Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,981 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot (39173 Views)

Wande Abimbola: "I Was Ridiculed For Returning Home A Poor Senator" / $550m Abacha Loot: Fed Govt Set To Clear Hurdles / Swiss Govt Holds Talks With Nigeria On Repatriation Of Fresh $321m Abacha Loot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by macino1(m): 7:50am On Mar 09, 2016
This is a welcome development even though the condition may be intruding the independence of a State. However, it is better than to have the fund re-looted locally.
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by bigval(m): 8:05am On Mar 09, 2016
1km of railway is $4M, oya calculate from where to where
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by jahsharon: 8:11am On Mar 09, 2016
APCcrimesHD:
buhari no go like dese conditions at all grin

For him mind, na chop and go...no time grin

The same way Buhari gave Abacha recovered loot to ATM- Sambo Dasuki to be sharing to everybody that shouted PDP. Your case is pathetic.

1 Like

Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by wristbangle: 8:19am On Mar 09, 2016
Atimes I couldn't but say that corruption is part of the genetic makeup of most Nigerians. I know that this money will be looted no matter how they monitored it's spending for infra structural development.
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by brunofarad(m): 8:29am On Mar 09, 2016
Interesting
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by YelloweWest: 8:30am On Mar 09, 2016
jumobi1:
Conditions ke? After accruing interest on our money you want to give conditions? I know our government can't be trusted but we shouldn't be given conditions. All the Swiss should do is ebcourage the government to use it wisely.
Did they even adjust the $$ for inflation?

Our leaders are stu.pid that's why..
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by Lilimax(f): 8:33am On Mar 09, 2016
Abacha loot ke?
I thought he didn't steal embarassed
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by Leke001: 8:33am On Mar 09, 2016
my point exactly...benefitting Nigerians;every other cause is secondary,thats my take on this.
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by Cutehector(m): 8:33am On Mar 09, 2016
321million dollars.

I think the money should be invested solely in local content manufacturing..
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by rottennaija(m): 8:34am On Mar 09, 2016
APCcrimesHD:

IPOB, must you comment?

2 Likes

Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by BABANGBALI: 8:35am On Mar 09, 2016
Abeg return our money make we chair am
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by hollywater: 8:35am On Mar 09, 2016
Nice one from Switzerland. They use it to build railway for please.
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by ogahomale: 8:36am On Mar 09, 2016
APCcrimesHD:

him dey craze
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by 0gbeni(m): 8:36am On Mar 09, 2016
Great gesture by the Swiss smiley

Would suggest that part of the money be used to upgrade our hospitals. $321m can really do a lot
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by greatbrian(m): 8:37am On Mar 09, 2016
I thought buhari said abacha never stole anything so wia z dz all coming from now

1 Like

Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by WinkWrld: 8:37am On Mar 09, 2016
Why can't we Nigerians vote on the project we need and let there be public legal tender. It should be open for the public. While the world bank finance and inspect the project personally. We cannot be trusted with money anymore.

1 Like

Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by shamecurls(m): 8:37am On Mar 09, 2016
APCcrimesHD:

Have u eaten this morning?
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by larrytorch(m): 8:38am On Mar 09, 2016
Adminisher:

World Bank and IMF are failure institutions. A country with talent like Nigeria should have an independent and superior point of view like Iran, India, Russia, China . We are too weighty to be pushovers . The only thing we got from NOI connections was 'fast money' and they have removed all that for higher returns in countries that their economies are not driven by oil like India
This is a good thing. All Nigeria needs is some DEVELOPMENT ECINOMICS not financial complexities that are not adding value.

We need ministers who think and do like Dangote . Practical implementation skills like the Chinese instead of commercial products that only yield on businesses like fuel importation or contracts with oil and gas companies.

The only talent we have is corruption... We r very good at this and we have no match
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by Truckpusher(m): 8:38am On Mar 09, 2016
StOla:
They have realised that the Jonathan regime re-looted the returned Abacha loot that was returned, by using the funds to buy "arms" for electoral warfare.

They must now think that Africans,both the leadership and followers, must be truly incapable of running a civilised society.

Next they will ask to colonise Africans again - a request that has more merits than demerits.
Sad ugly truth you just said.
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by Philinho(m): 8:39am On Mar 09, 2016
They should bring d money with interest joor...
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by bmaks: 8:40am On Mar 09, 2016
Greyworld:
Switzerland has given conditions for repatriating $321m looted fund to Nigeria.

Part of the conditions is that the fund will be used for projects that will benefit Nigerians and they (the projects) must be monitored by the World Bank.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffery Onyeama said that the government was working on the modalities for the repatriation.

Speaking shortly after holding a meeting with the Swiss Foreign Minister, Didier Burkhalter, on Tuesday in Abuja, Onyeama explained that Nigeria had signed an agreement with the Swiss government in the area of human right and migration.

He said, “It is $321m that we are looking at repatriating to Nigeria and the modalities are basically legal framework for that, mutual legal assistance framework that we are trying to put in place and there are pre-conditions that are also in place already and this requires monitoring mechanism.

“So, we have to agree beforehand as a pre-condition on what the money would be used for and the World Bank would be part of the monitoring process to ensure that the money is used for the benefit of Nigerian people.”

The Minister stated that Burkhalter’s visit was significant as it marked the commencement of the fund repatriation process, noting that other looted funds may be discovered in hidden accounts in Swiss banks.

Burkhalter said his country and Nigeria have a very constructive relation, adding that Switzerland planned to open a consulate in Lagos that would boost economic relations between the two countries.

He said his country would repatriate $321mn to Nigeria and pledged Switzerland’s continued assistance to IDPs in the country.

“We would continue to help in the humanitarian assistance in the North, for those who are suffering and we would try to write another chapter of the history of illicit asset recovery and restitutions from Switzerland to Nigeria,” Burkhalter said.

Source>http://www.punchng.com/switzerland-gives-nigeria-conditions-for-returning-321m-abacha/

the condition to use the money for Nigeria's development make sense ooooo but how about we giving them a condition that the money must be paid with all the interest accrued since its deposition

1 Like

Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by Nobody: 8:41am On Mar 09, 2016
Should we thank Abacha for saving the money for a dry period as this??!

Thanks to Swiss Govt for that condition.
Now is the time for Buhari to use that money to paint back his fading name into our hearts...

I P ray they make wonderful decisions in the interest of the masses
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by olaitan9291(m): 8:42am On Mar 09, 2016
APCcrimesHD:

Give us evidence to buttress your point that, Buhari's mind is to chop and go.
And also proof to us that Bukhari has involved in fraud or corruption case in the past.

Thank you.
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by Deen77: 8:43am On Mar 09, 2016
Abacha never travel to Swiss, how come !!

#multinational settlement#.
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by Nobody: 8:43am On Mar 09, 2016
Sincerely, I DONT TRUST ANY POLITICIAN again! Even d CHANGE i voted is a scam!!...wB should assist nig. Build infrastructures with d loot!!!
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by samento: 8:43am On Mar 09, 2016
APCcrimesHD:

As your PDP did.
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by Toks2008(m): 8:43am On Mar 09, 2016
BigIyanga:
" Abacha was not corrupt" GMB

But for the way the loothed funds were relooted,we would have said GOD used abacha to save our money for times like this...

The questions i really still dont have answers to are...

1.How much was really looted by Abacha?
2. How many banks are having the looted funds and in how many countries?
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by goshen26: 8:44am On Mar 09, 2016
I'm happy the whole world know that our leaders are greedy, wicked and self centred. Good one from Switzerland.
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by 2sexycom(m): 8:44am On Mar 09, 2016
Owoloku1:
I don't see what else the money should be used for besides projects and development that will benefit the entire Nigerian populace..therefore I think that's a good condition.
what were the past returned loots used for? Did you know? I think the swiss has seen that all others were squandered heartlessly, hence the conditions. Which I really like anyway.
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by orlarbissy(f): 8:44am On Mar 09, 2016
BigIyanga:
" Abacha was not corrupt" GMB
He was saving the money for future Nigerians abi?
Re: Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot by Wizabakar(m): 8:45am On Mar 09, 2016
APCcrimesHD:

**** u know Buhari is not lyk u people n u still accuse him of such ur attitude. U better change for gud. #Southeastppl

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Femi Fani-Kayode, His Wife Precious & Son Aragorn In Adorable Family Photos / Dons Udeh Is Dead! Missing Enugu APGA Governorship Aspirant Found Dead / Governor Obaseki Visits Lady Mechanic's Workshop - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.