Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,389 members, 7,819,396 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria (7941 Views)

Federal Allocation To States For The Month Of July 2016 / Ambassadorial List: The Four Omitted States Have No Qualified Candidates - FG / Names Of Those Who Made 2nd Ministerial List - The Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:55pm On Feb 08, 2016
I want some political geeks in the forum to educate me on some "Revenue Allocation Formulas" that could be generally accepted by the Nigeria citizens.

please lets us forget tribalism and discuss this as one Nigeria.
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:58pm On Feb 08, 2016
please guys I need this information urgently

cc: seun lalasticlala tonyebarcanista mogidi ngeneukwu twaci naijaboiy firefire
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by oduastates: 8:13pm On Feb 08, 2016
The only acceptable formula is ,
The federal government should GET OUT.
Buhari or no Buhari. The FG and the constitution from which she gets her power, is the biggest problem.
Ya all know I dislike all these new generation churches.
Total resource control.
This institution called the FG is responsible for spreading poverty ,mismanagement and every other bad thing across the country.
This is the reason why some folk can afford to ban liquor but still want to partake in sharing revenues from same.
Free money ,no effort .
Let states or regions collect their taxes , control their electricity, telecommunications, rail , road , regimental army etc . Let them contribute 10%-50% of their income for the FG upkeep.
For instance , The SW can attract the investment needed for 24hrs electricity. In fact , I believe we can attract the investments needed for virtually everything but the question mark has always been the baggage of the federal government.
Just look at the taxes being removed from the economy of Lagos .
Imagine the state having access to ordinary 20% of that money . Look at the recent charges on bank accounts and the money being removed from the pockets of people who are resident in Lagos or elsewhere.
The FG will take that money and waste it or give to unproductive states. Starving those who are productive thereby spreading the poverty from unproductive states to productive states.
with what is on ground, the FG cannot justify all the money she is vacuuming from states and region .
Look at Borno . That state is in the top 10 of revenue collectors . It also has numerous natural resources and natural wonders. You can see with your own eyes why inspire of all the free money, they have only been able to mass produce illiterates wh are now the foot soldiers of a terrorist army.
Look at those cattle rearers terrorising farmers all over the place . Without the free money , would the leaders of the nomads not have exploited the cattle husbandry value chain. Milk , beef and all . What about the solar and the gas ,which is definitely under the soil ,for electricity production and sale.
Look at Benue with two major rivers and arable land , yet cannot support year round agriculture.
You can give 10 year support for those states or regions who cannot carry their own weight.
No region is poor , the leaders only need to do a little bit of soul searching .

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:21pm On Feb 08, 2016
oduastates:
Total resource control.

This institution called the FG is responsible for spreading poverty ,mismanagement and every other bad thing across the country.
This is the reason why some folk can afford to ban liquor but still want to partake in sharing revenues from same.
Free money ,no effort .
Let states or regions collect their taxes , control their electricity, telecommunications, rail , road , regimental army etc . Let them contribute 10% of their income for the FG upkeep
you made sense but Nigeria practices federalism.I would like us to discuss this base on that aspect. thanks
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:50pm On Feb 08, 2016
sweetboiy:
please guys I need this information urgently

cc: seun lalasticlala tonyebarcanista mogidi ngeneukwu twaci naijaboiy firefire
True Federalism/fiscal autonomy for all ethnic nationalities! El finito!

1 Like

Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:53pm On Feb 08, 2016
sweetboiy:
you made sense but Nigeria practices federalism.I would like us to discuss this base on that aspect. thanks
Nigeria practice Ùnitary-Federalism. Federalism by outlook but Unitary system in practice.

1 Like

Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:00pm On Feb 08, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Nigeria practice Ùnitary-Federalism. Federalism by outlook but Unitary system in practice.
ok... so back to my original question please
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:19pm On Feb 08, 2016
oduastates:
Total resource control.

Free money ,no effort .
Let states or regions collect their taxes , control their electricity, telecommunications, rail , road , regimental army etc . Let them contribute 10% of their income for the FG upkeep
op look no further, dis is wat nigeria needs.

1 Like

Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:22pm On Feb 08, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

True Federalism/fiscal autonomy for all ethnic nationalities! El finito!

bt i'v neva seen u campaign/open a thread for true federalism ,al u do is insulting igbos.

2 Likes

Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Bollove: 9:41pm On Feb 08, 2016
presently the federal government taking maximum share of around 58% or thereabout is wrong and completely wrong.

how could federal govt take more than 36states and 774local govts

The federal govt should take 40%
The state should take 35%
The local govt should take 25%

more developmental responsibility should be given to the states while the federal govt should be responsible for army and foreign missions. Also inter state joint development operation should be promoted among states ..... which one is federal road or state road .....

the federal govt can facilitate construction of interstate roads via counterpart funding by all states affected.

All in all Fiscal Federalism is the way forward, let each state developed with respect to the amount of value she can create for herself.

2 Likes

Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:43pm On Feb 08, 2016
sweetboiy:
ok... so back to my original question please
No formula will work boss

1 Like

Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by codedguy1(m): 9:50pm On Feb 08, 2016
Based on the present revenue structure of the country your question is already flawed because there is no way you can get an acceptable revenue sharing formular.

True federalism/regionalism where a uniform % as tax is paid by every region to the FG is the best way to go. Even this will be contested by some people.

1 Like

Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Wyttcat: 10:11pm On Feb 08, 2016
None, we lost that opportunity. The closest we had to this was when Yoruba asked for regionalism, and instead for other tribes to queue behind it, they looked away. Forget what people are saying here most Nigerians don't know what they want.
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:22pm On Feb 08, 2016
tooco:
bt i'v neva seen u campaign/open a thread for true federalism ,al u do is insulting igbos.
That's not true
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:47pm On Feb 08, 2016
Stop lying to your self and use google to see Igbo proposition about fiscal federalism
Wyttcat:
None, we lost that opportunity. The closest we had to this was when Yoruba asked for regionalism, and instead for other tribes to queue behind it, they looked away. Forget what people are saying here most Nigerians don't know what they want.
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Lordave: 10:54pm On Feb 08, 2016
sweetboiy:
That man gave you the best answer in the world and you say Nigeria practises federalism, what's federalism by the way?
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:59pm On Feb 08, 2016
Yeah 40, 35, 25 for fed, state nd local govt respectively is good. Nd a reasonable proportion from each should be painstakingly faced with addressing issues partaining to the Power, industrial nd Agricultural sectors. It aint by shouting change year to year
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Wyttcat: 11:24pm On Feb 08, 2016
You are the known liar here always jumping from one position to another, sorry I don't chase shadow, post the Google link here if you have one. All that was coming from your end was was one more state and state of residence and some of your people were calling for outright break. The only region that wanted something close to Yoruba is SS.
DikeOha882:
Stop lying to your self and use google to see Igbo proposition about fiscal federalism
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:25am On Feb 09, 2016
oduastates:
Total resource control.

Free money ,no effort .
practising true federalism

1 Like

Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:27am On Feb 09, 2016
sweetboiy:
Nigeria is not practising true federalism. What they practise is paper federalism
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:41am On Feb 09, 2016
supposing we are practicing true federalism, all these boko saga, biafra palava and MEND wahala would have being a thing of the pass to a large extend. True federalism should be practised in all sectors of the economy with each state running his affairs and making laws that would not supersede the federating state. supposing for example we were seeing this in electricity generation, we would have generated up to 10,000 Mw. Lagos state for example generates the largest electricity yet she can not boast of 24 hrs power supply for at least a month instead other states are sharing from what they generate. Delta state alone has about 4 power plant yet they are still in perpetuate black out. to worsen the scenario, the state capital is in total darkness.
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by DerideGull(m): 12:47am On Feb 09, 2016
sweetboiy:
I want some political geeks in the forum to educate me on some "Revenue Allocation Formulas" that could be generally accepted by the Nigeria citizens.

please lets us forget tribalism and discuss this as one Nigeria.

Have you heard about "to your tenets"? If this formula is not acceptable to Nigerian citizens, nothing else will be acceptable to them.
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by fistonati(m): 12:49am On Feb 09, 2016
Pay directly to me and watch how I will protect it with Armoured Tanks grin grin
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by StuntingBlack(m): 12:58am On Feb 09, 2016
In a 'near' perfect fiscal federal system, one that will actually adopt and mimic a participatory model of federalism, the best revenue allocation formula should be good to go based on certain factors like these:

(1)Joint federal-state revenue management institutions in all states:

The motive behind having joint parastatals isnt far fetched- for adequate transparency of revenue management AT EACH STATE. Let me give an instance of this: Imagine FIRS in say Lagos state is pre-composed of officials from both state and federal sides. Can someone please tell me, where will be that room that will allow for mismanagement of funds from either sides? Will you tell me the FG wont go ballistic on Lagos come any sign of foul play by state-side officials? And so will Lagos be silly enough to watch the FG try anything stupid by federal-side officials?
Think of this as a scenario of two business owners CLOSELY monitoring their joint business. The profits just got no single place to run to. It will be shared WITH TOTAL EQUALITY.

(2) Joint federal-state resource management institutions in all states:

This is the exact look-alike of the first example but with only one difference: resource. How so possible for 500,000 barrels of crude oil been minned on a particular day without the knowledge of the FG nor the NDDC state? Or how possible for 10,000kg of cocoa pods to be harvested without the two sides in the know?.
Trust me, this joint parastatals of a thing will so much effectively and automatically self-check both the center and the states.

(3) A 50% participatory tax base from each state to the FG with also 50% participatory revenue allocation to each state from the FG (with LGs and communities to share 50% from the 50% allocated to states)...

Now before you all start landing me criticisms (constructive ones though I think), lets think of the myriad of responsibilities a central power has to face in today's modern world. Yes, I agree simply handling sectors such as roads/bridges, power and energy, agriculture, sports and the likes is just plain stupidity at this point in time. But at the same time, are we aware that many sensitive and expensive sectors can't possibly be in the hands of states? Talk about debt relief, military, national intelligence, security, forex, counter-terrorism, national emergencies, national expedition operations and so on. These ain't kid stuffs fellas, and most of you sure know a large number of them take up a huge chunk of many nations' budgets. A 50% share to the center isnt too big

My suggestion is that, in a well planned fiscal federal system, the FG should handle "sensitive" sectors of the nation (authoritarian-like style of supervision) , handle "some" through joint management institutions with states/private businesses (synergetic-like style of supervision) , and finally, leave others for "all" to control (laissez-faire-like style of supervision). This coupled with the tax collection/revenue allocation system i recommended.

With all these, I believe the above system will do WONDERS.!!!

1 Like

Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by mikolo80: 1:52am On Feb 09, 2016
Bollove:
presently the federal government taking maximum share of around 58% or thereabout is wrong and completely wrong.

how could federal govt take more than 36states and 774local govts

The federal govt should take 40%
The state should take 35%
The local govt should take 25%

more developmental responsibility should be given to the states while the federal govt should be responsible for army and foreign missions. Also inter state joint development operation should be promoted among states ..... which one is federal road or state road .....

the federal govt can facilitate construction of interstate roads via counterpart funding by all states affected.

All in all Fiscal Federalism is the way forward, let each state developed with respect to the amount of value she can create for herself.
SMH, why shouldn't local govt control at least 50% while state and federal get 30 and 20% respectively
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:22am On Feb 09, 2016
oduastates:
Buhari or no Buhari. The FG and the constitution from which she gets her power, is the biggest
Total resource control.
Free money ,no effort .
Let states or regions collect their taxes , control their electricity, telecommunications, rail , road , regimental army etc . Let them contribute 10%-50% of their income for the FG upkeep.
For instance , The SW can attract the investment needed for 24hrs electricity. In fact , I believe we can attract the investments needed for virtually everything but the question mark has always been the baggage of the federal government.
Just look at the taxes being removed from the economy of Lagos .
Imagine the state having access to ordinary 20% of that money . Look at the recent charges on bank accounts and the money being removed from the pockets of people who are resident in Lagos or elsewhere.
The FG will take that money and waste it or give to unproductive states. Starving those who are productive thereby spreading the poverty from unproductive states to productive states.
with what is on ground, the FG cannot justify all the money she is vacuuming from states and region .
Look at Borno . That state is in the top 10 of revenue collectors . It also has numerous natural resources and natural wonders. You can see with your own eyes why inspire of all the free money, they have only been able to mass produce illiterates wh are now the foot soldiers of a terrorist army.
Look at those cattle rearers terrorising farmers all over the place . Without the free money , would the leaders of the nomads not exploited the cattle husbandry value chain. Milk , beef and all . What about the solar and the gas ,which is definitely under the soil ,for electricity production and sale.
Look at Benue with two major rivers and arable land , yet cannot support year round agriculture.
You can give 10 year support for those states or regions to those who cannot carry their own weight.
No region is poor , the leaders only need to do a little bit of soul searching .

Goodness. You are sharp.
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:43am On Feb 09, 2016
An acceptable sharing formula from proceeds of mineral resources could be:

FG - 45%
States - 55%

To ensure that the states keep more of the revenue derived from the exploration of mineral resources, the Petroleum Act of 1969 should be repealed. The law vests exclusive ownership of all mineral resources with the FG.
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by likila: 3:02am On Feb 09, 2016
we have to give free grazing lands to cattle,
then nationalize the cattle!

FREE NAMA FOR ALL NIGERIANS!
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Bollove: 3:52am On Feb 09, 2016
mikolo80:
SMH, why shouldn't local govt control at least 50% while state and federal get 30 and 20% respectively
more development programs occurred at the state level than local government. If you check the constitution , you would be able to decipher the responsibilities of each tiers of government.

50% to LG is misappropriation and Misapplication. 25% is enough for lg to carryout her duty.
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:03am On Feb 09, 2016
Lordave:
That man gave you the best answer in the world and you say Nigeria practises federalism, what's federalism by the way?
a system of national government in which power is divided between a central authority(FG) and its component units like the state and local government. I'm no here to debate over this please...i'm here to get answers to my questions. Thanks
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by Emyogalanya: 11:36am On Feb 09, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
That's not true
thats very true you claim to be a niger deltan but have never championed a single niger delta cause . The only time you show up is when biafra comes up and u start insulting igbo,s what do you want from nigeria
Re: List The Revenue Allocation Formulas That Could Be Generally Accepted In Nigeria by fistonati(m): 12:06pm On Feb 09, 2016
I don't think any revenue formula will work, as long as we waste so much on monarchial
1. monarchial system without any positive impact from it.
2. As long as we continue to pay security votes to state governors without any accountability for it.
3. As long as we don't pay politicians on minimum wage.
4. As long as the government is not accountable to the people.
NOTE:- I will suggest that we go back to regional system of government and work OBJECTIVELY on resources control

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ghana's President, Akufo-addo Congratulates Buhari On His Re-election / IPOB: FG Afraid To Reveal How Nnamdi Kanu Was Extradited - Aloy Ejimakor / Kaduna: El-Rufai’s Ally, Aisha Galadima Released, Accuses DSS Of Assault

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.