Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names (12937 Views)

Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? / Guys, Would You Like Your Wife To Call You Daddy? / Guys, Do You Pray To Marry A Woman Like Your Mother? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by whiteroses(f): 12:40am On Jul 11, 2009
I have a friend dating this guy called Dominic they were on the bridge of becoming lovers and they couldnt keep things from each other anymore so turned out this guy's original name is sanjo and she was actually turned off by his name, and everything concerning him just din't appeal to her anymore and they finally broke up today. so made me think about how uncool our names can be sometimes. but some parent aswell just name their kids anyhow, new couple just had a baby and her name is prayer I dont know about you but geez i love to pray and it's good but naming a child one is just crossing the line when she starts school in this english community the name will raise few brows. i also remembered a woman where i used to live also had a child called jesu-gbeshumi (jesus swalloed satan) in this london shocked is this not a little over the top?
i now see a lot of people renaming themselves because their given names are just not cool enough for anybody to read or pronounce, a lot of people can't even put their full name on facebook lol. i dont know maybe nigerian names arent just cool or is it just individual parent
btw my friend wasn't turned off by him lieing about his name she just couldn't stand the word sanjo and since then she doentot think he is cool lol shallow maybe she is

1 Like

Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Nobody: 2:53am On Jul 11, 2009
are you serious?

someone named their child Jesu gbeshumi?

and is the sanjo short for Obasanjo?
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Nobody: 3:03am On Jul 11, 2009
tpia.:

someone named their child Jesu gbeshumi?
rotflmao cheesy cheesy bet the name is now "Jay" grin
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by ladykool(f): 3:08am On Jul 11, 2009
lmao
naija and their names: mirracle, goodluck,wisdom,power and many more
plsss let them just get used to the names or they judge ppl by name now
dont judge a book by its name o lol grin grin grin
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by sexyLeamon(f): 6:45am On Jul 11, 2009
that is so true man, what is it with nigerian names? undecided
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by sweetpie23: 12:04pm On Jul 11, 2009
African ingeneral, Nigerians are worse
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jul 11, 2009
Kini big deal?
Press fast-foward if it doesnt make your soup sweet.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by samesame(m): 12:20pm On Jul 11, 2009
not only nigerians,so caaled white people give their children strange names too like, stone, fish, page, sand, frost and there is a man with, tiger and woods as a full name. translate any of those into u native language and see how strange it sounds.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by samesame(m): 12:22pm On Jul 11, 2009
not only nigerians,so caaled white people give their children strange names too like, stone, fish, page, sand, frost and there is a man with, tiger and woods as a full name. translate any of those into u native language and see how strange it sounds.

1 Like

Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by otokx(m): 12:33pm On Jul 11, 2009
colonial mentality plus an advanced touch of inferiority complex.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by agabaI23(m): 12:49pm On Jul 11, 2009
Poster

I was tempted to abuse you but I will not.

When will we stop being dictated to by other people.

What makes those names not meaningful? because a white person does not like it? The English must appreciate it to be cool? You are guys better grow up. Can someone remind me the names of Beckham's children?

What is wrong with Sanjo? I am sure it has a meaning and even if it does not have it is unique.

Someone already talked about white people answering stone, fish, kettle

What about Rodriguez and other non english names? Should those people change their names because it does not sound English. Oh they are all cool as far as they are not African? How pathetic?
otokx:

colonial mentality plus an advanced touch of inferiority complex.
You cannot put it any better.

This guys should better grow up and discover their identity. i think it makes me sick. A lot of copying, accent copying and hatred of native accent to wearing of contact lens.

I mean we should copy when we wanna copy but not everything must be copied to the detriment of ones identity.

Anyway who cares. My parents did not give me any native name and i do not feel happy. I may take one soon!

1 Like

Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by shesi(m): 12:49pm On Jul 11, 2009
hahahaha, she called it off with the guy because his name was sanjo? hahahahaha, that is the most hilarious thing i've heard in a long time. seriously i'm still laughing as i type this.

lol, how did the guy take that? what does the sanjo mean anyway? does it have some repulsive meaning?

hahahaha, i would give anything to hear the conversation that transpired as the girl broke it off, LOL, i can't stop laughing.

that has to be the most fickle person ever. what is she 15?
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by maedan(f): 12:50pm On Jul 11, 2009
What's weird about naming ur child after a special day eg Saturday or Monday, or after a biblical quality like Hope, Charity or Success? Can it be as weird as what American celebrities are naming their innocent kids nowadays? It's a craze now and every one seems to want to outdo eachother. I looked it up, here are some for u to see for urselves:

Gwyneth Paltrow has a child called Apple undecided
Blue Angel named his dear offspring Audio Science embarassed
David& Victoria have kids named Brooklyn and Romeo
My own Toni Braxton named her kids Diezel Ky and Denim
Erykah Badu(kraze) named her pikin Seven Sirius(dis is really serious grin)
Finally, even main man Eddie Murphy is not to be left out by naming his beloved child Zola Ivy. So here I rest my case.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by shesi(m): 12:54pm On Jul 11, 2009
@agba123

i agree with what you were saying up until the part about copying accents.

my brother, there is nothing wrong with copying the englishman's accents o. it's their language not ours. so if we want to speak it, we should try to speak it the way they speak it. besides, the purpose of language is to communicate. so if you live in the UK and you insist on talking like you would in lagos, and nobody can understand you, then it's just a waste of time.

lol, also, what's ur beef with contact lenses? do you have something against medical technology advancement?
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by agabaI23(m): 12:59pm On Jul 11, 2009
maedan:

What's weird about naming ur child after a special day eg Saturday or Monday, or after a biblical quality like Hope, Charity or Success? Can it be as weird as what American celebrities are naming their innocent kids nowadays? It's a craze now and every one seems to want to outdo eachother. I looked it up, here are some for u to see for urselves:

Gwyneth Paltrow has a child called Apple undecided
Blue Angel named his dear offspring Audio Science embarassed
David& Victoria have kids named Brooklyn and Romeo
My own Toni Braxton named her kids Diezel Ky and Denim
Erykah Badu(kraze) named her pikin Seven Sirius(dis is really serious grin)
Finally, even main man Eddie Murphy is not to be left out by naming his beloved child Zola Ivy. So here I rest my case.
Thank you Sis!
shesi:

@agba123

i agree with what you were saying up until the part about copying accents.
my brother, there is nothing wrong with copying the englishman's accents o. it's their language not ours. so if we want to speak it, we should try to speak it the way they speak it. besides, the purpose of language is to communicate. so if you live in the UK and you insist on talking like you would in lagos, and nobody can understand you, then it's just a waste of time.
lol, also, what's ur beef with contact lenses? do you have something against medical technology advancement?
No what you should learn is how to pronounce the words correctly and how to construct good grammer not how to fake orgasm without achieveing your aim.
Why will you throw away your accent?
Have you heard an Italian or french speak English? Do they speak good English? Yes better than you do with the correct dictions. Do they change their accent to sound Enlish? NO, they do not. Why, you only need to understand them and that is achieved by speaking good English.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by agabaI23(m): 1:01pm On Jul 11, 2009
Shesi

Blue contact lenses is cosmetic and not medical my dear brother.
They use it to get blue eyes lol.

It is ridiculous to see blue eyes on a black man grin
Just like a blond black woman is . . . . .
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by whiteroses(f): 1:05pm On Jul 11, 2009
agabaI23:

Poster

I was tempted to abuse you but I will not.

When will we stop being dictated to by other people.

What makes those names not meaningful? because a white person does not like it? The English must appreciate it to be cool? You are guys better grow up. Can someone remind me the names of Beckham's children?

What is wrong with Sanjo? I am sure it has a meaning and even if it does not have it is unique.

Someone already talked about white people answering stone, fish, kettle

What about Rodriguez and other non english names?  Should those people change their names because it does not sound English. Oh they are all cool as far as they are  not African? How pathetic?You cannot put it any better.

This guys should better grow up and discover their identity. i think it makes me sick. A lot of copying, accent copying and hatred of native accent to wearing of contact lens.

I mean we should copy when we wanna copy but not everything must be copied to the detriment of ones identity.

Anyway who cares. My parents did not give me any native name and i do not feel happy. I may take one soon!
damn child calm down it's not that hard i'm just expressing my opinion and wondering why a lot of us have these names, those names you mention like rodrigo i'm sure they make sense same like someone called damilola is acceptable and okay but we are talking about names like jesu-gbeshumi, power and all the uneccesary names that originate from nigeria so before you take us to school mr agba123 get your facts right
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by shesi(m): 1:08pm On Jul 11, 2009
@abga123

ok, fair point about the accents but i still don't see it as an attempt to deny one's identity. no more so than living in the white man's country in the first place, lol,  when i speak french, i will try to modify my intonation to mimick a native french speaker. doesn't mean i'm trying to come off as french, no, i'm just trying to make ppl understand me better and quicker.

lol, abt the contacts, i quite like those colors. i think its just a fashion statement. like people getting colored braces. but it's a fair point you raise.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by DisGuy: 1:09pm On Jul 11, 2009
most names have a meaning to the parents but at the same time i think parents should give their kids some neutral names (can still have meaning) especially in a society where pronouncing names can turn to bulling in school
and adult wont see the big deal but trust me- this is where bullying and low self confidence in a child starts!
even the teachers wont be able to help
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by sley4life(m): 1:10pm On Jul 11, 2009
9ja stil try for names. U havnt tlkd abt the western countries where u hear any name like orange, berry, kettle, key,grape,crook,
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Kelvinj(m): 1:12pm On Jul 11, 2009
And so wat? Watz wrong wit our names. F**k any1 who complains.

1 Like

Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by whiteroses(f): 1:13pm On Jul 11, 2009
shesi:

hahahaha, she called it off with the guy because his name was sanjo? hahahahaha, that is the most hilarious thing i've heard in a long time. seriously i'm still laughing as i type this.

lol, how did the guy take that? what does the sanjo mean anyway? does it have some repulsive meaning?

hahahaha, i would give anything to hear the conversation that transpired as the girl broke it off, LOL, i can't stop laughing.

that has to be the most fickle person ever. what is she 15?
hehe it's omo sanjo it means our child made it worth it for us, maybe they were poor or lacking something for long and the child is the rock of their marraige lol but my friend hated that name lol btw she's 22
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by abhosts(m): 1:17pm On Jul 11, 2009
Sanjo should count himself lucky that your friend left him. With that mindset, she is obviously not right for anyone.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Dammyray(m): 1:19pm On Jul 11, 2009
KAI my own name na Gbodomi make ona kill ona self then white man ko purple man ni
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by whiteroses(f): 1:27pm On Jul 11, 2009
Dammy_ray:

KAI my own name na Gbodomi make ona kill ona self then white man ko purple man ni
i sthat a yoruba name lol or do you mean olugbodi aka gbodi lol just playing with you cheesy
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by agabaI23(m): 1:34pm On Jul 11, 2009
Whiteroses,
Does Stone make sense?
Does Fish make sense?

You are sure that Rodrigeuz will make sense but you don't know what sense it will make. You have already assumed that it will make sense without knowing.

You know the meaning of Sanjo and from your explanation you still think that it does not make sense?

Jesu-gbeshumi does not make sense to you also?

I hope you read maedan's post.
What sense does those names make? They permitted even without sense abi?
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jul 11, 2009
I must admit OP is daft to come up with such a thread. Stupid. You wanna be cool like your colonialist idols. People like you have paris Hilton and Sheryl Cole as role models. Oloshi.

Even the oyibo una dey worship have strange names.

Drinkwater
Forester
Bush. . .etc

Americans bear names like:

Lucky
Destiny
Fortune

Names that we bear too.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by whiteroses(f): 1:44pm On Jul 11, 2009
oh! agbaya123 get a life i tried to explain to you but you are a nada aren't you, when did i say sanjo doesn't make sense its my friends different story that i used to illustrate the thread, leave me the ffuck alone geez
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by whiteroses(f): 1:50pm On Jul 11, 2009
Gaggi:

Even the oyibo una dey worship have strange names.

Drinkwater
Forester
Bush. . .etc

Americans bear names like:

Lucky
Destiny
Fortune

i think destiny is cute kiss lol
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by agabaI23(m): 2:04pm On Jul 11, 2009
Whiteroses

So easy to start being aggressive when one cannot hold a discussion.

Why would you use your friends opinion to illustrate your point if you do not think she is right?

I have made my point, you can only choose to ignore it.

You like[b] Destiny[/b] but you castigate someone who answers Power. grin
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by ow11(m): 2:11pm On Jul 11, 2009
Poverty indeed does have no friend. . . . For some reason, names of Nigerian origin are not good enough but Denzel and Penelope are undecided

The Nigerians just hide their identity (names and accents) because their country is a giant ghetto run by men with rodent sized brains. It has nothing to do with eloquence as Americans from the south, Brummies, Scousers, INDIANS and Australian farmers do nothing to their accents but are still heard and understood by the people our dear Nigerians are biting tongues for. tongue
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by NIGboi(m): 2:26pm On Jul 11, 2009
@poster Ur frend was just looking for a way out. Dumb ass excuse. As for you, would please tell us your nigerian name. Can you tell of the meaning of blair,malbranque, connor etc. Those are" white" names. What about the spanish, portuguese and the rest of them names. Can you pronounce them?Do you know their meanings? And you don't complain. Sure some names are weird but don't tell me its because they are nigerian. Remember to tell us your native name.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

A Conversation Between The Wife And A Side Chic / Single Mother Looking For Love / My Wife Just Doesn't Want To Bond And Grow With Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.