Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

There Are Political, Economic Gains To My Trips – Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Are Political, Economic Gains To My Trips – Buhari (660 Views)

. / The Political/economic Viability Of Nnewi City / Foreign Trips: Buhari On ‘thank You’ Visits – PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Are Political, Economic Gains To My Trips – Buhari by Bukoholah(f): 8:58am On Feb 07, 2016

Contrary to the position of critics on the president’s overseas trips, President Muhammadu Buhari, yesterday, declared in London that there have been both political and economic benefits to his trips.
Speaking to journalists before embarking on his five days break, the president said: “I haven’t seen any fruitless journey that I have undertaken.”

He chose to particularly respond to Ekiti State governor’s allegation that the trips are frivolous and money guzzling.
“I understand the governor of Ekiti said that every trip I have made costs Nigeria at least one million dollars. I don’t know how he worked that out, but every trip I have made, there must be reasons – economic and political, to justify the trip. So, those who don’t see it the way the government sees it have the right not to agree and to say whatever they like,” the president said.
On his government’s efforts to rid the country of corruption, the president stated that the fight was not selective, and promised not to yield any ground to corrupt elements in the country or in government.

“There is no way we will get a record of any public officer that has misappropriated public funds and leave him alone,” he said.

He noted that the once powerful Boko Haram terrorists, who had a choke-hold on the country’s North-east region, and claimed territories are now in tatters and a shadow of what they used to be.

“Boko Haram used to effectively control 14 local governments and they hoist their flag and declare a caliphate of some sort. Now, Boko Haram is not holding any local government. They are being dispersed, they are in pockets and they have reverted to technology.”

He pointed out that the decimated insurgents are at the moment only left to function with improvised explosive devices, IEDs.
“Improvised Explosive Devices – they get cooking gas, some wares and metals, put them together and get girls mostly from the age of 15 downwards and detonate it in churches, mosques, market places and motor parks and kill people en masse. That is what they do now. We will continue to fight terrorism.”

He restated his government’s readiness to negotiate with any credible leader or representative of the terrorist group, adding that he was aware that some people who want to fraudulently enrich themselves have taken advantage of the kidnap of the Chibok school girls to approach government and make claims of being leaders of Boko Haram and claiming to know the whereabouts of the school girls and demanding money for it.

“People cannot just come and say they know where the Chibok girls are and they want money. Money, what for? Let them deliver, or let us negotiate. If their leadership of Boko Haram is credible, is bonafide, established, then the government is willing to discuss with them to arrive at an agreement on how to recover the girls.”
President Buhari, in a straight talk, expressed worry over the anti-social activities of Nigerians abroad, which he observed, tarnishes their image in their host countries.

He lamented that such image problem has made it difficult for Nigerians who seek to live in the West to gain acceptance by Western nations.
“Some Nigerians claim is that life is too difficult back home, but they have also made it difficult for Europeans and Americans to accept them because of the number of Nigerians in prisons around the world accused of drug trafficking or human trafficking,” the Daily Telegraph newspaper, quoted him.

https://www.today.ng/news/national/76218/there-are-political-economic-gains-to-my-trips-buhari

1 Like

Re: There Are Political, Economic Gains To My Trips – Buhari by ademega(m): 9:03am On Feb 07, 2016
sure
Re: There Are Political, Economic Gains To My Trips – Buhari by Elosky20: 9:04am On Feb 07, 2016
t
Re: There Are Political, Economic Gains To My Trips – Buhari by funnynation(m): 9:06am On Feb 07, 2016
ok
Re: There Are Political, Economic Gains To My Trips – Buhari by funnynation(m): 9:09am On Feb 07, 2016
[quote author=ademega post=42694882]sure [/quote
I'm a Nigerian not a criminal.. Abeg when will you visit Nigeria?

Nairaland official comedian
Re: There Are Political, Economic Gains To My Trips – Buhari by Khd95(m): 9:10am On Feb 07, 2016
Every trip was a hit,frm usa to france,to iran to ghana....to germany to etc etc

trip ti take over,fvck fayose nd other wailing ambassadorsgrin
Re: There Are Political, Economic Gains To My Trips – Buhari by Kastonkastroll(m): 9:24am On Feb 07, 2016
From all the good things the president said, the only part that attracted the wailers was the part were he said some Nigerians are criminally minded and should endeavor to redeem their battered image abroad. Now what the heck is wrong with this statement? The president said the obvious truth that every sane Nigerian know. I have stayed in SA for close to 2yrs and almost all the young Nigerians that I have come across are engaged in one illegality or another criminality. They won't tell you they are fraudsters but from their movements, conversations you will decode the kinda illegality they are involved in.

And that shameless silly twitter senator has the guts to call the president out on social media when he himself is corruption personified. Ben Bruce should tell us what the heck has he done for NTA in his 8 years there. Abi wasn't it the same money he stole from NTA that he still using in running and financing his silverbird station and rhythm FM? lolx were the heck was the uncommon sense senator when his brother(gej) was telling the entire world that stealing is not corruption? The uncommon sense twitter senator is yet to say anything about dasukigate.

One thing that I just know about buhari's statement is, if you are not a criminal you won't be offended with what he said. Well I wasn't even surprised when I saw that all the negative feedbacks about the president's truth were coming from a particular part of the country.

1 Like

Re: There Are Political, Economic Gains To My Trips – Buhari by dechriscool(m): 10:08am On Feb 07, 2016
Bubu,you only gave a blanket reasons of the benefit of your traveled to the country politically and economically.The hidden truth is you are enriching yourself through the traveling allowances accrued to your traveling and tourism.That's corruption in disguise since the country is broke and prudency is needed to save for the country.You travel to sale false information to the international community about the state of the country.Meanwhile your subjects are in absolute pains.Nothing is working,massive retrenchment in the workforce in industries,uprising in kidnapping,hunger in the land,infrastructural decays,rising inflation and many more.Until people start dropping death in the streets before you sit down at home and lead this nation.Stop this international gallivanting and discuss with your economic team the way forward for this country.Put up a palpable people friendly innovations and economic ideas that will move this country forward and see people support you.
Re: There Are Political, Economic Gains To My Trips – Buhari by Kastonkastroll(m): 10:55am On Feb 07, 2016
dechriscool:
Bubu,you only gave a blanket reasons of the benefit of your traveled to the country politically and economically.The hidden truth is you are enriching yourself through the traveling allowances accrued to your traveling and tourism.That's corruption in disguise since the country is broke and prudency is needed to save for the country.You travel to sale false information to the international community about the state of the country.Meanwhile your subjects are in absolute pains.Nothing is working,massive retrenchment in the workforce in industries,uprising in kidnapping,hunger in the land,infrastructural decays,rising inflation and many more.Until people start dropping death in the streets before you sit down at home and lead this nation.Stop this international gallivanting and discuss with your economic team the way forward for this country.Put up a palpable people friendly innovations and economic ideas that will move this country forward and see people support you.
Mr man all the things you mentioned up there didn't start yesterday or 8months ago. Nigeria's economy began to face serious challenges and numerous constrains when the price of crude oil declined. Kidnapping didn't start yesterday, terrorism and every social vice you mentioned up there didn't start yesterday. The previous administration enjoyed a reasonable chunk of money when oil was selling above $100 per barrel. Why didn't you ask the Jonathan administration about the money the saved in our reserves? Didn't they squandered everything without nothing to show?

You want buhari to perform miracles in just 8months? You want buhari to clean up the mess of PDP's 16years of misrule in just 8months. Did buhari ever told you that he is a prophet or a magician? Why are you not calling Jonathan out for his laxity and cluelessness?

• Boko haram became what they are today during Jonathan's tenure.

• Kidnapping was at its zenith during Jonathan's regime. Remember his foster father was kidnapped.

• Insecurity what the order of the day during Jonathan's tenure and corruption was brazenly and shamelessly celebrated.

• The economy began to nosedive at the end of Jonathan's tenure. They even had to borrow money to pay their workers salaries. So why are you calling buhari's name. Abi was buhari the person that told them to loot the nation's treasury dry? Or was buhari the person that told them not to safe for raining days?

You people are funny, you blame a government of 8months for all your woes while ignoring the government that almost destroyed the country for 16yrs or so. Some of you are even at the forefront of defending the looters of our national treasury.

(1) (Reply)

The FEC Meeting Should Be Henceforth Scrapped / APC National Chairman, John Odigie-oyegun Takes 10-day Break From Politics To / Aba Moro Remanded in Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.