Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,064 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Authority To Forgive Sins - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Authority To Forgive Sins (1026 Views)

Oyedepo: A Believer Behaving Like Mumu In Place Of Authority, This Is Evil Govt / Stephanie Otobo's Mother Begging Apostle Suleman To Forgive Her Daughter (Video) / Stephanie Otobo's Mother Begs Apostle Suleman: "Please Forgive My Daughter" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Authority To Forgive Sins by Gombs(m): 9:24am On Feb 17, 2016
Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained (John 20:23).

In Mark 2, the Bible tells us how a crowd gathered unto Jesus in a house, jamming the entrance that no one could get in or out. Four men, who weren't able to get in, because of the crowd, removed a part of the roof, and lowered their friend, a paralyzed man, on a stretcher down to Jesus, expecting a healing touch from the Master.

Jesus didn't touch him or even say anything about the man's sickness or his physical condition. However, He dealt with the man's spiritual condition first, because his physical condition was created by his spiritual condition. In the fifth verse, Jesus said to the paralytic, "Son, your sins are forgiven you."

Some religious scholars present became indignant, and murmured, "Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?" (Mark 2:7). You see, they knew that Jesus had power to heal, but they didn't know He also had power to forgive sins. So, He explained to them that He, the Son of man, had power on earth to forgive sins. Glory to God! And you know what? He's given us the same authority that He had to dispense good things. He said in John 20:23, "whose soever sins you remit, they're remitted, and whose soever sins you retain, they're retained."

Therefore, we can pronounce healing and other blessings on, and for others, in the Name of Jesus, the same way we pronounce forgiveness. He's sent us as bearers of His Gospel, to unveil the Father's heart of love and compassion to the nations of the world. What a blessing!
Re: Authority To Forgive Sins by Scholar8200(m): 9:33am On Feb 17, 2016
Bro, I believe this John 20:23 was to be achieved , not by some declaration,but by what came before it:

Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you
John 20:21

He sent them to:
46 and said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
48 And ye are witnesses of these things

Meaning sins will be remitted as they witnessed Jesus through Whom sins were to be remitted. And he that believed them not remains with his guilt and will be damned!

In case you disagree, please show me at least one instance in the NT where any of the apostles expressedly forgave sins.

Regards
Re: Authority To Forgive Sins by Gombs(m): 10:02am On Feb 17, 2016
Scholar8200:
Bro, I believe this John 20:23 was to be achieved , not by some declaration,but by what came before it:

Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you
John 20:21

He sent them to:
46 and said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
48 And ye are witnesses of these things

Meaning sins will be remitted as they witnessed Jesus through Whom sins were to be remitted. And he that believed them not remains with his guilt and will be damned!

In case you disagree, please show me at least one instance in the NT where any of the apostles expressedly forgave sins.

Regards

hold on sir...

In John 20:23, Jesus tells His disciples, “If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."

what is soooooooooooooo difficult in understanding there?

Remember Peter and Ananias and Sapphira? Do you think Peter or God killed them?... in fact, who killed them?

there was a brother Paul handed over to the devil... Paul said "I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus"

why don't you ask me who gave him the audacity?
Re: Authority To Forgive Sins by Scholar8200(m): 10:24am On Feb 17, 2016
Gombs:

hold on sir...

In John 20:23, Jesus tells His disciples, “If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."

what is soooooooooooooo difficult in understanding there?

Remember Peter and Ananias and Sapphira? Do you think Peter or God killed them?... in fact, who killed them?

there was a brother Paul handed over to the devil... Paul said "I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus"

why don't you ask me who gave him the audacity?
Bro, these instances you have mentioned are matters regarding church discipline not the remission or retention of sins. The passage John 20:23 did not even ask them to FORGIVE sins it says to REMIT now remember that without the shedding of BLOOD there is no remission of sins!!!

Moreover, it is wrong to cleave tenaciously to one verse sans looking at the preceding verses and other parallel verses.
Re: Authority To Forgive Sins by Gombs(m): 11:01am On Feb 17, 2016
Scholar8200:
Bro, these instances you have mentioned are matters regarding church discipline not the [size=18pt]remission [/size] or retention of sins.

Remission of Sin is by the blood of Jesus... it is done once. Stop mixing facts

The passage John 20:23 did not even ask them to FORGIVE sins it says to REMIT now remember that without the shedding of BLOOD there is no remission of sins!!!

Remission of sin is WAY different from forgiveness of Sin.... how come you dont know the difference?

Jesus said ... “If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."

what is hard in understanding there? undecided undecided undecided

Moreover, it is wrong to cleave tenaciously to one verse sans looking at the preceding verses and other parallel verses.

advice yourself sir.

meanwhile, who killed Annanias and his wife? God or Peter?
Re: Authority To Forgive Sins by Scholar8200(m): 12:57pm On Feb 17, 2016
Gombs:

Remission of Sin is by the blood of Jesus... it is done once. Stop mixing facts

Remission of sin is WAY different from forgiveness of Sin.... how come you dont know the difference?

Jesus said ... “If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."

what is hard in understanding there? undecided undecided undecided

advice yourself sir.

meanwhile, who killed Annanias and his wife? God or Peter?

My question is was there any time when ANY of the Apostles expressedly forgave or retained sins?

The reference to Ananias is a case of Church discipline. We are talking here of Peter or any apostles saying, like Jesus did, " man/woman, thy sins be forgiven thee" or " man, your sins will not be forgiven"! What then is the essence of preaching the Gospel and asking men to believe the Gospel?!
Re: Authority To Forgive Sins by Gombs(m): 6:50am On Feb 18, 2016
church discipline abi?

Imagine if it was Pastor Chris who was involved in same... Can you imagine your posts on NL when such happens? Would you tag it "Church discipline"?

Simple question... Who killed those couple? God or Peter?
Re: Authority To Forgive Sins by Scholar8200(m): 7:31am On Feb 18, 2016
Gombs:
church discipline abi?

Imagine if it was Pastor Chris who was involved in same... Can you imagine your posts on NL when such happens? Would you tag it "Church discipline"?

Simple question... Who killed those couple? God or Peter?
1. If pst Chris did similar, he might get arrested but released soon because there would be no evidence against him!
2. Peter said they lied to the Holy Ghost and to God and this happened b4 they died! Judge yourself who gave the judgement. Let me help, when the propheta of old confronted people with their sins and declared God's judgement eg captivity, infirmity or death. Who was responsible when those things happened? God or the prophet?
Re: Authority To Forgive Sins by Gombs(m): 8:40am On Feb 18, 2016
Scholar8200:

1. If pst Chris did similar, he might get arrested but released soon because there would be no evidence against him!
2. Peter said they lied to the Holy Ghost and to God and this happened b4 they died! Judge yourself who gave the judgement. Let me help, when the propheta of old confronted people with their sins and declared God's judgement eg captivity, infirmity or death. Who was responsible when those things happened? God or the prophet?

Peter or God please.

see as you dismissed the "if it were to be Pastor Chris" question
Re: Authority To Forgive Sins by Scholar8200(m): 8:42am On Feb 18, 2016
Gombs:

Peter or God please.
God!
Jesus had expressedly said He was not here to destroy men's lives but to save meaning He would not give to His disciples that He never used!

Now you answer this, Who killed Korah, Dathan and Abiram?

see as you dismissed the "if it were to be Pastor Chris" question
Yes! What evidence can be brought against a man in this case before the court?
Re: Authority To Forgive Sins by promisechuks: 9:10am On Feb 18, 2016
Scholar8200:
God!
Jesus had expressedly said He was not here to destroy men's lives but to save meaning He would not give to His disciples that He never used!

Now you answer this, Who killed Korah, Dathan and Abiram?
Please I can't just see some sense in your facts
Re: Authority To Forgive Sins by Scholar8200(m): 9:27am On Feb 18, 2016
promisechuks:

Please I can't just see some sense in your facts
Never mind bro, my fello discussant knows where we are coming from.
Re: Authority To Forgive Sins by Gombs(m): 2:48pm On Feb 18, 2016
Scholar8200:
God!

grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Your ilk would have called him an occultic man, etc... i can imagine the topic on front page... I wasn't referring to any law courts.

...emmmm, for the records, there is NOT one verse of Scripture that states that God killed them! Please, also note, that Peter didn't kill them either; he never placed any curse upon them! wink

now ask me, why did i bring this up.
Re: Authority To Forgive Sins by Scholar8200(m): 3:32pm On Feb 18, 2016
Gombs:

grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Your ilk would have called him an occultic man, etc... i can imagine the topic on front page... I wasn't referring to any law courts.

...emmmm, for the records, there is NOT one verse of Scripture that states that God killed them! Please, also note, that Peter didn't kill them either; he never placed any curse upon them! wink

now ask me, why did i bring this up.
Rather, tell us who did?

(1) (Reply)

OMG! Shameless Evangelist Caught With Married Woman In An Uncompleted Building / 5 Year Old Girl On Her Knees And In Tears Worshipping Last Sunday (pic) / Warning Message I Got On Whatsapp Pls Christains Do Not Ignore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.