Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,233 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police (1909 Views)

Aisha’s BBC Interview – She Got It All Wrong, My Respect For PMB Just Soars / World Female Leaders Wear Veil, It Is A Sign Of Respect For Religion And Custom / PDP Calls For Patriotism….urges Respect For President Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by onismate: 4:15am On Mar 01, 2016
The Nigerian Army and police force are there to protect the state and its citizens. Many have complained that the two security agencies are fond of assaulting innocent civilians. It is quite true. But as a serving corp member, I have come to realize some few things about the Nigerian police force and the Nigerian Army, there relationship with Corp members and their respect for them.

I love the two Nigerian agencies of the Army and police force. But as a corper, from my experiences, I seems to prefer the Nigerian military than the police in terms of the way they treat corpers. Am saying it from couple of experiences I have had with these two agencies.

I could remember couple of times I had been stranded on the highway in the state and place of primary assignment (PPA). I waited and when the Nigerian police car was passing by, I waved for them to stop and see if they can carry me, but, lai-lai. They never stopped. They just zoomed off, even with my corper uniform, them no even fit stop. But when the Nigerian Army was driving by with their car, I just waved just once for them to stop. Immediately they slowed down and stopped. They carried me immediately to a safe place where I was able to get a car to my destination.

Another scenario occurred when I was travelling. The driver of the motorcycle that carried me stopped and said he was no longer going towards my direction due to security reasons. Na so I just dey in the middle of nowhere. A car that was passing by which had police men inside, I waved if they could stop and help but dem no stop at all, even with my NYSC crested shirt. But thank God that at my front was a military check point. One of the army men sighted me from afar and waved me to come over. I came and he asked why I was there and were I was going. I told him. This soldier began stopping cars going towards my direction. Finally we got one which is a private car, and I entered. He wrote down the number plate of the car, collected the driver’s phone number and mine. He said I should get in contact with him once I get to my destination. And did same when I got to my destination.

Another scenario occurred one particular morning when I was on my way to community development service (CDS) in rumuokoro in Port Harcourt. The roundabout junction was congested. For those of us familiar with Port Harcourt city. There is no traffic light. Some kids were going to school, nobody was interested to stop cars for some moments so the school kids can cross. I didn’t just know what came over me, I just left where I was and went to the roundabout and raised my right hand up to stop the car coming from the left. Thank God I was wearing NYSC uniform. As I raised my hand up to the left, the cars coming stopped. I turned to the right. Funny enough the car coming was a Nigerian Army car carrying soldiers with guns. At first I was scared of stopping them but I summoned the courage and raised my hand and they stopped. I turned to the other junction to stop the cars coming from that direction so to make way for the school kids to cross the road. As I raised my hand up for the cars to stop, the driver was proving stubborn. He tried to smuggle his way. Na so the three of the soldiers came down from the car and asked the man to stop, and that if he moves, he would be dealt with. He stopped. Immediately I saw what was going on, chaiii, I was so happy. It looked as if I was flying high and was untop of the world. I held the cars till the school kids crossed before the army moved. They (Army) saluted me as they were leaving. Other cars moved till I saw a police van coming from another direction. I tried stopping them so they won’t disorganize the movements, they didn’t even listen. Infact the one in the front seat asked me to get out of the way. Trust Nigerians nah. Na so I comot and they passed and as they were passing, other cars behind them followed thereby disorganizing movements. Na so another gridlock start. Na so I waka leave them comot for there.

With all these, I feel the Army loves and respects corpers than the Nigerian police. Am not saying this for us to bash the Nigerian police but for them to learn. My Local Government of PPA is a great place though with high rate of kidnapping and fighting. Some corpers were kidnapped there last year and indigenes are being kidnapped regularly. But na Baba God they protect us. Nigerian soldiers are more in numbers with their check points more than Nigerian police. So they are not taking chances. Anything relating to corpers, they try to make us safe no matter what it takes. But the Nigerian police will just drive pass us. Them no care.

Shout out to Nigerian Army, even the soldiers in far north east fighting insurgency. Shout out to the Nigerian police force too.

http://www.hovabuzz.com/frontline/1104-a-corper-s-personal-experience-that-made-me-prefer-nigerian-army-to-police

4 Likes

Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by Blingblings(m): 4:51am On Mar 01, 2016
until army slap u, u go know sey police na ur friend

3 Likes

Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by Gmajor(m): 4:54am On Mar 01, 2016
op, the duty of the Nigerian police does not include giving free ride to stranded civilians so as far as am concerned you have no case

2 Likes

Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by poshestmina(f): 5:08am On Mar 01, 2016
I prefer Nigeria Army to Police
They are jovial most times and some are cute too kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by bewla(m): 5:25am On Mar 01, 2016
mofos
Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by skademzy(m): 5:34am On Mar 01, 2016
@op. Why on earth should you seek help from a policeman? Want them to convert you to a criminal in detention ready to be freed? Anyway. As much as I trust the nigerian army for average professionalism. I will rather seek help from a criminal than seek same from a nigerian police officer.

6 Likes

Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by jay2pee(m): 6:36am On Mar 01, 2016
I am also a serving corper and I respect the soldiers a lot compared to the police.
There was a day I was travelling, our car had a problem in the highway. Everyone came down and was looking for any possible alternative. I was wearing my NYSC cap. About three different police vans passed by but none cared to stop, even at the sight of our helpless waving. But as one army van was passing, they stopped, sighting that I am a corper, they used my influence to carry the six of us to a safer place where we can board another car to our destination.
Another incident took place at the army checkpoint, our driver drove the wrong lane, the soldiers stopped him and told him to start doing frug jump. As he was doing it, I summoned courage and walked to the soldiers (although without my uniform), begged them to pity the driver and showed them my ID card. They released the driver for my sake and all the passengers respected me for that.
There was another day I boarded a taxi to warri, I never knew that where I begged the driver to stop was the wrong place to park. The driver refused but I insisted, assuring him that as a corper, police will not prosecute him. He was caught by the police, I begged and begged but the police turned deaf ears to my plead until I saw a soldier from a distance. He saw my uniform on me and came along to inquire about the matter. Finally, he ordered the release of the driver, reminding the police that I am a PARA MILITARY.
The soldiers have really given me lift in so many occasions and I love and respect them a lot for that.
Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by ibnzubair(m): 6:47am On Mar 01, 2016
Uhm.... why do I have to choose between the two?

I think being nice is more of a personal thing
Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by iwadobo: 6:55am On Mar 01, 2016
Lalasticala pls. Front page
Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by jay2pee(m): 6:56am On Mar 01, 2016
Gmajor:
op, the duty of the Nigerian police does not include giving free ride to stranded civilians so as far as am concerned you have no case
The last time I checked, a serving Corp Member is not a civilian, but a PARA MILITARY, and deserves help from any force in times of need

1 Like

Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by Histrings08(m): 7:45am On Mar 01, 2016
Pfft
Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by tellwisdom: 7:48am On Mar 01, 2016
You are looking for a free transportation?? Very soon you will be looking for free food in the name of corper. Foolish boi sad

2 Likes

Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by heffem(m): 8:01am On Mar 01, 2016
So u still they compare Naija soldiers with naija Police? So u supos know say naija police brain black just the way their uniforms dirty na.. Naija soldiers go thru rigorous trainings and are more disciplined, but naija men-in-black? Ba'abu
Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by Adonis3: 8:04am On Mar 01, 2016
wow wow woooow!

This is really nice to hear

Never knew the Army could be this nice

#Adonis3HasSopken
Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by onuwaje(m): 8:26am On Mar 01, 2016
As a corps member after my three weeks orientation course i hold the nigerian army in high esteem. They respect corps members, they see us as one of their own.

National salute to the NIGERIAN ARMY!!

1 Like

Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by ckmayoca: 10:09am On Mar 01, 2016
tellwisdom:
You are looking for a free transportation?? Very soon you will be looking for free food in the name of corper. Foolish boi sad

Didirin spotted.
Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by tellwisdom: 10:14am On Mar 01, 2016
ckmayoca:

Didirin spotted.

Poor beggar like you. Dey find free lift. Anuofia jati jati angry

1 Like

Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by diportivo: 10:27am On Mar 01, 2016
If u were old enuff during the military era,u go know say soldier sef no be ur friend

U sef,always stranded....

Na wa o

angry

2 Likes

Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by ckmayoca: 11:58am On Mar 01, 2016
tellwisdom:

Poor beggar like you. Dey find free lift. Anuofia jati jati angry

Lol... lift? I drive me. anu ohia.
Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by iheanyi40(m): 12:07pm On Mar 01, 2016
ckmayoca:

lol forget dt dude, nigga is a clown

1 Like

Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by SLIDEwaxie(m): 12:11pm On Mar 01, 2016
I doubt if u will ever want to remove your NYSC 'created vest'
Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by tellwisdom: 12:18pm On Mar 01, 2016
ckmayoca:

You are foolish. Gather the children in your compound and lie to them.
Re: The experiences i had that made me lose respect for Nigerian police by ckmayoca: 12:32pm On Mar 01, 2016
tellwisdom:

You are foolish. Gather the children in your compound and lie to them.

Ok let's do it this way... if I do it shall not be well with, but if I don't it shall be well with u more than everyone around you.

(1) (Reply)

Ifeanyi Ubah Offers To Become Gov. Obiano’s Campaign Manager For Second Term / Resumption Date For Primary & Secondary Schools In Abuja / Difference Between America And Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.