Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,835 members, 7,841,185 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? (1958 Views)

Whom Should Buhari's Successor Blame For Nigerias Economic Mess? / IGR: Poor And Rich States In Nigeria - Economic Confidential / Fastest Way To Get Out Of Our Economic Mess (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by Appswheel(m): 4:29pm On Feb 21, 2016
Nigeria’s over reliance on crude oil is the root cause of her present economic situation. Every Nigerian adult identify over reliance on crude has the root of Nigerians economy woes. Who is to blame for this – Successive leaders? Fmr Presidents – Jonathan, Obasanjo, Okonjo Iweala, Muritala Mohammed, all of them put together?

Are you better wired than the individuals listed above? The consistent dependence on oil by successive Nigerian government reveals that we need a mental change as a people.

I sometime wonder the cause of our mental laziness as a nation, it is definitely not from religion, as much as I know, no religion supports and encourages laziness. The Scriptures recorded that Joseph the father of Jesus was a Carpenter, he turned wood into valuable products; chairs, tables, sofas, beds, stools etc With so many adherent of the Christian and Islamic faith in Nigeria…. At no time had we had an atheist President since independence, where did we get it all wrong?

The creation account tells us how God formed the universe with the words of mouth, out of nothing. In our case He buried Gold, Lead, Tin, Columbite, Barite, Crude Oil, Iron Ore, Coal etc underneath our soil. He ensured we did not need to think about creating wonders out of nothing, given the many natural resources he blessed us with. The best we have done so far is to over rely on Crude oil.

56 years after Independence, what I see is a nation walking in the opposite direction of her promise land. It took the Israelites forty years to arrive the promise land, how long will it take Nigeria? When shall we break off from the self-slavery we have entrapped ourselves through greed, ethnicity, religious intolerance?

The best years of Nigeria is ahead, it lies in the hands of the generation that would realize what it means to “cultivate”, “till” the land, grow crops and make grains from them. A generation whose Civil service know their primary duty is not just to collect salaries but contribute meaningfully to the prosperity of the Nation. A generation that seeks no superiority in race, gender, and religion but promotes the beauty in our diversity, uphold dignity of labor and human life, pursues Justice and Fairness.

Before you complain about the deplorable state of Nigeria, think about how some of your little acts, actions and inaction have led us to our present situation. We can undo our past mistakes, we can begin a new walk in the right direction to the land of our dreams.

May the labour, sacrifices of our heroes past not be in vain. Amen

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by ladyF(f): 4:31pm On Feb 21, 2016
We all have a hand in it, me inclusive.

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by acenazt: 4:36pm On Feb 21, 2016
Wailers will blame Pmb and emm! What are pmb's supporters called? I think it Is Babarians yes. Babarians will blame Gej. Me i go blame Pdp sha.

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by Appswheel(m): 4:44pm On Feb 21, 2016
acenazt:
Wailers will blame Pmb and emm! What are pmb's supporters called? I think it Is Babarians yes. Babarians will blame Gej. Me i go blame Pdp sha.
But lack of an economic blueprint for Nigeria Pre dates the existence of PDP and APC. This is not time for blame shifting. As individuals and collectives we must address the problems that plague us as a people. For instance, what do you do as an individual? What do you contribute to the Nigeria economy. This is a question we all must ask ourselves......

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by Omololu007(m): 4:47pm On Feb 21, 2016
Ibos

2 Likes

Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by 989900: 4:50pm On Feb 21, 2016
Wrong direction of purpose . . . the economy (country) is dying, and you are still looking for who to blame . . . continue . . .

This is the time to put heads together and fashion a responsive solution.

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by Appswheel(m): 4:59pm On Feb 21, 2016
989900:
Wrong direction of purpose . . . the economy (country) is dying, and you are still looking for who to blame . . . continue . . .

This is the time to put heads together and fashion a responsive solution.

Hi bro, I hope you read the article? If you did, you should know its not about looking for who to blame...

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by 989900: 5:03pm On Feb 21, 2016
Appswheel:

Hi bro, I hope you read the article? If you did, you should know its not about looking for who to blame...

See below.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by 989900: 5:06pm On Feb 21, 2016
Appswheel:

Sorry, now I get your drift ( the headline and intro though).

Well, following your line of thought, you'll still have to blame all past administrations.

I posted the below on one of the Ben Bruce's 'buy naija' thread.

I wish he channeled just 50% of the same energy and vigor into calling out the bigger evil of importation of refined petroleum products, which is actually responsible for roughly 40% of our demand for forex -- which shouldn't have ever been in the first place if all past governments did the needful.

Some things we import like generators, rechargeable lamps, some food items due to lack of storage which needs power, and many more (too much to mention), would not have been, if we had stable power.

Blame the FG, the CBN, for self-serving/skewed monetary policies that makes it impossible to borrow money at reasonable rates. How many brilliant and enterprising NLs are on the agric and science sections with ideas wasting away!

Blame the states for being nothing, but beggars and 'free riders' -- 'riding shotgun' at best.

Stop blaming the masses for the failures of government!

Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by acenazt: 5:13pm On Feb 21, 2016
Appswheel:

But lack of an economic blueprint for Nigeria Pre dates the existence of PDP and APC. This is not time for blame shifting. As individuals and collectives we must address the problems that plague us as a people. For instance, what do you do as an individual? What do you contribute to the Nigeria economy. This is a question we all must ask ourselves......
ok i blame the british colonialists. They laid the foundation 4 dis madness.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by IkpuMmadu: 5:41pm On Feb 21, 2016
Gyan

But are some of the things John Magufuli has done already in LESS THAN A MONTH. Not in 3 or 6 years, one month. He’s shown a clear commitment to walk the talk but not to talk and talk and talk and talk more like we do here:

1. Soon after his election, Magufuli declared there would be no celebration of Independence Day on 9 December because it would be “shameful” to spend huge sums of money on the celebrations when people were dying of cholera. Instead, the day has been set as a national day of cleanliness, and the money will go toward street¬cleaning services. He has said everybody should pick up their tools and clean their backyards.

2. After his first official visit to the Muhimbili Hospital, and seeing the horrible state it was in, he ordered over 200 million shillings marked for “parliament parties” be used to pay for beds for people lying on the floor and sharing beds.

A few days later 300 beds were delivered. He dismissed the governing board and got a new team in place, and within days the broken MRI was fixed. He also pared down his inauguration party from $100,000 to $7,000 and sent the extra money to the hospital.

3. Three days into his term, Magufuli announced a ban on all foreign travel by government officials. They have been instructed to instead make regular visits to rural areas to learn and help solve problems facing everyday Tanzanians. All tasks that required officials to travel abroad would instead be done by high commissioners and ambassadors who are already in place.

4. He has restricted all first¬ and business class travel to government officials, except the president, vice¬president and prime minister.

5. There will be no more workshops and seminars in expensive hotels when there are so many ministry board rooms available.

6. He suspended the Tanzania Revenue Authority’s chief and other officials pending investigations after a visit by Prime Minister Kassim Majaliwa to the port of Dar es Salaam found 350 containers listed in its books were missing.

7. When he had to travel 600km to Dodoma, from Dar, to officially open parliament last week, he didn’t order a private jet – instead, he chose to drive.

8. At the National Assembly in Dodoma last week he clearly sent out the message that it will not be business as usual under his leadership.

9. He promised to cut public spending, fight corruption and enhance accountability in public service. He said it is time for Tanzanians to walk the talk.

10. Magufuli reportedly told parliamentary leaders that the people of Tanzania want him to solve their problems and not make speeches.

How I wish we could learn….By Kwame Gyan

But Yoruba messed this economy up with their indeginization decree headed by that rascal called awolowo with collaboration of hausas

2 Likes

Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by Appswheel(m): 5:43pm On Feb 21, 2016
Omololu007:
Ibos
Dear Omololu, I do not understand what you mean by "Ibos". Please expatiate on your point. Meanwhile do not give this write up an ethnic bias, remember I referenced ethnicity as one of the problems we are faced as a people. I am Yoruba by tribe. I know Igbos to be industrious, business minded people, left to me, Igbo land ought to be the commercial nerve of Africa.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by Appswheel(m): 5:47pm On Feb 21, 2016
989900:

Sorry, now I get your drift ( the headline and intro though).

Well, following your line of thought, you'll still have to blame all past administrations.

I posted the below on one of the Ben Bruce's 'buy naija' thread.

Your points are well taken and reasonable too. While the government shares a large chunk of the blame as you put it, many Nigerians do not have a "productive" mind. That is my primary concern.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by Appswheel(m): 5:53pm On Feb 21, 2016
IkpuMmadu:
Gyan

But are some of the things John Magufuli has done already in LESS THAN A MONTH. Not in 3 or 6 years, one month. He’s shown a clear commitment to walk the talk but not to talk and talk and talk and talk more like we do here:

1. Soon after his election, Magufuli declared there would be no celebration of Independence Day on 9 December because it would be “shameful” to spend huge sums of money on the celebrations when people were dying of cholera. Instead, the day has been set as a national day of cleanliness, and the money will go toward street¬cleaning services. He has said everybody should pick up their tools and clean their backyards.

2. After his first official visit to the Muhimbili Hospital, and seeing the horrible state it was in, he ordered over 200 million shillings marked for “parliament parties” be used to pay for beds for people lying on the floor and sharing beds.

A few days later 300 beds were delivered. He dismissed the governing board and got a new team in place, and within days the broken MRI was fixed. He also pared down his inauguration party from $100,000 to $7,000 and sent the extra money to the hospital.

3. Three days into his term, Magufuli announced a ban on all foreign travel by government officials. They have been instructed to instead make regular visits to rural areas to learn and help solve problems facing everyday Tanzanians. All tasks that required officials to travel abroad would instead be done by high commissioners and ambassadors who are already in place.

4. He has restricted all first¬ and business class travel to government officials, except the president, vice¬president and prime minister.

5. There will be no more workshops and seminars in expensive hotels when there are so many ministry board rooms available.

6. He suspended the Tanzania Revenue Authority’s chief and other officials pending investigations after a visit by Prime Minister Kassim Majaliwa to the port of Dar es Salaam found 350 containers listed in its books were missing.

7. When he had to travel 600km to Dodoma, from Dar, to officially open parliament last week, he didn’t order a private jet – instead, he chose to drive.

8. At the National Assembly in Dodoma last week he clearly sent out the message that it will not be business as usual under his leadership.

9. He promised to cut public spending, fight corruption and enhance accountability in public service. He said it is time for Tanzanians to walk the talk.

10. Magufuli reportedly told parliamentary leaders that the people of Tanzania want him to solve their problems and not make speeches.

But Yoruba messed this economy up with their indeginization decree headed by that rascal called awolowo with collaboration of hausas

Good measure by a proactive government I'd say. However, your comment,
is vague. can you please shed more light on what you mean by it. Thank you
Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by Appswheel(m): 5:59pm On Feb 21, 2016
acenazt:
ok i blame the british colonialists. They laid the foundation 4 dis madness.

Ah, "blame british colonialists"? You are such an interesting character. After 56 years of Independence if we put the blame of our present condition on the colonial master, then, we are a lost people, drifting with the wind.

I dont think anyone is to blame but us, "Nigerians". For instance, what are you contributing to the prosperity of Nigeria? Have you ever considered the difference you can make?
Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by acenazt: 6:15pm On Feb 21, 2016
Appswheel:

Ah, "blame british colonialists"? You are such an interesting character. After 56 years of Independence if we put the blame of our present condition on the colonial master, then, we are a lost people, drifting with the wind.

I dont think anyone is to blame but us, "Nigerians". For instancat are you contributing to the prosperity of Nigeria? Have you ever considered the difference you can make?
bro me i am here to just blame no more no less.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by cowgirl9090: 6:29pm On Feb 21, 2016
Lord Lugard angry
Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by 989900: 6:43pm On Feb 21, 2016
Appswheel:

Your points are well taken and reasonable too. While the government shares a large chunk of the blame as you put it, many Nigerians do not have a "productive" mind. That is my primary concern.

100! No doubt!
Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by BushidoBlue(m): 7:48pm On Feb 21, 2016
IkpuMmadu:
Gyan

When we wrote about all these last year, many told us that there was corruption and the current administration needed time..
Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Feb 21, 2016
ladyF:
Evebody...exept those that do not know there is NO TIME anyway!
Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Feb 21, 2016
ladyF:
Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Feb 21, 2016
ladyF:
You are wrong the citizens a r e not to blame it is the corrupt leaders
Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by oyinkinola: 8:42pm On Feb 21, 2016
Appswheel:
Nigeria’s over reliance on crude oil is the root cause of her present economic situation. Every Nigerian adult identify over reliance on crude has the root of Nigerians economy woes. Who is to blame for this – Successive leaders? Fmr Presidents – Jonathan, Obasanjo, Okonjo Iweala, Muritala Mohammed, all of them put together?

Are you better wired than the individuals listed above? The consistent dependence on oil by successive Nigerian government reveals that we need a mental change as a people.

I sometime wonder the cause of our mental laziness as a nation, it is definitely not from religion, as much as I know, no religion supports and encourages laziness. The Scriptures recorded that Joseph the father of Jesus was a Carpenter, he turned wood into valuable products; chairs, tables, sofas, beds, stools etc With so many adherent of the Christian and Islamic faith in Nigeria…. At no time had we had an atheist President since independence, where did we get it all wrong?

The creation account tells us how God formed the universe with the words of mouth, out of nothing. In our case He buried Gold, Lead, Tin, Columbite, Barite, Crude Oil, Iron Ore, Coal etc underneath our soil. He ensured we did not need to think about creating wonders out of nothing, given the many natural resources he blessed us with. The best we have done so far is to over rely on Crude oil.

56 years after Independence, what I see is a nation walking in the opposite direction of her promise land. It took the Israelites forty years to arrive the promise land, how long will it take Nigeria? When shall we break off from the self-slavery we have entrapped ourselves through greed, ethnicity, religious intolerance?

The best years of Nigeria is ahead, it lies in the hands of the generation that would realize what it means to “cultivate”, “till” the land, grow crops and make grains from them. A generation whose Civil service know their primary duty is not just to collect salaries but contribute meaningfully to the prosperity of the Nation. A generation that seeks no superiority in race, gender, and religion but promotes the beauty in our diversity, uphold dignity of labor and human life, pursues Justice and Fairness.

Before you complain about the deplorable state of Nigeria, think about how some of your little acts, actions and inaction have led us to our present situation. We can undo our past mistakes, we can begin a new walk in the right direction to the land of our dreams.

May the labour, sacrifices of our heroes past not be in vain. Amen

1. ....there are very many commentary on depreciation of ₦ nowadays expecially in parallel market, although parallel or black market can be manipulated by the traders, they either do it on their self interest, so those who doesn't beleive in the prosperity of nigeria can harbour $ as they can on imported goods hereby cause hike!
But in my own point of view the depreciation of ₦ is a great success to this nation if well manage to nigeria situation today. the looted fund is in $ and it must be refunded back in $, so if $1 is ₦198 when the money is looted, then if the money is refund today at $1 to ₦350 the nation has gained ₦152!
imagine if $1=₦1000, the gain is ₦902!
So in conclusion if the government managed to refund the $trillion looted and the refunded money, change it in parallel market, this will reduce the pressure on ₦ and the scarcity of $ in parallel market so the ₦=$.

(take note all the money took out of CBN during jonathan regime were changed in parallel market before ditributed)

you have other opinion?

2. ...2017 budget will beat record... ₦1 quadrillion!, all the social sectors will be substantially finance to trillions ₦, poverty will be completely eradicated and by the end of year 2018 Nigeria will be declared a developed state and classify one of the first three country in the index of human .
I know you will argue on how this can happen with the economics situation of today, low foreign reserve, low oil price, with depreciation of ₦.
yes oil price is down, foreign reserve is dry but we still have foreign looted fund reserve at hand! when recovered and well managed, it won't be problem to have money for this budget!
we can only pray that a $ hit ₦1000 and all $1 trillion looted recovered!
I know for sure that with the determination of this government and the support of foreign nation to help recovered all $ trillion looted it will happen.....$1 trillion recovered and change to ₦ will give us ₦1 quadrillion needed to financ that budget!
year 2017 bye bye to poverty!

3. ....OIL AND LFR
THE TWO MAIN MEANS OF INCOME FOR NIGERIA ECONOMY
.....with the determination of Nigeria president Buhari and the trust of of world leaders toward nigeria, from America, Eroupe, Asia and gulf nation the down price of oil and the rise in $ is not a corse to nigeria but a blessing.
Among the oil producing countries, and OPEC only nigeria have what other didn't, we have oil in common but nigeria have the looters as well, this opportunity raise nigeria above other oil nation and when all this country are frustrated with oil down price, nigeria have turn to her looted fund reserved to keep her economy running.
Nigeria is bless with oil and (LFR) looted fund reserve, when the oil price is down, the rise-up of dollar $ hike the value of our LFR, if government inject the LFR recovered on the economy, it will boot our economy!
at rate of $ to ₦ today if government managed to recovered $1 trillion LFR it will give us:

$1=₦400, $1trillion=₦400trillion!
I hereby challenge the Nigeria economists who insist that rising $ and downwards of oil price is a broke to nigeria economy to come-up for debate!
Note (LFR is looted fund reserve)
Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Feb 21, 2016
Easy answer BUHARI
Re: Who Is To Blame For Nigeria’s Economic Mess? by oyinkinola: 10:59pm On Feb 21, 2016
[b]The efforts of Nigerian government to recover the looted fund without the full supports of Nigerian would not make the task easy for the government, to recover the looted fund, we are hearing that the looters will fight back the nation and they were doing so without hide! it's samefull to this nation that a few elements with their evil acts and their colaborators hold down the 170 million nigerian in sufferance at the watch of themselves without any reactions isn't this a shame to the nation? If $1 trillion is unaccounted for and we are looking elsewhere for an angel to come and fix our economy for us without taken the looters responsible, it's a shame to this nation, if we still depend on the aid of western world , Usa, Asia gulf state for our own survival while harbouring the looters who looted us to bone without challenge, then it's a shame to the nation! if the Europian looted their treasory can they have the money to fix their economy talkless of helping others. if a party which formed for the service of the people openly support and protected the looters it is a shame, enough is enough for the office holders and publics sevants who looting nigeria treasory. NLFRC is now at watch of you looters and a drastic action will be taken against any looters!
here is some of the action taken so far:
Letter to the UN
Letter to the EU
Letter to the world bank and monetary institutions
Letter to the AU
Letter to the ECOWAS
Letter to the nations: Swis, Gb, Usa, Germany, Asian nation, Gulf states etc
we let's these international communities known that we need their full support on how to help nigerian government recover every kobo looted in nigeia and placed in their countries, no more hide out for the looters any longer, they either return the looted fund at their disposure or return it, no other options, they may try to play god or take is as joke all for their peril!

JOIN NLFRC Crusade to save nigeria nation!
NLFRC: Nigeria Looted Fund Reserve Recovered Crusade.
GOD BLESS NIGERIA....AMEN

co-ordinator oyinkinola[/b]

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Unity Negotiable, Says Prof. Ango Abdullahi / Nigeria Is Too Weak To Break, Says Lamido / No To Tyrannical Governors, Yes To Local Government Autonomy (read bold parts)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.