Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,418 members, 7,954,655 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:11 AM

How To Win Argument(s) On Forums And Social Media. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Win Argument(s) On Forums And Social Media. (963 Views)

Man Dresses Like Female Student To Win SUG Election At Anambra State University / Another Chance For 10 Good Students To Win 10k each / UTME 2017: Thread For Art and Social Science Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Win Argument(s) On Forums And Social Media. by Nobody: 7:33pm On Feb 11, 2016
These steps are tips to win argument(s) mostly on a forum like nairaland and other social media platform. I use them and they never fail to work effectively. The steps are as follows:

Timing: Typically, the first person to reply to the thread has a greater chance of swinging the original person's (OP) view than someone who joins the debate later on.

Alternative terminology: Use words that are different to those used in the post.
For example, if discussing climate change, describing it as global warming in a reply makes more of an impact than using the same terminology as the OP.

Use calm language: The study suggests using 'calm' language to make a point is more effective than swearing or using aggressive terms.
In the paper, examples of 'calm' words include those that are softer-sounding such as 'librarian' and 'dull' than harsh, 'sharp' words such as 'terrorism' and 'er ection.'

Length: Longer replies in general also tend to be seen as more persuasive.

Evidence: Using numbers, statistics and examples to back up opinions make people sound more convincing.
To push this point, commenters should specifically write 'e.g', 'for instance' or 'i.e' before presenting these arguments to strengthen their persuasiveness.

Links: Quotes and quotation marks play little role in trying to convince someone, but linking to examples and outside sources does.

Hedge your bets: Hedges indicate uncertainty, and an example is: 'It could be the case'.
Although this sounds like it might signal a weaker argument, the researchers said it may make an argument easier to accept by softening its tone.

Check the language in the original post:People can 'pick their battles' and decide whether or not it's worth engaging in an argument by studying the terms used by the OP.
Personal pronouns, such as 'I' suggest a person is more open-minded to persuasion, but the use of the words 'we' and 'us' suggests they are more stubborn.
Stubborn people use more emotive and decisive words including 'certain', 'nothing' and 'best.'

Know when to give up:Finally, the researchers found that after four or five 'back and forth' posts have been made, the chances of swaying someone's view significantly drops.

2 Likes

Re: How To Win Argument(s) On Forums And Social Media. by phabulux: 12:42am On Aug 09, 2016
aaronson:
These steps are tips to win argument(s) mostly on a forum like nairaland and other social media platform. I use them and they never fail to work effectively. The steps are as follows:

Timing: Typically, the first person to reply to the thread has a greater chance of swinging the original person's (OP) view than someone who joins the debate later on.

Alternative terminology: Use words that are different to those used in the post.
For example, if discussing climate change, describing it as global warming in a reply makes more of an impact than using the same terminology as the OP.

Use calm language: The study suggests using 'calm' language to make a point is more effective than swearing or using aggressive terms.
In the paper, examples of 'calm' words include those that are softer-sounding such as 'librarian' and 'dull' than harsh, 'sharp' words such as 'terrorism' and 'er ection.'

Length: Longer replies in general also tend to be seen as more persuasive.

Evidence: Using numbers, statistics and examples to back up opinions make people sound more convincing.
To push this point, commenters should specifically write 'e.g', 'for instance' or 'i.e' before presenting these arguments to strengthen their persuasiveness.

Links: Quotes and quotation marks play little role in trying to convince someone, but linking to examples and outside sources does.

Hedge your bets: Hedges indicate uncertainty, and an example is: 'It could be the case'.
Although this sounds like it might signal a weaker argument, the researchers said it may make an argument easier to accept by softening its tone.

Check the language in the original post:People can 'pick their battles' and decide whether or not it's worth engaging in an argument by studying the terms used by the OP.
Personal pronouns, such as 'I' suggest a person is more open-minded to persuasion, but the use of the words 'we' and 'us' suggests they are more stubborn.
Stubborn people use more emotive and decisive words including 'certain', 'nothing' and 'best.'

Know when to give up:Finally, the researchers found that after four or five 'back and forth' posts have been made, the chances of swaying someone's view significantly drops.

I was passing by!

curiosity got me! Pall bearers (with hefted carriage) were bearing the loss...

They were flipping aaronson!

I was told that they made a poor loss. I learnt that jagunlabi succumbed to the greatest problem of Nigerian youth: crass irresponsibility of the first water!

Son of Aaron.

(I hate 'ya, y'know?)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Win Argument(s) On Forums And Social Media. by phabulux: 12:44am On Aug 09, 2016
When did this guy die?

(1) (Reply)

Federal University Of Technology Yola 2016/2017 Post-utme Form Is Out & On Sale / Breaking News:jamb Clarifies 2016 Admission Strategy / Update On School Fee In Delta State Institutions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.