Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,273 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:14 AM

8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name (6753 Views)

Debited For Purchasing A Domain From Namecheap Without Getting The Domain. / The Top 3 Main Google Ranking Factors To Focus On In 2016. / 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name - NCT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by Mediapace: 9:02pm On Feb 15, 2016
A domain name is an identification string that defines a realm of administrative autonomy, authority or control within the Internet.

These are the things to consider before buying a domain name:

1.Go for a Top level domain name :
Make sure the domain name you are buying is a top level one e.g. .com,.ng,.org e.t.c.
It is very easy for your users to remember

2.Avoid buying a contradicting domain name :
For example,you website niche is on sports,you are now in need of a domain name and you buy .edu.ng extension,always know that your guests and members will be the one looking for admission or other sort of education aspirants and they will bounce back when they see your Posts mainly on sports.

3.Check if the domain is not existing:
The perfect way to do this is to go to any domain registrar website and type the domain name if choosen or not,don't rely on that,type the url on search engines too and see if it already existed before to be totally relieved.
Some webmasters are scammers,they will close their website for a while and when it had been sold to you,they retrieve it back again when you gain much traffic.

4.Make sure the domain name you want to buy is short and memorizable :
FOr example,you want to buy a domain name for a website with music niche and you name it :
naijamusicplentyhere.com

that is wrong,it suppose to be naijamusic.com,it is easy for everyone to remember.

5.Don't advertise your unpurchased domain name :
Don't go to forums and ask for opinions on the new domain you want to purchase,before you wake up the next day,it would have been purchased by a hungry scammer,you will have to pay them before they sell it to you and the money will be doubled for you

6.Avoid replacing words with letter :

If you buy a domain name and make it 9jamusic.com instead of naijamusic.com,if the second person with that naijamusic.com your competitor,he can wipe you away within days,your visitor may just mistype that 9ja to naija and fall for naijamusic.com immediately

7.Avoid going for a plural domain because the singular had been taken :
Adding s to the back of your domain name is very risky.
For Example,if Nairaland.com forum was used as Nairalands.com ,Nairaland would have been wiped off by the owner of Nairaland.com,people will always remember Nairaland and forget Nairalands except devoted visitors and they are scarce.

8.Make Sure the domain registrar you want to use are reputable and reliable :
There are some hungry registrars,hunger lead them to domain business,if you fall for such registrar,your money is waisted,search thoroughly about the hoster you wish to use and their years of service
Source : http://mediapace.wapka.mobi/forum2_theme_112572675.xhtml?tema=11

cc lalasticlala Seun

webmasters,make the list complete,add the last two!
writer : Mediapace

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by ikenwa4lyf: 3:41am On Feb 16, 2016
In addition to the above, here is what hosting a website in Nigeria entails
http://www.nigerianinfopedia.com/hosting-in-nigeria-how-to-host-a-website-in-nigeria/
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by seoconsultant(m): 9:16am On Feb 18, 2016
Has a domain buyer myself I will recommend this advice for domain buyers (for business or for domain parker) to consider reading more on How To Choose A Good Domain Name
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by Artless360(m): 3:10pm On Feb 19, 2016
At op sowie I knw dz ur Domain... But please m sorry permit to.... Say..
Juma'at kareem to ol my Muslim brodaz nd sistaz...

1 Like

Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by Nobody: 3:12pm On Feb 19, 2016
thanks
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by dan55: 3:20pm On Feb 19, 2016
ok
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by wharley01(m): 3:21pm On Feb 19, 2016
Which domain register is reliable an cheap?
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by chykmoni(m): 3:24pm On Feb 19, 2016
Nice one. Am still building my website though.
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by ohans4u(m): 3:28pm On Feb 19, 2016
wharley01:
Which domain register is reliable an cheap?
godaddy.com is reliable and cheap if you have their coupon code
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by Nobody: 3:34pm On Feb 19, 2016
Ok
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by MisterGrace: 3:35pm On Feb 19, 2016
This is cool... Anybody with an idea where can one get cheap and affordable domain name?
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by abbey621(m): 3:36pm On Feb 19, 2016
Before you buy a domain, hosting or any marketing tool, make sure you have a business plan in place. Every entrepreneur, small, medium and large business owner started with an idea, they wrote the idea down and started strategizing on how to get the idea to consumers. A domain name, hosting and website building should come secondary. I recommend entrepreneurs to start with tools they already have such as a Facebook page, a blog such as Blogger or Wordpress in order to minimize costs.
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by mrpackager(m): 3:36pm On Feb 19, 2016
still building my forum .....
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by wharley01(m): 3:43pm On Feb 19, 2016
ohans4u:
godaddy.com is reliable and cheap if you have their coupon code
where can i get the coupon code?
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by donwise1(m): 3:55pm On Feb 19, 2016
Nice one.

A very good post worthy of fp
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by fikolo: 3:58pm On Feb 19, 2016
Anyone with experience regarding, "www.hostgator.com"?
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by laundryking: 4:33pm On Feb 19, 2016
Your clothes need your attention too take advantage of our 20% discount this february,to start your new year feeling fresh and looking smart all year round.
#LAUNDRYKING Not just a laundry outfit,we are your fabric care professionals.
For enquiries,free pickup & delivery pls call:08162259669,07011162336,08162814732,08131380848
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by yomalex(m): 4:41pm On Feb 19, 2016
Good
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by professore(m): 5:04pm On Feb 19, 2016
You try
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by mrhansome12(m): 5:32pm On Feb 19, 2016
wharley01:
where can i get the coupon code?
sign up on the site the guy you quoted mentioned they will be sending you coupon codes
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by Revolva(m): 6:22pm On Feb 19, 2016
Ok wat about my domin
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by fineyemi(m): 7:02pm On Feb 19, 2016
Just Like www.Guru9ja.com
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by fineyemi(m): 7:18pm On Feb 19, 2016
Just like www.Guru9ja.com
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by nairapolice: 7:29pm On Feb 19, 2016
I build modern, responsive websites. Give me a call 09093839999
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by Olubendeji: 7:35pm On Feb 19, 2016
Please, how can I register a domain name for free?
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by MOORCHMOORE(m): 7:39pm On Feb 19, 2016
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by lordkit3(m): 7:43pm On Feb 19, 2016
Check below sign
Re: 8 Major Factors To Consider When Purchasing A Domain Name by JohnNgene: 8:30pm On Feb 19, 2016
Another thing you must remember is always go with ''.com''. Forget about all these .ng, .com.ng, .org etc. Nigeria is not yet ripe for them. An average Nigerian types .com once you tell him you have a website.

If you want simple memorable domain names, contact me on +234 909 5000 603

(1) (2) (Reply)

Punchng. Com Hacked Again. / Big Secret About Torrents (how To Download Torrent Files With IDM) / SEO 101: Definitive SEO Guide For Start-ups

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.