Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,187 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? (2727 Views)

Did Jephthah Sacrifice His Daughter As A Burnt Offering To The Lord? / Woman Pledges Daughter As Tithe In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by yemixi4real(m): 12:42pm On Mar 03, 2016
A strong argument ensued between myself and colleagues about the story of JEPHTHAH and his daughter in Judges 11.

Bible scholars, please let's read and analysed this chapter.
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Mar 03, 2016
Blood sacrifice? In the Bible?

Na lie joor. The Bible is a good book.

2 Likes

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by yemixi4real(m): 4:22pm On Mar 03, 2016
sonOfLucifer:
Blood sacrifice? In the Bible?
Na lie joor. The Bible is a good book.

I need analysis
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by Scholar8200(m): 4:48pm On Mar 03, 2016
yemixi4real:
A strong argument ensued between myself and colleagues about the story of JEPHTHAH and his daughter in Judges 11.

Bible scholars, please let's read and analysed this chapter.
Well, I am still a learner; however, the vow rashly made by Jephthah was neither demanded by God nor practised by anyone. In fact, the law forbade use of children as sacrifice and gives specific prescriptions for any sacrifice to be made. This means the vow was made by Jephthah but was not acceptable by God! God granted victory because He had desired to deliver His people as Judges 10:15,16 shows:

15 The Israelites said to the Lord, “We have sinned, do to us whatever seems good to You; only please rescue us this day.” 16 So they removed the foreign gods from among them and served the Lord; and He could bear the misery of Israel no longer.
Judges 10:15,16

After all HE granted victory to Gideon, Barak etc without a vow!

But since it was a time when all men did what was right in his own eyes, Jephthah is fully responsible for his actions!

6 In those days there was no king in Israel; every man did what was right in his own eyes.

Judges 17:6

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:52pm On Mar 03, 2016
Jephthah made a vow and the bible did not say if he fulfilled it or not . Most likely that he didnt though . wink

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by malvisguy212: 5:55pm On Mar 03, 2016
God condemned human sacrifice, in fact the punishment for human sacrifice is death. The vow made by jephthah was a foolish vow. One thing for sure, if jephthah did sacrifice his daughter, God is against such ritual, he did so without God’s approval. Reporting an event that happen did not mean the bible sanction it.

In verse 37. The girl made a request to go up on the mountain with HER FRIENDS to weep because she was never married. Now my question is , if the girl know she will die, WHY WILL SHE SPEND HER LAST TWO MONTH WITH HER FRINDS INSTEAD OF HER FAMILY ?

In verse 38. jephthah allow her to go and the reason was made known " because she will NEVER marry:
38. “You may go,” he said. And he let her go for
two months. She and her friends went into the
hills and wept because she would never marry.

And in verse 39, japhthah fulfill his vow, why was it necessary to add " and she was a virgin?"

Judges 11:39
39 After the two months, she returned to her
father, and he did to her as he had vowed. AND SHE WAS A VIRGIN.

Japhthah did not sacrifice his daughter, he dedicated her to the Lord, this is in harmony with numbers chapter 31, were the isrealit are to save the virgin to serve the Lord in the temple.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Mar 03, 2016
malvisguy212:
God condemned human sacrifice, in fact the punishment for human sacrifice is death.
This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys

1 Like

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by malvisguy212: 6:47pm On Mar 03, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys
you cannot quote the verse that talk about judgment and then want the viewer to believe you. The amalakites attack Israel during the exodus, when they are weary and tired. God judge them but waited until they fill up the measure of their sin. From Exodus to judges, is about 400 years, that is enough time for them to seek for forgiveness, but rather, they continue to raid Israel (people who just began as a nation) . In judges, the amalakites raid Israel farm, harvest their crop, stole it

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by tartar9(m): 6:47pm On Mar 03, 2016
yes o.to the xtian bloodsucking god
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:51pm On Mar 03, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Were they used as human sacrifice ? In wars , anywhere , the victor can decimate or annihilate the vanquished . Another insignificant point raised

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by malvisguy212: 6:56pm On Mar 03, 2016
tartar9:
yes o.to the xtian bloodsucking god

you know, If I start with the quran, you will not be able to defend allah or muhammed, instead, you will insult me.
https://www.nairaland.com/2964728/islamic-paradise-sex-sin-sensuality
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by tartar9(m): 7:03pm On Mar 03, 2016
malvisguy212:
you know, If I start with the quran, you will not be able to defend allah or muhammed, instead, you will insult me.
https://www.nairaland.com/2964728/islamic-paradise-sex-sin-sensuality
Yes there will be sex in paradise...with your wife/wives
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by yemixi4real(m): 7:08pm On Mar 03, 2016
Thanks for your time and responses, I didn't open this thread to cause religious war but to learn. Please don't derail the thread.
However in Judges 11 verse 39, it was stated that he did to her according to the vow which he vowed.
in verse 31, his vow was to offer whatsoever came forth from his house to meet him as a Burnt Offering...

Nothing about marriage was stated in the chapter aside that she went to mourn/lament her virginity...
In my opinion, God didn't ask him to make a vow, however he did and verse 39 clearly stated that he did as vowed which I think is that he offered her as vowed.

1 Like

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by malvisguy212: 7:08pm On Mar 03, 2016
tartar9:

Yes there will be sex in paradise...with your wife/wives
who are the virgins ? So your wives here on earth will still be a virgin ? How will you fulfill your duties as a husband to those 72 virgins ?
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by tartar9(m): 7:08pm On Mar 03, 2016
malvisguy212:
you cannot quote the verse that talk about judgment and then want the viewer to believe you. The amalakites attack Israel during the exodus, when they are weary and tired. God judge them but waited until they fill up the measure of their sin. From Exodus to judges, is about 400 years, that is enough time for them to seek for forgiveness, but rather, they continue to raid Israel (people who just began as a nation) . In judges, the amalakites raid Israel farm, harvest their crop, stole it
You are one sick and evil human just like your god.so because your forefathers did not let my forefathers pass their own land,it will be just okay if I kill and rape your entire family including your little kids

1 Like

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by malvisguy212: 7:10pm On Mar 03, 2016
tartar9:

You are one sick and evil human just like your god.so because your forefathers did not let my forefathers pass their own land,it will be just okay if I kill and rape your entire family including your little kids
bring out the whole story let us read. Starting from exodus.
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by MrPresident1: 7:18pm On Mar 03, 2016
Jephthah did not sacrifice his daughter as a burnt offering, his daughter neither married nor knew a man, she was a virgin till death.
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by tartar9(m): 7:18pm On Mar 03, 2016
malvisguy212:
who are the virgins ? So your wives here on earth will still be a virgin ? How will you fulfill your duties as a husband to those 72 virgins ?
Yes,they will become anew like virgins,even commonsense should tell you that.can you show me the 72 virgins in the Quran
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Mar 03, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Were they used as human sacrifice ? In wars , anywhere , the victor can decimate or annihilate the vanquished . Another insignificant point raised
Saul didn't kill Agag. Pissed off Yahweh big-time.
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by tartar9(m): 7:39pm On Mar 03, 2016
malvisguy212:
bring out the whole story let us read. Starting from exodus.
you should be the one explaining
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by dolphinheart(m): 7:46pm On Mar 03, 2016
tartar9:

did you read judges 11 at all or you are just looking for something to rant about.

1 Like

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by tartar9(m): 8:13pm On Mar 03, 2016
dolphinheart:

did you read judges 11 at all or you are just looking for something to rant about.
read what? just see the nonsense ure saying
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by dolphinheart(m): 8:45pm On Mar 03, 2016
tartar9:
read what? just see the nonsense ure saying
I can guess you did not read it
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by malvisguy212: 8:58pm On Mar 03, 2016
yemixi4real:
Thanks for your time and responses, I didn't open this thread to cause religious war but to learn. Please don't derail the thread.
However in Judges 11 verse 39, it was stated that he did to her according to the vow which he vowed.
in verse 31, his vow was to offer whatsoever came forth from his house to meet him as a Burnt Offering...

Nothing about marriage was stated in the chapter aside that she went to mourn/lament her virginity...
In my opinion, God didn't ask him to make a vow, however he did and verse 39 clearly stated that he did as vowed which I think is that he offered her as vowed.
God did not approve of the burnt offering, unless you are trying to say jephthah disobey God. I believe jephthah is no stranger to the jewish scripture, surly he understand, God will not approve of human sacrifice. If the girl know she is going to die, will she have gone to the mountain to spend the last two month with her friends and not her family ?
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by tartar9(m): 9:06pm On Mar 03, 2016
dolphinheart:
I can guess you did not read it
post it
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by yemixi4real(m): 9:15pm On Mar 03, 2016
malvisguy212:
God did not approve of the burnt offering, unless you are trying to say jephthah disobey God. I believe jephthah is no stranger to the jewish scripture, surly he understand, God will not approve of human sacrifice. If the girl know she is going to die, will she have gone to the mountain to spend the last two month with her friends and not her family ?

I am not saying he disobeyed being fully aware the vow he made was voluntary and not ordered by God, the misconception I will love to clarity on is how he redeemed his vow... Taking the bible passage as reference
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by dolphinheart(m): 9:27pm On Mar 03, 2016
tartar9:

post it

no I wunt, the bible is the most published collection of books on earth, it's easy to find and read. There you will find what Allah told the isrealites to do to the amale kites. unless you feel that the God of isreal is not Allah, then pls dnt read it.
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by tartar9(m): 4:44am On Mar 04, 2016
dolphinheart:

no I wunt, the bible is the most published collection of books on earth, it's easy to find and read. There you will find what Allah told the isrealites to do to the amale kites. unless you feel that the God of isreal is not Allah, then pls dnt read it.
Allah didn't order genocide or rape
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by dolphinheart(m): 9:37am On Mar 04, 2016
tartar9:

Allah didn't order genocide or rape

Then im right to say that Allah is not the God of the isrealites then, he was not the one who gave those commands, Though I do not see rape there o, maybe you have another scripture that prescribe rape, like your hadit's!
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by dolphinheart(m): 9:44am On Mar 04, 2016
yemixi4real:

I am not saying he disobeyed being fully aware the vow he made was voluntary and not ordered by God, the misconception I will love to clarity on is how he redeemed his vow... Taking the bible passage as reference

he probably redeemed it by sending the child to the temple to serve, just like Samuel case. Note the girl was more about her virginity, not about getting burnt.
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by CoolUsername: 10:38am On Mar 04, 2016
yemixi4real:

But the vow wasn't exactly voluntary. Read for reference:

Then the Spirit of the LORD came upon
Jephthah ... And Jephthah vowed a vow unto
the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail
deliver the children of Ammon into mine
hands, Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh
forth of the doors of my house to meet me,
when I return in peace from the children of
Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will
offer it up for a burnt offering. So Jephthah
passed over unto the children of Ammon to
fight against them; and the LORD delivered
them into his hands.... And Jephthah came to
Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his
daughter came out to meet him with timbrels
and with dances: and she was his only child....
And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he
rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter!
thou hast brought me very low, and thou art
one of them that trouble me: for I have
opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot
go back. And she said unto him, My father, if
thou hast opened thy mouth unto the LORD, do
to me according to that which hath proceeded
out of thy mouth.... And it came to pass at the
end of two months, that she returned unto her
father, who did with her according to his vow
which he had vowed. Judges 11:29-40

The Spirit of the Lord came upon him for that to happen.
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by dalaman: 11:53am On Mar 04, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

God in the bible told his chosen men to kill everybody in a city,including livestock and burn them up as a burnt offering unto him.

“Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. “The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him.” Deuteronomy 13:13-19

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Did Elisha Sin Here? / Religion Vs Science: Check The Scores Here / Islamic Banking Will Do The Nation No Good -cleric

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.