Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,266 members, 7,811,758 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:56 PM

Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos (27245 Views)

Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist / Aliko Dangote Unveils SunTrust Bank, Nigeria’s First Fintech Bank / How Aliko Dangote Became The Richest Man In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by dowjones(m): 2:56pm On Mar 08, 2016
PapaBrowne:

Lets stop this nonsense. Dangote is a hard worker. He works harder than all the others.
Dangote's strength is in his absolute value chain strategy. He is involved in every segment of his production systems.
He mines the limestone, he produces his own power, owns the company that produces bag for all his commodities, owns the trucks that supply his cement and a whole lot others. Even owns the dockyard that berths his raw materials. Its a business stratey he has built over ages.

If smallers players like Ibeto would play successfully in the same market, they must devise strategies that would make thier products way more appealing than the behemoth. Something as simple as focusing on the last mile using innovative delivery strategies can change the game for Ibeto

You sound ignorant. I can easily assume you don't know how contracts are awarded and the heavy interplay of politics in nigerian business.

I've edited my post cos its useless to a person like you who probably works behind a desk and reads motivational books.

2 Likes

Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by 2n2k(m): 3:00pm On Mar 08, 2016
dowjones:

Nice one.

See why Nigeria's future is weak? Unregulated power in the hands of one man. Dangote only thives in a monopoly. Nigerians pay more than double for cement compared global prices because of one man.

When IBETO brother were given license to produce cement under the Yar adua admin, they announced they will sell a bag of cement for N800 the NEXT WEEK, that license was revoked through the lobbying of Turai (that witch).

Once dangote is done with his tomato paste farm, government will pass a unfavourable bill against tomato paste production. Or they will use NAFDAC do make new entrants suffer. This is nigeria

Dangote's Nigeria

Don't stand history on its head.

Obj govt gave Ibeto licence to import cement on the same terms and conditions that Dangote, Larfarge, FMN, etc were given. The terms require that you set up a factory in Nigeria and import only the same quantities as you locally produced pending the time that local production would meet the nation's demand.

It was found out later that Ibeto was not producing locally but was benefiting under the cement policy. Obj revoked his 'import' licence to re-bag in Nigeria not production licence to produce. Ibeto went to court and court ordered that his import licence should be restored by which time Obj had left government.

While the case was still in court, Ibeto was boasting that if he had been allowed to import, he could crash the price to N800 within 40 days as opposed to about N1,600 that locally produced cement of Dangote and others were selling for that time. Unfortunately for him, he won in court and the Government did not appeal that ruling. On July 25, 2007, Yardua ordered the re-opening of his re-bagging factory in Port-Harcourt yet he could not even sell below the price of local one talkless of crashing it.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by 2n2k(m): 3:14pm On Mar 08, 2016
dowjones:

You sound ignorant. I can easily assume you don't know how contracts are awarded and the heavy interplay of politics in nigerian business.

If richard branson ran away from nigeria because of the politics that frustrated his Airline. Is dangote a harder worker than branson?

Strive Masiwa, owner of ECONET, ran away from naija for similar reasons. the heavy interplay of politics in business.

Dangote is not smarter, he is simply a bully. he is taking advantage of the lawlessness of a country. He is the sole sponsor of PDP. He has his hands in many pies. Emefiele has offered to give him $19 billion from the country's reserves while other business men can afford shingbai.

who do think the capital oil man and BUA alhaji were referring too when they said they will mention names??

Microsoft was taken to court and its monopoly destroyed before silicon valley was born. do you even know about this.

I regret replying you and i will not again.

You again? Where do you get these your beer-parlour gossip?

Between Silicon Valley and Microsoft, which one precede the other? Do you know what Silicon Valley mean?

Production was already on in SV right from late 60s and early 70s and IBM made it more popular even before Microsoft was conceptualised. Which year did anti-trust case against Microsoft start? What is the relationship of the case of Microsoft in EU with Silicon Valley after all it is not only in US that Microsoft was dragged to court.

1 Like

Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by dowjones(m): 3:25pm On Mar 08, 2016
2n2k:

You again? Where do you get these your beer-parlour gossip?

Between Silicon Valley and Microsoft, which one precede the other? Do you know what Silicon Valley mean?

Production was already on in SV right from late 60s and early 70s and IBM made it more popular even before Microsoft was conceptualised. Which year did anti-trust case against Microsoft start? What is the relationship of the case of Microsoft in EU with Silicon Valley after all it is not only in US that Microsoft was dragged to court.

Mr prof. even my cow knows Silicon valley was established before Microsoft. when i said born i meant grew stronger.. i didnt have a right word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corp.

thats the link that shows how the U.S sued microsoft when the companies power needed regulation.

and negro, i see you LIVE on nairaland. remind to pay your rent.

Some of us come to this mediocre forum once a day. I'm done for the day this is my last reply to you.
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by Chukzyfcb(m): 3:49pm On Mar 08, 2016
obailala:
There are lot's of opportunities in the tomato paste business today and very soon, importation of tomato paste will definitely be banned. So the big question is, why are more businessmen not investing in the tomato paste business now? WHy is everyone waiting for Dangote to dominate that sector too?

I may be wrong, but I thought the reason Ibeto's cement import license was suspended was because he had not met with the agreement to set-up his local production plant?
As regard tomato production, there is a man from town by name "erisco" he has built a tomato plant that is adjudged to be the Biggest tomato plant in africa. He complains how he doesn't receive government favour like other manufacturers do. Infact lastmonth, his plant was commissioned with Aisha buhari present. He has already told the government to outrghtly ban or increase tomato import tax. Because the cost of manufacturing tomato is slightly expensive than Importing, so how can he compete? My fear is dangote's tomato's plant that is coming onboard soon, as a Northerner he could be more favoured than Mr Eric Umeofia (Ceo erisco food) who has already started the race but hasn't received any govt favours yet!
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by obailala(m): 3:57pm On Mar 08, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

As regard tomato production, there is a man from town by name "erisco" he has built a tomato plant that is adjudged to be the Biggest tomato plant in africa. He complains how he doesn't receive government favour like other manufacturers do. Infact lastmonth, his plant was commissioned with Aisha buhari present. He has already told the government to outrghtly ban or increase tomato import tax. Because the cost of manufacturing tomato is slightly expensive than Importing, so how can he compete? My fear is dangote's tomato's plant that is coming onboard soon, as a Northerner he could be more favoured than Mr Eric Umeofia (Ceo erisco food) who has already started the race but hasn't received any govt favours yet!
Erisco needs to try and lobby much more, there must be something which Dangote does better (in terms of lobbying) which others aren't doing. I refuse to believe the favour Dangote gets is purely because of his ethnic group or religion cos he also enjoyed those favours under OBJ and GEJ and his tribesman like BUA also lamented the same discrimination. If the new erisco plant can really meet a substantial amount of local demand, then the best favour he needs now from government is a total ban on importation of tomato paste; I'm sure the present government would be happy to do that. We need more Eriscos though.

2 Likes

Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by 989900: 3:57pm On Mar 08, 2016
I like Dangote.

I wish all those 'goats' would invest just a third of the stolen 'yams' in this manner.

However, why would the gov't starve everyone of dollars for Dangote?
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by Chukzyfcb(m): 4:05pm On Mar 08, 2016
obailala:
Erisco needs to try and lobby much more, there must be something which Dangote does better (in terms of lobbying) which others aren't doing. I refuse to believe the favour Dangote gets is purely because of his ethnic group or religion cos he also enjoyed those favours under OBJ and GEJ and his tribesman like BUA also lamented the same discrimination. If the new erisco plant can really meet a substantial amount of local demand, then the best favour he needs now from government is a total ban on importation of tomato paste; I'm sure the present government would be happy to do that. We need more Eriscos though.
There's far much more to that bro. Dangote is highly favoured. If a level playing ground is given to all investors I doubt he would be this rich. There's a bit of unfairness in awarding contract. Didn't you read about the size of the tomato plant? Over 200,000tons capacity per annum. Not forgetting price. Will you agree to buy a nigerian tomato for 60naira when you can get other tomato for #40naira? With the current forex control, sourcing fx for raw-materials for these sorta manufacturers is even more difficult. These are the little favours Mr dangote enjoys. A level playing ground should be metted to all Top enterpreneurs.
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by PapaBrowne(m): 4:06pm On Mar 08, 2016
dowjones:

I've edited my post cos its useless to a person like you who probably works behind a desk and reads motivational books.
Your speech is empty and it speaks loudly about your personal frustrations in life. Surely isn't my fault nor Dangote's.

I don't know how contracts are awarded because I don't do contracts. Neither does Dangote. What we do is production. We create wonderful products after adding real value to raw materials. And you know what, I run my ish and do 7 digits in $$$ yearly using same value chain model Dangote uses.
Keep hating. Hope you don't grow old and have to live in regret. The earlier you fix your mindset and stop expecting govt to spoofed you, the better for your offspring.

2 Likes

Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by STRBOY(m): 4:31pm On Mar 08, 2016
BLINGZ88:
By 2019 dangote will b d president of Nigeria, nd he will make life better for all of us, nd he will give every body a car and he will build duplex 4 us, nd he will marry all the unmarried women and he will employ every jobless youth and so on and so forth...

Hahahahahhahahahhahahahaha
You jst cracked me Up....... Hahahahahahahahahahhahahah My Guy U a Clown
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by CriticalThought: 4:32pm On Mar 08, 2016
obailala:

The underlying issue has always been money, anyone who is astute about Nigerian politics knows money buys elections. That is the case all over the world and it is more evident here in Nigeria. Dangote has an even greater advantage than just the money because of this ethnicity and the fact that the masses love him despite his underhanded dealings

Dangote is a billionaire, there is no Nigerian president that will not grant him an audience. He went as far as purportedly contributing 200 million naira to the first campaign of OBJ, there has never been a level playing field for anyone wanting to compete at the Dangote level and in the long un, it will be bad for Nigeria

I encourage you to read the wikileaks about Dangote and you will see what the Nigerian media is not telling you
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by Getikebusy(m): 5:40pm On Mar 08, 2016
This is an unparalleled philanthropy from a single human being! Then I begin to wonder about the other Nigerians on the Forbes list: Alakija, Otedola, Adenuga et al. Are they only just amassing wealth for themselves (and their families) at the expense of Nigerians? You can imagine the amount of good it will do to Nigeria if they (along with other unsung billionaires like Arthur Eze) formed a coalition to begin to give back to Nigerians even if its 10% of what DanGote is doing.

Oluwa abeg pick my call o!
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by sam90s(m): 5:59pm On Mar 08, 2016
BLINGZ88:
By 2019 Dangote will b d president of Nigeria, nd he will make life better for all of us, nd he will give everybody a car and he will build duplex 4 us, nd he will marry all the unmarried women and he will employ every jobless youth and so on and so forth...
The rising tide will not and cannot float a single individual's boat, I believe other boat owners should try and sail their boats, or interested parties should buy/build one. However, in a fairly stable/unstable country like ours, the risks of investing huge sums are massive, but so is the margin of profit, no one can force me to take such risks never! so I won't complain when I see risk-takers smiling to the bank, truth is we need more Dangotes.
Foreign multinationals probably make far more profit than Dangote Group will ever dream, so why do we have to hate ourselves?
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by udeh3(m): 6:05pm On Mar 08, 2016
KINGinVAHALA2:
[b]And Dangote also wanna build a multi-billion naira factory in Ologbo, Ikpoba-Okha Local Government, Edo State. A large land has already been bought by him waiting for when the construction of the factory would commence.

And same Dangote also wanted to purchase Ewu Flour Mill, when it was put on the market by Edo State Government late last year, but Edo State Government in its wisdom prefered selling it to Rev Chris Oyakhilome who is from the same Local Government where the factory is located. Re-construction work has started at the factory.

The same dangote wanted to build a Fertilizer Factory in Edo North in 2009 after late Yar adua awarded the contract for the dredging of river niger which passess Edo north and with that a sea port would have been built there, but he had to stop after jonathan cancelled the contract.

Same Dangote wanted to purchase Okpella Cement Factory in Edo North, but Edo state govt instead sold it to BUA GROUP.

Same Dangote! Same Dangote!! Same Dangote!!![/b]

Ologbo ke! Where exactly in Ologbo?
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by sam90s(m): 6:14pm On Mar 08, 2016
Here is a link of Obama (in an interview aboard his Airforce1) stating that after WW2 the US use its Military and Economic influence to push American brands to almost every corner of the planet, of course, people will scream 'unfair', but might do the same thing if they were in that position, would you rather Dangote sit back and let foreign companies fill the vacuum? Believe me they will, and unlike Dangotethey will remmit their cash overseas as usual. So like an American guy once said responding to my criticism of George W Bush, he said "Yes! Bush might be a bad guy, but he's the West's bad guy, no way will he ever trade him for a Putin, Sadam or Gadhaffi, never", I think it's time Nigerians adopt a similar sense of loyalty/patriotism, we need it far more than the Americans does, at least till we can stand on our own 2s.

CriticalThought:

The underlying issue has always been money, anyone who is astute about Nigerian politics knows money buys elections. That is the case all over the world and it is more evident here in Nigeria. Dangote has an even greater advantage than just the money because of this ethnicity and the fact that the masses love him despite his underhanded dealings

Dangote is a billionaire, there is no Nigerian president that will not grant him an audience. He went as far as purportedly contributing 200 million naira to the first campaign of OBJ, there has never been a level playing field for anyone wanting to compete at the Dangote level and in the long un, it will be bad for Nigeria

I encourage you to read the wikileaks about Dangote and you will see what the Nigerian media is not telling you
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by FxDominion(m): 6:18pm On Mar 08, 2016
dowjones:

Nice one.

See why Nigeria's future is weak? Unregulated power in the hands of one man. Dangote only thrives in a monopoly. Nigerians pay more than double for cement compared global prices because of one man.

When IBETO brothers were given license to produce cement under the Yar adua admin, they announced they will sell a bag of cement for N800 the NEXT WEEK, that license was revoked through the lobbying of Turai (that witch).

Once dangote is done with his tomato paste farm, government will pass a unfavourable bill against tomato paste production. Or they will use NAFDAC do make new entrants suffer. This is nigeria

Dangote's Nigeria

God will judge each and everyone of them
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by naijagobetter(m): 6:56pm On Mar 08, 2016
dowjones:

Nice one.

See why Nigeria's future is weak? Unregulated power in the hands of one man. Dangote only thrives in a monopoly. Nigerians pay more than double for cement compared global prices because of one man.

When IBETO brothers were given license to produce cement under the Yar adua admin, they announced they will sell a bag of cement for N800 the NEXT WEEK, that license was revoked through the lobbying of Turai (that witch).

Dangote's Nigeria
if all the thieves invest in this country with the stolen money it would have been alot better, dangote is making use of his God given business acumen, so it is even in develop economies, why blame him? Or did he steal goernment money? If yea and we have ten of his type what do you think will be of naija economy?
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by CriticalThought: 8:44pm On Mar 08, 2016
sam90s:
Here is a link of Obama (in an interview aboard his Airforce1) stating that after WW2 the US use its Military and Economic influence to push American brands to almost every corner of the planet, of course, people will scream 'unfair', but might do the same thing if they were in that position, would you rather Dangote sit back and let foreign companies fill the vacuum? Believe me they will, and unlike Dangotethey will remmit their cash overseas as usual. So like an American guy once said responding to my criticism of George W Bush, he said "Yes! Bush might be a bad guy, but he's the West's bad guy, no way will he ever trade him for a Putin, Sadam or Gadhaffi, never", I think it's time Nigerians adopt a similar sense of loyalty/patriotism, we need it far more than the Americans does, at least till we can stand on our own 2s.

I do see your point, I am patriotic but not blind. If any westerner approached me about something similar, I will fiercely defend Dangote and his brand till the world ends. However, when I am in Nigeria, I have to ask why its only the brand of Dangote that is being pushed very heavily. In as much as we want Dangote to succeed and represent Nigeria well, he is still a business man who wants to make profit. It is the responsibility of our government to ensure that they dont give the perception of supporting one Nigerian brand over the other and realistically making sure that corporations never have too much power that can be used to influence the Nigerian masses negatively. If our corporations want to lord over other countries, we should by all means support them.
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by Hayweezy01(m): 9:47pm On Mar 08, 2016
KINGinVAHALA2:
[b]And Dangote also wanna build a multi-billion naira factory in Ologbo, Ikpoba-Okha Local Government, Edo State. A large land has already been bought by him waiting for when the construction of the factory would commence.

And same Dangote also wanted to purchase Ewu Flour Mill, when it was put on the market by Edo State Government late last year, but Edo State Government in its wisdom prefered selling it to Rev Chris Oyakhilome who is from the same Local Government where the factory is located. Re-construction work has started at the factory.

The same dangote wanted to build a Fertilizer Factory in Edo North in 2009 after late Yar adua awarded the contract for the dredging of river niger which passess Edo north and with that a sea port would have been built there, but he had to stop after jonathan cancelled the contract.

Same Dangote wanted to purchase Okpella Cement Factory in Edo North, but Edo state govt instead sold it to BUA GROUP.

Same Dangote! Same Dangote!! Same Dangote!!![/b]

There is nothing wrong in doing business that is profitable, I'm sure you wouldn't pass on a good deal too.
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by Ezenwanne: 10:00pm On Mar 08, 2016
Any fool can be Dangote, if given such govt backing. I'm not hating just saying.
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by Adelakun2016(m): 3:54am On Mar 09, 2016
kachnov:
Having Dangote is not the problem...the problem is having 1 Dangote.
I agree
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by mikemb(m): 5:11am On Mar 09, 2016
kachnov:
Having Dangote is not the problem...the problem is having 1 Dangote.
Your brain dey work well my bros!
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by marv1: 10:42am On Mar 09, 2016
But not like Ray Power boss Raymond Dokpesi that puts all his eggs in one basket and was still boasting. Now he has eaten the humble pie.
janellemonae:

Dont mind them. Even dangote said in his own words he made a lot of money supplying cement to the govt in the 70's when they wanted to build festac '77, then everything grinded to a halt during buharis military regime when he banned imports. He had to restrategize into sthn else dt was permissible under dt govt.

Governments affect businesses a lot, dts why the more successful they get, they try to get in bed wt the govt or party of the day. Its done by forward-thinking businessmen in every country of the world.
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by cecegorz(m): 2:47pm On Mar 09, 2016
shafanik:
Aliko Dangote, Africa’s richest man and
President and Chief executive officer of
Dangote Group, says his cement
company Dangote Cement has seen a 47
percent growth in sales volumes
between January and February 2016.
Dangote was speaking today at the
Economist Summit in Lagos which
Nairametrics is covering.....

DANGOTE CEMENT PLC 
Aliko Dangote Just made
these huge revelations at the
Economist summit
 Pat Melik |  350 Views
Dangote Cement can export up to
$500 million worth of cement
annually from Nigeria to neighboring
West African countries.

By 2018 – 2020 there will be no
need by Dangote Group of
businesses to get FX from the CBN.

In 5 – 6 years Dangote’ Sugar
investments will stop imports of
about $1 bn worth of sugar into
Nigeria.

Dangote Group will produce 1 million
tons of rice in 5 years.

Dangote is building a 2 undersea gas
pipelines that can move 1.5 million
scf of gas each from oil blocks
71/72 in the Niger Delta to Olokola
Free Trade Zone and then to Lagos.

When completed the gas being
carried (total of 3 bn scf a day) can
produce up to 12,000 mw of
electricity.

Dangote Group is getting equipment
for its Fertilizer, petrochemical and
refinery projects about 30 percent
cheaper

Why won't he say so?
BUA Group Chairman publicly accused CBN of giving only Dangote over 60% of total FX accessible by manufacturers nationwide. I expected CBN to refute them, but till today, silence.
Any body that collects all those $$ @ 199 and sells @ 320 will have enough money to be self-dependent in 2020, there's no magic needed.

Meanwhile, can anybody tell me why cement shouldn't be selling @500/bag in this country? Monoploy is bad!
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by ODUBEZE: 7:56pm On Mar 09, 2016
excellentmomma:

You didn't understand BLINGZ88 , he was just being sarcastic. Read his post again
I know. Funny comment. Got me laughing. Just making my own contribution!
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by Akious2k2(m): 11:00pm On Mar 09, 2016
dowjones:

Nice one.

Dangote's Nigeria
Sadly, Nigerians have come 2 terms dat dis same dangote has reduced d number of unemployed graduates roaming d streets, since our governments have refused 2 provide jobs on a leveled play ground... Instead, dey keep looting our common wealth & sending it abroad
Re: Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos by nigeriaartist: 2:49pm On Aug 25, 2016
Dangote portrait painting.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Banks Heading For ‘recapitalisation’ / Jason Njoku: "Why Konga Was Sold To Zinox" / FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.