Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,702 members, 7,813,321 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:46 AM

Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants (37814 Views)

Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants / Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. / Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by evanscheck(m): 2:25pm On Oct 12, 2019
I need all u know abt migration to canada cos am so down for it it . I can spend 6 years in school to come and end my dream in a shop . I feel i deserve more from life

kjbobo:

Hello Ebony,
What help do you need exactly?
I am Pharmacist too...grad from Ife 5 years ago...and I moved to Canada for my Masters in Health science a month ago.....and have started the first stage of conversion exams here....So lemme know what help you need....
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by divo(m): 7:38pm On Oct 12, 2019
evanscheck:

I need all u know abt migration to canada cos am so down for it it . I can spend 6 years in school to come and end my dream in a shop . I feel i deserve more from life

Cn I have your contact
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by evanscheck(m): 8:23am On Nov 09, 2019
divo:

Cn I have your contact

Sorry I sending it late being offline
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by nlPoster: 9:05pm On Jan 25, 2020
DiplomaticG:
After writing jamb 3 times to study medcine I finally decided to try pharmacy, and as Fate would have it I got admitted in UNN. Higly gratefull to God actully, but somewhere inside me I'm like, "dude u know medcine is d ish". So ryt now I dunno if i should rewrite jamb and put medcine or to continue wit Pharm.. I'm a fresher though.. Pls Greatest Pharmacist talk to me, is d course fun? lucrative? fulfilling? I'm curious abt all these stuffs... Talk to me pls...

So what did you decide?
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by Shunbis(m): 4:15pm On Jun 17, 2020
There are challenges being faced by Hospital pharmacists, how do we get to manage it, and make the profession what its supposed to be.
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jun 17, 2020
Shunbis:
There are challenges being faced by Hospital pharmacists, how do we get to manage it, and make the profession what its supposed to be.
elaborate plz
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by Velluto: 1:38am On Sep 18, 2020
Obinoscopy:
pls i need d past questions or question models of the US and UK Board Licensing Exam. I'll be grateful if u can post it in this forum.

Boss. I've been looking for you, please can I have your contact, I'm a pharmacy student, planning to move to The US or Canada after graduation. I'd need from information from you please.
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by Nobody: 10:41am On Sep 18, 2020
Velluto:

Boss. I've been looking for you, please can I have your contact, I'm a pharmacy student, planning to move to The US or Canada after graduation. I'd need from information from you please.
we are together

1 Like

Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by flyingpig: 6:42pm On Sep 18, 2020
banjo022:
we are together
we are threegether

1 Like

Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by Obinoscopy(m): 4:06pm On Oct 10, 2020
Velluto:

I only have info on how to become a pharmacist in the US. Don't know much about Canada.

So to become a pharmacist in the US, you have to pass the Foreign Pharmacist Exam (FPGEE) and then you'll be required to write the State Board Exams.

Each State in the US has their own State board exams so you will have to select the State where you wish to practice and write their exam. However, the State Board exams is conducted by the same body....NABP. And the exam comprises NAPLEX and MPJE. NAPLEX is clinically oriented while MPJE is pharmacy law oriented.

Once you pass the State Board Exams, you can then do your internship. You are required to intern for 1500 hrs before you can get your license. Note that some States require that you intern first before writing the State Board Exams while others require that you intern after passing the exams. So it varies.

To write FPGEE, you need to pass TOEFL and also to get the required documentations. The pass mark for TOEFL is very high (you must get a score of 22 in Reading, 21 in Listening, 26 in Speaking and 24 in Writing) and TOEFL must be written in the US. The other documentations required are your transcript, your B Pharm or Pharm D certificate, your Nigerian PCN license, and letters from both your school and PCN confirming that you are a Pharmacist. You don't need to have any work permit or greencard to write the FPGEE Exam. You don't need to habe social security number.

For NAPLEX and MPJE however, you must have your social security number before you can write those. And to get your socials, you must either be a student in the US or have your work permit or a green card.

Getting internship hours in the US is also very difficult....especially if you want to be paid while working as an intern. The best route to go is to first work as a cashier in hospitals or pharmacies and then you can grow and develop good relationship with the management. You can even grow to become an Pharm Tech while working with them. So once you've passed your Board Exam, you can then ask that they convert you to become an intern.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by allisonwale: 12:40pm On Feb 10, 2021
Hi guys.

There are job openings for Pharmacists at facilities in Ikeja and Lekki, Lagos Nigeria

The pay is 100,000 monthly

Interested persons should kindly send a whatsapp text to this number 08070507961
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by Shunbis(m): 3:05am On Feb 26, 2021
Nigeria FG due to debts and less revenue slashes the salary of intern pharmacists and others.
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by Mobifoluwa: 1:39am On Mar 15, 2021
Genemedics pharmacy is hiring

Full time Pharmacist needed at Genemedics Pharmacy

Interested candidates should kindly send a watsapp text to 07033746990.
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by JIREN01: 8:36am On Apr 07, 2021
Obinoscopy:
I only have info on how to become a pharmacist in the US. Don't know much about Canada.

So to become a pharmacist in the US, you have to pass the Foreign Pharmacist Exam (FPGEE) and then you'll be required to write the State Board Exams.

Each State in the US has their own State board exams so you will have to select the State where you wish to practice and write their exam. However, the State Board exams is conducted by the same body....NABP. And the exam comprises NAPLEX and MPJE. NAPLEX is clinically oriented while MPJE is pharmacy law oriented.

Once you pass the State Board Exams, you can then do your internship. You are required to intern for 1500 hrs before you can get your license. Note that some States require that you intern first before writing the State Board Exams while others require that you intern after passing the exams. So it varies.

To write FPGEE, you need to pass TOEFL and also to get the required documentations. The pass mark for TOEFL is very high (you must get a score of 22 in Reading, 21 in Listening, 26 in Speaking and 24 in Writing) and TOEFL must be written in the US. The other documentations required are your transcript, your B Pharm or Pharm D certificate, your Nigerian PCN license, and letters from both your school and PCN confirming that you are a Pharmacist. You don't need to have any work permit or greencard to write the FPGEE Exam. You don't need to habe social security number.

For NAPLEX and MPJE however, you must have your social security number before you can write those. And to get your socials, you must either be a student in the US or have your work permit or a green card.

Getting internship hours in the US is also very difficult....especially if you want to be paid while working as an intern. The best route to go is to first work as a cashier in hospitals or pharmacies and then you can grow and develop good relationship with the management. You can even grow to become an Pharm Tech while working with them. So once you've passed your Board Exam, you can then ask that they convert you to become an intern.
Hi legend, can I sit for the FPGEE in Nigeria or I'll need to do that in the US? And if so, what class of visa do I apply for to do that?
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by Obinoscopy(m): 11:56pm On Apr 09, 2021
JIREN01:
Hi legend, can I sit for the FPGEE in Nigeria or I'll need to do that in the US? And if so, what class of visa do I apply for to do that?
No. You can only write it in the US. FPGEE can be written with any kind of visa....even Visit Visa.

1 Like

Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by Alexis11: 10:09pm On May 23, 2021
Obinoscopy:
No. You can only write it in the US. FPGEE can be written with any kind of visa....even Visit Visa.

Good evening boss... How easy it is for a pharmacist (Pharm.D) to do MSc or Mpharm in USA

Can you help explain the process??

Money is not a problem.

Anticipating your reply sir
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by noweakness: 11:20pm On Sep 24, 2021
Obinoscopy:

Hi, will it improve my chances of receiving funding/admission if my MSC program is same with my undergraduate project topic? Or, such relationships do not matter with regards to Msc in Pharmacy?

Please, reply urgently. I have Monday to choose my project topic.

Obinoscopy, please reply.
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by noweakness: 11:21pm On Sep 24, 2021
Alexis11:

Good evening boss... How easy it is for a pharmacist (Pharm.D) to do MSc or Mpharm in USA

money is not a problem.

I want dey lyk u oo cheesy
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by Obinoscopy(m): 2:06pm On Sep 25, 2021
noweakness:
Hi, will it improve my chances of receiving funding/admission if my MSC program is same with my undergraduate project topic? Or, such relationships do not matter with regards to Msc in Pharmacy?

Please, reply urgently. I have Monday to choose my project topic.

Obinoscopy, please reply.
I honestly don't know. But I will recommend you choose a project topic you are confident in.

1 Like

Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by Kwara1stson: 7:14pm On Sep 25, 2021
Obinoscopy:
I honestly don't know. But I will recommend you choose a project topic you are confident in.
someone who came out with 2.2 can he get funding/scholarship
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by yunqdady: 5:14pm On Sep 27, 2021
Alexis11:

Money is not a problem.

Oshey Obi Cubana
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by Bruxxels: 4:56am On Nov 16, 2021
Alexis11:

Money is not a problem.

If US is difficult which I think it shouldnt be give Australia a try , https://www.griffith.edu.au/study/degrees/master-of-pharmacy-5661#apply
and
PROFESSIONAL RECOGNITION
Graduates of this program will be eligible to apply for registration with the Pharmacy Board of Australia (via the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency) subject to meeting any additional requirements that may be stipulated by the Pharmacy Board of Australia. As these requirements may change from time to time, students should contact the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency to confirm registration requirements.
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by Bruxxels: 5:00am On Nov 16, 2021
International Applicants
International Students
International Students eligible to apply to the PharmD program provided that they meet the following requirements:

TOEFL is required with a minimum score as follows: Internet-based test: 100, Computer-based test: 250 or Paper-based test: 600-603 (F-1 Visa Students Only). Scores are based on the TOEFL Internet-based Test Score Comparison Tables, published by ETS (Educational Testing Services 2005). “Official” scores are valid for only two years, and must be submitted by the application deadline. The TOEFL does not need to be retaken if an applicant completes a BA or BS degree in a native English-speaking country. Degree must be awarded by the time of application. Native English -speaking countries include only the following: US, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand. Send TOEFL scores directly to PharmCAS. PharmCAS code – 8246
International Applicants must meet all established application criteria
PharmCAS Application Deadlines
Recommendation
Applicants must meet all established academic requirements
Foreign transcript review (see below)
Review of coursework (course description and/or syllabus) to determine acceptability as meeting prerequisites – Note that most international coursework will not count towards our prerequisite requirements.
Recommended completion of math and science coursework within five years of application
Applicants may be advised to take or retake coursework if courses that have already been taken do not satisfy our prerequisites
Applicants must meet establish Prerequisite and Cumulative GPA thresholds for consideration of offer of interview
Prerequisites must be completed by the end of Spring Term of the year of application
If offered admission, international applicants must provide proof of ability to meet costs of the PharmD Program. International students are not eligible to apply for financial aid. (This will be addressed in more detail in the PharmD Application information)
If offered admission, all students including international applicants must provide proof of individual health insurance coverage as well as protection against a number of vaccine-preventable diseases and documentation regarding surveillance for tuberculosis
Foreign Transcripts
ALL transcripts for coursework completed at foreign colleges or universities must be translated and evaluated course-by-course by a certified agency. The UW School of Pharmacy will only accept evaluations from the following certified agencies: Educational Credentials Evaluations (ECE), World Education Services (WES), or Educational Perspectives. These transcripts and evaluations are required although the coursework does not apply toward the pharmacy prerequisites.

To obtain additional information or download the application form on-line, please contact any of the following certified agencies:

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc (ECE)
P. O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203–3470
414–289–3400
E-mail: eval@ece.org

Educational Perspectives
P. O. Box 618056
Chicago, IL 60661–8056
312–421–9300
E-mail: info@educational-perspectives.org

World Education Services (WES)
P. O. Box 745, Old Chelsea Station
New York, NY 10113–0745
1–800–937–3895
E-mail: info@wes.org

For more information contact uwpharmd@uw.edu

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is temporary authorization for practical training directly related to a student’s major field of study. Students in F-1 status must apply for CPT authorization before starting all off-campus learning activities. US Immigration regulations state that CPT authorization is required for all off-campus activity, including required experiential education (practicums), and internship experience (unpaid or paid).

CPT associated with the PharmD curriculum:
Because the PharmD Program requires experiential learning starting in the first year, International Students (F-1 visa holders) are eligible to apply immediately for CPT associated with the curriculum.

CPT associated with employment, paid or unpaid, as a pharmacist intern:
International students (F-1 visa holders) may be also be eligible for internship-related practical training while enrolled full-time in the UW PharmD Program. Each international student is assigned to a UW ISS (International Student Services) advisor, who will determine individual student eligibility for employment-associated Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

Eligibility for CPT relies on a student’s prior history of education in the US, how the activity is in compliance with US government immigration rules (as assessed by UW ISS) and how the activity is supported by the academic department as related to the degree program (as assessed by School of Pharmacy advisors and faculty).
Students must have a job before application for CPT, and CPT is authorized for that specific job. If a student is authorized for CPT for a specific job and finds another job opportunity or wishes to leave a current job during an authorized CPT period, the student must submit a request to terminate the authorized CPT and a request to authorize a new CPT site.
Here are ISS resources and instructions to start the process:
You can take the online CPT Orientation Course to help familiarize yourself with the CPT process
Please review the ISS CPT information, including eligibility rules, application instructions, etc.
ISS also offers monthly information sessions
Implications for Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Under Federal immigration law, there is no limit to CPT; however, if students use more than 12 months of full-time CPT, they will lose the opportunity to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) and may lose their ability to remain legally in the U.S. after degree completion.

PharmD students interested in applying for OPT should consider the following:

Core (required) experiential courses in the School of Pharmacy PharmD “Purple” curriculum, launched in Autumn 2019, will result in less than 12 months of full-time CPT.
An international student who receives an offer of employment as a pharmacist intern (or any other employment) must apply for CPT. This CPT will be added to the total CPT time associated with the required experiential courses in the PharmD curriculum.
Prior to making decisions related to employment, international students are encouraged to contact their advisor regarding how optional CPT for intern pharmacist positions, in combination with curriculum-related CPT, may potentially affect their OPT eligibility.
Graduates of a School of Pharmacy Outside of the U.S.
(Foreign Graduate Students)

International students who hold a five-year undergraduate pharmacy degree conferred by a recognized school of pharmacy outside the United States, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico may consider the option of taking the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination (FPGEE) in lieu of pursuing the PharmD degree program.

The Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee (FPGEC) operates under the auspices of the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP). NABP provides the FPGEC Certification Program as a means of documenting the educational equivalency of a candidate’s foreign pharmacy education, as well as the license and/or registration. Candidates are also required to pass the FPGEE, the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), and the Test of Spoken English (TSE). The FPGEC Certificate allows foreign graduates to partially fulfill eligibility requirements for licensure in the states that consider the certification.

Individuals who wish to obtain more information about this option are advised to visit the NABP website at: www.nabp.net or contact the Washington Board of Pharmacy at 360-236-4825

International students who hold a four-year undergraduate pharmacy degree from a School of Pharmacy outside the United States, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico are not eligible to complete the FPGEE option and will have to complete a PharmD Degree Program in the US in order to become licensed to practice pharmacy in the US. Such a degree holder who is interested in the UW PharmD Program will have to complete all prerequisites at a college, university or community college in the US as well as meet all other application requirements and standards.

https://sop.washington.edu/pharmd/admissions/international-applicants/
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by Jhayflamez: 9:25pm On Jun 02, 2022
Obinoscopy:

Can I have ur contact pls
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by Obinoscopy(m): 6:02pm On Jun 14, 2022
Ebubu3:

Hi Obinoscopy,

First of all I'm sorry to post this here, but I wouldn't know where else to post this. You can delete this post after you may have replied me.
Yeah, you posted it in the wrong section. But I'm replying you in the right section.

I was once in a conversation with you around 2020 concerning the possibilities of a Nigerian trained BPharm holder to practise in USA. You stated the terms, which was quite rigorous, lengthened in time, yet without complete assurance of success. Suffice to say Americans just love their own certificates over overseas own.

On USA Rx twitter on Twitter platform. I've come to realize thousands of American trained Pharmacists are resigning in droves for what they call soul-draining job. I've inquired and been answered that the job is stressful like you would never imagine, the chain employers disrespect you for a living, customers speak rudely to you and everyday you go back home to your wife to pour out the anger and frustration on her.

The sector was painted with a very frustrating tone; retail Pharmacy in USA, now it seems one with Bpharm from here can work PharmTech there with a little training, but pay is considerably lower than full fledged PharmD trained there and also working with the PharmTech in the same drug chain store.

I have also come in direct messaging with about 12 of them from different USA states and they have also resigned/considering to resign and switching to ambulatory pharmacy which has less frustration, or clinical pharmacy at best. It is just so scary because I resigned at a LOCUM job here in a Nigeria pharmacy because of enormous abuses from employers and stress, i wouldn't want to go to the USA after so much time delays and effort to suffer same fate. I'm not young anylonger and can't afford to live my mid-life like that. I am in communication with an American pharmacist who wants to connect me with a retail Pharmacist who could possibly bring me over for a pharmtech role, he keeps telling me it's not that bad as people say but a bit of me tells me he's just whitewashing me because there are tons of vacancies for pharmtechs and he doesn't want to lose out on me; therefore he is covering up.

Now here i am considering two things, I reckon you practise Pharmacy in Canada ? How is the experience like ? is it retail or clinical ? what do you have to say about the work environment ? which region of canada do you practise in ? is it non-frustrating and non-demeaning, non-condescending ? both from employers and customers ? how do they treat pharmacists and more especially you who are trained in Nigeria ? is it pharmtech role as well ? i just don't want to make a switch at soo much cost only to regret it. Is canada better to work in, and satisfying ?

if i'll have to take the pharmtech role in USA, i may consider switching to computer Tech career if I arrive there and the sad news I hear on their twitter becomes my reality ?
True, it's very stressful working as a retail pharmacist in the USA, especially with the big chain pharmacies. Hospital Pharmacies on the other hand are not that stressful however its much more difficult getting into hospitals. And you might need to do the rigorous residency program if you want to get paid well in the hospital.

I never went to Canada so I can't speak to the work conditions there. But I would guess it's less stressful.
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by Ebubu3: 6:17pm On Jun 14, 2022
Obinoscopy:
Yeah, you posted it in the wrong section. But I'm replying you in the right section.

True, it's very stressful working as a retail pharmacist in the USA, especially with the big chain pharmacies. Hospital Pharmacies on the other hand are not that stressful however its much more difficult getting into hospitals. And you might need to do the rigorous residency program if you want to get paid well in the hospital.

I never went to Canada so I can't speak to the work conditions there. But I would guess it's less stressful.
thank you very much, Obinoscopy. God bless you
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by Sunaket: 3:03am On Jun 28, 2022
Please I need the contact of any Aphantee Pharmaceuticals Nigeria Ltd representative or ex representative. Please it's urgent. Thanks
Re: Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants by Humanistme: 8:32pm On Aug 18, 2022
Hello everyone and good evening. I forgot my password for the online registration of my annual pharmacist's license on the pcn core app. I have tried resetting my password to no avail, any suggestions on how I can solve this problem would be appreciated. Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Konga Sacks Over 70% Of Staff / How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? / My Banker Friend Quit His Job To Work In A Car Wash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.