Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff (1186 Views)

Protest In Abuja Over Electricity Over-billing / Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos / Resign Now, Labour Unions Tell Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff by SweetLove0(f): 1:21pm On Feb 08, 2016
The organized labour in concert with civil society organizations made good their threat to protest against the 45 per cent hike in electricity tariffs as hordes of protesting workers grounded business activities in Abuja on Monday.

Kicking off the peaceful demonstration from the Labour House at the Central Business Area, the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, Trade Union Congress, TUC, and several other groups first had a whistle stop at the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company, AEDC, located at Wuse Zone 4.

They bore placards with various inscriptions such as ; “Don’t increase electricity Tariff,” “Stop estimated billing,” “NERC and DISCOS obey court order, “Give us prepaid meters “We need light not darkness,” “We cannot pay more for darkness. ”

While addressing the crowd, the President of the NLC, Ayuba Wabba stated that the time of taking people for granted is over, that billing all over the world is based on what you consume. He maintained that there must be a stop to the impunity as the regulatory agency is expected to protect the interest of consumers.

“President Buhari must stand with the people as he promised Nigerians and he must revisit the privatisation of power sector. We would not allow where you ‘Genco and Disco’ to exploit Nigerians, and there must be an end to the estimated billing,” he asserted.

The NLC President decried the outrageous increase in the Tariff as a fraud, asserting that it would be rejected by Nigerians. He said that due process in the extant laws for such increment was not followed in consonance with section 76 of the Power Sector Reform Act, 2005 as there has been no significant improvement in service delivery.

He further argued that the fact is that most consumers are not metered as required by the privatization Memorandum of Understanding, MOU, signed on November 1, 2013, which stipulates that within 18 months gestation period, all consumers are to be metered.

While responding on behalf of the distribution company, its Head of Public Relations, Ahmed Shekarau told the protesters that the company would provide 100,000 prepaid meters free of charge to consumers, and same would repeat in the next five years.

Meanwhile, thousands of the protesters are already heading towards the headquarters of the Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Agency, NERC, and promised to mobilise to the National Assembly where a formal letter would be handed over to the leadership.

http://dailypost.ng/2016/02/08/happening-now-labour-civil-societies-shut-down-abuja-over-electricity-tariff-increase/

2 Likes

Re: Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff by Topestbilly(m): 1:21pm On Feb 08, 2016
Good...

Uselxss people no steady light yet them won increase tariff.

Since it's privatised now, let's see how Mr president will handle this.
Re: Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff by Trailblazer1(m): 1:23pm On Feb 08, 2016
grin grin grin
Re: Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff by DONSMITH123(m): 1:23pm On Feb 08, 2016
this is serious
Re: Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff by dunkem21(m): 1:23pm On Feb 08, 2016
..Click *Like if you think the electricity price is fine and Labour/Civil societies is just being unfair to the govt ..

..*Share to join Organized Labour in solidarity demonstration ..

2 Likes

Re: Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff by Oforleta(m): 1:24pm On Feb 08, 2016
ok
Re: Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff by doyinisaac(m): 1:29pm On Feb 08, 2016
Good riddance to bad rubbish...
Re: Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff by OnankpaBa(m): 1:31pm On Feb 08, 2016
ok
Re: Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff by dunkem21(m): 1:37pm On Feb 08, 2016
Lalasticlala, food don done ..

Abi, you join Labour do 'sit-down strike'
Re: Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff by shaddoww: 1:46pm On Feb 08, 2016
Na OYO dem dey, people wey sell us out during Occupy Naija protest.
Re: Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff by Olaolufred(m): 1:50pm On Feb 08, 2016
[size=14pt]These CLO and NLC sometimes use Nigerians to achieve personal goals.
I am a Nigerian who had been using prepaid meter since 2011.
I have also worked in some other countries and consumed their power as well. I have always prayed that the KWh rate be reviewed up instead of the #750 robbery. The review is an answer to my prayer.
I want to believe those protesting are not benefiting from the #750 robbery called fixed charge.
I did my calculations and found out I will be paying less monthly with fixed charge removed. I also found out I am now absolutely in control of my payment for power usage.
When I travel away for 6 months, I will not be forced to pay #4500 for using nothing.
This idea is good and a way to make power investors more responsible.
To me, it is good news all the way.
Welcome, new tarrif. [/size]
Re: Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff by nasiest(m): 1:51pm On Feb 08, 2016
Good we don't regular electricity in the so called power state anymore.stupid Nerc n stupid Disco.thieves.This is the time buhari needs to show Nigeria that he is for all o...if not we go shout for another change o.
Re: Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff by smoothpapuzy(m): 2:26pm On Feb 08, 2016
Olaolufred:
[size=14pt]These CLO and NLC sometimes use Nigerians to achieve personal goals.
I am a Nigerian who had been using prepaid meter since 2011.
I have also worked in some other countries and consumed their power as well. I have always prayed that the KWh rate be reviewed up instead of the #750 robbery. The review is an answer to my prayer.
I want to believe those protesting are not benefiting from the #750 robbery called fixed charge.
I did my calculations and found out I will be paying less monthly with fixed charge removed. I also found out I am now absolutely in control of my payment for power usage.
When I travel away for 6 months, I will not be forced to pay #4500 for using nothing.
This idea is good and a way to make power investors more responsible.
To me, it is good news all the way.
Welcome, new tarrif. [/size]

Zoo people are not saying that they don't like the idea oh. What they want is to get the smart meter first before you charge them more.
Re: Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff by smoothpapuzy(m): 2:29pm On Feb 08, 2016
What do we have our senators and national assembly members for?
Can't they see the people that voted them in are being scammed?
Re: Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff by Atlantian: 2:31pm On Feb 08, 2016
I paid 200,000 to get a prepaid meter through corruption just to avoid seeing those useless nepa people at my gate. I hate that nonsense called "estimated billing". And since the service charged has been scrapped, NLC should focus on getting every consumer a prepaid meter. The pricing is fair.

1 Like

Re: Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff by Olaolufred(m): 2:45pm On Feb 08, 2016
smoothpapuzy:

Zoo people are not saying that they don't like the idea oh. What they want is to get the smart meter first before you charge them more.

But those who use conventional postpaid meter still pay that robbery charge.
Not paying the charge is a plus.

(1) (Reply)

Aliko Dangote Drops As Forbes Release List Of 2016 World Billionaires(See Top 20 / I Would Have Jailed Saraki’s Lawyer Yesterday Says CCT Chairman - Must Read / Buahari Recieve The Biggest Shock Of His Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.