Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,578 members, 7,820,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 (1033 Views)

Shehu Sani Distributes N15 Million Camels, Foodstuff To His Constituents (photo) / ‘Refusal to Approve N15.37bn Loans Behind Oshiomhole’s Tirade Against Okonjo-Iwe / Mother Sells Child For N50,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 by muhsin(m): 1:07pm On Jul 10, 2009
A woman, Ijeoma Emeto, who allegedly sold her two weeks old daughter for N15, 000 has been arrested by the police in Abuja.

The Area Commander (Metro), Federal Capital Territory Police Command, Assistant Commissioner of Police Sunday Odukoya said Ijeoma Emeto of Mpape Village sold the baby to one Patience Donatus Ejioku a week after her birth. He said the baby was later given to one Jessinta Ekoma who connived with her husband Vincent Ekoma and took the baby to one Juliana Ekoma in Owerri Imo State. He said a team of police officers led by Superintendent Aisha recovered the baby in Owerri.

“We were informed that the baby could not be found with her mother few days after birth and when we investigated we discovered how the baby was sold. Police would not know the motive behind selling the baby until after investigation. All the suspects have been arrested apart from Juliana Ekoma who is on the run,” he said.

He said Emota who has two other children is in police custody with her accomplices. He said all the children are under the care of the police as she is a single mother.

Emota said when she found that the baby was ill and she could not be able to settle her medical bills she took her to Donatus for care. “I too was unwell and Dotatus gave me N15, 000 for my medical expenses. We met in the church,” she said.

Jessinta said Ejioku complained to her that she could not take care of the baby, so she collected her and gave her sister in law (Juliana) in Owerri. “Juliana has not given birth and was looking for a baby,” she said.

http://www.news.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2533:mother-sells-daughter-for-n15000&catid=46:lead-stories&Itemid=140
Re: Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 by TheSeeker(m): 1:17pm On Jul 10, 2009
Lord Jesus! Have Mercy!
Re: Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 by JustGood(m): 1:25pm On Jul 10, 2009
this one pass me shocked shocked shocked
Re: Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 by PeeDaVinci: 1:39pm On Jul 10, 2009
Although i am totally against the sale of children based on my moral and religious upbringing, but, let us just view the case from an opposite angle : is there any law against sale of children (inasmuch as you are not selling them to be abused e.g for prostitution and child labour), you are selling the child to a good family so that the child can have a better life. This is very similar (more or less ) to what is done in orphanage, but they dont just tagged it with "child sale". Selling a child into a good family should be normal. extending the argument to an extreme case is the issue of surrogate parents, sperm donors, ovary donors - this is the sale of life too in one form of the other, as it is with the sale of children.

Let me state again, the views expreseed above arre not my personal views ( a lawyer will plead a case he doesnt believe in some times, and this is what im doing)
Re: Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 by MrCrackles(m): 1:42pm On Jul 10, 2009
So poverty don reach this levels? shocked
Re: Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 by seyibrown(f): 1:51pm On Jul 10, 2009
People should be encouraged to adopt children/give them up for adoption, not buy/sell them! The child is at risk if being bought/sold.
Re: Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 by muhsin(m): 3:22pm On Jul 10, 2009
seyibrown:

People should be encouraged to adopt children/give them up for adoption, not buy/sell them! The child is at risk if being bought/sold.

I once heard one complaining that he went to adopt a child but the rules are a pain in the neck.
Has anyone know how this works?
Re: Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 by Ifygurl: 7:24pm On Jul 10, 2009
Tufiakwa. May God have mercy on that woman.

If you don't have money to raise your daughter, give her up for adoption. Don't sell your fucking child as if she's some kind of object. Tufia
Re: Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 by Dede1(m): 8:30pm On Jul 10, 2009
Anybody who read this article of alleged selling of a baby by a mother and concluded that it happened as stated should not be allowed any place close to decision making circle.

If the majority of conclusions instigated by the article are yardstick to measure the intellects of the so-called Nigerians, then I will suggest that the country is in a deeper trouble than perceived.
Re: Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 by tamme: 10:25pm On Jul 10, 2009
shameful
Re: Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 by dean2725: 11:15pm On Jul 10, 2009
muhsin:

A woman, Ijeoma Emeto, who allegedly sold her two weeks old daughter for N15, 000 has been arrested by the police in Abuja.

The Area Commander (Metro), Federal Capital Territory Police Command, Assistant Commissioner of Police Sunday Odukoya said Ijeoma Emeto of Mpape Village sold the baby to one Patience Donatus Ejioku a week after her birth. He said the baby was later given to one Jessinta Ekoma who connived with her husband Vincent Ekoma and took the baby to one Juliana Ekoma in Owerri Imo State. He said a team of police officers led by Superintendent Aisha recovered the baby in Owerri.

“We were informed that the baby could not be found with her mother few days after birth and when we investigated we discovered how the baby was sold. Police would not know the motive behind selling the baby until after investigation. All the suspects have been arrested apart from Juliana Ekoma who is on the run,” he said.

He said Emota who has two other children is in police custody with her accomplices. He said all the children are under the care of the police as she is a single mother.

Emota said when she found that the baby was ill and she could not be able to settle her medical bills she took her to Donatus for care. “I too was unwell and Dotatus gave me N15, 000 for my medical expenses. We met in the church,” she said.

Jessinta said Ejioku complained to her that she could not take care of the baby, so she collected her and gave her sister in law (Juliana) in Owerri. “Juliana has not given birth and was looking for a baby,” she said.

http://www.news.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2533:mother-sells-daughter-for-n15000&catid=46:lead-stories&Itemid=140

The woman might not probably intentd to sell the child. The topic of the thread might be convincing
Re: Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 by dean2725: 11:16pm On Jul 10, 2009
PeeDaVinci:

Although i am totally against the sale of children based on my moral and religious upbringing, but, let us just view the case from an opposite angle : is there any law against sale of children (inasmuch as you are not selling them to be abused e.g for prostitution and child labour), you are selling the child to a good family so that the child can have a better life. This is very similar (more or less ) to what is done in orphanage, but they dont just tagged it with "child sale". Selling a child into a good family should be normal. extending the argument to an extreme case is the issue of surrogate parents, sperm donors, ovary donors - this is the sale of life too in one form of the other, as it is with the sale of children.

Let me state again, the views expreseed above arre not my personal views ( a lawyer will plead a case he doesnt believe in some times, and this is what im doing)

Thats a good argument there!
Re: Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 by muhsin(m): 11:31am On Jul 11, 2009
Dede1:

Anybody who read this article of alleged selling of a baby by a mother and concluded that it happened as stated should not be allowed any place close to decision making circle.

If the majority of conclusions instigated by the article are yardstick to measure the intellects of the so-called Nigerians, then I will suggest that the country is in a deeper trouble than perceived.

I don't quite get where you are leading to by your words.
Re: Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 by Dede1(m): 7:24pm On Jul 11, 2009
muhsin:

I don't quite get where you are leading to by your words.

If your degree of comprehension had correctly adjudged the article as intended, who is Dede1 to ridicule your God-given level of intelligent? However, I beg of you to peruse the article again and this time, apply literary logic to it.
Re: Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 by Enquirer: 1:21am On Jul 12, 2009
she must have done it out of desperation. no help for single mothers unless their families chip in. no social welfare from govt.

she should have given her baby up for adoption instead selling her. apparently, the buyers did not have any bad intentions. they wanted to help a childless couple. that in no way lessens their culpability. they should have gone the adoption route instead.
Re: Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 by Nobody: 10:25am On Jul 12, 2009
Greedy bitch, She should be imprisoned.[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Mother Sells Daughter For N15,000 by fegflu: 10:36am On Jul 12, 2009
Indecency STAR, That ur name em,

also y r u interested in dis topic

(1) (Reply)

Soludo Speaks On Banking in Nigeria in the 21st Century / Medical Expert - Yar’adua Is Either Dead Or In Bad Shape / Jonathan’s Ambition Will Polarise Nigeria – Atiku !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.