Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,599 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box (15133 Views)

My 2003 Camry Automatic Gear Problem / I Need To Fix My Gear Box. / How Much Is Camry Engine And Gear Box 1999 Or 2000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by ladel(m): 7:10pm On Feb 21, 2016
Gracia! Santa Sana!!
Can you pls give a rough estimate for duration for gear oil change for most tokunbo cars? Someone once told me thrice a year
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by stevecantrell: 7:57pm On Feb 21, 2016
MrChilaka:
Acknowledge the following
1. that you are now in possession of a USED VEHICLE which probably may have passed the dealers warranty.
2. Previous owner (in this case Onyibo)may or may not have done all that is needed to keep the vehicle in top shape
3. The Chairman who drove the car via the bush to beat customs or robbers may have driven the vehicle like it was stolen – HARD AND FAST
4. In most cases the Car may have been parked for a long time since it was last used by the Onyibo owner and as its typical with mechanical parts long period of idleness is bad for mechanical systems.

OP, I like to drive around town in D3 rather than D. I use D only on the expressway. Is this safe for my AT ?
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by siaco(m): 8:00pm On Feb 21, 2016
Thanks @op good info
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by Misterpaul(m): 8:09pm On Feb 21, 2016
Good information. But please, concerning draining of oil using the 20-80 rule, how do i know what quantity constitutes 20% or 80% of the total oil?

And kindly tell us how we can get this App that can be used to monitor the oil.
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by tivta(m): 8:17pm On Feb 21, 2016
Never tow with an automatic transmission? Where did you here that from? Tundra, sequoia, even range rover has towing capacity...

1 Like

Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by san316(m): 8:25pm On Feb 21, 2016
Op is not serious. Why keep us hanging. What is the app for mornitoring oil change? Answer ort i report u to the mods
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by ukata16(m): 11:06pm On Feb 21, 2016
Obviously this is a copy an paste routine.... app we no see, reply we no hear
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by professore(m): 8:08am On Feb 22, 2016
It is okay
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by MhizEndy(f): 8:23am On Feb 22, 2016
Nicepoker:
for dream
For real.. Chelsea is back
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by Nicepoker(m): 8:24am On Feb 22, 2016
MhizEndy:
For real.. Chelsea is back
from where.
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by MrChilaka(m): 11:10am On Feb 22, 2016
bitingcool:
Thank you for the tips. Can you please drop a link to an app for oil change alerts?

[size=13pt]You welcome...what mobile os do you use android or apple cause the app is on google play store[/size]
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by MrChilaka(m): 11:15am On Feb 22, 2016
ndcide:
all this one na wahala. that's why i love manual transmission. i don't have Auto. So why cant we tow the car, when it develops issues on the high way.

[size=13pt]I am also a lover of manual transmission...yet still you need to check your manual transmission oil level and stick to the manufacturers recommended manual transmission oil. [/size]
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by MrChilaka(m): 11:41am On Feb 22, 2016
Kashif:
A lot of misinformation.

[size=13pt]Oh really...kindly point out the culprits
[/size]

ladel:
Gracia! Santa Sana!!
Can you pls give a rough estimate for duration for gear oil change for most tokunbo cars? Someone once told me thrice a year

[size=13pt]You welcome...Bearing in mind these are used vehicles Nigerian or Foreign used

1. The safe range is 10,000miles or 12months which ever comes first.
2. find out manufacturer recommend oil rating be it Dextron, Macron or CVT transmission oil

[/size]

[size=13pt]App link coming up soon do stay tuned [/size]
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by MrChilaka(m): 11:59am On Feb 22, 2016
san316:
Op is not serious. Why keep us hanging. What is the app for mornitoring oil change? Answer ort i report u to the mods

[size=13pt]Are you are aware that not all automatic transmissions are adapted for towing, because of the gear box design.

Thanks all the same for pointing that out. I would update that line to include, 'check vehicle manufacturers manual to know if your vehicle's transmission is adapted for towing'.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by MrChilaka(m): 12:34pm On Feb 22, 2016
vani86:
OP, please give me an example of an app to use in monitoring d ATF change.

princefaculty:
Nice one there.
What apps can one use to detect when oil change is due?
Thanks

bandol:
How do we know when its time to change the gear oil

Smarte724:
This ur write up is inconclusive until u give us a a link to d app

san316:

ukata16:
Obviously this is a copy an paste routine.... app we no see, reply we no hear

[size=13pt]You are right, I copied it from my ms word and pasted it here[/size]

[size=13pt]For android users below is the link to the app mentioned earlier [/size]

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zonewalker.acar

[size=13pt]Above is the android link to the app and below are screen shots of app showing other things can remind you about[/size]

Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by Kashif(m): 1:15pm On Feb 22, 2016
[quote author=MrChilaka post=43147379]

[size=13pt]Oh really...kindly point out the culprits
[/size]

3. 20 -80 Rule - Drain and refill actually gets out less than 50% of atf in the transmission

4. Clunks do not always come from wrong atf. As a matter of fact, this happens with 5% of clunks.

5. This could mean - 'do not tow any vehicle fitted with auto transmission' or 'do not tow any load with an auto transmission-fitted vehicle'. Either way, it is wrong. Auto tranny vehicles have tow load specifications. On the other hand, you can tow an auto tranny vehicle, but avoid riding the wheels connected to the tranny. (There are more details to this).

7. Use of plain water alone as coolant is a bad idea, but it will not kill your transmission.

8. Not sure of where to start on this one. The auto transmission takes care of all overtaking needs well in D.

9. "Bottom plates" (sumps) deform; they dont crack, but like you have pointed out, can cripple transmissions when they do.

Good post all the same.
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by MrChilaka(m): 3:13pm On Feb 22, 2016
stevecantrell:

OP, I like to drive around town in D3 rather than D. I use D only on the expressway. Is this safe for my AT ?

[size=13pt]It would not affect your AT, yet still on D3 it means your gear range is 1 - 3 and that means you would use more fuel compared to someone whose gear range is 1 - 4 with D4 plying same distance as you and driving under same conditions as you.
Newer transmission have higher gear range. [/size]
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by stevecantrell: 3:15pm On Feb 22, 2016
MrChilaka:

[size=13pt]It would not affect your AT, yet still on D3 it means your gear range is 1 - 3 and that means you would use more fuel compared to someone whose gear range is 1 - 4 with D4 plying same distance as you and driving under same conditions as you.
Newer transmission have higher gear range. [/size]

Ok, thanks !
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by MrChilaka(m): 3:34pm On Feb 22, 2016
Misterpaul:
Good information. But please, concerning draining of oil using the 20-80 rule, how do i know what quantity constitutes 20% or 80% of the total oil?

And kindly tell us how we can get this App that can be used to monitor the oil.

App link has already been posted

Park the vehicle on a flat ground and allow transmission oil to cool, the mechanic should then drain the oil from the gear box. Once all the oil has been collected, what you see collected in the pan is but 80% of the whole oil that was in your automatic transmission.
If you have been using the manufacturers recommended transmission oil, then you will not need to follow the procedure for oil change stated on the previous page. All you need do is pour in the recommended amount of liters specified by vehicle manufacturers.

NOTE: Always use manufacturer recommended oil grade for your vehicles oil change

Dottore:
@OP you did an appreciable job but you forgot to mention anything about axle oil. Some actually think that it's only cars with rear wheel drives that have axle oil compartment. The truth is that front wheel drive cars also have compartments for Axle oil aside the normal ATF. most times the oil that goes into the axle oil is SAE 90 it's thicker than ATF. Some mechanics are ignorant of this but believe me a constant check and regular change of this oil helps the life of your auto transmission.
We have a Camry that arrived with 116,000km in it's odometer now it's running into 258,000km yet the gearbox and engine are still very healthy because of regular checks and maintenance.

Well Said... the axle design is what makes the difference between a transmission that is modified to tow and that which is not modified to tow.
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by cardoctor(m): 11:05am On Feb 23, 2016
You can read more on automatic gearbox problems on my post. Please click on the link below.

https://www.nairaland.com/1364064/automatic-gearbox-problems#

Car-doctor.
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by MrChilaka(m): 12:44pm On Feb 23, 2016
cardoctor:
You can read more on automatic gearbox problems on my post. Please click on the link below.

https://www.nairaland.com/1364064/automatic-gearbox-problems#

Car-doctor.

[size=13pt]Nice Try[/size]
Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by MrChilaka(m): 12:21pm On Feb 24, 2016
[size=13pt]Based on vehicles used by Nigerians subsequent posts would show manufacturer recommended ATFs Honda, Toyota, Ford, Benz. See below ATF test slip. You can let a drop of your vehicle ATF drop on a white sheet of paper and compare with the below image. [/size]

Re: Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box by HundeyinTosin: 10:38am On Mar 29, 2016
MrChilaka:
[size=13pt]Based on vehicles used by Nigerians subsequent posts would show manufacturer recommended ATFs Honda, Toyota, Ford, Benz. See below ATF test slip. You can let a drop of your vehicle ATF drop on a white sheet of paper and compare with the below image. [/size]

I need to change my ford explorer 2005 ATF.
how much can i get
Dextron VI or Mercon VI?

Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toyota Camry V6 And V4 Differences. / The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. / 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Overload Your Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.