Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,408 members, 7,822,885 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! (42169 Views)

Paid Internship For Young Programmers And Developers - Wordpress, PHP Etc / Nigeria’s Top Programmers And Developers As Ranked By Github 2016 / 19 Pictures Programmers And IT Oriented People Can Relate To. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by asalimpo(m): 4:53am On Mar 07, 2016
webdevgod:

It will but windows is very slow, and not efficient enough.

You're better off using a Mac or Linux for better performance and efficiency
how can windows be slow ? C'mon.
Processors are fast enough.
Linux is actually, very programmer centric. But apart from that, you can live and die as a programmer in window land.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by webdevgod: 2:33pm On Mar 22, 2016
asalimpo:

how can windows be slow ? C'mon.
Processors are fast enough.
Linux is actually, very programmer centric. But apart from that, you can live and die as a programmer in window land.

I have used both Windows and Mac, and I prefer Mac because of its efficiently and performance. But ideally in a professional environment, Macs & linux are the main ones used.
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by ochukoccna: 9:23pm On Mar 24, 2016
ovoSoftware:

Oh, thank you for your valuable insight without any proof. You have just wasted 6mins of my time watching a video from confused set of people (TechSource).
Here is what TechSource said about the video:
"Wow, people still complaining about this video? You guys do realize it was made in 1/2014...Lots of noobness existed back then. From then I have learned a lot, check out my recent Gaming PC Builds smiley"

Pls check out the part two of that video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZVJnWcRHB8

Gosh!
Even the TechSource dudes acknowledged been a noob undecided undecided
Looking at the hardware specs, one can see its a apples vs pears comparison cool cool
One is a workstation, the other a gaming pc
PCiE Flash vs SSD is a no brainer nor is video editing graphics vs video gaming grahics or Intel Xeon E5 1620 v2 vs Core i7 4930K embarassed
Different tasks, different tools cool
If PC floats your boat, sail in it
If the fruit rocks your world, dance to its tune
Enough of this who has the biggest sax debates grin
What matters is getting the job done cool

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by peterbello(m): 12:07am On Jun 09, 2016
But the truth still remains that:

All of you af ya werey, asweh! Are you guys still human at all? Jesus!!
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by romme2u: 1:39am On Jun 09, 2016
peterbello:
But the truth still remains that:

All of you af ya werey, asweh! Are you guys still human at all? Jesus!!

i just keep wondering grin grin grin
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Fulaman198(m): 8:10am On Jun 09, 2016
webdevgod:

Windows is anything but slow. These days I would say it's faster than Mac and Linux. My Windows computer has quicker boot up times than my Mac and Linux machines on similar hardware.
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by mexzony: 11:07am On Jun 09, 2016
webdevgod:

windows very slow in this age of faster processors.hmmm
all these sentiments about technologies.
cheers.
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by mexzony: 11:13am On Jun 09, 2016
Fulaman198:

Windows is anything but slow. These days I would say it's faster than Mac and Linux. My Windows computer has quicker boot up times than my Mac and Linux machines on similar hardware.
hello, anyway guys i am in a limbo here.
i want to get another laptop and my favorite screen size is 14 inches,anything above that is stressful for me as i love portability.
i currently use hp pav dm4.
anyway i want a laptop with dedicated graphics with core i7 4th gen upwards.
anyway anyone know laptop brands with 14 inch and loaded?
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Fulaman198(m): 12:54pm On Jun 09, 2016
mexzony:

i want to get another laptop and my favorite screen size is 14 inches,anything above that is stressful for me as i love portability.

MSi has a 14" gaming laptop, but you will be hard pressed to find that here in Nigeria
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Redaguy(m): 5:25am On Jul 08, 2016
Fulaman198:

Because it hibernates not full shutdown!

Try doing a restart then take a stroll to your friend's house then back.
Anyway not to be bias I've never owned a MacBook (and personally dislike them). But I must say I've used some and Mac is well optimized. Windows is robust and user friendly, and oriented.
Linux is for tech savvy peeps, with power to control your hardware. Mac is somewhere between Linux and Windows (part of both worlds)

(Let me reiterate this)Now what matters most isn't the machine or OS but the programmer's ability to think and solve problems.

So first determine your problem domain then think! Before heading out to buy the right tool for the job.

You can run hackintosh on PC, or virtualize Mac if you want to.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by KazukiIto(m): 6:48am On Jul 08, 2016
Fulaman198:

Exactly, and fellow Nigerians you should really be thinking of building productive applications rather than thinking about hacking. I mean come on now.

C'mon man! You are also sounding like those hollywood iliterates?! The hacker culture is a subculture of individuals who enjoy the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming limitations of software systems to achieve novel and clever outcomes
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Fulaman198(m): 10:28am On Jul 08, 2016
[/quote][quote author=KazukiIto post=47318299]

C'mon man! You are also sounding like those hollywood iliterates?! The hacker culture is a subculture of individuals who enjoy the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming limitations of software systems to achieve novel and clever outcomes

This is not the context of hacking they are discussing, reread it again
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Fulaman198(m): 10:31am On Jul 08, 2016
Redaguy:

Because it hibernates not full shutdown!

Try doing a restart then take a stroll to your friend's house then back.
Anyway not to be bias I've never owned a MacBook (and personally dislike them). But I must say I've used some and Mac is well optimized. Windows is robust and user friendly, and oriented.
Linux is for tech savvy peeps, with power to control your hardware. Mac is somewhere between Linux and Windows (part of both worlds)

(Let me reiterate this)Now what matters most isn't the machine or OS but the programmer's ability to think and solve problems.

So first determine your problem domain then think! Before heading out to buy the right tool for the job.

You can run hackintosh on PC, or virtualize Mac if you want to.

What are you talking about man, Windows fully shuts down. Since Windows 8.x, boot up times have been quite rapid meaning that there must have been some redesign at the kernel level.

In regards to why Mac which is UNIX and GNU/Linux are better for programming you have access to bash. Can't personally do without grep, awk and sed
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 08, 2016
grin.......... I am laughing so hard at those dudes above me that insists that ANY machine is ok for programming, that it all depends on the programmer, and that ur machine doesn't write code 4 u blah blah blah (this just shows ur level of understanding of the basics of programming is quite low)........well if u were a programmer you would know that u use programming tools 2 create programs (except u r one of the very few that still write machine codes) and these programming tools have what is called minimum hardware requirements eg android studio requires at least 2gb of ram(4gb for latest version)

Thus indirectly ur machine (ie OS, system software, programming tools ) actually writes code 4 u.
As for those who r talking about using hackintouch .....well that shitt has a lot of limitations and getting around those limitations reduces productivity and increases angry customers

1 Like

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Fulaman198(m): 6:21pm On Jul 08, 2016
ovoSoftware:
grin.......... I am laughing so hard at those dudes above me that insists that ANY machine is ok for programming, that it all depends on the programmer, and that ur machine doesn't write code 4 u blah blah blah (this just shows ur level of understanding of the basics of programming is quite low)........well if u were a programmer you would know that u use programming tools 2 create programs (except u r one of the very few that still write machine codes) and these programming tools have what is called minimum hardware requirements eg android studio requires at least 2gb of ram(4gb for latest version)

Thus indirectly ur machine (ie OS, system software, programming tools ) actually writes code 4 u.
As for those who r talking about using hackintouch .....well that shitt has a lot of limitations and getting around those limitations reduces productivity and increases angry customers

So true
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by jidez007: 7:28pm On Jul 08, 2016
ovoSoftware:

What are you saying now?
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by jidez007: 7:35pm On Jul 08, 2016
As long as you are not developing for Mac or iPhone. What major software is available for Mac that isn't available on Windows?

Talking of computing power, Windows systems are far cheaper than Macbooks for the same spec.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jul 08, 2016
For one, Mac OS X comes with a Python version installed. It also comes with a whole toolbox of Unix utilities, including a number of text editors. (There are many other 3rd party text editors for the Mac, too.)

You can't understate the value of being able to pop down to the Unix layer when needed. There are lots of times where a simple "grep" or "cp" or "mv" is exactly what you need, and I love that this is just BUILT INTO the Mac.

The keyword here is productivity

While it is possible to work productively on Windows, I have found this is only true after a large setup cost. So if you don't mind downloading stuff for hours, you can eventually get the right tools. Still, I have never found Windows tools to be as "integrated" as Unix utilities are; every Windows program wants its own scripting language, its own hackish way of doing things. Microsoft's command prompt is also pretty lousy; it really doesn't compare to a Unix shell.

While u might start shouting "what of PC on Linux or Linux on PC ......anyone" you still can't compare the way apple marries software and hardware 2 give u that smoothness and speed when programming.

Also some designers and Ruby on rails programmers I know of say they prefer the programming tools on a Mac

1 Like

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by jidez007: 9:15pm On Jul 08, 2016
Well I have been using Windows along side Linux on my pc for a while. And I can tell you that 80% of the time I use Windows because it conserves more battery and I have the same workflow set up on both os.

With git bash on Windows I have all the basic Linux tools I need. If I need more there is mingw.

I have a separate ntfs partition where I put my codes, that way no matter the OS I boot on, I still continue where I left off.

Windows has also started experimenting with Ubuntu inside windows, you will be able to use bash on Windows and you can install any Linux software (it's nothing like a virtual box). It will be available on the next stable upgrade.
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by jidez007: 9:28pm On Jul 08, 2016
I'm not disputing that mac may be the better system for programmers, since I'm yet to use 1.

The least Mac I can use costs more than 600k, an equivalent windows pc will cost me less than 200k. I don’t have plans to develop for Mac anytime soon, me getting 1 now would only be because I want to show off with it.

We need to stop discouraging beginners that Mac is the best, there is no way an average student can afford that. Any decent pc is enough to start programming.

As for me, I would rather have a very strong asset like a land first before I will think of purchasing a Macbook.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by flexispy: 9:45pm On Jul 08, 2016
Any laptop will do preferably entry level laptop ( 4gb ram and so on). Except you will run a lot of programs that will require the power of a fast CPU n GPU then higher end laptops (alienware,MSI and co.). But never ever hack on windows except ethical hacking.
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by KazukiIto(m): 11:04pm On Jul 08, 2016
Install Cygwin on Window$ and you are good to go. I have bash, grep, gawk, and any other utility that will enable me achieve my task on my 4GB RAM machine...
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Fulaman198(m): 8:41am On Jul 09, 2016
ovoSoftware:
For one, Mac OS X comes with a Python version installed. It also comes with a whole toolbox of Unix utilities, including a number of text editors. (There are many other 3rd party text editors for the Mac, too.)

You can't understate the value of being able to pop down to the Unix layer when needed. There are lots of times where a simple "grep" or "cp" or "mv" is exactly what you need, and I love that this is just BUILT INTO the Mac.

The keyword here is productivity

While it is possible to work productively on Windows, I have found this is only true after a large setup cost. So if you don't mind downloading stuff for hours, you can eventually get the right tools. Still, I have never found Windows tools to be as "integrated" as Unix utilities are; every Windows program wants its own scripting language, its own hackish way of doing things. Microsoft's command prompt is also pretty lousy; it really doesn't compare to a Unix shell.

While u might start shouting "what of PC on Linux or Linux on PC ......anyone" you still can't compare the way apple marries software and hardware 2 give u that smoothness and speed when programming.

Also some designers and Ruby on rails programmers I know of say they prefer the programming tools on a Mac

Correct all these features though are also available on GNU Linux (Grep, cp, mv, etc) these are all Bash commands. I think anyone with a powerful Ubuntu Computer can have similar results to someone with a Mac. The two operating systems are quite similar but there are more software developed for OS X than there are for Linux (be it Debian, Red Hat or OpenSUSE Linux).

1 Like

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by havocypie: 7:43am On Jul 11, 2016
Good morning Friends, I want to have Online Web Requirement for online demand app or web development.
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by deedat205(m): 9:44pm On Jul 12, 2016
Hi, developers in the house. Is there a way I can extract my file Explorer from my phone to an external storage so that it can be copied to another mobile phone?
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by stack1(m): 3:04am On Jul 24, 2016
Sibrah:
My idea of the best Laptop for programming and hacking is a laptop with about 4gb RAM, average Core i5 or i3 processor, a terrific battery(double cell reinforcement battery to last at least 8hrs on full charge) and a good virtual Machine to help test programs on Low spec virtual machines. I recommended that amount of RAM/Processor power becos RAM and Processor consume more power as according to their size. The key thing is good battery life and good virtual environment to test programs on older and variety of OS.

Well said, though the Ram could be higher b'cuz IDE's of today and even browser's could eat up a lot of ram
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by tom(m): 11:26am On Aug 07, 2016
but Mac os x are not common and easy to buy
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Nmeri17: 2:06am On Aug 12, 2016
OP if you're looking for something that has been tested and trusted over the years by renowned hackers all over the world, I would strongly recommend you look for this piece of technology ====>
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by seunoni34(m): 1:14pm On Aug 13, 2016
Thirdwrist:

You are cracking my ribs brother, I don't think there is anything like a programming laptop, anyone you can get your hands on will do. And your myth of only Mac being able to program on all languages is so false, my best guess is that you are an apple fan boy.
Exactly! Most apple fanboys are ignorant about other OS. I use iMac in my office and with the core i5 and 8gb RAM it still can't compile localhost applications faster than my windows laptop.
And Osx graphics cards are just too bad and therefore makes apple laptops a no no for graphics development. I do both Web & a little graphics (for logos & icons). I will say overall it depends on the specs of the system you're using.
Any system with a core i7 processor, 8GB RAM MEMORY , 2GB+ Nvidia graphics dedicated RAM and 14' + screen is perfect for a start. Because a higher processor /RAM & graphics card means a higher performance and compilation speed. Either for programming, game editing, 3D simulation or graphics.
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by seunoni34(m): 1:17pm On Aug 13, 2016
deedat205:
Hi, developers in the house. Is there a way I can extract my
file Explorer from my phone to an external storage so that it
can be copied to another mobile phone?
Download airdroid application, and connect your phone to your computer through Hotspot. Open the app and copy the iP address on the app to your browser. You're good to go.
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by seunoni34(m): 1:25pm On Aug 13, 2016
mexzony:

Most acer laptops are 14inch
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by hexy40: 9:49am On Aug 14, 2016
charix:
The others are educated guesses but I'd recommend only from my experience. Had a friend who always programmed using Java and Python. His system of choice was anything available. I never heard him complain whether it was a low-end system or high-end one - they were always more than sufficient for his programming needs. He even once employed the use of a netbook with integrated graphics to show you how low-end he could go.
java, python,php no problem. But when u run android studio and avd on a nonsense system u will literally hear d system cry before it shows u an error message, then system shuts down by itself

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sultan Akintunde Set For Guinness World Record For Longest Software Coding Time / The Top Highly Paid Programming Languages To Learn / How Much Will It Cost Me To Design a mobile APP In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.