Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,542 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

10 Pro-biafra Protesters Killed In Aba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 10 Pro-biafra Protesters Killed In Aba (598 Views)

Militants Back Pro-biafra Agitators, Give FG June 3 Ultimatum: PUNCH / Police Arrest 125 Pro-biafra Protesters In Delta / We’ll Crush Pro-biafra Protesters In Rivers —governor Wike Warns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

10 Pro-biafra Protesters Killed In Aba by Marlboro1: 4:17am On Feb 10, 2016
Ten persons were killed and another 20 injured in yesterday’s protest by the Independent People of Biafra (IPOB) in Aba, Abia State, when the protesters clashed with security agencies.

Unconfirmed reports said over 30 members are receiving treatment in various hospitals in the city while another 20 are in detention.

A source said the protesters gathered at Ibo National High School for prayers before their plan was aborted. “In the morning, we gathered at Ibo National High School for prayers and address by the Aba coordinator

“While the prayers were on, we noticed police patrol vans and because we locked the gate, they could not enter. They attempted to scale the fence, but could not. Shortly after, soldiers came in Hilux vans and scaled the fence.

“When they entered, they asked for our coordinator but we resisted them. The next thing we heard was gunshot. I can’t say how many died because there was a stampede as people tried to escape.”

He added that no amount of killings or intimidation would discourage the group from pursuing its cause as the protest would continue on Friday.

Commissioner of Police Joshak Habila could not be reached for comments.

Police spokesman Ezekiel Udeviotu Onyeke was also yet to comment as at press time.

Spokesman of the Ohafia 14 Brigade Army, Major Mbaneme Sidney could also not be reached but a source at the 144 Battalion at Ukwa West denied the allegation that soldiers shot the protesters. He said the arrested members had been handed over to the police for further investigation.

Read more http://africaonline.cc/index.php/2016/02/10/10-pro-biafra-protesters-killed-in-aba/
Re: 10 Pro-biafra Protesters Killed In Aba by jamesharryson(m): 4:28am On Feb 10, 2016
Re they protesting? No! Then y shooting them?
Re: 10 Pro-biafra Protesters Killed In Aba by Nobody: 5:17am On Feb 10, 2016
jamesharryson:
Re they protesting? No! Then y shooting them?
“When they entered, they asked for our coordinator but we resisted them. The next thing we heard was gunshot. I can’t say how many died because there was a stampede as people tried to escape.”

If you can make sense from the above. The soldiers merely asked for the coordinator and the IPOB members mounted resistance. Then they claimed that they heard gunshot followed by stampede. Who fired. And could the death; if any have resulted from the ensuing stampede since the gates were still locked
Re: 10 Pro-biafra Protesters Killed In Aba by chriskosherbal(m): 5:25am On Feb 10, 2016
I vote for peace in this country.
Re: 10 Pro-biafra Protesters Killed In Aba by Nobody: 5:29am On Feb 10, 2016
You cant force people to be united with you by pulling trigger....

I love peace but i think IPOB is a dead project......i mean, their agitation is meaningless without counter assault and resistant forces in place.....
Re: 10 Pro-biafra Protesters Killed In Aba by Mynd44: 5:34am On Feb 10, 2016

(1)

Meet The Patron Saint Of Aso Rock- St. Buhari / FG Now Collecting Subsidy From NNPC, Others For Imported Petrol – PPPRA / Benue South Re-run: Nigerians React As APC Concedes Defeat, Congratulates Mark

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.