Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,066 members, 7,825,370 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? (2755 Views)

Did Jephthah Sacrifice His Daughter As A Burnt Offering To The Lord? / Woman Pledges Daughter As Tithe In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by dalaman: 11:56am On Mar 04, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
Jephthah made a vow and the bible did not say if he fulfilled it or not . Most likely that he didnt though . wink

Lying for Jesus again, right? The verse clearly said that her father kept his vow.

“My heart is breaking! What a tragedy that you came out to greet me. For I have made a vow to the LORD and cannot take it back.” And she said, “Father, you have made a promise to the LORD. You must do to me what you have promised, for the LORD has given you a great victory over your enemies, the Ammonites. But first let me go up and roam in the hills and weep with my friends for two months, because I will die a virgin.” “You may go,” Jephthah said. And he let her go away for two months.
And he let her go away for two months. She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never have children. When she returned home, her father kept his vow, and she died a virgin. So it has become a custom in Israel for young Israelite women to go away for four days each year to lament the fate of Jephthah’s daughter.” Judges 11:35-40

1 Like

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:07pm On Mar 04, 2016
dalaman:

Lying for Jesus again, right? The verse clearly said that her father kept his vow.

“My heart is breaking! What a tragedy that you came out to greet me. For I have made a vow to the LORD and cannot take it back.” And she said, “Father, you have made a promise to the LORD. You must do to me what you have promised, for the LORD has given you a great victory over your enemies, the Ammonites. But first let me go up and roam in the hills and weep with my friends for two months, because I will die a virgin.” “You may go,” Jephthah said. And he let her go away for two months.
And he let her go away for two months. She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never have children. When she returned home, her father kept his vow, and she died a virgin. So it has become a custom in Israel for young Israelite women to go away for four days each year to lament the fate of Jephthah’s daughter.” Judges 11:35-40

this was refuted on the first page of this thread
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:16pm On Mar 04, 2016
dalaman:

God in the bible told his chosen men to kill everybody in a city,including livestock and burn them up as a burnt offering unto him.

“Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. “The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him.” Deuteronomy 13:13-19

The spoils of war and the burnt town were offered as sacrifice not the people
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by dalaman: 12:32pm On Mar 04, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

The spoils of war and the burnt town were offered as sacrifice not the people

It says kill everybody in the city including animals and put the entire town to torch as a burnt offering unto God. Remember God of the bible loves the smell of flesh.

1 Like

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by dalaman: 12:33pm On Mar 04, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

this was refuted on the first page of this thread

What was refuted? The person that wrote the story said the man made a vow he could not go back on and he kept his vow. I will go with what the story teller said instead of your opinion that doesn't matter.

1 Like

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:37pm On Mar 04, 2016
dalaman:

It says kill everybody in the city including animals and put the entire town to torch as a burnt offering unto God. Remember God of the bible loves the smell of flesh.

Loves the smell of flesh ? Sounds like you brought this up from this thread -> https://www.nairaland.com/1521348/why-does-bible-god-love
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by dalaman: 12:40pm On Mar 04, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Loves the smell of flesh ? Sounds like you brought this up from this thread -> https://www.nairaland.com/1521348/why-does-bible-god-love

According to the bible, God stated that he loves the smell of burning flesh. The bible verse is very clear about what God said, everything should be gather and burnt as a sacrificed unto him and that the town should remain a ruin for ever.
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by jayriginal: 12:45pm On Mar 04, 2016
Except to people in denial, it's pretty obvious that the girl was sacrificed.

It also begs the question as to why the all powerful God couldn't make a goat or sheep come out of the front door (since as you claim, he did not approve of human sacrifice {apart from his son apparently }).
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by Scholar8200(m): 1:02pm On Mar 04, 2016
CoolUsername:

But the vow wasn't exactly voluntary. Read for reference:

Then the Spirit of the LORD came upon
Jephthah ... And Jephthah vowed a vow unto
the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail
deliver the children of Ammon into mine
hands, Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh
forth of the doors of my house to meet me,
when I return in peace from the children of
Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will
offer it up for a burnt offering. So Jephthah
passed over unto the children of Ammon to
fight against them; and the LORD delivered
them into his hands.... And Jephthah came to
Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his
daughter came out to meet him with timbrels
and with dances: and she was his only child....
And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he
rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter!
thou hast brought me very low, and thou art
one of them that trouble me: for I have
opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot
go back. And she said unto him, My father, if
thou hast opened thy mouth unto the LORD, do
to me according to that which hath proceeded
out of thy mouth.... And it came to pass at the
end of two months, that she returned unto her
father, who did with her according to his vow
which he had vowed. Judges 11:29-40

The Spirit of the Lord came upon him for that to happen.
The ellipses inserted there omits what happened after the Spirit came and links it to the wrong vow.

Then the Spirit of the Lord came upon Jephthah, and he passed over Gilead, and Manasseh, and passed over Mizpeh of Gilead, and from Mizpeh of Gilead he passed over unto the children of Ammon.
Judges 11:29

The vow was made before this time:
Then Jephthah went with the elders of Gilead, and the people made him head and captain over them: and Jephthah uttered all his words before the Lord in Mizpeh.
Judges 11:11

Meaning the Spirit had NO hand in it. Besides, the Spirit will never contradict the word!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by Scholar8200(m): 1:08pm On Mar 04, 2016
dalaman:

God in the bible told his chosen men to kill everybody in a city,including livestock and burn them up as a burnt offering unto him.

“[size=14pt]Suppose[/size] you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. “The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him.” Deuteronomy 13:13-19

The highlighted shows that it was a prescription not a direct command against a named Tribe/City etc

Now, can you show us ONE instance when this was done to one of the Tribes of Israel? And, is this prescribed action (which was never carried out) done for pleasure or as a retribution for unfaithfulness to a covenant which they willingly entered into?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:11pm On Mar 04, 2016
Scholar8200:

The highlighted shows that it was a prescription not a direct command against a named Tribe/City etc

Now, can you show us ONE instance when this was done to one of the Tribes of Israel? And, is this prescribed action (which was never carried out) done for pleasure or as a retribution for unfaithfulness to a covenant which they willingly entered into?

Good point . It eluded me ! damn it angry
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by CoolUsername: 1:21pm On Mar 04, 2016
Scholar8200:
The ellipses inserted there omits what happened after the Spirit came and links it to the wrong vow.

Then the Spirit of the Lord came upon Jephthah, and he passed over Gilead, and Manasseh, and passed over Mizpeh of Gilead, and from Mizpeh of Gilead he passed over unto the children of Ammon.
Judges 11:29

The vow was made before this time:
Then Jephthah went with the elders of Gilead, and the people made him head and captain over them: and Jephthah uttered all his words before the Lord in Mizpeh.
Judges 11:11

That's not true. The vow wasn't made before that time.
The first time, Jephthah only sent messengers to Ammon. This time he went there himself. And it clearly states that when the Spirit of God came upon him he went to the places and then made the vow.

Also, why is that segment of the Bible that doesn't sit well with a lot of people suddenly not in chronological order?
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by CoolUsername: 1:28pm On Mar 04, 2016
Scholar8200:

This is a very weird response to make if I say so myself. Can you show one instance when someone was killed for bestiality in Israel?
So why should the fact that this commandment wasn't carried out in the Bible negate what God said?
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by Scholar8200(m): 1:32pm On Mar 04, 2016
CoolUsername:

This is a very weird response to make if I say so myself. Can you show one instance when someone was killed for bestiality in the Israel?
So why should the fact that this commandment wasn't carried out in the Bible negate what God said?
Do you have info on anyone that committed bestiality in Israel? I have tons of evidence that whole tribes in Israel went into idolatry! Did God command the free tribes to go execute that command? NO

Why you may ask?

The law exposed the sinfulness in all men and anyone trying to execute that command will be gnawed at by his conscience for hypocrisy! Just like the story of the woman caught in adultery!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by dalaman: 1:36pm On Mar 04, 2016
Scholar8200:

It's a command, an injunction on what to be done if someone entices them to worship other Gods. It shows intent even if it wasn't carried out, their God must have seen it as a good thing for him to have issued such an injunction. Does it matter if it is a retribution? Is killing an entire town including their livestock and burning them up completely a sound retribution for worshiping other Gods?
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by Scholar8200(m): 1:37pm On Mar 04, 2016
CoolUsername:

That's not true. The vow wasn't made before that time.
The first time, Jephthah only sent messengers to Ammon. This time he went there himself. And it clearly states that when the Spirit of God came upon him he went to the places and then made the vow.

Also, why is that segment of the Bible that doesn't sit well with a lot of people suddenly not in chronological order?
Chronological order? No! Even the books are not chronologically arranged. eg Job came centuries before Ruth, Samuel etc. Reading that passage, you will notice that the part of Jephthah's vow came in like a parenthesis. Try this without the aspect of the vow:

29 Then the Spirit of the Lord came upon Jephthah, and he passed over Gilead, and Manasseh, and passed over Mizpeh of Gilead, and from Mizpeh of Gilead he passed over unto the children of Ammon.

32 So Jephthah passed over unto the children of Ammon to fight against them; and the Lord delivered them into his hands.

33 And he smote them from Aroer, even till thou come to Minnith, even twenty cities, and unto the plain of the vineyards, with a very great slaughter. Thus the children of Ammon were subdued before the children of Israel
Judges 11:29,32,33

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by Scholar8200(m): 1:40pm On Mar 04, 2016
dalaman:

It's a command, an injunction on what to be done if someone entices them to worship other Gods. It shows intent even if it wasn't carried out, their God must have seen it as a good thing for him to have issued such an injunction. Does it matter if it is a retribution? Is killing an entire town including their livestock and burning them up completely a sound retribution for worshiping other Gods?
Well, it was a covenant they willingly entered into, they were not coerced against their will! In fact, Joshua also gave them a chance to change their minds,"choose you this day Whom you will serve" and they insisted that they would serve the Lord!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by dalaman: 1:42pm On Mar 04, 2016
Scholar8200:

Well, it was a covenant they willingly entered into, they were not coerced against their will! In fact, Joshua also gave them a chance to change their minds,"choose you this day Whom you will serve" and they insisted that they would serve the Lord!

OK.
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by dolphinheart(m): 1:44pm On Mar 04, 2016
dalaman:

you read it wrongly, bet you even wanted to read it wrongly, go and read it again, and if you are sure you are right, quote the verses again. humans are not offered as burnt offering.
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by ojoyentalk: 3:04pm On Mar 04, 2016
It is likely Jephthah used an animal sacrifice in the daughter's stead.
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by feedthenation(m): 4:24pm On Mar 04, 2016
Jephthah's daughter wasn't literally burnt as an offering, as Yahweh has commanded and forbidden that there should be no human sacrifice of any kind. God would not have accepted such sacrifices.

What happened was that, Jephthah's linage was cut short permanently - meaning he didn't have grandchildren because his daughter maintained a life of celibacy by knowing no man and instead serving in the tabernacle all the remainning days of her life.

Just to put into perspective, the story is a remainder that we should not make foolish promises or vows.
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by promisechuks: 6:48pm On Mar 04, 2016
tartar9:
Yes there will be sex in paradise...with your wife/wives
So, you are not ashamed to talk of having sex in heaven?
Anyway you guys have been brainwashed.
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by tartar9(m): 6:50pm On Mar 04, 2016
promisechuks:

[s] So, you are not ashamed to talk of having sex in heaven?

Anyway you guys have been brainwashed.
[/s]
explain what makes it evil or sharrap!

1 Like

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by CoolUsername: 7:14pm On Mar 04, 2016
Scholar8200:

Chronological order? No! Even the books are not chronologically arranged. eg Job came centuries before Ruth, Samuel etc. Reading that passage, you will notice that the part of Jephthah's vow came in like a parenthesis. Try this without the aspect of the vow:

29 Then the Spirit of the Lord came upon Jephthah, and he passed over Gilead, and Manasseh, and passed over Mizpeh of Gilead, and from Mizpeh of Gilead he passed over unto the children of Ammon.

32 So Jephthah passed over unto the children of Ammon to fight against them; and the Lord delivered them into his hands.

33 And he smote them from Aroer, even till thou come to Minnith, even twenty cities, and unto the plain of the vineyards, with a very great slaughter. Thus the children of Ammon were subdued before the children of Israel
Judges 11:29,32,33

The books not being chronologically arranged is one thing. But not within the same chapter of a book. As a matter of fact, these verses that you posted don't show anything.
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by CoolUsername: 7:51pm On Mar 04, 2016
Scholar8200:
Do you have info on anyone that committed bestiality in Israel? I have tons of evidence that whole tribes in Israel went into idolatry! Did God command the free tribes to go execute that command? NO

Why you may ask?

The law exposed the sinfulness in all men and anyone trying to execute that command will be gnawed at by his conscience for hypocrisy! Just like the story of the woman caught in adultery!

So God didn't actually mean it? I wonder what other commandments served this purpose. I can now see why Christians cherry-pick only the verses they like in the Bible.
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by Scholar8200(m): 9:17pm On Mar 04, 2016
CoolUsername:

So God didn't actually mean it? I wonder what other commandments served this purpose. I can now see why Christians cherry-pick only the verses they like in the Bible.
So where did I say God didnt mean it? The accusation of cherry picking is understandable; you dont understand these things as clarified in the NT, and since you are an atheist, no need to waste time explaining. (I dont expect you to )

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by Scholar8200(m): 9:19pm On Mar 04, 2016
CoolUsername:

The books not being chronologically arranged is one thing. But not within the same chapter of a book. As a matter of fact, these verses that you posted don't show anything.
No problem.
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by tartar9(m): 11:22pm On Mar 04, 2016
am still waiting @promisechuks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by stonemasonn: 12:59am On Mar 05, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys
God wills it!....they always say. The Jews started it, the Christians perfected it and the Muslims employed it. When ever they want to conquer lands from weak landowners they cook up a reason in the name of God. God wills it and so shall it be. Hallelujah
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by ifenes(m): 2:49am On Mar 05, 2016
And christians claim their god is a spirit? JEPHTHAH had no choice but to sacrifice his daughter to a physical god(Anunaki). Anyway it is obvious lots of atrocities happened in the Bible. What a book of morals.
Re: Did JEPHTHAH Offer His Daughter As A Burnt Offering? by tartar9(m): 4:45pm On Mar 05, 2016
still waiting sad @promisechuks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Christ Embassy Pastors Welcome Their First Child After 13 Years Of Marriage / Head-covering For Women-Zac Poonen / What Do Christians Think Of Homo Neanderthals?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.