Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,352 members, 7,822,666 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion (8747 Views)

Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion / How Do I Become A Distributor With MTN, Glo And Zain? / Mtn, Glo And Zain Printing Recharge Card Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by Bisijohn: 9:19am On Jul 08, 2009
Europe’s largest entertainment group, Vivendi of France, has reportedly won the race for Zain Africa with a reported bid of $12 billion, according to a Kenyan daily.
The Daily Monitor reports that “although officials at both companies and their transaction handlers declined to confirm the deal, sources familiar with the transaction said it had been recently completed, clearing the way for a new owner for the local operation”.
BusinessDay had exclusively reported on Friday, June 12, this year, that Vivendi was engaged in talks with the Zain Group to buy its Africa operations which span 16 countries, including Nigeria, and that the asking price was $12 billion.
Zain operates in 22 countries with over 15,000 employees providing a range of mobile, voice and data services to over 63.5 million active individuals and business customers by end-year 2008.
Its area of operations include the six countries in the Middle East: Bahrain, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and Lebanon (as MTC touch), and in 16 countries in Africa: Burkina Faso, Chad, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Gabon, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Niger, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia. It has 40 million subscribers on the African continent, with the Nigeria network, which has 15 million subscribers, contributing the most.
But its African operations contributed only 10 percent of profit, last year, though with 65 percent of its customers. The company in Nigeria recently trimmed its workforce significantly, apparently in preparation for the sale.
Media experts expect a change of name, which they said will necessitate a re-branding exercise, which for the Nigerian network alone could cost as much as N1 billion. If this happens, they said, the company will become an international reference point in corporate re-branding.
Zain Nigeria has in the past seven years been owned by different operators and had changed names severally.
It had transformed from Econet Wireless Nigeria to Vodacom, then to V-mobile, again to Celtel and to its current name, Zain.
Experts said that in the course of such a re-branding exercise, a company would have to pull down all its visual communications including ID cards, letterheads, internet website, out door advertising, colour scheme shops, recharge cards and more.
According to Akin Adeoya, managing director/CEO of Marketing Mix, a media and branding communication firm based in Lagos, “If they are going to have a re-branding which will encompass a change of name, it will be a case study internationally. One would not have thought it would have survived so many changes… almost on a yearly basis.
“It will go to prove that if the business proposition works, the branding challenge will also work. The brand already represents a multiplicity of contrasting images to the customer. Some people still call it Econet, some call it Celtel.
“The brand is challenged. There is need for some level of stability. My own advice, if possible will be for the owners to retain the brand name, rather than change it immediately”.
Charles Otudor, managing director of Adstrat Consult, a brand and marketing consulting company, noted that “the constant change in corporate identity of Zain creates top-of-the-mind brand identity crisis and distortion. It is critical for brands to retain consistency in feel, look, and language. Also of critical importance is the brand behaviour.
“Most consumers purchase or invest in brands based on the perceived brand promise. Consistency remains a key component of that purchase and it is mostly a result of trust. That trust can only be achieved via consistency. Besides the perception issue, there is also the economic cost of the new brand implementation. Most brand identity implementations always cost a premium.”
“Coming on the heels of the global financial meltdown, when most organisations are scaling down costs, this identity change is worrisome, but I guess the board has a reason”, he said.
Perhaps, Zain Nigeria’s ability to hold on to its subscribers through the identity changes has not been by happenstance. A source noted that “Zain, since it started eight years ago as Econet Wireless has managed to engage its publics positively and win their loyalty even through a handful of re-branding exercises.
“It has maintained admirable quality of service over the years and during the inception of GSM services in Nigeria, Zain, then Econet, had the lowest denomination of airtime recharge cards and this endeared it to its publics who could recharge their phones for a token. Also, the company has proved itself to be a socially responsible and responsive corporate citizen.”
Continuing, the source said, “It is further said that through its re-branding exercises, Zain has challenged and enriched the media and branding sector in the country and created media crisis and branding experts of its own.”

http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3658:vivendi-finally-lands-zain-africa-for-12bn&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by kdanc(m): 1:04pm On Jul 08, 2009
This is fabulous.

If i may ask will
they still change
the current
name ZAIN?

And if what will
be the next name?
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by iniguy(m): 1:15pm On Jul 08, 2009
Out goes zain, in comes Vivendi! Zain(?) subscribers have gone through a lot! They sure need to be rewarded this time around with improved service delivery and stability, the brand name should be retained.
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by toluwalomo(m): 1:17pm On Jul 08, 2009
Another dies, another one is born.

If this Econet-Vodacom-Vmobile-Celtel-Zain and now,

This reminds me of the SAW movies, so unnecessary.
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by Jaytee67(m): 1:18pm On Jul 08, 2009
Na wa ya oh!
Imagiine what their re-branding cost alone has been gulping since the unending change of names from Econet to Vodacom, Vodacom to V-mobile, V-mobile to Celtel and Celtel to Zain.
Wishing the company all the best. lipsrsealed
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by samsanyus(m): 1:23pm On Jul 08, 2009
Zain again? I think they are still at the bidding stage. But if they will rebrand again, the permanent name should be Zakadezulu networks. I'm wishing Zain & vivendi best of luck. Before now, Zain outsourced their Network management to Erricsson
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by zPixel(m): 1:30pm On Jul 08, 2009
them go enter record o. cool
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by Enquirer: 1:32pm On Jul 08, 2009
Is it not better to rebrand if that is what is necessary rather than go bankrupt with its ugly consequences on the economy? Personally,  if another foreign investor is what it will take to keep Zain (or whatever its name becomes) successful, then I think it is good for the nation's economy. I hope this will translate into more jobs for our teeming graduates.
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by zPixel(m): 1:34pm On Jul 08, 2009
i believe this new guys can see what the previous cant. hope dey hve a faster &better internet connection.
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by LotaAndy: 1:40pm On Jul 08, 2009
OK O! it's about rebranding eh?!

econet-vodacom-vmobile-celtel-zain-vivendi-, LOTA

really UN-COOL!
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by obinna5000(m): 1:41pm On Jul 08, 2009
Everybody get ready for another name change.
Econet -> Vmobile -> Celtel -> Zain -> Vivendi  undecided
I hope it will be the last change and brings about better connections.
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by allboyz(m): 1:41pm On Jul 08, 2009
Wld just love the name Vivendi Nig.
I love this ntwk alot.
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by sylve11: 1:44pm On Jul 08, 2009
Chei!, i don see my ears for this people hand cool
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by seaman104(m): 1:52pm On Jul 08, 2009
Let see what the world will creat. for me i'm tired of this re-branding stuff. everything is busnes sha. just let cross our leg and see how things go, cool
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by dfanthom(m): 1:53pm On Jul 08, 2009
what's this all about? saad al barak & his band of briefcase businessman are at it again! i hope they improve service delivery, spread & prices of their services! meanwhile i hope they recall their sacked staff.
whatever they want to do, na them sabi as they can stretch me a consultancy job on their re-branding that is imminent. cool
wishin them more grease to their elbow, smiley
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by citee(m): 1:56pm On Jul 08, 2009
Fret not, my peeps! It is all in the line of corporate strategy. Hopefully the Zain brand name will endure. But if not, as the saying goes, ''change is the only constant thing in life''!
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by Lazzaro: 2:09pm On Jul 08, 2009
I dont think the brand name will be affected, VIVENDI is only going to be allocated stake on the african operation,
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by Ezenwenyi(m): 2:13pm On Jul 08, 2009
I will buy zain(Vivendi) in 2020.
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by Olubachar(m): 2:14pm On Jul 08, 2009
Not Again angry angry
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by MrCrackles(m): 2:23pm On Jul 08, 2009
And yet another buyer emerges. . . . . . grin
The merry go round continues!
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by Witi(m): 2:33pm On Jul 08, 2009
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by kufreabasi(m): 2:42pm On Jul 08, 2009
Next is the rebranding and a change in name again
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by muhsin(m): 2:45pm On Jul 08, 2009
The new name sounds just weird. LOL grin
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by oge4real(f): 2:46pm On Jul 08, 2009
Hey!! na wa for this network o. What will happen to my internet connectivity I just procured from them? Why cant they just make up their minds on what they want to be?
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by defman: 3:00pm On Jul 08, 2009
Na wa o!!! Basketmouth had advised them to just rename themselves as "The GSM Network". They should have taken his advice a long time ago.
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by yang(m): 3:21pm On Jul 08, 2009
But why was the CEO in naija Mr ligali denying the take over rumors just a few days ago? Is he afraid of losing his job to an italian? grin
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by calyx: 3:22pm On Jul 08, 2009
The FG's rebranding is working afterall
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by nickybayo(f): 3:33pm On Jul 08, 2009
i love the name ZAIN the most
wonder what it will be changed to now
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by koolpal(m): 3:37pm On Jul 08, 2009
going, going,gone and so they will be going, i advise subscribers to look 4 what to cling to
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by rasputinn(m): 3:38pm On Jul 08, 2009
What happens to their all the staff they out-sourced to Ericsson?
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by lawwyblack(m): 4:03pm On Jul 08, 2009
prostituting network should be next buyer. grin
Re: Zain Africa Has Finally Been Sold To Vivendi Of France At $12billion by zenatta: 4:18pm On Jul 08, 2009
meetings upon meetings
men in black, briefcases and findings

rebranding
renaming

from econet to zain
Vivendi please retain

12 free texts a month

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dangote Announces Issuance Of ₦50 Billion Series 1 & 2 Under ₦ 150 Billion C.P / Your Passive Income Goals + Making Money Online / Car Hire And Keke Maruwa Business.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.