Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,167 members, 7,953,623 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:02 PM

Why Salafiyyah? By Ustadh Umar Dada Paiko - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Salafiyyah? By Ustadh Umar Dada Paiko (2663 Views)

Role Of (islamic) Students Of Knowledge By Ustadh Sulayman Amubieya / Can You Take Benefit From Those Who Oppose Salafiyyah? / Why Was Ali's Compilation Of Quran Rejected And Abu Bakr And Umar Accepted?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Salafiyyah? By Ustadh Umar Dada Paiko by Newnas(m): 6:25pm On Feb 23, 2016
WHY SALAFIYYAH?

By Shaykh Umar Paiko Hafizahulahu from Niger State to the Annur Magazine of OAU Ile-Ife....

It is commonplace to hear Muslims worry over the salafiyyah concept. Is it another sect initiated via iblees's evil whisperings? Why is there a need for the salafiyyah movement/sect, if it is one, despite the existence of sunni movements like Ansaarul Islaam, Jamaa'atu Izaalatil Bid ah Wa Iqaamatis Sunnah et al.?

These are questions asked mostly by sunni activists particularly. Liberal Muslims-zanaadiqah (orientalists) and the Muslim mob simply brand the salafi an extremist, which, to them, results in or is synonymous with, terrorism!

The latter is the most ridiculous, misinformed/mischievous opinion I ever heard of salafiyyah.
To clarify the issues raised above, we need to examine the term SALAFIYYAH.

The term SALAFIYYAH is derived from the noun SALAF which doubles as a verb in past tense, which means "Ancestor(s), Forefather(s), forebear(s), grandfather(s), primogenitor(s), progenitor(s), ascendant(s), predecessor, precursor." Our Salaf are those through whom Islaam was passed to us-first being the sahaabah, concerning whom Allaah says:

"Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah, and those with him are severe on kuffaar, merciful between themselves. You see them bowed,prostrate, seeking bounties from their Lord and His pleasure..."

These should remain the reference point of any Muslim who didn't see the Prophet. Allaah says: "Was man yushaaqqiqir Rasoola min ba'di maa tabayyana lahul hudaa was yattabi' ghaira sabeelil Mu'mineen, nuwallihee maa tawallaa was nuswlihee jahannam was saa-at maseeraa"

From the verse above, it becomes clear that the path of the earliest Muslims-the sahaabah, our first generation salaf-is in conformity with the Prophet's path, disparity with whom leads one astray!
Salafiyyah reminds all sunni groups and organizations of Islaam's true source spring, in order to address the drift from the sunnah, occasioned by overzealousness or laxity on the part of some of their du'aat (callers). The Jamaa'atu Ahlis Sunnah Lid Da'wati Wall Jihaad claims to belong to the sunnah fold but fail to draw inspiration from our pious predecessors, chiefly the sahaabah, who existed under deviant, even oppressive leaders who contravened the sharee'ah on many instances but (the salaf) remained consistent in their allegiance though constantly but appropriately admonishing them when they erred.

Salafiyyah isn't a sect. It is a call. It isn't a mob action. It is a reawakening, not a misguided revolt. Salafiyyah cleanses the rust and disinfects the rot in the fabric of the bodies calling to sunnah. Salafiyyah is a compass. Salafiyyah is Islaam revisited!
Islaam is today plagued by inauthentic ahaadeeth, wicked fabrications against Rasool, alaihiSSALAAM, misrepresentations due to ignorance of text, leading to misfired repugnance from non Muslims, and innovations resulting from all of the above. A return to the Qur'aan and authentic sunnah is pertinent, especially with the understanding and their application by the salaf.

The understanding of the salaf is an interpretation of any sahaabee, taabi'ee, taabi'oot taabi'een or atbaa' of the Qur'aan and/or sunnah which isn't contradicted by the basic Islamic principles, or the consensus reached by a past generation of Muslim scholars on the guided path.
It is mischievous, for instance, for anyone to infer that individuals can declare others polytheists or apostate on the simple ground that AbduLLAAHI Bn Zubair purportedly declared Hajjaaj Bn Yoosuf apostate. We have to sum up the submissions of the other sahaabah to ascertain the pristine Islamic teaching on the subject.
There are four generations that constitute the creme de LA creme of our salaf : the companions, the generation after them, the one after and the fourth. The narration/reportage of hadeeth per transmission stops in those generations. Any generation after these will only record, assimilate and pass on what was reported by them. Whatever they agreed upon is LAW!

Our generation suffers a dearth of morality and depth of knowledge. Rasool, alaihiSSALAAM says: Verily Allaah does not seize knowledge (of the deen) by erasing it from memories of its bearers, He rather seizes it by taking the lives of the scholars, until He leaves no scholar alive, (ignorant) people will hold ignorant leaders as their scholars. They shall be asked and they shall respond ignorantly, stray and lead (their followers) astray"

It is very clear that since the demise of Abubakr, 'Umar, 'Uthmaan and 'Aliy, radiyAllaahu 'anhum, the ummah hasn't replaced them. This trend has continued in this retrogressive manner till this day. It is crystal clear that the hadeeth above applies more to this generation than to any before ours. It is therefore misleading to assume that the view of the majority is necessarily right.

Salafiyyah attaches importance only to that which conforms with the methodology of the salaf , not the majority in deviant generations.
Sects like ISIS, JASLDWJ (boko haram ), ASHSHABAAB and their likes which seek a return to sharee'ah without recourse to the light shone by our salaf who found themselves in similar situations are bedeviled by contradictions entrenched by their quackery. These aren't salafees!

2 Likes

Re: Why Salafiyyah? By Ustadh Umar Dada Paiko by Demmzy15(m): 11:57pm On Feb 23, 2016
Op your message is clear, what of people that term themselves "Salafi", does it make any sense? Are we not meant to call ourselves Muslims? Please don't get me wrong, I read books of scholars of salafiyyah like Ibn Taymiyyah(rah), AbdulQadir Gilani(rah), Imam Suyuti(rah), Ibn Jawzee(rah), Ibn Qayyim Al jawziyyah(rah), Muhammad Ibn Abdulwahab(rah), al Khateeb Al Baghdadi(rah), Al Fawzan(hf), Zaid Al Madakhali(hf), Rabee Al Madakhaki(hf), Saleh Suhaymin(hf), Imam Al Albani(rah), Imam bin Baz(rah), etc but is it a must you must term yourself "salafi"? I think Muslim is appropriate because this is what Allaah called us

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Salafiyyah? By Ustadh Umar Dada Paiko by Newnas(m): 6:15pm On Feb 24, 2016
Demmzy15:
Op your message is clear, what of people that term themselves "Salafi", does it make any sense? Are we not meant to call ourselves Muslims? Please don't get me wrong, I read books of scholars of salafiyyah like Ibn Taymiyyah(rah), AbdulQadir Gilani(rah), Imam Suyuti(rah), Ibn Jawzee(rah), Ibn Qayyim Al jawziyyah(rah), Muhammad Ibn Abdulwahab(rah), al Khateeb Al Baghdadi(rah), Al Fawzan(hf), Zaid Al Madakhali(hf), Rabee Al Madakhaki(hf), Saleh Suhaymin(hf), Imam Al Albani(rah), Imam bin Baz(rah), etc but is it a must you must term yourself "salafi"? I think Muslim is appropriate because this is what Allaah called us

Firstly; jazaakaLLaahu khayraa for your question and avarice for good.

Secondly, the different sects and divisions in Islam is known to all of us. However, the truth is one.
And the messenger alyhissolaat wassalaam said (....and my nation will divide into 73 sects all in hell except one. They said and who are the saved sect oh messenger. he alyhissolaat wassalaam said The one that is upon what me and my companions are upon).

All these sects also refer to themselves as Muslims therefore there is need to make distinction between the saved sect and the others.
This distinction is what led to names like ahlul Hadeeth, ahlu sunnah wal jamaa, in different eras over time depending on the deviations that showed up.

Example; ahlul Hadith was as a result of the deviation of sticking to scholarly opinions even when it was certain that it contradicted the Quran and sunnah. So the call then was for the people to return to the sunnah and not make scholarly opinions equal in rank to texts of Quran and sunnah. This does not mean that they told them to ignore the scholars but they told them to shun dogmatism.

The name ahlu sunnah was as a result of people sticking to other ways and believing that the sunnah of Allah's messenger alyhissolaat wassalaam is not binding or important. Then the tide shifted to the revival of a lot of 'dead' sunnah like the cutting of trousers, leaving the beards, eating with the right, early marriage, home schooling etc. And even some sunnah which the people saw as trivial such as licking the hands and plate after meal, the various adhkar for several activities, the use of chewing stick, walking barefoot once in a while etc.

Then when the problem of creating parties like ansaru deen, nasfat, TMC, and MSSN became a party, tabligh etc such that people loved and hated for the sake of party. They would shun any text of the Quran or Sunnah if it contradicted their goals as a party. In fact they made their call to parties and not the pure Islam and every party became as Allah says in suratul muuminoon (( then they divided their affairs (religion) into pieces, each party happy with what it had)) i.e each party chose only a part of the shariah and neglected a large part and they were contented with the little part they held on to. This may look harmless but it is a great undoing for any person or group of people to intentionally and stubbornly ignore any part of the shariah or term it as unimportant.
If you ask all these parties, they will say they follow the Quran and sunnah. but why do we then have these differences? Each person has given the verses and hadiths the interpretation that is not correct because of ignorance or to support a deviation he has.

The only way to purify the religion from these misguidance is that we return to the sunnah and understanding of the salaf.

The kind of understanding that made Allah and His messenger alyhissolaat wassalaam pleased with them and made them rule the world.

All these and many more reasons are why there was a need to call to the return of the Muslims to the way of the salaf i.e pious predecessors and practice Islam according to how they practiced it.

So if I ask you now, what type of Islam do you practice? The only correct reply is that "I follow the Quran and sunnah according to the interpretation of the righteous predecessors i.e salaf".

Repeating this might be difficult so summarize it in a word, the only way is to say I'm salafy.

Many people find problem with this term (i.e affiliating oneself to the salaf) but paradoxically they don't find problem at all in affiliating oneself to individuals such as saying I'm malikiyyah or Hanbaliyyah etc And even many more affiliate themselves to parties and groups which have no basis in the Quran and sunnah.

Then Salafiyyah is not a group rather it is a call and major indicator of this is that there is no Supreme authority in it except the Quran and sunnah according to the interpretation of the righteous predecessors i.e the companions and those who follow them.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Salafiyyah? By Ustadh Umar Dada Paiko by ArcBoB: 4:01pm On Feb 25, 2016
Alhamdulillah, Ana talibu salafiyyah...Jazakhumu lah khair op. May Allah make us steadfast on the deen. Ameen

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Salafiyyah? By Ustadh Umar Dada Paiko by Newnas(m): 4:30pm On Feb 25, 2016
ArcBoB:
Alhamdulillah, Ana talibu salafiyyah...Jazakhumu lah khair op. May Allah make us steadfast on the deen. Ameen

Aameen wa iyyaak
Re: Why Salafiyyah? By Ustadh Umar Dada Paiko by AbuHammaad: 6:39pm On Feb 28, 2016
Newnas:
WHY SALAFIYYAH?

By Shaykh Umar Paiko Hafizahulahu from Niger State to the Annur Magazine of OAU Ile-Ife....

It is commonplace to hear Muslims worry over the salafiyyah concept. Is it another sect initiated via iblees's evil whisperings? Why is there a need for the salafiyyah movement/sect, if it is one, despite the existence of sunni movements like Ansaarul Islaam, Jamaa'atu Izaalatil Bid ah Wa Iqaamatis Sunnah et al.?

These are questions asked mostly by sunni activists particularly. Liberal Muslims-zanaadiqah (orientalists) and the Muslim mob simply brand the salafi an extremist, which, to them, results in or is synonymous with, terrorism!

The latter is the most ridiculous, misinformed/mischievous opinion I ever heard of salafiyyah.
To clarify the issues raised above, we need to examine the term SALAFIYYAH.

The term SALAFIYYAH is derived from the noun SALAF which doubles as a verb in past tense, which means "Ancestor(s), Forefather(s), forebear(s), grandfather(s), primogenitor(s), progenitor(s), ascendant(s), predecessor, precursor." Our Salaf are those through whom Islaam was passed to us-first being the sahaabah, concerning whom Allaah says:

"Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah, and those with him are severe on kuffaar, merciful between themselves. You see them bowed,prostrate, seeking bounties from their Lord and His pleasure..."

These should remain the reference point of any Muslim who didn't see the Prophet. Allaah says: "Was man yushaaqqiqir Rasoola min ba'di maa tabayyana lahul hudaa was yattabi' ghaira sabeelil Mu'mineen, nuwallihee maa tawallaa was nuswlihee jahannam was saa-at maseeraa"

From the verse above, it becomes clear that the path of the earliest Muslims-the sahaabah, our first generation salaf-is in conformity with the Prophet's path, disparity with whom leads one astray!
Salafiyyah reminds all sunni groups and organizations of Islaam's true source spring, in order to address the drift from the sunnah, occasioned by overzealousness or laxity on the part of some of their du'aat (callers). The Jamaa'atu Ahlis Sunnah Lid Da'wati Wall Jihaad claims to belong to the sunnah fold but fail to draw inspiration from our pious predecessors, chiefly the sahaabah, who existed under deviant, even oppressive leaders who contravened the sharee'ah on many instances but (the salaf) remained consistent in their allegiance though constantly but appropriately admonishing them when they erred.

Salafiyyah isn't a sect. It is a call. It isn't a mob action. It is a reawakening, not a misguided revolt. Salafiyyah cleanses the rust and disinfects the rot in the fabric of the bodies calling to sunnah. Salafiyyah is a compass. Salafiyyah is Islaam revisited!
Islaam is today plagued by inauthentic ahaadeeth, wicked fabrications against Rasool, alaihiSSALAAM, misrepresentations due to ignorance of text, leading to misfired repugnance from non Muslims, and innovations resulting from all of the above. A return to the Qur'aan and authentic sunnah is pertinent, especially with the understanding and their application by the salaf.

The understanding of the salaf is an interpretation of any sahaabee, taabi'ee, taabi'oot taabi'een or atbaa' of the Qur'aan and/or sunnah which isn't contradicted by the basic Islamic principles, or the consensus reached by a past generation of Muslim scholars on the guided path.
It is mischievous, for instance, for anyone to infer that individuals can declare others polytheists or apostate on the simple ground that AbduLLAAHI Bn Zubair purportedly declared Hajjaaj Bn Yoosuf apostate. We have to sum up the submissions of the other sahaabah to ascertain the pristine Islamic teaching on the subject.
There are four generations that constitute the creme de LA creme of our salaf : the companions, the generation after them, the one after and the fourth. The narration/reportage of hadeeth per transmission stops in those generations. Any generation after these will only record, assimilate and pass on what was reported by them. Whatever they agreed upon is LAW!

Our generation suffers a dearth of morality and depth of knowledge. Rasool, alaihiSSALAAM says: Verily Allaah does not seize knowledge (of the deen) by erasing it from memories of its bearers, He rather seizes it by taking the lives of the scholars, until He leaves no scholar alive, (ignorant) people will hold ignorant leaders as their scholars. They shall be asked and they shall respond ignorantly, stray and lead (their followers) astray"

It is very clear that since the demise of Abubakr, 'Umar, 'Uthmaan and 'Aliy, radiyAllaahu 'anhum, the ummah hasn't replaced them. This trend has continued in this retrogressive manner till this day. It is crystal clear that the hadeeth above applies more to this generation than to any before ours. It is therefore misleading to assume that the view of the majority is necessarily right.

Salafiyyah attaches importance only to that which conforms with the methodology of the salaf , not the majority in deviant generations.
Sects like ISIS, JASLDWJ (boko haram ), ASHSHABAAB and their likes which seek a return to sharee'ah without recourse to the light shone by our salaf who found themselves in similar situations are bedeviled by contradictions entrenched by their quackery. These aren't salafees!

Beautiful!

2 Likes

Re: Why Salafiyyah? By Ustadh Umar Dada Paiko by AbuHammaad: 6:42pm On Feb 28, 2016
For those who'll like to listen to Ustaz Umar Paiko's lectures, you can find a lot of them on DawahNigeria
Re: Why Salafiyyah? By Ustadh Umar Dada Paiko by AbuHammaad: 6:44pm On Feb 28, 2016
Demmzy15:

I have a video by Mahir Al Qahtani concerning this question.Please give me some minutes to dig it out

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Salafiyyah? By Ustadh Umar Dada Paiko by AbuHammaad: 6:51pm On Feb 28, 2016
Demmzy15 unfortunately I was unable to find Shaykh Mahir's video. I thought I had it in my google drive.I'd prefered Shaykh mahir's own because it covered both the term "Salafi" and "Salafiyyah" but these are very good options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe_8UmoELZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uyWHf5FJ_M

http://www.abukhadeejah.com/the-label-salafi-and-who-they-are-by-ibn-taymiyyah-ibn-abdul-wahhaab-ibn-baaz-al-albaanee-and-ibn-uthaimeen/

https://shaykhalbani./2010/12/09/calling-oneself-a-salafi/
Re: Why Salafiyyah? By Ustadh Umar Dada Paiko by Demmzy15(m): 7:24pm On Feb 28, 2016
AbuHammaad:
Demmzy15 unfortunately I was unable to find Shaykh Mahir's video. I thought I had it in my google drive.I'd prefered Shaykh mahir's own because it covered both the term "Salafi" and "Salafiyyah" but these are very good options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe_8UmoELZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uyWHf5FJ_M

http://www.abukhadeejah.com/the-label-salafi-and-who-they-are-by-ibn-taymiyyah-ibn-abdul-wahhaab-ibn-baaz-al-albaanee-and-ibn-uthaimeen/

https://shaykhalbani./2010/12/09/calling-oneself-a-salafi/
Jazaka Allaah kayran Akhi, will check it out when free.

1 Like

Re: Why Salafiyyah? By Ustadh Umar Dada Paiko by Newnas(m): 4:10pm On Feb 29, 2016
in shaa Allah I will give appropriate response and explanations when I am less busy.
Re: Why Salafiyyah? By Ustadh Umar Dada Paiko by Newnas(m): 12:56am On Mar 06, 2016
the fatwa is actually a refutation against the partisans because,

The sheikh refuted the one who names himself salafiyy to divide the Muslims. This is the same way the many groups in Nigeria divide the Muslims.

The refutation is not intended at the one who associates himself to the salaf i.e pious predecessors. This is because if you don't associate yourself to the salaf (pious predecessors) who else would you attribute yourselves to?!

What clarifies this my explanation is that the sheikh even declares the path of the salaf as the right way in his book kitabul ilm.

And even his Wikipedia page testifies to it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Othimen.jpg
Re: Why Salafiyyah? By Ustadh Umar Dada Paiko by EweduAfonja(f): 9:36am On Apr 14, 2017
I visited a Muslim family During one of there festive season...

The kind meat wey chop that day Eeeeeeh...

As I finish the man give me 10k make we go drink else where cuz him no give is beer...

I come dey consider to Join them for their mosque Ooooo....

(1) (Reply)

Virginity In Islam / Should Muslims Pray 3 Times (qur'an 2:238) A Day Instead Of Five? / Kuwaiti Shi'ite Sheikh Praises Temporary Marriage For A Handful Of Dates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.