Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? (1921 Views)

Joshua Iginla Visits Manger Where Jesus Was Wrapped & Kept After Delivery (Photo / Joshua Iginla Baptises His Mother At River Jordan Where Jesus Was Baptised(p / Joshua Iginla Visits Holy Sepulchre Where Jesus Was Crucified & Buried (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:28pm On Feb 13, 2016
If Jesus was a Jew, why aren't Christians Jewish? If Jesus was a Jew, shouldn't Christians be Jews and follow Judaism?
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by MrImole: 1:32pm On Feb 13, 2016
Because he came to save everyone and not only the jews.
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:35pm On Feb 13, 2016
Colossians 3:11

11 Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

And we are Christians - adherents of the teachings of Christ

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by tpiah2: 4:39pm On Feb 13, 2016
because following Judaism is not what makes you Jewish.

read your bible with understanding.
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:15pm On Feb 13, 2016
MrImole:

Because he came to save everyone and not only the jews.

Jesus came to save the Jews first and then the Gentiles. Didn't Jesus follow Judaism while He was here on earth?
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:16pm On Feb 13, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Colossians 3:11

And we are Christians - adherents of the teachings of Christ

What religion did Jesus follow when He was physically on earth? undecided
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:17pm On Feb 13, 2016
tpiah2:

because following Judaism is not what makes you Jewish.

read your bible with understanding.

Can you please enlighten us on what you think makes a person Jewish? undecided
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by Jesuismoi: 11:22pm On Feb 13, 2016
Jesus didnt practice Judaism. That was why he was accused severally by the Pharisees of breaking the law.

He came to explain what no other prophet had been able to explain to those stubborn jewish people.
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:56am On Feb 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

I dont think He had any . But he observed the religious traditions of His people - the Jews - the passover feast etc . Was he trying to preach religious tolerance ?
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by promise10: 9:10am On Feb 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Jesus came to save the Jews first and then the Gentiles. Didn't Jesus follow Judaism while He was here on earth?
That's why we keep on saying that Jesus is not a religious man
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by promise10: 9:28am On Feb 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

He is God made flesh, God in disguise, he didn't follow any religion, even he was against the then religion. Because religion deals on laws which condemns people because no one can keep laws to the satisfaction of God.

He knew that his mission was to benefit the whole of mankind, no matter your religion.
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by Nobody: 9:51am On Feb 14, 2016
because you xtians are pagans

1 Like

Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by reallest(f): 10:33am On Feb 14, 2016
promise10:

He is God made flesh, God in disguise, he didn't follow any religion, even he was against the then religion. Because religion deals on laws which condemns people because no one can keep laws to the satisfaction of God.

He knew that his mission was to benefit the whole of mankind, no matter your religion.

@underline,who set d law in d first place?
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by promisechuks: 6:21am On Feb 15, 2016
reallest:

@underline,who set d law in d first place?
God gave man law through moses to the people of isreal. Initially, during their exodus from egypt, God did want to give man laws and terms because he knew that man doesn't have what it takes to keep laws with him because of our imperfection.

But due to the stubbornness of the people of Israel, they insisted, through moses, God to give them, so that God go can bless them according to their works which they never know that they were imperfect .

Now they have not heard God's laws, they have already ended up saying "All you say is what we will SURELY do". And when moses reported to God about what they said, God was not happy, because they ignored his grace on them, so far from their exodus from egypt.
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by tpiah2: 6:42am On Feb 15, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Can you please enlighten us on what makes a person Jewish? :-

your covert hostility is very obvious.

you'd do better to ignore my posts if you must insist on opening threads here.
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by reallest(f): 7:15am On Feb 15, 2016
promisechuks:

God gave man law through moses to the people of isreal. Initially, during their exodus from egypt, God did want to give man laws and terms because he knew that man doesn't have what it takes to keep laws with him because of our imperfection.

But due to the stubbornness of the people of Israel, they insisted, through moses, God to give them, so that God go can bless them according to their works which they never know that they were imperfect .

Now they have not heard God's laws, they have already ended up saying "All you say is what we will SURELY do". And when moses reported to God about what they said, God was not happy, because they ignored his grace on them, so far from their exodus from egypt.

OK I now understand . oooh dats reminds me is jesus different from God?is he not part of trinity anymore?if yes I will bookmark this for future reference,if no, it means he is among those who gave d law in d first place . it's now left to u to choose between devil and deep sea
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by promisechuks: 8:27am On Feb 15, 2016
reallest:

OK I now understand . oooh dats reminds me is jesus different from God?is he not part of trinity anymore?if yes I will bookmark this for future reference,if no, it means he is among those who gave d law in d first place . it's now left to u to choose between devil and deep sea
What again do you mean by devil and dead sea?

I have explained before that Jesus is God(yaweeh) in the likeness of man(flesh) who came to give us what the law, he gave to the people of Israel(out of their request), could not give us.

Which is eternal life, because man is powerless to keep Gods laws. Can you keep 10 commandments and 500+ laws? Whereas the law tells us that if you fail one, then you have equally failed all the law. So sincerely looking at it, it was very tough for a man to be righteous with it, because man is full of imperfection.

The God that gave the isreal the law, not because he wanted, but because isreal wanted to work based on laws with God.
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by reallest(f): 10:03am On Feb 15, 2016
promisechuks:

What again do you mean by devil and dead sea?

Evil & lesser evil as dem dey talk am

promisechuks:
I have explained before that Jesus is God(yaweeh) in the likeness of man(flesh) who came to give us what the law, he gave to the people of Israel(out of their request), could not give us.

Dis is nothing but a lie,can you show me in ur Bible where Israelite require to be given law,

promisechuks:
which is eternal life, because man is powerless to keep Gods laws. Can you keep 10 commandments and 500+ laws? Whereas the law tells us that if you fail one, then you have equally failed all the law. So sincerely looking at it, it was very tough for a man to be righteous with it, because man is full of imperfection.

It seems u re more wise Dan ur God if u think man can not fulfil all those law,what came to mind is what happen to d Israelite dat d law was given to?how do they fare with d law?were they be able to cope or not?what happen to all d prophet dat came in between moses and Jesus?

promisechuks:
The God that gave the isreal the law, not because he wanted, but because isreal wanted to work based on laws with God.

Without any proofs,will u give ur children something dat will hurt dem simply because they ask for it out of ignorance?let's agreed dat Israelite asked for d law(even though it's not true) as omnipotent u claimed ur God is,he shouldn't have give dem those barbaric law in d first place since he knew what d outcome would be

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:44pm On Feb 25, 2016
Jesuismoi:

Jesus didnt practice Judaism. That was why he was accused severally by the Pharisees of breaking the law.

He came to explain what no other prophet had been able to explain to those stubborn jewish people.

If Jesus didn't practise Judaism, what made Him a Jew?
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:21pm On Mar 01, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I dont think He had any . But he observed the religious traditions of His people - the Jews - the passover feast etc . Was he trying to preach religious tolerance ?

Does that not make Him a Jew?
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:03pm On Mar 01, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Does that not make Him a Jew?

Yup
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by Amberon: 9:07am On Mar 02, 2016
OP, Jesus followed no religion. He did things differently. What Jesus followed was a relationship with God the father. And we a Christians because we are "christ-like" that means we are supposed to have a relationship with God the father just like Jesus did.
OLAADEGBU:

Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:31pm On Mar 03, 2016
Amberon:

OP, Jesus followed no religion. He did things differently. What Jesus followed was a relationship with God the father. And we a Christians because we are "christ-like" that means we are supposed to have a relationship with God the father just like Jesus did.

What then made Him a Jew?
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by Raphael81(m): 11:11pm On Mar 03, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

What then made Him a Jew?
you expose ur hiddeb stupidity anyhow
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:28pm On Mar 05, 2016
tpiah2:

your covert hostility is very obvious.

you'd do better to ignore my posts if you must insist on opening threads here.

Covert hostility ke? undecided
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:15pm On Mar 13, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Yup

Great.! cheesy
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:35pm On Mar 14, 2016
Raphael81:

you expose ur hiddeb stupidity anyhow

Must you insult people before you make a point? If you haven't got anything positive to contribute why don't you just move on? undecided
Re: If Jesus Was A Jew, Why Aren't Christians Jewish? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:08pm On Mar 24, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

If Jesus was a Jew, why aren't Christians Jewish? If Jesus was a Jew, shouldn't Christians be Jews and follow Judaism?

Suggested answer:

If Jesus was a Jew, why is it that Christians don't follow Judaism? The Laws of Judaism were given to Moses for the children of Israel in a very sacred and special covenant at Mount Sinai and recorded for us in the book of Exodus. In this covenant, God wrote His laws on tablets of stone, and Israel was commanded to be obedient to all that was revealed to them. But this wonderful covenant was only a picture of a New and better covenant that God would one day give to His people, both Jew and Gentile.

This new covenant is recorded for us in Jeremiah 31:31-34, "‘The time is coming,' declares the LORD, 'when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant I made with their forefathers when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they broke my covenant, though I was a husband to them,' declares the LORD. 'This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time,' declares the LORD. 'I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will a man teach his neighbour, or a man his brother, saying, "Know the LORD," because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest,' declares the LORD. 'For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.'"

Christians don't follow Judaism today because the Mosaic covenant has been fulfilled in Jesus Christ. Jesus said, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfil them" (Matthew 5:17). And the writer to the Hebrews wrote, "By calling this covenant 'new,' he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and ageing will soon disappear" (Hebrews 8:13).

As Christians we don't need to follow the old covenant any longer because that old covenant has been replaced. We now have a better covenant, with a better sacrifice, administered by a better High Priest! "Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful" (Hebrews 10:19-23).

http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-Jew-Christians-Jewish.html

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Counter Thread To "5 Clear Proofs That God Exists: To The Atheists" / Where Is Evangelist Shola Rotimi??? / Should Christians Eat Sallah Ram???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.