Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,275 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

The Meaning Of Aguda - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Meaning Of Aguda (12236 Views)

What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? / The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom / Understanding The Meaning Of "Amen" And Why You Shouldn't Say "Amen" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Meaning Of Aguda by lawani: 9:19am On Feb 23, 2016
I have for long considered the implication of the Yoruba saying 'Aguda o je labe Geesi, ise owo mi ni mo nje' meaning 'The Aguda do not feed under the Geesi, I eat out of my own labour'

Geesi is the Yoruba word for the British and I have no idea how that word was arrived at to describe the British. The Portuguese are called Potogi, the French are called Faranse, all of which rhymes with their name.

Aguda is however a name borne by many Yoruba people, added to that, the Catholic church is referred to by the Yoruba as Ijo Aguda meaning 'The church of the Aguda'. There are now many claims as to the meaning of Aguda with some people saying the word refers to Brazillian returnees in Lagos who were Catholics but the saying I quoted above is not a Lagos saying and there is no reason for anyone to see Brazillian returnees as at par, equal to or competitors to the Geesi ie the British. It does not add up.

The meaning of a word can change over time if the elders who coined the word are no longer around to set people right. So in that light, I posit that Aguda was the Yoruba word for Germany or Deuschland as they call themselves. This is deductable from the fact that the Oyo empire was in control of the Togolaise and Beninoise coastline of the Atlantic ocean in the past before their decline. So they were trading with the Germans as well and Togo later became a German colony or outpost. The Germans were also trading in Nigeria before the Berlin conference. The British or Geesi arrived before the Germans and were known to the Yoruba before them but when the Germans or Aguda arrived, they would have shown themselves to be a different breed by being insurbodinate to the authourities of the British trading companies, deferring only to their own chain of command. I believe this is the origin of the saying 'Aguda o je labe Geesi'. As a reinforcement to this thesis, the early Catholic church missionaries to Yoruba land would have been more of Germans leading to the Catholic church being labelled 'Ijo Aguda' or 'Church of the Germans' as other missionaries from Protestant denominations like Anglican and Methodists were British or Geesi.

Though I was not there, I nevertheless believe this analysis until a better one is put forward.

6 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by Excelsior12(f): 4:15pm On Feb 24, 2016
welldone
Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by baby124: 12:12am On Feb 25, 2016
Aguda are Brazilian returnees of Yoruba origin. They are Lagosians.
Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by tpiar: 12:18am On Feb 25, 2016
It could be a corruption of akoda, just guessing here, could be wrong.
Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by OMOLEMONDAY(m): 9:53am On Feb 25, 2016
GOOD , NICE ONE
Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by vickolex: 4:17pm On Aug 06, 2019
I just stumbled on this now.
Great bro
Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by MetaPhysical: 8:15pm On Aug 08, 2019
Aguda is an original Yoruba word, lost but brought back..

Aguda was the designation for members of a congregation of a spirituality. It is applied specifically for a congregation of worshippers. It is my suspicion that Yorubaland exiled practitioners of a spirituality into slavery. They never lost their practice and in fact it became a mainstream culture in diaspora....where it was polluted and morphed into an admixture with catholicism. Whatever that spirituality was, its rituals and creeds were not too far off from catholicism, so their integration blended very harmoniously.

After freedom and return....the mainstream Yorubas observed their practices and instantly recognized it as the Aguda of old, You will notice that the returnees were not just catholics....there were methodists and anglicans and baptists. Except catholic which was singled out and called Aguda, all other sects were just known as kirio (Creole).

Now, we have a challenge. Before slavery who were the worshippers known as Aguda?

I think you opened a can of challenging worms when you inquire about Geesi. Have you also heard Yoruba call a person Amaro? Who are the Amaros?

Read up on Geez and Amharic.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by nlPoster: 11:07pm On Aug 08, 2019
Geesi is possibly a shortened form of English as an indigenized word.

Yoruba language generally doesn't allow two consonants together without a vowel between, so instead of saying "Ingilishi", "Geesi" might be an alternative.

Just my opinion, could be wrong.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by RZArecta2(m): 11:39pm On Aug 08, 2019
Aye cool I mis these scintillating Nairaland topics of old where you learned a lot while taking part in intellectual gymnastics
Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by Olu317(m): 3:59pm On Aug 12, 2019
In strong agreement do I accept the idea that the two names did existed before recoining of these names to suit the English and Returnees Yoruba Brazilians.

First,these two names do fit as having triliteral root, because Aguda and Geesi ; ‘G U D', and G I S' ~ ‘G IY S'. So, it is important to look beyond the attached sentiments to Yoruba Brazilians returnees as being the basis for the names since we know the ancient Yoruba are deeper in thoughts through their language development which are always descriptive in nature to identify anything,thus make them far more astounding than many of us in the modern world. Therefore,these words can be said to have multiple meaning which I intend to make a piece interpretation to each name,which is as follow:

1.Àgùdá

Ag u da

Agu~ one that stab

ùdà ~sword,cutlass

~ one who masters the usage of sword; swordman

2.Gẹ́ẹ́sí

Gẹ́ ~ sit comfortably on a seat

ẹ́ ~ it's/it

Sì~(adv.) slowly

(conj.) and, also,likewise

(,prep.)into,at,against

(pro.) who

(v.i) to be , exist

~ one who sit comfortably on a seat; lord, king,wealthy one, Noble, etc

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by lawani: 4:05pm On Aug 12, 2019
Olu317:
In strong agreement do I accept the idea that the two names did existed before recoining of these names to suit the English and Returnees Yoruba Brazilians.

First,these two names do fit as having triliteral root, because Aguda and Geesi ; ‘G U D', and G I S' ~ ‘G IY S'. So, it is important to look beyond the attached sentiments to Yoruba Brazilians returnees as being the basis for the names since we know the ancient Yoruba are deeper in thoughts through their language development which are always descriptive in nature to identify anything,thus make them far more astounding than many of us in the modern world. Therefore,these words can be said to have multiple meaning which I intend to make a piece interpretation to each name,which is as follow:

1.Àgùdá

Ag u da

Agu~ one that stab

ùdà ~sword,cutlass

~ one who masters the usage of sword; swordman

2.Gẹ́ẹ́sí

Gẹ́ ~ sit comfortably on a seat

ẹ́ ~ it's/it

Sì~(adv.) slowly

(conj.) and, also,likewise

(,prep.)into,at,against

(pro.) who

(v.i) to be , exist

~ one who sit comfortably on a seat; lord, king,wealthy one, Noble, etc

though I don't know the etymology of aguda or geesi but Yoruba language does not flow like you are making out.

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by Olu317(m): 7:14pm On Aug 12, 2019
lawani:
though I don't know the etymology of aguda or geesi but Yoruba language does not flow like you are making out.

Well,you are entitled to your opinion and I am a learner so therefore I can be flawed with more concrete view once such appears. However, Yoruba language in actual fact flow as I posited them because Yoruba words are always descriptive to achieve the targetted meaning. Trust me, I know these things so much because many of the words I had posted were actually word that came from 1911 Yoruba dictionary, which were part of the 1943-1944 dictionary rendered by Ajayi crowther. And I am sure you can access this and other Yoruba dictionaries.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by unicornguytunde: 12:45am On Sep 22, 2020
I have always wondered where the name/ word " Aguda" comes from ,its etymology and all , The black world and Africa in general has a deep and longer history in the Bible and in the world today than just slavery ,that the west want us believe .

Most People do not know that the word Negro is the name of a black Jew called Yahya Negro in the 1100's who lived in Portugal and also in Spain, He (Yahya Negro) was a descendant of the Bible King David of the Tribe of Judah. He also was a great man of war , His own descendants fled Europe to Africa,mainly to West Africa .

Please do a research of the above .

This is the African history , that the west and catholic church don't want you to know .
These descendants called themselves the children of the tribe of Judah . (Yahudawa ) an igbo word that translate to mean Jews ,These Black jews definitely spread among the African population and married and prospered , could it be that's how the Igbo's got their claim to be descendants of Jews came from?.
Could the Yoruba word" Aguda" also mean a tribe of Judah or refer to these black portugese that refused the roman catholic faith in europe and fled to Africa? .
The Yoruba's are legendary for their bastardization of foreign words ( no offense ).

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by RedboneSmith(m): 4:53am On Sep 22, 2020
The German theory has a very big hole in it. First of all, it is inconceivable that the Catholic church would be associated with Germans, because the Germans were predominantly Protestant (Lutheran), and not Catholic.

The meaning of Aguda is not far-fetched. It derives from the name of the Dahmomeyan port city of Whydah. The French called it Juda and the Portuguese called it Ajuda. It was from the Portuguese version that Aguda was derived. There were a lot of Brazilian traders settled in Whydah/Ajuda in the 18th and especially 19th century. In fact, many of the quarters in the city were founded by Brazilians. Francisco Felix de Souza was the most famous Brazilian settler-trader in Whydah. His influence there was so great he was regarded as the father of the city. So Whydah/Ajuda became so closely associated with Brazilians that in time, people coming from Brazil became known as Aguda among the Yoruba. Many of them passed through Whydah before arriving at Yoruba ports, like Lagos.

Geesi is also probably derived from the Portuguese word for English, which is Ingles.

6 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by click2faith91: 8:25am On Sep 26, 2021
I would like to shed more lights on the word Aguda.... Aguda is almost the same as Creole who was returned to West Africa after the abolition of Trans-Atlantic Slave trade by the British Royal Naval Forces and they were settled in present day Sierra Leone, most of them have Nigeria ancestral background. They were Christians and they help the British in introducing Christianity to Nigeria and the early church in West Africa was founded by them and they were educated at Fourah Bay College, Freetown Sierra Leone. Likes of them are Bishop Ajayi Crowther, The Ransome-Kuti Family, Cokers Family, Coles Family, Craigs Family, Shittas Family, Dehindes Fernandezs Family and Darochas Family etc. You can as well call them Afrosaxon
Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by Olu317(m): 11:02am On Sep 26, 2021
RedboneSmith:
The German theory has a very big hole in it. First of all, it is inconceivable that the Catholic church would be associated with Germans, because the Germans were predominantly Protestant (Lutheran), and not Catholic.

The meaning of Aguda is not far-fetched. It derives from the name of the Dahmomeyan port city of Whydah. The French called it Juda and the Portuguese called it Ajuda. It was from the Portuguese version that Aguda was derived. There were a lot of Brazilian traders settled in Whydah/Ajuda in the 18th and especially 19th century. In fact, many of the quarters in the city were founded by Brazilians. Francisco Felix de Souza was the most famous Brazilian settler-trader in Whydah. His influence there was so great he was regarded as the father of the city. So Whydah/Ajuda became so closely associated with Brazilians that in time, people coming from Brazil became known as Aguda among the Yoruba. Many of them passed through Whydah before arriving at Yoruba ports, like Lagos.

Geesi is also probably derived from the Portuguese word for English, which is Ingles.
Whydah,Ouidah is not Judah in Abomey Kingdom. Far from it

The place was a place where the ealier settlers known as Yoruba discovered snake and it was corrupted from oodéayé to Ouida.

A time came when the earlier settlers were driven from there by the later settlement whom were fongbe group. The Abomey groups.

Out of mischievous act do the Europeans thought the place was named Judah which is a tracking name for ancient Hebrew .

Meanwhile, the name of Judah is wrongly spelt because the first alphabet "J" is actually "Y" which falls within "y" and "ee" sound in English language after transliteration.

The Aguda has Pre Brazilian connection with Yorubas, though cognate may either be true or false. There are names borne by Yorubas before contact with newer groups,inwhich some names goes extinct except through invocation or panegyrics.
Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by macof(m): 11:27am On Sep 26, 2021
Olu317:
[s] Whydah,Ouidah is not Judah in Abomey Kingdom. Far from it

The place was a place where the ealier settlers known as Yoruba discovered snake and it was corrupted from oodéayé to Ouida.

A time came when the earlier settlers were driven from there by the later settlement whom were fongbe group. The Abomey groups.

Out of mischievous act do the Europeans thought the place was named Judah which is a tracking name for ancient Hebrew .

Meanwhile, the name of Judah is wrongly spelt because the first alphabet "J" is actually "Y" which falls within "y" and "ee" sound in English language after transliteration.

The Aguda has Pre Brazilian connection with Yorubas, though cognate may either be true or false. There are names borne by Yorubas before contact with newer groups,inwhich some names goes extinct except through invocation or panegyrics[/s].

Nobody said anything about Hebrew Judah
You see "The French called it Juda" and the next thing is to bring up the kingdom of Judah
Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by Olu317(m): 11:43am On Sep 26, 2021
macof:

Nobody said anything about Hebrew Judah
You see "The French called it Juda" and the next thing is to bring up the kingdom of Judah
Grow up and read books, my dear grin grin grin . So the OOdéayé, Whydah didnt bother you but Judah's part is your problem ? Anyway, read books again to know how the name came to be acquainted with fact.

One of the reason British colonialists, other inquisitive Europeans came was to find the fairytale Hebrews who ought be as white as snow. So part of coming to West Africa was to identify ancient Hebrew.

Well, do you want to read the Ifaodu which posit yoruba have white ancestors or gave birth to some white descendants ?

Paradventure, I am wrong, then I owe you a 4eyed kolanut. What will you give if I am right nkọ ? angry angry cheesy
Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by macof(m): 12:18pm On Sep 26, 2021
Olu317:
[s] Grow up and read books, my dear grin grin grin . So the OOdéayé, Whydah didnt bother you but Judah's part is your problem ? Anyway, read books again to know how the name came to be acquainted with fact.

One of the reason British colonialists, other inquisitive Europeans came was to find the fairytale Hebrews who ought be as white as snow. So part of coming to West Africa was to identify ancient Hebrew.

Well, do you want to read the Ifaodu which posit yoruba have white ancestors or gave birth to some white descendants ?

Paradventure, I am wrong, then I owe you a 4eyed kolanut. What will you give if I am right nkọ ? angry angry cheesy
[/s]
Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by Olu317(m): 3:14am On Sep 28, 2021
macof:

[s]Nobody said anything about Hebrew Judah
[/s] grin angry grin cheesy

Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by macof(m): 1:01pm On Sep 28, 2021
Olu317:
[/s] grin angry grin cheesy
. Olu you know its true grin
Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by Olu317(m): 1:00am On Sep 29, 2021
macof:
. Olu you know its true grin
What is true to you is false to me. Flow with the ancient while reinvigorating the new era with the advance knowledge of the gods.
Làà
Làá
gbàà
gbàá
wàà
wàá
Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by macof(m): 7:37am On Sep 29, 2021
Olu317:
What is true to you is false to me. Flow with the ancient while reinvigorating the new era with the advance knowledge of the gods.
Làà
Làá
gbàà
gbàá
wàà
wàá
Smh undecided
Ment
Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by rhektor(m): 7:51am On Sep 29, 2021
Olu317:
Làà
Làá
gbàà
gbàá
wàà
wàá

What does this mean?
Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by Olu317(m): 1:24pm On Sep 29, 2021
rhektor:

What does this mean?
Give genuine English transliteration and meaning. Solve the riddle. grin cheesy angry
Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by rhektor(m): 7:58pm On Sep 30, 2021
Olu317:
Give genuine English transliteration and meaning. Solve the riddle. grin cheesy angry
Transliteration or translation? grin

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by Olu317(m): 8:39pm On Sep 30, 2021
rhektor:

Transliteration or translation? grin
I thought you claim you have knowledge of both, since you argue without fact.

But I intentionally stated it when I know you have no knowledge of transliteration which was the reason I mock you with it grin cheesy. So whatever you deem fit,posits .

Meanwhile ọ̀rọ means word in another written book which is same as mine. Proof yours with either dictionary or written books, Mr. professor of diacritics

Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by macof(m): 2:22am On Oct 01, 2021
Olu317:

But I intentionally stated it when I know you have no knowledge of transliteration which was the reason I mock you with it grin cheesy. So whatever you deem fit,posits .

Meanwhile ọ̀rọ means word in another written book which is same as mine. Proof yours with either dictionary or written books, Mr. professor of diacritics

This is actually nonsense.

It is ọ̀rọ̀.
Do-do.

It seems you can't speak Yoruba? Because you ought to know both vowels are the same tone

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by Olu317(m): 6:37am On Oct 01, 2021
macof:

This is actually nonsense.

It is ọ̀rọ̀.
Do-do.

It seems you can't speak Yoruba? Because you ought to know both vowels are the same tone
do-do ni kan kọ̀ ni ó bá kọ́
o bá pè ni ọminmin ni grin grin cheesy cool

Professor macof of school of diacritics , do not teach me slidetackle Yorúbà or is it Yorúbá ? Please ride through the alternative route grin cheesy created for you.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by rhektor(m): 10:07am On Oct 03, 2021
Olu317:

What diacritics was on Ilorin? Otito? Wipe? Etc
You still haven't made any sense with this yiur gymnastics

Less I forget, you asked for transliteration and not translation lol grin
Like what the fvck is transliteration of words that were written in the alphabets that both of us are familiar with? Do you actually want the nonsense you wrote to be transcribed into Chinese or Arabic alphabets? Olu317 why do you always jump around whenever you are called out? Answer questions without changing topics, stop muddling things together

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by rhektor(m): 10:10am On Oct 03, 2021
Olu317:
do-do ni kan kọ̀ ni ó bá kọ́
o bá pè ni ọminmin ni grin grin cheesy cool

Professor macof of school of diacritics , do not teach me slidetackle Yorúbà or is it Yorúbá ? Please ride through the alternative route grin cheesy created for you.

The diacritics you placed on oro gave it as do - re

Which could mean to wither

You seriously ignorant about Yorùbá language, you speak/write like someone who only get info about the language on paper and not someone who actually speak the language.
Re: The Meaning Of Aguda by rhektor(m): 10:20am On Oct 03, 2021
Since you are so much interested in screenshots as proof of your ignorance, be my guest
Olu317:

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zulu Maidens Bare Breasts As They Prepare For Mini Reed Dance (photos) / The Oriki Of Omo Ede - What Is Your Oriki / Fulani/ Hausa Myths, Mythology And Legends

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.