Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,095 members, 7,825,456 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains (18916 Views)

Ongoing Work At Lagos-ibadan Expressway. Fashola Is Working (Pics) / Interrogating The Budget Of Buharinomics, By Femi Aribisala - Premium Times / [BUHARINOMICS] Is 1983 About To Repeat Itself? By Nairametrics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by Nobody: 10:08am On Feb 19, 2016
EastanPower:

I support any Government policies that would frustrate importation.

I keep wondering why we import frozen chicken! There are a lot of Nigerians into poultry business and then can provide us with all the chicken we want.

Why are obsessed with eating rice from Asia? Why can't we encourage Abakaliki/Anambra rice farmers to produce more and earn good income for their labour?

God bless you, the only problem with banning stuff is we will have WTO and IMF to contend with.
Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by realborn(m): 10:09am On Feb 19, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by ISpiksDaTroof: 10:09am On Feb 19, 2016
Seun:
It worked marvelously in Argentina, Greece, and Zimbabwe. Why not Nigeria? /s
So, the above mentioned economies crumbled because imports were stifled?

You're either averse to the truth or pretending you know more than you actually do.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by ISpiksDaTroof: 10:11am On Feb 19, 2016
IyaIode:

Add China, India and Brazil to your list to sound logical. Greece and Argentina didn't fail because of falling currency value. Sanctions killed Zimbabwe.

China and India discouraged importation of finished goods, that's why they are economic powers today. Nigeria should do same.

Exporters are smiling to the bank with the value of the naira.
Thank you!

Most of them just come on here pretending like they know what they're talking about.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by EastanPower(m): 10:12am On Feb 19, 2016
IyaIode:

God bless you, the only problem with banning stuff is we will have WTO and IMF to contend with.

IMf should go to hell, I don't think they care about us.
Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by arewafederation: 10:12am On Feb 19, 2016
Reyginus:
So how is this an exchange rate policy?
It's not. It's the effects of the exchange rate policy.
Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by Ebukaobi: 10:13am On Feb 19, 2016
Seun:

False

Greece is going through economic crises partly because it does not have control of its monetary policy and therefore cannot devalue its currency. It's part of the Euro and it is managed by the ECB.

Greece would have performed better if it had its own currency and devalued it. They are export oriented

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by Caseless: 10:34am On Feb 19, 2016
I love this...
Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by MyMouth(m): 10:39am On Feb 19, 2016
IyaIode:

Add China, India and Brazil to your list to sound logical. Greece and Argentina didn't fail because of falling currency
value. Sanctions killed Zimbabwe.

China and India discouraged importation of finished goods, that's why they are economic powers today. Nigeria should do same.

with the way things are going, very soon most Nigerian businessman and women would go into export business, na to fine one product for this country begin export oo! na him sure pass! imported products are too expensive now! back to naija made joor!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by Ecoterrorism(f): 10:43am On Feb 19, 2016
IyaIode:

So we devalue to like say 300 naira to $1, who is to say the scarcity of dollar won't drive the black market to 500 naira.

Btw devaluing will drive up landing cost of petrol, are you ready to pay more for petrol?

If you increase tariff, importers will increase local price driving up inflation, you know this things don't work in Nigeria.
E. g if dangote had not set up a sugar factory, importers will not stop importing. How many dangotes do we have
we are in deep poo in both ways but devaluation will be the best option in the long run because the same things you listed will still happen before June if we don't devalue. We can devalue at 250 and tighten our borders to avoid drastic importation then govt needs to look for how to increase our agriculture output because that's where the common man will feel the bite more.

Govt has to subsidise petrol to cushion the effects of devaluation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by Nobody: 10:44am On Feb 19, 2016
maclatunji:
Buharinomics is Working

I can see why former President Jonathan could oversee the most odious looting of the treasury with the way Nigerians are reacting to the current state of the economy. The Buhari government has made it clear that it is determined to wean us off importation and what this means for a country that imports virtually everything from eggs to toothpicks is that people will feel the pain initially.

However, the Buhari government's economic policy of stifling frivolous imports and not officially sanctioning the devaluation of the naira is working as the manufacturing industry is beginning to grow. There is evidence for this assertion here http://communityvoiceradio.com/chinese-auto-firm-to-set-up-assembly-plant-in-calabar/ and http://nairametrics.com/bua-group-and-this-chinese-company-will-build-a-1-9b-steel-plant-in-nigeria

The same with agriculture https://www.nairaland.com/2904854/anambra-begins-vegetable-export-uk
and http://www.punchng.com/ooni-promises-jobs-for-40000-youths-through-agriculture/.

Yes, there are initial pains but if Nigerians support the government and stop the addiction for imported items, we will be on the way to long-lasting and sustainable economic growth and development.

Despite the problems with the budget which proper scrutiny from the National Assembly can help address, it still has a large focus on infrastructure development that will benefit the economy and citizens in the middle to long term.

Our duty as citizens is to look at ways of helping to make things better as the government fights corruption and implements structural reform of our economy not to whine about not being able to continue our destructive habits of wasteful spending and unnecessary importation for temporary gain.

Source: http://www.coolstuff49ja.com/2016/02/buharinomics-is-working.html
[size=15pt]^ This is a classic case of massive self-delusion .[/size]

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by Omenkata: 11:12am On Feb 19, 2016
Seun:
because Nigeria is being governed by the most useless incompetent hopeless president ever.
the illiterate from Daura that only knows how the meals of his private jet tastes because as a useless old hag cattle rearing bastard vagabond he is, he prefers junketing around the world showing the world his useless old face than sticking his nyanch in Nigeria and deliver the dividend of democracy.

a man with a charlatan like lair Muhammed as a minister is doomed to fail
no amount of propaganda will save his useless self.

shame to the worst president ever since the rise of civilization and democracy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by Nobody: 11:17am On Feb 19, 2016
arewafederation:

It's not. It's the effects of the exchange rate policy.
What's this exchange rate policy?
Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by Osama10(m): 11:22am On Feb 19, 2016
Alxmyr:
God bless you my brother.
But the blessing will only become permanent if you can say Amen to this short prayer.
May God change your life the way Buhari has changed Nigeria in the last 8 months.

grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by kvngveektour(m): 11:22am On Feb 19, 2016
Seun:

It worked in those countries cos there was no hidden agenda

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by banio: 11:26am On Feb 19, 2016
Things are really expensive

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by Nobody: 11:26am On Feb 19, 2016
I dey tell u
Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by tiwiex(m): 11:27am On Feb 19, 2016
drss:
make una prepare o! very soon milk n bread go scarce cos buari dullard does not know economics. d only tin he understand is corruption.
If i was in buari's shoes, dis is wat i for don do:
[b]- as soon as am sworn in, i will appoint minister of finance n constitute an economic team on 5th june 2015 to fomulate economic policies to drive d economy out of oil. i will make sure my economic team through budget office prepare 2016 national budget by september for presentation in october 2015.
- i will prevail on national assembly to pass national budget before christmas break on dec 2015.
- on june 20th 2015, i will devalue d naira n send suplimentary budget bill of N700 billion to national assembly for approval. dis monies will be use to support strategic industries like automobiles to help boost their production capacity for local consumption n export. i will partner with china to help develop our local content on manufacturing. d supplimentary budget will serve as an emergency budget to pave d way for export led economy. parts of d monies will also be used to help fix power infrastructure.
- i will invest massively in agricultural mechanization. infact agriculture will get d lion share of N700 billion in my 2016 budget. If i were buari, i will improve d youwin program n support young pipul who have passion for farming. special grants will be given to poultry farmers instead of d so call N5,000 to d poor nonsense.
- i will begin massive infrastructual development of roads n bridges n prepare a contract for d construction of 2 sea ports in south east n south south. container ports will also be established in north east for export of agricultural produce.
- i will downsize d federal civil service.
- i will abolish govt sponsorship of pilgrimage. make everbody hussle for him religious duties.
- i will send a bill for final implementation of true federalism where every state will be responsible for demsleves. d states will have total conrol to their resources n develop their solid minerals within their domain. afta which i will abolish federation account. no more feeding bottle.
- finally i will bail out all d states of d federation to enable dem develop their economic resources according to ther comperative advantage. each state will be responsible for generating their revenue. afta which all d states will be left on their own. [/b]
dis is wat i will do if i were buari.

And disadvantaged states in the senate will approve it? Hmmmm. Governance no be Nairaland oh.

2 Likes

Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by omolola15(m): 11:29am On Feb 19, 2016
Seun:

It can work in Nigeria but the patience to achieve it is the problem. We need leaders that are ready to put Nigeria first. Not their pockets. And I'm telling you, getting those kinds of politicians these days will be very hard.

Also please do something about this your autospam bot. I was answering some questions in the computer section and the bot banned me for no reason.
Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by Princecharming01(m): 11:32am On Feb 19, 2016
[quote author=drss post=43058359]make una prepare o! very soon milk n bread go scarce cos buari dullard does not know economics. d only tin he understand is corruption.
If i was in buari's shoes, dis is wat i for don do:
[b]- as soon as am sworn in, i will appoint minister of finance n constitute an economic team on 5th june 2015 to fomulate economic policies to drive d economy out of oil. i will make sure my economic team through budget office prepare 2016 national budget by september for presentation in october 2015.
- i will prevail on national assembly to pass national budget before christmas break on dec 2015.
- on june 20th 2015, i will devalue d naira n send suplimentary budget bill of N700 billion to national assembly for approval. dis monies will be use to support strategic industries like automobiles to help boost their production capacity for local consumption n export. i will partner with china to help develop our local content on manufacturing. d supplimentary budget will serve as an emergency budget to pave d way for export led economy. parts of d monies will also be used to help fix power infrastructure.
- i will invest massively in agricultural mechanization. infact agriculture will get d lion share of N700 billion in my 2016 budget. If i were buari, i will improve d youwin program n support young pipul who have passion for farming. special grants will be given to poultry farmers instead of d so call N5,000 to d poor nonsense.
- i will begin massive infrastructual development of roads n bridges n prepare a contract for d construction of 2 sea ports in south east n south south. container ports will also be established in north east for export of agricultural produce.
- i will downsize d federal civil service.
- i will abolish govt sponsorship of pilgrimage. make everbody hussle for him religious duties.
- i will send a bill for final implementation of true federalism where every state will be responsible for demsleves. d states will have total conrol to their resources n develop their solid minerals within their domain. afta which i will abolish federation account. no more feeding bottle.
- finally i will bail out all d states of d federation to enable dem develop their economic resources according to ther comperative advantage. each state will be responsible for generating their revenue. afta which all d states will be left on their own. [/b]
dis is wat i will do if i were buari.[/good vision but better said than done in nigerian political clime]
Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 19, 2016
Omenkata:

because Nigeria is being governed by the most useless incompetent hopeless president ever.
the illiterate from Daura that only knows how the meals of his private jet tastes because as a useless old hag cattle rearing bastard vagabond he is, he prefers junketing around the world showing the world his useless old face than sticking his nyanch in Nigeria and deliver the dividend of democracy.

[size=14pt]Such bitterness.[/size]
He has not even spent a year.

Yes there is bad economy now, is he the one controlling the global price of oil that Nigeria
is solely depending on and that is causing the wreck in our economy?

3 Likes

Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by doctokwus: 11:34am On Feb 19, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:

You're either averse to the truth or pretending you know more than you actually do.
I think it's both.
Many in this forum just take a position from their biased view and stick to it.
The basic point people are missing is that with our mono product economy,u wudnt stop devaluing.
If cbn devalues the currency to say N350,because the cbn cannot meet all currency needs, the blackmarket wud still be there and the naira there wud be N500-N600!
Yes, the cbn monetary policy can be better,but there wud never be an end to devaluation as long as we are an import dependent nation.
It's quite obvious from d pson u quoted that owing a forum does not necessarily equate to sufficient grasp of issues.

1 Like

Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by hucienda: 11:34am On Feb 19, 2016
Seun:

lols... bad ass... I see what you did there grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by snailspeed: 11:38am On Feb 19, 2016
Seun:

Hahahaha hahahaha! Seeeeuuuuun ooooohhhhhh!

You wan tear person belle this early morning!!!

I still dey roll for floor
Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by alexlee50: 11:41am On Feb 19, 2016
Is the writer of this article in nigeria? Has the present reality of the economy not dawned on him? Which goods are now being produced in Nigeria which were formerly imported? Is the president eating abakaliki, zamfara or kebbi rice now? When this administration commenced, did the new customs boss not open the borders for impoters to dump rice from all parts of the world to Nigeria? Have the infastructures necessary to aid manufacturers in place? What has changed since may last year?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by fyneguy: 11:42am On Feb 19, 2016
Alxmyr:
God bless you my brother.
But the blessing will only become permanent if you can say Amen to this short prayer.
May God change your life the way Buhari has changed Nigeria in the last 8 months.

AMEN for me!
Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by nortcentrallord(m): 11:45am On Feb 19, 2016
When will this face saving propaganda end? How much were you paid to close your eyes to the truth?
Wasn't this what BMB asserted and people like you bashed him for saying the truth? Nass did a good job on the budget or pdp senators did a good job in exposing the Rubbish that was presented to enable election funds repaid? I wonder how some people reason. In you and your lots voice, "bubu is working" and may he work you and your likes to your end. Amen.

2 Likes

Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by efilefun(m): 11:47am On Feb 19, 2016
IyaIode:

Add China, India and Brazil to your list to sound logical. Greece and Argentina didn't fail because of falling currency value. Sanctions killed Zimbabwe.

God bless you, I was in India some years back and noticed the only foreign phone popular in the market is IPhone and they even have iPhone India. Their cars, bikes and auto rickshaw (keke napep) was produced in the country. Imagine nigeria importing toothpick that's a national disgrace
Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by paschu: 11:47am On Feb 19, 2016
Seun:

What exactly worked in those places. I really want to know. And how exactly is the current administration applying it? And what are the proofs that the corelations you might be hinting on were the actual causations of the results you talk about?

cheesy grin grin YOUR SARCASM IS CLASSIC THOUGH.

1 Like

Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by Ecoterrorism(f): 11:48am On Feb 19, 2016
IyaIode:

you sound more intelligent on economic matters than Seen. Keep it up.

Its just your tribalism that is destroying you
Re: Buharinomics Is Working Despite The Initial Pains by efilefun(m): 11:49am On Feb 19, 2016
Omenkata:

Even if seun decides to ignore all the insults on this post am sure oga mynd44 or ishilove still remembers the rules on this forum

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

IPOB: Kanu Not Being Held By Nigerian Govt, May Be Hiding – Lai Mohammed / kwankwaso: Powerful Forces Imposed Ganduje On Kano In 2019 / Asari-dokubo: Arrest Obasanjo, Atiku, Others Now For Role In PDP Crisis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.