Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:43 AM

How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person (1149 Views)

I Don't Want To Marry A Christian Or Religious Person. / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Pls Help! I'm In A Religious Dilemma (I Don't Know Where I Stand Religious Wise) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by Okworigeorge(m): 9:10am On Feb 25, 2016
For the record... I'm not an Atheist, neither am I a religious bigot. I've always lived by a code, "live as if there is a God and if there is no God, you have nothing to lose but if there is, you have everything to gain". Yes, i'm an Agnostic.
I was reminiscing about my ordeal some weeks ago, when I was asked to pray in a function (hehehe... no be me be baba devil o. So yes, I can pray but I don't, except maybe when purge hold me for public. lol). I did the prayer though, that's if you consider talking to yourself praying but watching the others being so focused, I asked myself if I can ever be that devoted again.
Since all religion is centered around faith; believing in the supernatural, to believe the unreal or unproven without doubt. Then, if you find it difficult to believe that the gadget you are holding now can turn to bread with some voodoo, you can't actually call yourself a religious person (christain/muslim). Considering that Atheism deals with reality, it's cozy to say Atheist lack faith. Meaning, it's their lack of faith that makes them who they are.
Atheist = lack of faith = not believing the supernatural = non-religious =no God.
As a friend once said, "they all want us to change but fails to tell us how" can an Atheist become a religious person?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by johnydon22(m): 10:42am On Feb 25, 2016
Yes... you said it here that "Atheism means lack of faith as a basis of belief" so if an atheist wants to become religious again its quite simple.. "he should findFaith and grasp unto it"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by Okworigeorge(m): 11:44am On Feb 25, 2016
johnydon22:
Yes... you said it here that "Atheism means lack of faith as a basis of belief" so if an atheist wants to become religious again its quite simple.. "he should find Faith and grasp unto it"
undecided I like the way u make it look so easy but we talking about a person that deals with facts, only things that he/she can see/prove. So how does he go about grasping unto that faith as u said
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by johnydon22(m): 11:46am On Feb 25, 2016
Okworigeorge:
undecided I like the way u make it look so easy but we talking about a person that deals with facts, only things that he/she can see/prove. So how does he go about grasping unto that faith as u said
If you want to deal with facts then evidently there will never be a room for blind faith, if you want to deal in faiths then you need to pay no mind to the facts.

they are parallel lines

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by Weah96: 12:16pm On Feb 25, 2016
Okworigeorge:

Well, by making material the claims in the Bible. What I mean is that, if the ridiculous claims and promises in the Bible can be demonstrated without a fault, then atheists would have no leg on which to stand. At the moment, Christians cannot prove that mountains move or that dead men buried weeks ago can be resurrected.

They only seem to be capable of retrospectively predicting plane crashes on the internet. The plane crash prediction games don't help.

1 Like

Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by ifenes(m): 12:26pm On Feb 25, 2016
Perhaps at gun point. Otherwise it is 90% impossible

2 Likes

Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by Okworigeorge(m): 12:39pm On Feb 25, 2016
johnydon22:

If you want to deal with facts then evidently there will never be a room for blind faith,if you want to deal in faiths then you need to pay no mind to the facts.

[b]they are parallel lines
[/b]
you just stated clearly that, an Atheist can never be religious cos religion is all about blind faith...?
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by Okworigeorge(m): 12:44pm On Feb 25, 2016
ifenes:
Perhaps at gun point. Otherwise it is 90% impossible
lmao. even at gun point I doubt if he will truly change
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by Nobody: 4:53pm On Feb 25, 2016
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by wordcat(m): 7:10pm On Feb 25, 2016
What has been seen cannot be unseen.

There's no way an Atheist( I mean an Atheist in every sense of the word, not someone who rejected god due to hardship) can be religious no matter what

1 Like

Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by Okworigeorge(m): 7:46pm On Feb 25, 2016
wordcat:
What has been seen cannot be unseen.

There's no way an Atheist( I mean an Atheist in every sense of the word, not someone who rejected god due to hardship) can be religious no matter what
exactly my thought... but they keep preaching about accepting God, how can u accept something u not even sure exist?
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by wordcat(m): 9:39pm On Feb 25, 2016
Okworigeorge:
exactly my thought... but they keep preaching about accepting God, how can u accept something u not even sure exist?

Reading the Bible and the other Crime book from the religion of peace with open mind is enough to make one an Atheist
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by lilliesboy(m): 12:55am On Feb 26, 2016
Try to change Prof. Wole Soyinka first, then after come to me and I will change. You want to know how to change an atheist? Keep asking.
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by mumumugu(m): 4:06am On Feb 26, 2016
Put rosary round your neck shocked
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by Okworigeorge(m): 9:24am On Feb 26, 2016
mumumugu:
Put rosary round your neck shocked

grin grin grin grin
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by Zodiac61(m): 10:10am On Feb 27, 2016
Why would an atheist want to do something stupid like becoming religious?
Why would anyone want to leave rationality for the irrational?
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by CoolUsername: 10:40am On Feb 27, 2016
I think that depends on the reason for becoming an atheist, rather than just embracing rational thought, some people become atheist through bad experiences, disillusionment from their previous faith, indoctrination, maybe a rebellious phase, or even because they may think that the cool kids are doing it.

I believe that if a person's atheism is based mostly on emotional reasons then it may be possible to convert them by pandering to their emotions. Of course, this is a very manipulative and despicable thing to do but it's possible.

1 Like

Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by Okworigeorge(m): 6:32pm On Feb 28, 2016
CoolUsername:
I think that depends on the reason for becoming an atheist, rather than just embracing rational thought, some people become atheist through bad experiences, disillusionment from their previous faith, indoctrination, maybe a rebellious phase, or even because they may think that the cool kids are doing it.

I believe that if a person's atheism is based mostly on emotional reasons then it may be possible to convert them by pandering to their emotions. Of course, this is a very manipulative and despicable thing to do but it's possible.
Sorry but u didn't answer the question?
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by CoolUsername: 7:08pm On Feb 28, 2016
Okworigeorge:
Sorry but u didn't answer the question?
Refer to the 2nd paragraph.
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by Okworigeorge(m): 7:57am On Dec 11, 2016
CoolUsername:

Refer to the 2nd paragraph.
u onLy stated that its possible not how
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by Auki: 8:57am On Dec 11, 2016
Just two steps I believe are worth doing in your circumstance.

1. Pray to Him(whoever is He) who created you to guide you.

2. Read all the holy books, you can grab, including Qur'an with open mind toward the truth.
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by orisa37: 12:25pm On Dec 11, 2016
Christians and other Religious bodies keep telling Atheists to know God but Atheists won't listen. It's like the story of the Rich man and Lazarus. So lecturing Atheists to know God will be futile game until The God they're reluctant to know visits their Consciences.
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by Okworigeorge(m): 12:36pm On Dec 11, 2016
[s]
Auki:

2. Read all the holy books, you can grab, including Qur'an with open mind toward the truth.

[/s]
1. An Atheist doesn't believe anyone created him, so he aint gonna pray.

2. Read all the holy books...seriously?
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by EyeHateGod: 12:36pm On Dec 11, 2016
Auki:

This, Got my Attention...

1. You mean We should pray to Nature?

2. How many have you read?
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by randomperson: 12:44pm On Dec 11, 2016
johnydon22:
Yes... you said it here that "Atheism means lack of faith as a basis of belief" so if an atheist wants to become religious again its quite simple.. "he should findFaith and grasp unto it"
Faith in what exactly?... Because that's the same type of faith suicide bombers have
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by Auki: 2:31pm On Dec 11, 2016
Okworigeorge:
[s][/s]
1. An Atheist doesn't believe anyone created him, so he aint gonna pray.

2. Read all the holy books...seriously?

I premised my advice on two basic assumptions.

1. You are an agnostic not an atheist.

2. You are honestly seeking the truth.

If my premise failed, then my advice is of no use.

Thanks God, we are only accountable to our actions. Wishing you best in life.
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by Okworigeorge(m): 3:56pm On Dec 11, 2016
Auki:

I premised my advice on two basic assumptions.

1. You are an agnostic not an atheist.

2. You are honestly seeking the truth.

If my premise failed, then my advice is of no use.

Thanks God, we are only accountable to our actions. Wishing you best in life.
my question was centered on atheist not agnosticism
Re: How Can An Atheist Become A Religious Person by Okworigeorge(m): 1:03pm On Apr 09, 2017
Agnosticism and Atheism is the same thing

(1) (Reply)

12 Ways Nairaland Can Be Compared With Heaven And Earth / Was Abraham And Other Old Prophets Christians? / Meet RANIERO CANTALAMESSA; Preacher To Holy Father, The POPE.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.