Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,228 members, 7,815,293 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham (1194 Views)

David Beckham Retires From Football / Piers Morgan Disses David Beckham, Michael Owen Over PSG Salary To Charity / Is Walcott, The New Beckham, Henry Or Flash In The Pan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham by RuuDie(m): 5:40pm On Jul 12, 2009
What do you think about the war of words going on between this 2 soccer stars. . . . . was Donovan right to launch a public assault on Becks
Re: L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham by RuuDie(m): 5:44pm On Jul 12, 2009
England midfielder David Beckham has criticised the "unprofessional" conduct of Los Angeles Galaxy team-mate Landon Donovan after the USA star publicly suggested he had shown a lack of commitment to the club and the MLS.

Beckham has returned to the Galaxy after a five-month loan at Italian giants AC Milan and is seeking showdown talks with Donovan over the comments made in his book; 'The Beckham Experiment'.

"It's unprofessional," Beckham blasted on his return to the USA. "In 17 years, I have played with the biggest teams in the world and the biggest players and not once been criticised for my professionalism."

Donovan claimed the former England captain was a poor leader and that his interest in Major League Soccer had faded, despite being paid 'more than double anybody in the league'.

Beckham responded by saying: "In every football player's eyes throughout the world it would be unprofessional to speak out about a team-mate, especially in the press and not to your face.

"It's important to get this cleared up, and I will be speaking to Landon either this evening or over the next couple of days."

Being in Italy helped Beckham keep his game sharp. And even though it involved a month-long saga of negotiations involving MLS, Milan, and the Galaxy, Beckham said it was for the best.

He also said he would do it again in 2010 if given the opportunity, so he can make one last World Cup appearance with England.

"To be involved in the World Cup and to be involved with this England squad, I have to give myself the chance to be at that top level. I'll do that personally and anything to do that. It's just saying that for the moment, this is what I need to do. It doesn't mean I'm running away from a project I believe in."

"I think the experiences I've had can only help this team," Beckham said.

"I'm personally very professional when I am on the field. I don't care what people say about me off the field, once I'm on the field I'm professional and if there is a chance for him to score, I will be giving him the ball. Me and Landon will talk, but that will be a private conversation."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=660369&sec=global&cc=5901
Re: L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham by RuuDie(m): 5:54pm On Jul 12, 2009
Such honesty is not out of character for Donovan, someone known as a stand-up sort who has called out himself and teammates in the past for subpar performance. He's one of the best in the sport about providing thoughtful answers to media queries -- as opposed to regurgitating bromides and truisms. Sometimes the truth stings, but Donovan has always been willing to deliver it.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=659791&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

hmmmmm
Re: L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham by Tudor6(f): 10:56am On Jul 13, 2009
Donovan is an idiot and a bastard gold digger!
If he truely wanted to be honest why did he have to write a book "The Beckham Experiment" ? Whats wrong in just giving interviews to the media?
He wants to create hype for the book and make a quick buck. The truth is DAVID BECKHAM SELLS and donovan is just trying to cash in using "honest criticism" as an excuse. Screw the f.ucking gringo!
Re: L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham by Ibime(m): 11:04am On Jul 13, 2009
Tudór:

If he truely wanted to be honest why did he have to write a book "The Beckham Experiment" ? Whats wrong in just giving interviews to the media?
He wants to create hype for the book and make a quick buck. The truth is DAVID BECKHAM SELLS and donovan is just trying to cash in using "honest criticism" as an excuse. Screw the f.ucking gringo!

Donovan is correct. . . . the only man at LA Galaxy with a strong enough profile to criticise Beckham. . . . if you see the way Beckham has been stroliing during LA games, you would puke. . . . the amount of chances conceded due to Beckhams failure to close down his opponents should be three or four chances a game. Beckham is obviously de-motivated at LA and needs to find his way back to Europe ASAP cos he is just embarassing himself there.
Re: L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham by RuuDie(m): 11:13am On Jul 13, 2009
Tudór:

take am easy. . . . . Donovan didn't actually write the book, he was only quoted in the book!
Re: L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham by tayoccu(m): 11:22am On Jul 13, 2009
Ibime:

Donovan is correct. . . . the only man at LA Galaxy with a strong enough profile to criticise Beckham. . . . if you see the way Beckham has been stroliing during LA games, you would puke. . . . the amount of chances conceded due to Beckhams failure to close down his opponents should be three or four chances a game. Beckham is obviously de-motivated at LA and needs to find his way back to Europe ASAP cos he is just embarassing himself there.

true, becks played like his "balls" were weighing him down,he was a lousy role model to the young ones, so i agree with Donovan.

Tudór:

guy, let's call a spade a spade, becks sucked @ galaxy.
put yourself in donovan's shoes,wouldn't you be pissed?
you giving your all week in week out for the club, and this english twerp is busy posing for pictures during the match.
if I were donovan i'd do more than write a book.
Re: L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham by Tudor6(f): 11:34am On Jul 13, 2009
Ibime:

Even though he's correct does he have to take advantage and make a quick buck?? His motives are not genuine so this pours cold water on any case he might have coz he's doing it for the mon£y!
All these rubbish about him caring for the MLS is arrant nonsense.
Re: L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham by DisGuy: 11:52am On Jul 13, 2009
totally unprofessional, how many times have you heard players or even coaches criticizing one particular player?
if he is not playing well or spoiling their game why is the coach putting him on?
its very obvious everybody/club wants to make money off the beckham name!
if they dont want him they can sell him or offload him
there are several TOP RELEVANT FOOTBALL teams that will buy him and pay him good money!
Re: L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham by JeSoul(f): 3:04pm On Jul 13, 2009
Donovan was wrong to critisize Beckham publicy - even though his criticism is absolutely on point. It's obvious Beckham came here for the money and now would rather stay in Europe.

As a side - the MLS is probably thrilled with all this 'controversy' . . . anything that puts soccer on the front page in America is good news to them.
Re: L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham by RuuDie(m): 1:07pm On Jul 14, 2009
Haba Donovan didn't write the book. . . . anyways, they seem to have patched it up now; lets see if Becks actually repents and improves on the field of play or are we g'onna hear another tirade from the All-American Super-hero!?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/14072009/3/beckham-donovan-settle-squabble.html
Re: L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham by RuuDie(m): 1:12pm On Jul 14, 2009
but i wonder sha, why the outrage over Donovan's public remarks. . . . probably nobody would have listenened to him in the locker rooms since no one had the guts to speak up!?
what's wrong with publicly lamblasting your colleagues; seems to work wonders in really shaking and making em sit up somehow!?
Re: L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham by RuuDie(m): 6:47pm On Jul 14, 2009
Disappointingly, it seems the public war of words between David Beckham and London Donovan has come to a close.

At every stage, both players have been at pains to say that such matters should be discussed man-to-man, before promptly continuing their bickering match through the press.

Donovan: "Maybe he's not a leader, maybe he's not a captain. Fair enough. But at a minimum, you should bust your ass every day. That hasn't happened. And I don't think that's too much for us to expect. Especially when he's brought all this on us."

Beckham: "In every player's eyes throughout the world it would be unprofessional to speak out about a team-mate, especially in the press, and not to your face."

Donovan: "I'm not going to apologise for the way I felt. What I feel badly about is that I should have been a man and told David how I felt as opposed to telling a reporter."

Beckham: "It's over. I'm not going to talk about what was said. That's between me, Landon and the manager. But it's finished. It's over. So we move on."
Re: L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham by FBS: 6:43am On Jul 15, 2009
and to think you opened a thread for this? psssf! tongue grin
Re: L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham by RuuDie(m): 10:38am On Jul 15, 2009
FBS:

and to think you opened a thread for this? psssf! tongue grin

Na needle u been wan make i open grin grin
Re: L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham by FBS: 10:43am On Jul 15, 2009
RuuDie:

Na needle u been wan make i open grin grin
grin grin grin
no, you for open sewing machine. tongue grin
Re: L. Donovan Vs D. Beckham by RuuDie(m): 11:52am On Jul 15, 2009
FBS:

grin grin grin
no, you for open sewing machine. tongue grin

ehn. . . . u don kuku turn me to matthew taylor abi grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Inter Milan Attacker Now Plaits Hair. / Thierry Henry To Miss Nigeria Vs France’s Match / Robin Van Persie Says He's A Fan Of P-square's Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.