Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,787 members, 7,956,010 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:14 PM

Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) (16386 Views)

Kidnap Syndicate Smashed By Police Operatives Along Abuja Highway. Photos / Man Who Has Killed Policemen And Soldiers In Ikorodu Killed (Photos) / Criminal Who Terrorizes Lafia-Abuja Highway Nabbed At North Bank, Makurdi (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by ebosie11(f): 5:33am On Mar 05, 2016
A police raid at the popular market at the Federal Housing junction in Lugbe, Abuja, has left a man dead and several others injured among other casualties.

According to a Trezzy blog reader who sent in the photos,policemen had earlier chased traders from the bus-stop, saying they were prohibited from trading there.

Minutes after the Police warning, trading resumed as the traders went about their business as usual.
Speaking further,he said the police launched a surprise attack on the bus-stop. Gripped by fear of getting caught and forfeiting their wears, the traders took to their heels.

In an attempt to cross the highway with his goods, a young Northerner (name not confirmed) was hit by a car and died on the spot.

Upon witnessing the accident, residents went on a rampage, as they protested, by burning tyres on the highway, barricading the road and caused pandemonium at the bus-stop.

Police reinforcements have been deployed to the spot, and heavy shooting was ongoing.

Another online user,Bukky Shonibare, one of the founders of the Bring Back Our Girls movement in Nigeria, who witnessed the incident gave a different account of the story.

Find her story below:

“From 8.20pm, today, March 4!: I just had a nearest death experience in my life. Gunmen are on the Airport Road, around Lugbe FHA, Abuja.

Some armed guys waved down motorists and stopped right in front of my car; stopping mine and all other vehicles behind me. They placed stones on the road and ordered us to return.
The fiercely looking armed guys were directly in front of my car, causing road blocks, holding big guns – one pointing his big gun directly at me through my windscreen. I couldn’t drive forward and I couldn’t return. I was lost.

Then, some of their colleagues came out from the corners and started shooting. I switched off my car ignition, took my phone, left my bag, and ran off. Others did same. At this time, my shoe had spoilt, I limped on through the stony ground, managed to enter a big gutter, and hid there. But the shootings became more leaving the place deserted, and none of the other motorists stayed in the gutter, so I hopped out, and ran off.

After some minutes of running, tear gas was released in the air. I don’t know by who. It was so peppery, water dropping off my eyes, and I couldn’t see well. Still the shootings continued and we ran. The road was filled with only empty cars, mine in front.

Then, a Chisco luxurious bus came and ran through all the stones, sticks, and other objects they used to block the road. That paved way.

The armed guys, at this point, had gone into the corners of the road shooting with people running helter-skelter. Then, motorists started running back into their cars. I did same. And with the help of the Chisco luxurious bus, we zoomed through.

Because I was the last to enter my car, the armed guys had returned to the road shooting, but I had started moving. They threw big heavy stones at my tyres but, by God’s grace, I drove through unstopped and unhurt.

Even though I couldn’t see well, for the effect of the tear gas, I was able to manoeuvre through. Till I got home, I kept looking back thinking I was being followed.

Though my face still feels peppery, my chest aches, my eyes hitch… I am grateful to God.
I don’t know what went down there or who those armed guys were, but one thing is sure, it’s the scariest near-death experience I’ve had in my life.

I hope penning this helps me recover from the shock; and that relevant authorities would look into this, not just for tonight, but afterwards.
Forgive my incoherence.”

Pictured above are some of the residents burning tyres at the scene

Source: http://www.trezzyblog.com/2016/03/one-killed-as-police-raids-abuja_4.html

1 Like

Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by Kenzico(m): 5:36am On Mar 05, 2016
Na Wa o!

All I needed was this first to comment this early morning!!

Thanks Be to God!!
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by Demmocrats(m): 5:50am On Mar 05, 2016
Bad news is like good morning in this country

5 Likes

Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by alienvirus: 6:00am On Mar 05, 2016
After commercial motorcyclist, another set of obdurate people are those marketers on the road side. They are of different types. From a Yoruba (Iya Debora selling and grinding pepper by the road side) to Aboki (Musa yam seller with wheelbarrow), and Emeka ( Ibo boy selling white men unused clothes). Come to Ikorodu one evening.

BTW, why did armed youth or police block the highway again?

2 Likes

Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by banki(m): 6:05am On Mar 05, 2016
Corruption is fighting back
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by ademega(m): 6:23am On Mar 05, 2016
only God knows what is happening to our youths nowadays

1 Like

Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by tunwumi: 8:30am On Mar 05, 2016
F
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by mccoy47(m): 8:31am On Mar 05, 2016
Nigerian police and unprofessionallism! angry

2 Likes

Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by IamforGod: 8:31am On Mar 05, 2016
shocked
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by truthspeaks: 8:31am On Mar 05, 2016
Ok
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by strawberryinc(m): 8:31am On Mar 05, 2016
Where is this country going sef, it is only in Nig you see a big fool buy vehicles worth 300million naira at the expense of hungry children at idp' camp.
Everyone causing hardship to the common man in this country will not know peace.

5 Likes

Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by ejima5101: 8:31am On Mar 05, 2016
I ghost my comment
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by peaceafex: 8:32am On Mar 05, 2016
so bad
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by simi4me(m): 8:33am On Mar 05, 2016
hmm
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by Mopolchi: 8:33am On Mar 05, 2016
Na wa ooo
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by muller101(m): 8:35am On Mar 05, 2016
Let me blame someone this morning. Guess who. Buhari of cos.
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by Nobody: 8:36am On Mar 05, 2016
I smell war .
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by MrHackmed1(m): 8:36am On Mar 05, 2016
Those people no dey hear word
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by Ralphdan(m): 8:38am On Mar 05, 2016
Isorriit!
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by Chuksworld(m): 8:39am On Mar 05, 2016
Bad news everywhere
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by Nobody: 8:40am On Mar 05, 2016
shocked
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by DickDastardly(m): 8:46am On Mar 05, 2016
Thank God its not my brother that died cool
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by winkmart: 8:50am On Mar 05, 2016
too bad for Nigeria... Thank God am now in Niger
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by Nobody: 8:54am On Mar 05, 2016
In an attempt to cross the highway with his goods, a young Northerner (name not confirmed) was hit by a car and died on the spot

The way news are reported this days breeds tribalism.
Which one be young Northerner.is Northerner a country?

Why not a young Nigerian?

13 Likes

Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by davedpo(m): 9:04am On Mar 05, 2016
God save our nation
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by oduastates: 9:10am On Mar 05, 2016
phantonce:
In an attempt to cross the highway with his goods, a young Northerner (name not confirmed) was hit by a car and died on the spot

Because Nigeria is a geographical expression.
You could as well have substituted the northerner with Ghanian .
The Ghanian has as much rights and privileges as anybody because there are no concepts of nationhood.
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by ogtavia(m): 9:12am On Mar 05, 2016
I passed through that same road yesterday ar nd 7.30pm on my way home from work....thank you Jesus for safety.....

1 Like

Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by Nobody: 9:22am On Mar 05, 2016
Trading on that road is bad, I am totally against it. I think AEPB should be the one to move this people off the road. Police officers are not always reliable.
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by cutestcee: 12:32pm On Mar 05, 2016
Different accounts to that event hmmmm
The shooting happened about few minutes to 9pm. I just left the junction on a bike oooo
Meanwhile I heard whatever happened started in the evening.
My concern is that normalcy returns there. Again AEPB and the police should liaise and bring order please
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by evawater: 1:45pm On Mar 05, 2016
phantonce:

I was at the scene of the incident and ran for my dear life too but why exactly he used the word 'northerner' could be because immediately after the young man was hit, northern folks hit the road and tried blocking it with any obstacle on sight. And they burned tyres right in the middle of the road. So, northerners responding could be the reason he used the word. We are ofcourse one, Hausa Igbo, Yoruba. Cheers.
Re: Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) by 100Cents: 7:35pm On Mar 05, 2016
Y must police shoot unarmed civilians ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How I Escaped Being Murdered In Front Of A Police Station / Efcc Arraigns Fake Fund Manager For N4million Fraud (Photo) / Have You Seen Aduwa Idahosa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.