaningful evidence.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by TheAdvocate(m): 9:11am On Feb 07, 2016
In other words, bye bye to the Card Reader Machine.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by blank(f): 10:04am On Feb 07, 2016
vedaxcool:
So the card reader cannot be used side by side with voters register which can easily be tempered with strange names like bill Clinton voting in Nigeria?

These people enjoy on dwelling on technicalities rather than substance. They have condemned many to premature deaths by rejecting a fundamental blockage to violence. Rather than work for progress they have have become stumbling blocks. The same judges will gleefully tell you court has powers to make the law through interpretation but it seems when it comes to law benefiting the general public they hide their elitist heads in laws that are not progressive.

INEC just needs to go back to the National Assembly for them to amend the electoral act and make the card readers the primary electoral basis. The justices said as much.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by yaki84: 10:29am On Feb 07, 2016
obinoral1179:
so my lordship are saying that the card readers only supplement the voters register and not to supplant it accoding to the electoral act. the card reader is the same with the voter register because all data that is on the register is clone to the card reader so to me the card reader and the voters register are like identical twins when one is not functioning the second can replace it. am not a legal practional but am sure this judgement as taken us back to rigging and manipulation of voters register and election. my take

the card reader does not contain the data of voters, what it does is to confirm the authenticity of the card n ticks it a go for the bearer of the card to vote.
u can take a card to a polling unit, n d card is authentic but u wont be able to vote cos first ur name n image need to appear in the voters register.
so pls correct urself abt this twin thng of card reader n voters register cos they r two diffrnt things.
jega from d onset said d card reader was for test running in the last election, n he knew what he was doing cos I cant believe how the same card reader will accredit more than 90percent of voters in the north within 30minutes during the presidential elections but down south it was battling with 20percent after 2hrs.
I voted but the card reader did not capture my prints, d corp member guy just said I shud go cos my image was in d voters register n my pvc carried d same details n Image in d voters register.
so I think d way forward is to get a coincise n better device to do the accreditation cos with this present card reader so many people will be disenfranchise in forth coming elections. atleast u saw what happened to gej in d last guber election in bayelsa, he was accredited manually cos d card reader couldnt capture his print.
and also inec shud send a bill thru the presidency to the Nass to ammend the electoral act so the card reader will now be only basis for accreditation. anything short of that means the apc r playing games with their followers cos they control both the executives n legislature.
pdp r spectators, though they have a say in the govt but they will always be overpowered cos they r d minority.
the ball is in d court of inec n apc to do the needful.
apc zombies shud stop ranting abt the judgement cos the same supreme court favoured them too in the case of agbaje vs ambode concerning the cardreader issue.
I rest my case!
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by uvalued(m): 10:33am On Feb 07, 2016
bowdlerise

new word today... checking my dictionary... lawyers and english
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by yaki84: 10:40am On Feb 07, 2016
Montaque:
I am pro Pdp but this judgment has just committed the card reader to the dustbin of history. We spend Billions for its use, yet we can't support its use judicially.
it has also opened ways for the electoral criminals to perpetrate their old tricks.
The SC just rubbished the efforts made by GEJ and JEga in the recent past.

the supreme court straightened the judgement the appeal court rubbished.
the case of ambode n agbaje made mockery to the other judgements appeal court gave. dont forget in ambodes case the appeal said cardreader is not in electoral act n shud not be d basis for accreditation. it went ahead n awarded the victory in d card reader case to ambode, but the same appeal in other cases esp pdp cases said card reader was not used in accreditation. they made mockery of the whole system because someone somewherw was teleguiding them n maybe money exchange hands n instead,of giving a fair judgement what we had was judgement based on sentiments n speculations. go n check akwaibom judgement both in appeal n tribunal n see whether it was fair.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by yaki84: 10:55am On Feb 07, 2016
doctokwus:
Selective use of the electoral act by the SCJ.
No where is law interpreted without taking reality into play.
No matter how some try to rationalize this,the supreme court has taken us back to 2007.
For those claiming the sc interpreted the law rightly, can anyone explain under which provision in the constitution the SC ruled that Peter Odili had perpetual injunction from being prosecuted?
Just as that of Odili was wrong, these election ruling in Rivers and Akwa Ibom are also wrong and no one shud justify the SC!

did peter odili contest any election in 2015?
wetin carry peter odili come dis case?
oh if u r talkng abt peter odili what of sanusi lamido sanusi dat ur vice president shielded him against prosecution over abuse of office. is dat not also taking us back to 1930?
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by yaki84: 10:58am On Feb 07, 2016
olajizz01:
Hope PDP wont wails till eternity in the next election when APC uses force to wins some states in SS with the loopholes created by supreme court that non using of card readers do not invalidate an election no matter how violence it may be.

if they couldnt win small bayelsa upon the rigging n force na akwaibom, rivers or delta dem go come win?
una fit go for cross river cos nothing dey thr again.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by yaki84: 11:03am On Feb 07, 2016
olajizz01:
True talks,those senile judges had taken us back to 2007 in which we witnessed the most bloodiest election ever since 1999,with the sc judgement,election has returned to the era of do or die.

I tell u. the most bloodiest elections in d history of nigeria, imagine Inec residential commissioner n his entire family killed in one state. may God forgive him of his sins.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by yaki84: 11:06am On Feb 07, 2016
vicboy12:
Am only sorry for wike come 2019

can u imagine dis thing being sorry for a govr? someone that can feed his entire family for decades n shelter him no matter whr he is.
chai nairaland is fvcked!
nobody dey pity somebody...... na only for naija such fit happen.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by yaki84: 11:19am On Feb 07, 2016
Akainzo:

Sure, however you failed to recognise that for your name to be on that Voters Register, you need to have a Social Security Number!

For us in Nigeria, that Voters Card was the SSN. How do you decide that a Kehinde Taiwo is different from a Taiwo Kehinde when there is nothing to rely on other than a piece of paper?

The justices just took this nation backwards, they've truncated our March to a better society governed by truth and desirous of progress.

It is a sad day indeed.

imagine the whole elections were cancelled n new poll conducted, mkre than 1000 people dies. wike still win, udom still win, what will be ur benefit please? and also the card reader malfunctions n manual accreditation is adopted.....
d problemwith apc guys is not abt the cardreader or what the supreme court justices ruled, cos d same supreme court ruled in favour of ambode concerning the card reader which agbaje wwent to tribunal cos it wasnt used for accreditation in d guber elections in lagos state. the zombies r sad cos they lost out n couldnt grab atleast an oil producing state after bragging over n over abt it.
if una like 2019 carry guns or bombs come rivers or my state akwaibom, we will surely defeat apc hook line and sinker!
pdp wont come to lagos n win, they wont go to bornk n win nor in zamfara so apc can never come to akwaibom, rivers, delta, bayelsa n think of winning no matter what arsenals they will employ.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by yaki84: 11:30am On Feb 07, 2016
doctokwus:

All well and good.
But I just have one question for u:under which provision in the constitution,an act, technicalities or anything near to it did the same supreme court give a judgement that gave PERPETUAL injunction from INVESTIGATION to fmr gov Peter Odili?
It's easy for people to use technicalities to justify a wrong decision,but it takes courage to do what is right,because if one is to go by your line of argument then even a murderer caught at the scene and in the act of the murder can also be freed by this same Supreme Court,by merely cleverly interpreting some section of d criminal act to justify the murder!

we r talkng d way forward on this card reader issue, u dey talk of odili palaver, r u from rivers state?
did odili steal ur money?
which kind zombie be dis sef....
abeg na odili bring or start looting and embezzlement in nigeria?
sanusi mismanaged n destroyed cbn, he was querried n osibanjo defended him that he ca never have a fair trial in d midst of people who r against him. he was hurriedly enthrone the emir by resources of river state, lagos state.
did sanusi misappropriated central bank funds?
someone who depleted our foreign reserve just to defend the naira instead of following normal economic procedures.
someone who empowered the bdc's by giving dem free dollars at the detriment of our foreign reserve but was defended and injunctions placed in the same supreme court by yemi osibanjo instead of being allowed to face a just n fair trial.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by yaki84: 11:48am On Feb 07, 2016
ogmaskman:

But this has nothing to do with the violent part of the elections. Many pple lost their lives and nothing was said about that. Recall the elections petition tribunals of akwa ibom and rivers moved to abj because of violence during the elections. Having explained the reason for discarding the card reader they shuld do same for ignoring the violence and over voting which characterised the elections in some disputed states.

bros apc erred in the premise they went to court with.
in akwaibom state apc said there was no election on 11 april 2015.
inec proof its case that there was elections in d state, pdp proof its case that they was election n that they voted.
tribunal annulled election in 18 out of 31 lga in the state.
at appeal apc begged the court to cancel the rmaining 13 lga that there were massive rigging n overvoting n collosal killings in d state, bros how can there be overvoting when thr is no election?
how can thr be rigging when thr was no election?
how can apc have one member in the state house of assembly when thr was no election? it may suffice u to know that elections Into state house of assembly takes place the same day governorship election is held.
so how was dat possible broda?
broda In law it is what u beg that will be given to u, if u take someone to court for stealing 1million naira, the court will do justice to what u appealed for, they wont go extra miles in digging whether the accused also slept with ur wive n kids.
in taraba the apc lady took pdp to tribunal that they won the election considering the fact that the margin was close n thre was violence in one lga which was d deciding local govt area in the state, what dis the tribunal did? I stead of judging based on what the apc candidate prayed for, instead they stepped outside their jurisdiction n gave judgement based on d fact that pdp didnt do primaries n so doing pdp dont have a valid candidate.
but the same case happened In benue whr the pdp guy also requested tne tribunal to award him the certificate being that apc neverdid their primaries n dont hv a valid candidate but that case was thrown out for lacking merit. but in the case of taraba it had merit even when the pettitioner did not include it in her prayers for the court.
broda law is gabbage in gabbage out, u cant seek for banana n get pineapple.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by Akainzo(m): 12:24pm On Feb 07, 2016
yaki84:

imagine the whole elections were cancelled n new poll conducted, mkre than 1000 people dies. wike still win, udom still win, what will be ur benefit please? and also the card reader malfunctions n manual accreditation is adopted.....
d problemwith apc guys is not abt the cardreader or what the supreme court justices ruled, cos d same supreme court ruled in favour of ambode concerning the card reader which agbaje wwent to tribunal cos it wasnt used for accreditation in d guber elections in lagos state. the zombies r sad cos they lost out n couldnt grab atleast an oil producing state after bragging over n over abt it.
if una like 2019 carry guns or bombs come rivers or my state akwaibom, we will surely defeat apc hook line and sinker!
pdp wont come to lagos n win, they wont go to bornk n win nor in zamfara so apc can never come to akwaibom, rivers, delta, bayelsa n think of winning no matter what arsenals they will employ.

The problem with your views is simply that you are analysing only based on the myopic view of APC vs PDP.

By the way, that a party traditionally wins a state does mean the opposition cannot win that state at a point in life. The people in APC in Rivers or Akwa Ibom or Bayelsa are not Hausas or York, but friends, sons, daughters, mothers and fathers of the locals. They are Ikwerres, Ijaws, Kalabaris and Ogonis just as are in PDP.

Lagos had 85% Card Reader use while Rivers had about 22% card reader use. The Tribunal in the Lagos instance held that the elections complied substantially (85%), could you in all honesty say that a 22% should be deemed as substantial compliance?

I hope the NA goes ahead to amend the Electoral Act to put this SC shenanigans to shame. We as a nation will be better for it.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by Nobody: 1:15pm On Feb 07, 2016
vsaintchigs:
the court is not father christmas. it only makes decisions based on issues that are raised in its hollowed chambers,so blame the lagos lawyers for not raising the issue
And you think they don't make that reference point?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Zamfara, Rivers APC Remain Banned – INEC / Bayelsa Election: PDP Supporters Attacked, 1 Killed, Others Injured (Graphic Pix / Lai Mohammed: Twitter Has Reached Us For Talks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.