Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,611 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:08 PM

The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). (2846 Views)

About Dog Fighting / Advise For Someone Who Wish To Go Into Dog Breeding Business. / Is Dog Breeding That Lucrative? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by GRACEGLORY: 10:41am On Feb 22, 2016
From my observation, people prefers female dogs to male dogs, because the females are the ones' that bears the puppies, grin. Even backyard breeders are negatively inspired at the sight or mention of female dogs.
But I discovered we never really think about it.
It's quite expensive getting 2 pedigree dogs (male and female) at once. It could be a cut throat in this part of the world. But I agree that both are necessary, but to me, one comes before the other when it comes to business.

And here's my quote to a nairalander:

Yeah! You know people always go one way without really thinking about the other way.
It takes 18-24 months for female dogs to be ready for breeding, and extra 63 days for the puppies to be birth, and 6-8 weeks to make healthy puppies. All = 2yrs and 6 months probably. While It takes just 10-12 months for the male dogs to be ready to make puppies, and 63 days for the pups to be ready, and you get your pups probably 16 moths later after the first purchase of the male dog. And if you're into stud service, your male can get you an average of 8-10 puppies before your female dogs get matured, depends on how many stud you are able to render. Note, people search for good male dogs like gold.
While It's not certain that your female will birth 4 puppies the first time.
And the female dog owners can't impregnate their birches by themselves.
So, they always end up begging the male owners when their birches are ready. They beg with money and promises of puppies (Any gender you want).
You don't beg with good male dogs, but good female dogs makes you makes you a beggar, especially when you can't afford the male along side.
More so, a Dam comes on heat twice a year though, but before then?
while the male can impregnate the ready females every 2-3 days.
I choose to be wise.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by chuksofficial: 11:08am On Feb 22, 2016
Yes u are correct.
Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by Nobody: 11:32am On Feb 22, 2016
True Talk bro. A brother is considering having several superb males of top demand breeds for stud services while having a few females too.
Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by chevkosticks(m): 11:36am On Feb 22, 2016
GRACEGLORY:

From my observation, people prefers female dogs to male dogs, because the females are the ones' that bears the puppies, grin. Even backyard breeders are negatively inspired at the sight or mention of female dogs.
But I discovered we never really think about it.
It's quite expensive getting 2 pedigree dogs (male and female) at once. It could be a cut throat in this part of the world. But I agree that both are necessary, but to me, one comes before the other when it comes to business.

And here's my quote to a nairalander:

Yeah! You know people always go one way without really thinking about the other way.
It takes 18-24 months for female dogs to be ready for breeding, and extra 63 days for the puppies to be birth, and 6-8 weeks to make healthy puppies. All = 2yrs and 6 months probably. While It takes just 10-12 months for the male dogs to be ready to make puppies, and 63 days for the pups to be ready, and you get your pups probably 16 moths later after the first purchase of the male dog. And if you're into stud service, your male can get you an average of 8-10 puppies before your female dogs get matured, depends on how many stud you are able to render. Note, people search for good male dogs like gold.
While It's not certain that your female will birth 4 puppies the first time.
And the female dog owners can't impregnate their birches by themselves.
So, they always end up begging the male owners when their birches are ready. They beg with money and promises of puppies (Any gender you want).
You don't beg with good male dogs, but good female dogs makes you makes you a beggar, especially when you can't afford the male along side.
More so, a Dam comes on heat once a year, while the male can impregnate the ready females every 2-3 days.
I choose to be wise.
I quote u wrong,a dam does not come on heat once a year bro,nt all..my female gsd litters 2times a year
Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by Stancrus(m): 11:45am On Feb 22, 2016
chevkosticks:
I quote u wrong,a dam does not come on heat once a year bro,nt all..my female gsd litters 2times a year
seconded
Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by GRACEGLORY: 11:51am On Feb 22, 2016
chevkosticks:

Yeah, I agree, I meant to correct that before the post.
Thanks
Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by GRACEGLORY: 11:55am On Feb 22, 2016
chevkosticks:

Meant to correct that before the post.
But that error doesn't defect the truth and the fact of the point I'm making.
Does it.
Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by GRACEGLORY: 11:56am On Feb 22, 2016
We see things differently though.
Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by GRACEGLORY: 7:34am On Feb 23, 2016
Bubewilson:
True Talk bro. A brother is considering having several superb males of top demand breeds for stud services while having a few females too.

Which is good you know.

1 Like

Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by GRACEGLORY: 7:37am On Feb 23, 2016
Dog Biz operators
Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by GRACEGLORY: 11:18am On Feb 23, 2016
Contributions will enlighten us more please
Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by pmadise(m): 11:49am On Feb 23, 2016
You're so on point...

Imagine, I've already turned down 3 guys that wants to use my 6 months CO for stud services. Cos he's only big but a puppy...
Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by promise2020(m): 11:42am On Feb 24, 2016
I have a good male GSD, going to 4 yrs Nw I hav not gotten any good female to cross it jst to have 1 puppy, and imagine if it was a female, bad as e bad by Nw I should hav gotten 1 male
Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by GRACEGLORY: 6:30pm On Feb 24, 2016
promise2020:
I have a good male GSD, going to 4 yrs Nw I hav not gotten any good female to cross it jst to have 1 puppy, and imagine if it was a female, bad as e bad by Nw I should hav gotten 1 male

Your case must be different, cos definitely, female Gsd owners couldn't b seek you out.
Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by GRACEGLORY: 6:31pm On Feb 24, 2016
More so, dogs shouldn't just be bred... It has to be with caution.
Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by LordRegalia: 10:25pm On Feb 24, 2016
To all those in favour of male dogs over females, have you ever thought about these; What if:-

1) Your male pup, after all the waiting for it to get mature, turns out to be sterile?

2) Your very good male stud gets infected with STDs and some other whatnot like TVT from some foreign bitch while offering stud services? Or even ticks?

3) Your stud is not even good enough and you find yourself begging to render stud services while still spending heavily on the male's upkeep?

4) Your stud clientele turn out to be lacking in scruples and integrity and never make good on their promises to deliver stud pups?

5) Bitches consistently reject your stud?

Yes, these things happen and they happen more often than you would believe.

And no, i am not necessarily in favour of bitches either. Each one has it's pros and cons. I guess at the end of the day, it all comes down to nature and luck being on your side.

2 Likes

Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by GRACEGLORY: 11:04pm On Feb 24, 2016
LordRegalia:
To all those in favour of male dogs over females, have you ever thought about these; What if:-

1) Your male pup, after all the waiting for it to get mature, turns out to be sterile?

2) Your very good male stud gets infected with STDs and some other whatnot like TVT from some foreign bitch while offering stud services? Or even ticks?

3) Your stud is not even good enough and you find yourself begging to render stud services while still spending heavily on the male's upkeep?

4) Your stud clientele turn out to be lacking in scruples and integrity and never make good on their promises to deliver stud pups?

5) Bitches consistently reject your stud?

Yes, these things happen and they happen more often than you would believe.

And no, i am not necessarily in favour of bitches either. Each one has it's pros and cons. I guess at the end of the day, it all comes down to nature and luck being on your side.

Sir, I agree with you too, nice considerations. Bravo!
But sir, there's no such thing as luck in business. In the business world, reason why some are excelling, and others are failing is simply cos they won't do there home work.
Whatever has to work has to be worked.
As a breeder, you take all that into consideration, and then, your dog's are armed to the teeth, and you won't render a service until the other dog is certified!
Serious business has to be done seriously.
For instance, I don't permit other dogs around mine let alone an extra mile without clinical procedure.

Note to all: Breeding isn't for everybody.
Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by LordRegalia: 11:48pm On Feb 24, 2016
GRACEGLORY:

Sir, I agree with you too, nice considerations. Bravo!
But sir, there's no such thing as luck in business. In the business world, reason why some are excelling, and others are failing is simply cos they won't do there home work.
Whatever has to work has to be worked.
As a breeder, you take all that into consideration, and then, your dog's are armed to the teeth, and you won't render a service until the other dog is certified!
Serious business has to be done seriously.
For instance, I don't permit other dogs around mine let alone an extra mile without clinical procedure.
Note to all: Breeding isn't for everybody.

Thank you GRACEGLORY for sharing your thoughts. A very interesting point of view.

But trust me, there is luck in business. In every business too. True every entrepreneur needs to be fully prepared and able to tackle the rigours of whatever business endeavour they choose to go into, but that can only get them so far. Luck, providence, good fortune, etc though not always a prerequisite or catalyst for good / successful business, could take them to heights that no amount of preparedness and hard work by the entrepreneur could hope to attain. That's why you hear statements like "Being in the right place at the right time", etc.

Let's look at luck in the dog breeding business for example. The mere fact that a bitch is able to whelp a minimum of 8 pups and a maximum of 14 is really nothing but good fortune. What if it so happens that the same bitch is consistently unable to whelp more than 2 or 3 pups, thereby leaving the owner unable to cover his expenses, let alone break even and make profits? There is no knowledge or magic or preparation the owner could possibly do to add a single stillborn pup (let alone live one) to the litter. That's nature and luck for you right there.

And using your own experience as another example. Yes it is wise to take good clinical / medical precautions before accepting to offer stud services for any given bitch. But suppose one so happens to offer stud services to a bitch with a contagious disease / condition that is still within the incubation or pre-incubation period, thereby going undiscovered during the clinical diagnostic procedures? Remember, these procedures most times are either generic looking for nothing in particular or at the very least specific to certain diseases, and therefore inadequate for others.

Numerous other examples could be cited, but for want of time, all of which very practical and possible. So, like i said it all comes down to nature and luck being on one's side.
Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by GRACEGLORY: 8:56am On Feb 25, 2016
LordRegalia:

Thank you GRACEGLORY for sharing your thoughts. A very interesting point of view.

But trust me, there is luck in business. In every business too. True every entrepreneur needs to be fully prepared and able to tackle the rigours of whatever business endeavour they choose to go into, but that can only get them so far. Luck, providence, good fortune, etc though not always a prerequisite or catalyst for good / successful business, could take them to heights that no amount of preparedness and hard work by the entrepreneur could hope to attain. That's why you hear statements like "Being in the right place at the right time", etc.

Let's look at luck in the dog breeding business for example. The mere fact that a bitch is able to whelp a minimum of 8 pups and a maximum of 14 is really nothing but good fortune. What if it so happens that the same bitch is consistently unable to whelp more than 2 or 3 pups, thereby leaving the owner unable to cover his expenses, let alone break even and make profits? There is no knowledge or magic or preparation the owner could possibly do to add a single stillborn pup (let alone live one) to the litter. That's nature and luck for you right there.

And using your own experience as another example. Yes it is wise to take good clinical / medical precautions before accepting to offer stud services for any given bitch. But suppose one so happens to offer stud services to a bitch with a contagious disease / condition that is still within the incubation or pre-incubation period, thereby going undiscovered during the clinical diagnostic procedures? Remember, these procedures most times are either generic looking for nothing in particular or at the very least specific to certain diseases, and therefore inadequate for others.

Numerous other examples could be cited, but for want of time, all of which very practical and possible. So, like i said it all comes down to nature and luck being on one's side.

I'd ask you this sir, do ruthless men have luck?
Re: The Truth We Never Knew About Dog Breeding (for Business Operators). by LordRegalia: 10:33am On Feb 25, 2016
GRACEGLORY:

I'd ask you this sir, do ruthless men have luck?

Yes. They are lucky no one has done to them what they do to others.

(1) (Reply)

My Adorable Jade / Husky Puppy For Sale / Annie And Chelsea Of Bobbysaxy Kennel Just Completed Their Mating...outstanding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.