Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,008 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

OAU students express concern about increased sickness - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU students express concern about increased sickness (15345 Views)

Unizik Students Express Shock As A 3 Storey Building Collapsed At Ifite (photos) / Bed Bugs Invade OAU Students' Mattresses In Hostel (Pictures) / Two OAU Students Die In Less Than 24 Hours (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

OAU students express concern about increased sickness by odutolasodiq(m): 2:03pm On Feb 28, 2016
Copied n pasted!

ALERT! ALERT!! ALERT!!!

This is to inform the general society of Obafemi Awolowo University and by extension the whole community of Ile-Ife of the outbreak of the new unknown, fierce, slowly killing disease.
Report has it that this disease has been diagnosed to be caused by a virus, but non of the lab scientists has been able to pinpoint the virus.

Dr Ilesanmi, the resident doctor of health centre said. . .

" The virus observed by our lab scientist is neither similar in structure nor function to any of the viruses ever known. In the past five days we've admitted 75 patients with similar cases, though our infrastructural facilities failed us to manage the large number. 65 of these patients are female while just ten are male, so we are guessing that this disease is gender sensitive.

We implore the whole of OAU students and staffs as a whole to please bear with us, as we are working towards better services, as far as this deadly disease is concerned. The symptoms includes: headache, stomach ache, body weakness, irritation, fever, vomiting (in some cases), sore throat, loss of appetite. Though we don't know the preventions yet, but we believe that by proper hygiene, we can reduce the spread of the disease. . ."

It is recommended that during this period, we have our bath at least twice a day, if not thrice, wash our hands with soap and water, and keep our food properly.

We pray that God saves OAU from this deadly disease. Send this message to all your friends in OAU and Ile-Ife, you might be saving a life.

Students of one of Nigeria’s oldest universities, Obafemi Awolowo University, OAU, have expressed concern about increased cases of illness among students.

A visit to the institution’s largest student hostel, Awolowo Hall, showed that many of the rooms had at least one student who had fallen ill. One of the rooms, which has 8 occupants, had five of them already fall ill this past week.

An average of five students stay in a room in the hostel officially although the figure is often up to a dozen due to the shortage of student accommodation.

The increased cases of illness has been attributed to the ‘harsh’ weather conditions while some students have attributed it to poor sanitary conditions of the hostels.

Some students also alleged that they were given expired drugs at the institutions health centre when they visited after they fell ill.

One of the students who just recovered from his illness, Adebayo Benjamin, said, “I was feeling dizzy, vomited , had high temperature and headache , I have not felt this way before.”

Another student, Abiodun of Management and Accounting department, said his illness prevented him from preparing for the university’s examination which begins early March.

A visit to the health centre of the institution also showed that an average of three doctors attended to the scores of students who thronged the hospital.

Some of the symptoms complained of by students include high temperature, vomiting, dizziness, stomach ache and headache.

One of the doctors on duty attributed the increased illness to the harsh weather and lack of rest by students. Other health workers, who confirmed the increase in number of students appearing at the centre, however. said the situations in the hostel may have made the conditions worse. The hospital’s Chief Medical Director was not on seat and could not be reached on phone.

Already, the university’s Association of Campus Journalists, ACJ, has blamed the hostel conditions for the illness.

“The drainages at the back of our hostels have not been cleaned for about one month thereby breeding mosquitoes that have spread the strange virus,” Omole Isaac, the ACJ spokesperson said in a statement. “Our advise to students is to keep their rooms clean as we have not witnessed this kind of development before.”

Some of the students, however, blamed their colleagues for the poor sanitary conditions of the hostels.

“The way hostel facilities are used by students can be annoying, little precautions need be taken although this strange fever is not controllable,” a student, Samuel Olatunde, said,

Another student, Awe Peter, asked the university management to ensure proper cleaning of the hostels.

The spokesperson of the university, Olanrewaju Abiodun, however allayed the students fears.

“There is no strange fever in Obafemi Awolowo University,” he told PREMIUM TIMES. “Most of these allegations are unfounded. In fact I have visited hostels and I saw students watching football. Are these the sick students? We have over thirty five thousand students in Obafemi Awolowo university and if some microscopic few are sick then why such panic.”

Mr. Abiodun hinted that some of the students might be stressed due to preparations for upcoming examination in the school.

“The Chief Medical Director has even said there is no strange virus in Obafemi Awolowo University. We are having normal examination tension, so all is well,” he said.

The University Joint Christian Mission, UJCM, has fixed Monday for special prayers against the “strange” fever.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/ssouth-west/199250-oau-students-express-concern-increased-sickness.html
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by Nobody: 2:05pm On Feb 28, 2016
End Time virus.....but wait ooo....I hope say witches and wizards no dey ontop OAU matter so?......no b the school whey just resume academic activity after their protest ?

4 Likes

Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by decatalyst(m): 2:07pm On Feb 28, 2016
OAU
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by bettercreature(m): 2:08pm On Feb 28, 2016
It sounds like typhold,Useless school with the most useless academic calender

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by nanauju(f): 2:09pm On Feb 28, 2016
Hope no casualty though
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by nzeobi(m): 2:09pm On Feb 28, 2016
Another disease
God I cover myself and that of my family,friends and nairalanders with the blood of jesus christ.

20 Likes

Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by McCarlito(m): 2:15pm On Feb 28, 2016
The information is not complete.....
Who knows if the victims contacted it through sexual intercourse.... Cos I doubt its through air angry angry angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by odutolasodiq(m): 2:17pm On Feb 28, 2016
nanauju:
Hope no casualty though
not yet, but we pray it doesn't go out of control!
# concernedalumnus
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by stevecantrell: 2:18pm On Feb 28, 2016
bettercreature:

Lolz ! So S.typhi is now a mystery virus ?

I don't think they can be that useless..
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by bettercreature(m): 2:31pm On Feb 28, 2016
stevecantrell:

Lolz ! So S.typhi is now a mystery virus ?

I don't think they can be that useless..
It happened in the past where typhold infected hundreds of OAU students and killed some,They actually know the disease they are just hiding it
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by Jabioro: 2:39pm On Feb 28, 2016
I used the blanket of God to covered my children in school and myself IJN.. what disease ? iku pa eta loju ran Ewo !
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by stevecantrell: 2:42pm On Feb 28, 2016
bettercreature:
It happened in the past where typhold infected hundreds of OAU students and killed some,They actually know the disease they are just hiding it

If true, then its a disgrace for a university campus and teaching hospital.

Typhoid is very avoidable and treatable.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by Slapsticker: 2:48pm On Feb 28, 2016
I remember those Awo and ETF days, the water sometimes will be whitish, and later turn coloured. Great Ife! all na wash. I hope for a solution in time though, I still have some good looking junior ones there abeg.

1 Like

Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by nanauju(f): 2:55pm On Feb 28, 2016
odutolasodiq:
not yet, but we pray it doesn't go out of control!
# concernedalumnus
It's well
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by tmtech: 6:18pm On Feb 28, 2016
am not surprised.. d hostels environment is inhabitable
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by llnstech(m): 6:27pm On Feb 28, 2016
With the help of God we will survive, however, we must all learn to be patriotic citizens of our dear nation. let's keep our surroundings clean, we don't need the government to keep our environment clean, neither do we need money, because in the end it is the careless masses that will suffer it. Nigerians let's be wise.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by odutolasodiq(m): 7:52pm On Feb 28, 2016
nanauju:
It's well
its well oh! my sister
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by flightz(f): 8:30pm On Feb 28, 2016
bettercreature:
why won't you hate, when you are too dumb to make 200 in her post utme. Dumb head. You had better face your poly programme squarely. Olodo

9 Likes

Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by Nobody: 8:35pm On Feb 28, 2016
My Alma, peace of God upon you... amen

1 Like

Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by uniqueren(f): 8:41pm On Feb 28, 2016
flightz:
why won't you hate, when you are too dumb to make 200 in her post utme. Dumb head. You had better face your poly programme squarely. Olodo

Ah ah easy
Na real life quarrel u carry enter here

2 Likes

Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by abumeinben(m): 9:54pm On Feb 28, 2016
This is good.....good

Let the made-in-Nigeria research begin.

We got this!

If the story is true though.
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by Sunnycliff(m): 10:04pm On Feb 28, 2016
In lasisi69 voice END TIME!!
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by thamoswonder: 10:05pm On Feb 28, 2016
What are the symptoms?
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by mulattoclaro(m): 10:06pm On Feb 28, 2016
Is this not the overhyped oau people are talking about? Seriously, these people from the West lack proper hygiene.
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by comradee1248: 10:06pm On Feb 28, 2016
na all dos omoyeebos dey cause am
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by otokx(m): 10:08pm On Feb 28, 2016
Jabioro:
I used the blanket of God to covered my children in school and myself IJN.. what disease ? iku pa eta loju ran Ewo !

Just move them off campus, the sanitary conditions in most public university hostels are a wonder even unto pigs.

1 Like

Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by nepapole(m): 10:10pm On Feb 28, 2016
flightz:

Iya ti binu..

1 Like

Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by virus05(m): 10:22pm On Feb 28, 2016
grin
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by Nobody: 10:28pm On Feb 28, 2016
May they come up with solution soon
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by Babafaros(m): 10:29pm On Feb 28, 2016
#OutbreakinOAU already trending on twitter... check out the trends &see facts
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by sheylarhh(m): 10:30pm On Feb 28, 2016
flightz:

Haba!...Take it easy nah
Re: OAU students express concern about increased sickness by Bluezy13(m): 10:33pm On Feb 28, 2016
“The Chief Medical Director has even said there is no strange virus in Obafemi Awolowo University. We are having normal examination tension, so all is well,” he said. The University Joint Christian Mission, UJCM, has fixed Monday for special prayers against the “strange” fever."

Prayer when cleanliness is next to godliness? I'll prefer prayer against examination tension

(1) (2) (Reply)

80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test / NUT Shuts Down Public Schools In Abuja / 2016/2017 Uniben Direct Entry Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.