Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,459 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals (4942 Views)

Exploration Of Oil Begins In North East Nigeria (Photos) / Southeast State Had Left 5 Southwest States And Rapidly Catching Up On Lagos. / List Of Agencies And Departments Under Fayemi, As A Minister Of Solid Minerals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by aresa: 2:11pm On Mar 02, 2016

[b]In a move to plug the shortfall in federal allocation which has rendered many state governments incapacitated, the six states in Southwest Nigeria have commenced cooperation on exploration of solid minerals in the region.

Representatives of the states gathered at the Cocoa House, Ibadan yesterday to develop a model on how best to explore the several solid minerals in their states to generate revenue, create employment and create more wealth for the people of the region.

They gathered on the platform of the Development Agenda for Western Nigeria (DAWN) Commission which organized the roundtable.

Analyzing the solid mineral deposits across the region and how best to explore them for the development of the region, the facilitator, Prof. Gbenga Okunlola, identified at least, 10 mineral deposits of commercial value which the region can explore.

The several mineral deposits, according to Okunlola include gold, tar sand, glass sand, construction sand, clay, oil and gas, limestone, granite, phosphate, gypsum, bitumen and silimanite. Others are dimension stone, gemstone, marble, aquamarine, tantalic, feldspar, tourmaline, emerald, quartz, syenite and topaz.

In his presentation entitled: “Strategic Engagement Document for Repositioning the Solid Minerals Sector in South West Nigeria,” Okunlola, who is a professor of Geology at the University of Ibadan, urged the region to develop a model to explore the minerals with a view to repositioning Southwest for self-sustenance.

He identified obstacles to the idea to include lack of funding, lack of clear-cut optimization model, misplacement and underutilization of capacity and lack of regional cooperation.

But he challenged the state governments to embrace regional model of intervention. If undertaken, Okunlola pointed out that the move will translate to establishment of exploration and mining companies, enable government enter into joint ventures with miners, adding that it will allow states share the risks and achieve better results.

The expert urged states to look away from the clamour for amendment of the solid minerals law to enable states acquire licence, saying only regional cooperation and stability are needed in the sector to attract investors into the sector for regional development.

The Director General of the commission, Mr Dipo Famakinwa, said the effort has become pertinent in view of the dwindling oil revenue.

He said: “We really don’t have a choice than to continue to see how we can move together to optimize the resources within our region. But the political will and the required coalition to move on and many of those things need to be put together[/b].”

http://thenationonlineng.net/southwest-states-begin-exploration-of-solid-minerals/

3 Likes

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by crestedaguiyi: 2:14pm On Mar 02, 2016
Mtchew, they have not began, they are only making plans which is what this administration know best .plan without action

6 Likes

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by Arch1: 2:27pm On Mar 02, 2016
crestedaguiyi:
Mtchew, they have not began, they are only making plans which is what this administration know best .plan without action
I am sure you are can read properly. I charge you to read the article once again. DAWN commission is not a political party neither is it a government on its own. It is a Yoruba regional organization just like the: ACF, Ohaneze, and if you like, IPOB.
Drawing developmental blue prints for the region is an excellent idea that should be applauded. Other regional organizations should emulate DAWN instead of crying about marginalization; blowing up piplines; issuing irrelevant ultimatums; threatning secession etc etc

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by aresa: 2:27pm On Mar 02, 2016
crestedaguiyi:

crestedaguiyi:
Jonathan is light years ahead of BUhari in many things.

APC is yet to congratulate Dickson, that is not the spirit of sportsmanship

Buhari is yet to obey any court order but APC puppets expect tompolo to obey court orders.

anybody can die because of Buharis ambition but Jonathan clearly proved that his ambition is not worth the blood of anybody.

Under Jonathan no Nigerian went on self exile but in 8 months under Buhari, many are on exile including dikko. muazu and others.

Under Jonathan EFCC did not hound anybody as they were instructed to finish their investigation before arresting and charging people to court but under Buhari, EFCC are arresting people before carrying out investigation.

Buhari has never won an award that is well known but Jonathan is wining awards every now and then including yesterday

^^^^^^^^^ Typical IPoD and village wailer ramblings...

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by crestedaguiyi: 2:28pm On Mar 02, 2016
aresa:
m

^^^^^^^^^ Typical IPoD and village wailer ramblings...

Zombie, did I lie.

Planning to do a thing and actually doing it are 2 different things .

6 Likes

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by Tunami(m): 2:30pm On Mar 02, 2016
bad news for the IP0DS.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by Arch1: 2:32pm On Mar 02, 2016
May God continue to bless Dipo Famakinwa and his crew. What the West need, more that anything else is regional autonomy.

13 Likes

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by aresa: 2:50pm On Mar 02, 2016
crestedaguiyi:

Zombie, did I lie.

Olodo IPoD zombie calling other people zombie. Have you looked in the mirror lately?

You did not lie because you did exactly what wailers and village IPoDs do, you show up with your idiotic and unintelligent ipod nonsense..

And what are they doing in your villages? Nothing.

Useless people..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by crestedaguiyi: 2:56pm On Mar 02, 2016
aresa:

Olodo IPoD zombie calling other people zombie. Have you looked in the mirror lately?

You did not lie because you did exactly what wailers and village IPoDs do, you show up with your idiotic and unintelligent ipod nonsense..

And what are they doing in your villages? Nothing.

Useless people..

You are really imbecilic, parasitic and idiotic .

Why create a thread with title contradicting the content and yet expect people to ignore you . anu mpama wake up

3 Likes

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by Omonigeriarere: 3:14pm On Mar 02, 2016
Good development! It is high time we start looking for another sources of income apart from oil, a God-given blessing which has become a curse.
Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by Omonigeriarere: 3:17pm On Mar 02, 2016
crestedaguiyi:

And how has your last administration actualize this for the past sixteen years if I may ask? Proper prior planning prevents poor performance.

3 Likes

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by aresa: 3:21pm On Mar 02, 2016
[s]
crestedaguiyi:

You are really imbecilic, parasitic and idiotic .

Why create a thread with title contradicting the content and yet expect people to ignore you . anu mpama wake up
[/s]

Unintelligent village IPods, sadists, disgruntled, anti Nigerian elements and enemies of progress bore me...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by aresa: 3:24pm On Mar 02, 2016
Omonigeriarere:

And how has your last administration actualize this for the past sixteen years if I may ask? Proper prior planning prevents poor performance.

You know these doom and gloom sadists are only interested in doom and gloom, they care less about their own progress and even Nigeria's progress.

The losers have so much to say about other people trying to better themselves, but have nothing to say about their own do nothing and backward villages...

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by Nobody: 3:27pm On Mar 02, 2016
All this yoruba people their life yaff me no b small
Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by Nobody: 3:29pm On Mar 02, 2016
their cup of sperm not mine
Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by Nobody: 3:32pm On Mar 02, 2016
I'm highly impressed. Let's go back to the good old days where we didn't rely on the center for everything. Regional cooperation and integration is the way forward.
Awolowo, my hero and role model.
SS, abeg keep blowing company's pipelines and wellheads oo....pleaseeee

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by Gbawe: 3:36pm On Mar 02, 2016
crestedaguiyi:

Zombie, did I lie.

You guys are simply pathetic and incorrigible haters
When has implementation phase (doing it as you crudely put it) ever occurred without the equally important planning phase? In the haste to contribute a negative comment you only make a fool of yourself. The house you live in was planned before it was built. The builders cannot just get to the site and start building without guiding plans and only a m0r0n will dismiss the pivotal importance of a putting a plan in place for what one wishes to do or achieve.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by Eshinwaju: 3:54pm On Mar 02, 2016
Gbawe:

When has implementation phase (doing it as you crudely put it) ever occurred without the equally important planning phase? In the haste to contribute a negative comment you only make a fool of yourself. The house you live in was planned before it was built. The builders cannot just get to the site and start building without guiding plans.

Dead wrong... wink...have you not seen those beautiful red mud houses from whence he came??...in iPod mentality...planning is just plain 'stweepeed'...remember Kanu their hero planned to bomb Nigeria into Somalia without bombs.... grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by Eshinwaju: 3:54pm On Mar 02, 2016
Gbawe:

When has implementation phase (doing it as you crudely put it) ever occurred without the equally important planning phase? In the haste to contribute a negative comment you only make a fool of yourself. The house you live in was planned before it was built. The builders cannot just get to the site and start building without guiding plans.

Dead wrong... wink...have you not seen those beautiful red mud houses from whence he came??...in iPod mentality...planning is just plain 'stweepeed'...remember Kanu their hero planned to bomb Nigeria into Somalia without bombs.... grin

3 Likes

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by Pwayne2016(m): 3:55pm On Mar 02, 2016
Wich mineral?? Fanta or Coke??
Coz the Last time i checked no Mineral resources exist in the whole Yoloba land,even the Small cup oil they have was stolen from Edos

3 Likes

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by aresa: 4:42pm On Mar 02, 2016
[s]
Pwayne2016:
Wich mineral?? Fanta or Coke??
Coz the Last time i checked no Mineral resources exist in the whole Yoloba land,even the Small cup oil they have was stolen from Edos
[/s]

Typical unintelligent IpOD villager ramblings..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by Antivirus92(m): 4:45pm On Mar 02, 2016
These yoloba people keep deceiving themselves. Has osun paid her workers? What of ekitti that is borrowing money up and down?. How abt oyo and ogun?. Do they expect aresa and co to start tilling the soil on empty stomach?

5 Likes

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by aresa: 4:48pm On Mar 02, 2016
Gbawe:

When has implementation phase (doing it as you crudely put it) ever occurred without the equally important planning phase? In the haste to contribute a negative comment you only make a fool of yourself. The house you live in was planned before it was built. The builders cannot just get to the site and start building without guiding plans and only a m0r0n will dismiss the pivotal importance of a putting a plan in place for what one wishes to do or achieve.

And I wonder what efforts their village leaders are putting in place to tap whatever they have buried under their red erosion soil..

All they do is shout and criticize other people making efforts to better themselves and never concentrate on their own hopeless issues and lazy and incompetent leaders.

At the end of the day, they point fingers at other people for their own useless leaders and lack of foresight, even blame the federal government for not helping them to tie and polish their shoes because they are too lazy to do it themselves..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by aresa: 4:52pm On Mar 02, 2016
Antivirus92:
These yoloba people keep deceiving themselves. Has osun paid her workers? What of ekitti that is borrowing money up and down?. How abt oyo and ogun?. Do they expect aresa and co to start tilling the soil on empty stomach?

lmao... So, Osun must pay workers and ekiti must stop borrowing before you tap our resources and prepare for a better tomorrow?

You people come up with the dumbest and the most idiotic nonsense ever..

Who did this to you shallow, empty and unintelligent people? Something very very bad must be in the water you people's drinkgrin grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by kenny987(f): 4:53pm On Mar 02, 2016
Good development. Regionalism will take place by happenstance since the powers that be have refused to bring same about legally. Still it behoves all concerned to ensure that this becomes a constitutional provision otherwise the Niger Delta will remain the scapegoat she's been since oil was discovered.

The implication is that revenue will still be drawn and shared from the ND states while other regions explore their own natural resources and retain for themselves. It is time to restore self supporting and semi-autonomous regions to bring about the long elusive development that this country needs.

2 Likes

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by crestedaguiyi: 5:00pm On Mar 02, 2016
Gbawe:

Onuku, I have seen your post,ngwa go suck your mamas boobs.

You seem to be too dull of late so much that you do t know the difference plan to begin and began .

I pity for you and your fellow zombies

2 Likes

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by aresa: 5:39pm On Mar 02, 2016
crestedaguiyi:

Onuku, I have seen your post,ngwa go suck your mamas boobs.

You seem to be too dull of late so much that you do t know the difference plan to begin and began .

I pity for you and your fellow zombies

Analyzing the solid mineral deposits across the region and how best to explore them for the development of the region, the facilitator, Prof. Gbenga Okunlola, identified at least, 10 mineral deposits of commercial value which the region can explore.

You don't have to dig ground to explore, exploration starts from analysis and investigation of what to extract.

Analyzing and exploring your options is the beginning of extraction.

You are obviously confusing yourself with the word exploration simply because you have zero capacity to read and comprehend basic English words and meaning.

I'd agree with you if the word used in the article was extraction, but obviously, they used exploration.

This is how many of you unintelligent IPoDs and villagers fail WAEC...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by Antivirus92(m): 5:43pm On Mar 02, 2016
aresa:

lmao... So, Osun must pay workers and ekiti must stop borrowing before you tap our resources and prepare for a better tomorrow?

You people come up with the dumbest and the most idiotic nonsense ever..

Who did this to you shallow, empty and unintelligent people? Something very very bad must be in the water you people's drinkgrin grin
as dumb as oduduwa!. So when ur economy is very bad to the extent of owing workers or borrowing money, u go about tapping ur resources empty handed. Cocoa farm and mineral exploration are capital intensive projects, mr brown roof!. Excess zinc oxide must have made u dumber than u are two years ago...

7 Likes

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by Nobody: 5:52pm On Mar 02, 2016
They should use their senators and media to push for removal of mining from the exclusive list.
Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by gists: 6:09pm On Mar 02, 2016
While this is good, very good for that matter in order to get a shift from relying almost entirely on oil, I'll be a lot happier if this was in agriculture/manufacturing.
Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by Firstinline(m): 6:16pm On Mar 02, 2016
These ipod fools are just bunch of unrepentant idiots just like their albino father Nnamdi kunu.
They are always unable to identify anything good, that's why the southwest is light years ahead of their erosion ravaged region. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Southwest States Begin Exploration Of Solid Minerals by crestedaguiyi: 6:16pm On Mar 02, 2016
aresa:

You don't have to dig ground to explore, exploration starts from analysis and investigation of what to extract.

Analyzing and exploring your options is the beginning of extraction.

You are obviously confusing yourself with the word exploration simply because you have zero capacity to read and comprehend basic English words and meaning.

I'd agree with you if the word used in the article was extraction, but obviously, they used exploration.

This is how many of you unintelligent IPoDs and villagers fail WAEC...

Anuofia, I made 8 credits in one seating in Ehor grammer school Edo state.

I dare you to post your ssce and let me post mine, bingo.

The title of your lame thread read began and I said they have not began but are planning to begin.

How that is worth celebration and opening of thread is beyond me.

You can use all your monikers to insult ,am still certain I was not wrong in my assertion .

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bible: Punishment For Blasphemy. Death. / Bauchi Results / We’ve Sustained Akunyili’s Legacy By Wiping Out Fake Drugs, Says NAFDAC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.