Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,925 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

My Toyota Avalon 2000 Model Jerks When I Exceed 80 Kmh - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Toyota Avalon 2000 Model Jerks When I Exceed 80 Kmh (1558 Views)

The All New 2019 Toyota Avalon Is Full Of Sophistication And Style (photos) / 7 Reasons Why Car Jerks When Accelerating / Car Jerks When Gear Is Engaged (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Toyota Avalon 2000 Model Jerks When I Exceed 80 Kmh by Ibekwe7: 9:49am On Feb 09, 2016
Help pls my car starts jerking when I try to exceed 80 Kmh I noticed this yesterday ,it is acting like the speed limit is set at 80kmh, it was normal until yesterday. what could be the problem. I scanned it and it showed me cylinder 1,3,5 misfire I have changed the coils and rescanned it, I was still seeing cylinder misfire. Pls help,should I change the plugs?
Re: My Toyota Avalon 2000 Model Jerks When I Exceed 80 Kmh by Kashif(m): 1:13pm On Feb 09, 2016
It is unlikely that all your plugs in one bank will die at the same time.

Check connections.
Re: My Toyota Avalon 2000 Model Jerks When I Exceed 80 Kmh by seyiaderinto(m): 1:24pm On Feb 09, 2016
Ur car is suffering from what is called poor acceleration, so poor revv service needs to be done first before going to the changing of plugs if u are in Lagos, u can contact tomi on 08093734672
Re: My Toyota Avalon 2000 Model Jerks When I Exceed 80 Kmh by honmusa(m): 8:17pm On Feb 09, 2016
Ibekwe7:
Help pls my car starts jerking when I try to exceed 80 Kmh I noticed this yesterday ,it is acting like the speed limit is set at 80kmh, it was normal until yesterday. what could be the problem. I scanned it and it showed me cylinder 1,3,5 misfire I have changed the coils and rescanned it, I was still seeing cylinder misfire. Pls help,should I change the plugs?
Inspect the condition of the spark plug ,if the plug are ok,go for cylinder compression test for that misfiring bank .
contact autologic@08061166316 for compression test and further intensive diagnosis of the issue.
Re: My Toyota Avalon 2000 Model Jerks When I Exceed 80 Kmh by DECOtech(m): 3:41pm On Feb 10, 2016
Ibekwe7:

You changed park plugs, scanned and still got same codes, Abi? The problem is not plugs.

What you have is a low fuel pressure along your bank 1 fuel rail which is not strong enough to support engine power that is needed to propel your car beyond 80km/h.

To confirm this, get a fuel pressure tester to know what pressures you are currently getting from the fuel pump and what you are having along the fuel rails.

It might just be a clogged fuel filter, clogged fuel rails or even a weakening fuel pump that needs replacement. sometimes this kind of problem can be caused by a tiny leakage along the fuel lines where fuel is being leaked out or air is being sucked into the line depending on the position of the cut. so check everything.
Re: My Toyota Avalon 2000 Model Jerks When I Exceed 80 Kmh by mexxy1(m): 6:00pm On Feb 10, 2016
Ibekwe7:

I was experiencing similar jerking and hesitation (2004 Honda Pilot) when I try to accelerate. Funny thing is mine started after I replaced all six (6) plugs as part of preventive maintenance.

Well, I cleaned the EGR valve, EGR ports, PCV, yet no change. I was contemplating changing the ignition coils as I was getting random misfires whenever I scanned.

Today, I decided to clean the injectors and see what happens before I replace ignition coils. I got home not long ago from the mechanic workshop that cleaned the injectors and I've not felt any jerking after the cleaning.

I cleared the stored codes after a test drive with the mechanic. Drove for about 45minutes home. Scanned again and no codes. You should try that.
Re: My Toyota Avalon 2000 Model Jerks When I Exceed 80 Kmh by autotrader2: 9:17pm On Feb 10, 2016
mexxy1:

I was experiencing similar jerking and hesitation (2004 Honda Pilot) when I try to accelerate. Funny thing is mine started after I replaced all six (6) plugs as part of preventive maintenance.

Well, I cleaned the EGR valve, EGR ports, PCV, yet no change. I was contemplating changing the ignition coils as I was getting random misfires whenever I scanned.

Today, I decided to clean the injectors and see what happens before I replace ignition coils. I got home not long ago from the mechanic workshop that cleaned the injectors and I've not felt any jerking after the cleaning.

I cleared the stored codes after a test drive with the mechanic. Drove for about 45minutes home. Scanned again and no codes. You should try that.

Did you check your fuel filter and subsequently fuel pump? You'll be amazed at the codes a clogged filter can throw up
Re: My Toyota Avalon 2000 Model Jerks When I Exceed 80 Kmh by mexxy1(m): 9:01am On Feb 11, 2016
autotrader2:

Did you check your fuel filter and subsequently fuel pump? You'll be amazed at the codes a clogged filter can throw up

A guy who sells Honda spare parts here suggested I checked those but, I didn't want to tamper with those.

What I was getting at various times was misfires in different banks as well as random multiple misfire. I intend replacing the EGR valve later as I was getting EGR valve insufficient lift along with the misfires which are all gone now. I noticed the EGR valve had no gasket when I loosened it to clean it.
Re: My Toyota Avalon 2000 Model Jerks When I Exceed 80 Kmh by autotrader2: 12:43pm On Feb 11, 2016
mexxy1:

A guy who sells Honda spare parts here suggested I checked those but, I didn't want to tamper with those.

What I was getting at various times was misfires in different banks as well as random multiple misfire. I intend replacing the EGR valve later as I was getting EGR valve insufficient lift along with the misfires which are all gone now. I noticed the EGR valve had no gasket when I loosened it to clean it.

Ok. If your acceleration is back to normal then all good. However, if any further hitches occur, then your fuel filter and maybe pump should be looked at. Given the age of your car, I can bet my last dollar that your filter needs to be given a second look
Re: My Toyota Avalon 2000 Model Jerks When I Exceed 80 Kmh by mexxy1(m): 1:26pm On Feb 11, 2016
autotrader2:

Ok. If your acceleration is back to normal then all good. However, if any further hitches occur, then your fuel filter and maybe pump should be looked at. Given the age of your car, I can bet my last dollar that your filter needs to be given a second look

Thanks for the advice. I believe fuel filter may have been changed before because, like I pointed out earlier, EGR had no gasket when I removed it for cleaning. Vehicle was well maintained (before I got it online through Calculusx) by previous owner and I am doing my best in terms of maintenance.

Been moving around a lot today. No codes, no jerking!

I intend buying a new EGR valve and Oxygen sensors as part of my continuing preventive maintenance.

(1) (Reply)

My Advice To Car Buyers / My 08 Toyota Camry Air Conditioner / Contact Us Today For Genuine Car Parts.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.