Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,898 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:30 PM

Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language (2323 Views)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / The Beauty Of Edo Brides And Women In Their Native Attires / Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by adabeke2(f): 1:44am On Jul 04, 2009
why is it that most nigerian parents , especially the igbo ones refuse to teach their children igbo ,
when i asked some of my uncles and auntys they said its because " they don't want their children to have accents"
, what is that suopposed to mean ? THEN when they see children like infants to teenhers speaking the language
they are amazed and i always hear "i wish " responses , why is that
i really dont get it ?
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by Nobody: 1:46am On Jul 04, 2009
That accent can be very disturbing sometimes. Thankfully I don't have any accent.
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by chiogo(f): 2:53am On Jul 04, 2009
It's funny to me when people say they don't have any accent; EVERYONE has an accent. so long as you speak english which has become almost a universal language, different people use different accents while speaking english. It just depends on people's definition of the word.

In America, when they say you have an accent, it means you have a foreign accent which is different from the American accent. They just have an ignorant way of saying it, like their way of speaking english emerged from nowhere. There's a Bostonian accent, a new york accent, a southern accent, etc. Ofcourse a Nigerian has an accent likewise an American, a Ghanaian, a Jamaican, Bajan, etc.

To really answer the topic, inferiority complex is what is happening. which kain yeye accent that they don't want their kids to have??  tongue I know there's an igbo accent, no doubt. I sure don't have it when speaking english and even if I do, so?  angry
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by iice(f): 3:33am On Jul 04, 2009
Please people can switch accents.  .  .don't see what the problem is.
After all, we can speak fake fune grin cheesy grin
Even combine british with jamaican and new york accents, all in one sentence grin grin
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jul 04, 2009
There are these thick yoruba, hausa and igbo accent that make English very unappealing. Sorry to say that. grin
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by davidif: 12:46am On Jul 05, 2009
There are these thick yoruba, hausa and igbo accent that make English very unappealing. Sorry to say that.

I love my yoruba accent, in fact, i am thinking of developing it and making it thicker. Thank goodness i am not a self loather like you.
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by adabeke2(f): 11:41pm On Jul 05, 2009
chiogo:

It's funny to me when people say they don't have any accent; EVERYONE has an accent. so long as you speak english which has become almost a universal language, different people use different accents while speaking english. It just depends on people's definition of the word.

In America, when they say you have an accent, it means you have a foreign accent which is different from the American accent. They just have an ignorant way of saying it, like their way of speaking english emerged from nowhere. There's a Bostonian accent, a new york accent, a southern accent, etc. Ofcourse a Nigerian has an accent likewise an American, a Ghanaian, a Jamaican, Bajan, etc.

To really answer the topic, inferiority complex is what is happening. which kain yeye accent that they don't want their kids to have?? tongue I know there's an igbo accent, no doubt. I sure don't have it when speaking english and even if I do, so? angry

I like what youre sayinqq , EVERYONE HAS AN ACCENT , lOl cheesy me too sometimes , but i think it ddepens on the people you are around
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jul 06, 2009
davidif:

I love my yoruba accent, in fact, i am thinking of developing it and making it thicker. Thank goodness i am not a self loather like you.

Go and siddon. Yoruba accent ko, igbo accent ni. Imagine speaking like someone who has never seen the four walls of a school all in the name of self liking.

When you are speaking yoruba, use a yoruba accent and when you are speaking English, pronounce the words correctly with the right accent.

Which one be self loathing for there? Cultural mugu. tongue
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by tubabie(f): 12:42pm On Jul 06, 2009
michelin89:

That accent can be very disturbing sometimes. Thankfully I don't have any accent.

Oh yes you do have an accent, everybody does!

chiogo:

To really answer the topic, inferiority complex is what is happening. which kain yeye accent that they don't want their kids to have??  tongue I know there's an igbo accent, no doubt. I sure don't have it when speaking english and even if I do, so?  angry

Gbam!!

I must say some folks could do with improving their intonation of the English language and placing the stress on the right words.
Now to the topic, I think parents should strike a balance and teach their children their native languages! Why do we Nigerians want to lose all ties to our roots all in a bid to conform to someone else's.
I am sure most peeps have the ability to switch accents quite well like Iice stated earlier so that lets keep speaking our native languages!
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jul 06, 2009
tubabie:

I already have that Nigerian thick accent why would I want to add my native language's? Abeg those who come here to boast of their yoruba or igbo accent are just pathetic beings who can't find better ways of justifying that horrible accent.
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by tubabie(f): 1:07pm On Jul 06, 2009
michelin89:

I already have that Nigerian thick accent why would I want to add my native language's? Abeg those who come here to boast of their yoruba or igbo accent are just pathetic beings who can't find better ways of justifying that horrible accent.
Which is the Nigerian accent again? undecided grin You peeps are amazing.
Now what is the pathetic side to having an accent? Does it put you on a lower pedestal or what? like I said earlier , if you can learn the art of switching accents to suit your environment/language if it makes you feel comfortable then do it.
But dont put pathetic labels on those who dont!
Some of the most influential Africans we have today still speak with their native accents and that has not made them less relevant. People like Nelson Mandela, Kofi Annan etc
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 06, 2009
tubabie:

Which is the Nigerian accent again? undecided grin You peeps are amazing.
Now what is the pathetic side to having an accent? Does it put you on a lower pedestal or what? like I said earlier , if you can learn the art of switching accents to suit your environment/language if it makes you feel comfortable then do it.
But dont put pathetic labels on those who dont!
Some of the most influential Africans we have today still speak with their native accents and that has not made them less relevant. People like Nelson Mandela, Kofi Annan etc

When a Nigerian is speaking, you know him. When a Ghanaian is peaking you know him. When an American is speaking you know him, etc,

Why add other accents that derive from your native language? I think that's just an inability to speak proper English. It's not just about grammar and using the correct tenses, pronunciation and accent matter too.

Any English speaking country has their peculiarity. Even Australians are said to speak a "strange" English. Nobody is talking about getting British, but at least, by your country's standard, speak a clean English without contaminating it with native accents.
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by tubabie(f): 1:23pm On Jul 06, 2009
michelin89:

When a Nigerian is speaking, you know him. When a Ghanaian is peaking you know him. When an American is speaking you know him, etc,

Why add other accents that derive from your native language? I think that's just an inability to speak proper English. It's not just about grammar and using the correct tenses, pronunciation and accent matter too.

Any English speaking country has their peculiarity. Even Australians are said to speak a "strange" English. Nobody is talking about getting British, but at least, by your country's standard, speak a clean English without contaminating it with native accents.

I quote below what I earlier said, and i guess we are in agreement on that, but what am pressing now is not to make it seem like its a pathetic
case.

tubabie:

Gbam!!

I must say some folks could do with improving their intonation of the English language and placing the stress on the right words.

Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jul 06, 2009
tubabie:

I quote below what I earlier said, and i guess we are in agreement on that, but what am pressing now is not to make it seem like its a pathetic
case.

My bad. Pathetic withdrawn and replaced with funny. Honestly a young person speaking with a native accent will just get me laughing at his face.

Leave that for Old Chukuma and Baba Suwe! grin
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by tubabie(f): 1:48pm On Jul 06, 2009
michelin89:

My bad. Pathetic withdrawn and replaced with funny. Honestly a young person speaking with a native accent will just get me laughing at his face.

Leave that for Old Chukuma and Baba Suwe! grin
ok good! grin grin grin
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by affablekay: 1:19pm On Jul 08, 2009
Guys, i think we are missing the point here,

The question is, why are parents refusing to teach their children their native language?

Learning a language is quite different from whatever accent you want to use and do the speaking. For me, it is essential for a child to know his/her native language. I do not regret learning Igbo, because it has never affected the way i speak and will never. And of course, I won't fail to teach my children my language.

LETS BE PROUD OF OUR ROOTS BECAUSE WITHOUT THAT, WE DON'T HAVE ANY IDENTITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by asha80(m): 1:25pm On Jul 08, 2009
michelin89:

To a nigerian u might not have an accent ie nobody can say which ethnic group u come from from ur accent but to a british or an american u definitly have an accent.
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jul 08, 2009
asha 80:

To a nigerian u might not have an accent ie nobody can say which ethnic group u come from from ur accent but to a british or an american u definitly have an accent.

We are talking about Nigeria. Even Australians, Americans and Canadians have an accent according to a British man.
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by asha80(m): 1:43pm On Jul 08, 2009
michelin89:

We are talking about Nigeria. Even Australians, Americans and Canadians have an accent according to a British man.

Since we are not native english speakers i do not think we should be too bothered about the accent of a fellow nigerian.So yourubas with their "h" factor,igbos with with their "taty" instead of thirty or hausas using "f" instead of "p" and vice varsa i think we should live with it grin.Funnily i yet to indentify what other ethnic groups are known when speaking english.
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jul 08, 2009
asha 80:

Since we are not native english speakers i do not think we should be too bothered about the accent of a fellow nigerian.So yourubas with their "h" factor,igbos with with their "taty" instead of thirty or hausas using "f" instead of "p" and vice varsa i think we should live with it grin.Funnily i yet to indentify what other ethnic groups are known when speaking english.

Calabar?? grin
Re: Some Nigerian Parents Refusing To Teach Their Children Their Native Language by tamme: 4:23pm On Jul 11, 2009
" they don't want their children to have accents"

grin

(1) (Reply)

That Attitude When You Enter A Canteen To Chop (pics) / Igbo Cultural Renaissance / Ndigbo,do You Dislike Anambra People,come In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.