Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,415 members, 7,812,224 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:19 AM

The Modus Operandi Of The Nigerian Police: Right Or Wrong? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Modus Operandi Of The Nigerian Police: Right Or Wrong? (613 Views)

Baifra Ipob Modus Operandi Have Changed They Won't Be Peaceful Again / Buhari As The Minister Of Petroleum - Constitutionally Right Or Wrong? / Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Modus Operandi Of The Nigerian Police: Right Or Wrong? by DesChyko: 8:27pm On Feb 27, 2016
An incident I witnessed today prompted me to open this thread, so that fellow citizens who are in the force or have knowledge of how things are done by the law should put us aright.

At about 3pm today, 27th of February, 2016, I went into a convinence store in Okokomaiko bus stop in Lagos to get some personals. As I was stepping into the store, an Igbo man was leaving also, exchanging pleasantries with the owner of the store as he left. It wasn't up to two minutes that we began to hear a row building up outside.
There was the man who just left the store being dragged and manhandled by policemen and forced to enter a small yellow bus; the type used by commercial drivers plying Alaba International route. The policemen, led by one that isn't wearing his full uniform, were ordering him into the vehicle in loud voices but he resisted vehemently. He kept asking 'Where are you taking me to?' and 'What did I do?' but got no response whatsoever from the officers. His refusal to accede their instructions earned him more brutality.
It was until the owner of the store intervened, and told him in Igbo Language, that he should go with them that the man finally relented and went into the vehicle (obviously, he knew where one or all of the policemen were operating or could be found). Then the policemen drove off.

I tried to put myself in the man's shoes and I discovered I would do the same because of fear of the unknown.

1. I didn't know where I was being taken. Even the reason(s) for the arrest doesn't matter as much as the destination.

2. Even if I did, how would my whereabouts be traced eventually if no one close to me knows where I was taken? I won't kid myself into believing Nigeria has a central database where all arrests are being logged in by the minute and can be accessed from any Police Station. If I'm gone, I'm gone.

So these are my questions:

1. The way the arrest(s) is(are) being made, is that the proper way?

2. If it is, what makes it proper? Are there certain reasons or conditions?

3. If it isn't proper, how do I make my rights and privileges known in a way that I wouldn't be accused of breaching the law?

Please, I would like enough publicity on this so that seasoned men and women in the field can sort us out.

Cc: Lalasticlala , Obinoscopy
Re: The Modus Operandi Of The Nigerian Police: Right Or Wrong? by Last2comment(m): 8:30pm On Feb 27, 2016
Ill trained and Ill equipped black on black mofos.
When them see real armed robbers na run them go run.
Re: The Modus Operandi Of The Nigerian Police: Right Or Wrong? by BeeBeeOoh(m): 8:33pm On Feb 27, 2016
Those people are Beast's In Black that's why I don pity them whenever the is turned the other way round for them..
Re: The Modus Operandi Of The Nigerian Police: Right Or Wrong? by Owoloku1: 8:53pm On Feb 27, 2016
I don't think we have policemen or policewomen in Nigeria...what we have are touts in black uniforms
Re: The Modus Operandi Of The Nigerian Police: Right Or Wrong? by Eleniyan15: 8:54pm On Feb 27, 2016
if em go follow try shit wif me for okoko abi lasu gate or any fvking place..em go no say rugged different from smellos.

awon werey..bdb

1 Like

Re: The Modus Operandi Of The Nigerian Police: Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Feb 27, 2016
Zoo country

(1) (Reply)

Ex-nigerian Minister Abba Moro To Be Docked Monday For Allegedly Duping Job Seek / 10,000 Traffic Cameras To Be Installed In Lagos. / Watch VP Osinbajo sing worship songs in his office to celebrate Birthday. Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.