Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,932 members, 7,814,164 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? (10181 Views)

The Figurine 'araromire' (a Film By Kunle Afolayan) / Nigerian Home Video Titles / Osoufia in London: Nigerian Home Video/VCD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by yemivictor: 4:38pm On Nov 06, 2006
what is the difference between a film and a home video?. i seem to be at a loss!
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by gbadex1(m): 10:20pm On Nov 06, 2006
Home videos are those daft, imbecilic, retarded, stereotypical "movies" Nollywood makes. They are basically shot with cam-corders and any photographer/ video-recorder hustling by the roadside can be the director of photography of any of this retarded "movies".

Films- movies shot basically with celluloid (e.g american movies), they are more technical, and the crew is more professional.

Films are usually released in theaters and afterwards on dvd and vhs.
Home videos are released straight away to vcd and are basically worthless piles of crap

Nollywood home video - "eh chibuzor, we have displeased the gods, we have to consult the dibia"

2 year old baby - "Aaargh, my ears are bleeding!!"
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by mamaput(f): 10:56pm On Nov 06, 2006
I thought home videos are more like family films that you make at home , or at a party more like the private thing

Then you have films.
Films that are not good enough never find their way to the cinima.
They end up as vidos or dvds without ever having been in cinima.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by Seun(m): 8:23am On Nov 07, 2006
Home videos in the traditional sense are family movies recorded on $500 camcorders - like "my daughter's first birthday", "our son's first steps", "our daughter's 16th birthday", "our daughter's graduation" et cetera.

Film is a format used to create all international movies in prehistoric times.

The two are now converging. ($50k) camcorders are often used in movie production these days. E.g. Star Wars.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by SeyiJay(m): 10:13am On Nov 07, 2006
I want to agree with Gbade's opinion on home videos [or whatever u can call them] as being a bunch of worthless crap - boy! the guy must really hate the guts of H.V. producers. I don't blame him, considering the mess we see on TV these days.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by Jalal(m): 7:43pm On Nov 08, 2006
For once i agree with Gbade.x grin grin grin
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by gbadex1(m): 8:32pm On Nov 08, 2006
Lmao @ jalal. . .
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by iice(f): 4:48pm On Nov 10, 2006
Loved gbade's explanation. Very funny and sooo true grin grin
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by Orikinla(m): 11:22am On Nov 24, 2006
Is it not hypocritical to to say you agree with Gbade and you also drool over Ramsey Noah, Jim Iyke, Pat Atta, RMD and rave about Genevieve Nnaji, Omo Sexy, Rita (Who say I dey bleach?) Dominic and other Nollywood stars?

Seun explained it.

Nollywood electronic good traders never pretend to copy Hollywood or Bollywood. Because, from the beginning, they called their B-movies home videos until the actors and actresses started growing wings posing and posturing as film stars with thanks to Naijarules and Nairaland for making them celebrities in the global village.
Put 90% of them on the live theatre and they will fail to deliver their lines.

It is only in Nigerian movies I see men who are over 30 acting as kids, because they are midgets.
But for how long will they continue to act as little kids?

But, the problem of Nollywood is not the confusion over film or video.
But the general abuse and misuse of the film industry that has made them not to even qualify to be screened at Cannes where other African countries have been screening their films for years.

Nigerians made so much noise about Dangerous Twins and other popular Nollywood movies, but none of them passed the screening tests at the major film festivals in the world.
Even where there were video categories, Nigerian home videos did not qualify for screening.

You see actors playing rich men sweating profusely in their palatial homes and drinking cheap Five Alive juice and other cheap drinks. And trained eyes see that these actors and actresses cannot act, because Genevieve Nnaji and Rita Dominic cannot act as the daughters of a rich man. They talk as they have been talking from their days in the ghettos of Surulere.
Emeka Enyiocha acts exactly as he behaves at home with the same thick Igbo accent in his English.

Paris Hilton is from a very wealthy family and she is acting.
But can you see any daughter of Tejuosho, Ibru or Igbinedion acting in Nollywood?

The camera is not the issue.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by gbadex1(m): 11:46am On Nov 24, 2006
Lmao!! Hey orinkinla, my post as well explained it! My post is a generalization of what u just said.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by gbadex1(m): 11:47am On Nov 24, 2006
Lmao!! Hey orinkinla, my post as well explained it! My post is a generalization of what u just said.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by KD69(m): 6:05pm On Nov 24, 2006
The movies are soooooo bad that grown men sit in front of their computers discussing them. Rita Dominic, Omotola and Genevieve are such bad actors yet people keep writing about them and even boast of their email chat with them. Nigerian movies are terrrrrrrrrible
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by Seun(m): 8:11am On Nov 25, 2006
People like to complain about good things. It's one of the joys of life. grin
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by Orikinla(m): 1:27pm On Nov 25, 2006
Gbade, I am not saying you are wrong.
I am saying that the replies should be rational.

If Emeka Enyiocha speaks with a thick Igbo accent, you don't blame him, because the director should know better.

If a film is bad, the director is not competent.

If actors are sweating in their palatial homes, the director is to blame for failing to make sure that the place is well ventilated.

If Genevieve Nnaji and Rita Dominic don't know how to play the daughters of rich men, the director is to blame for not directing them well during rehearsals.

They don't do enough enough rehearsals before shooting and they also rush their takes and end up rushing the editing as well.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by moleepaiko(m): 5:07pm On Nov 25, 2006
I like Gbade's 'definitions' of films and home videos. He has allowed both his academic prowess and personnal loathing of the Nigerian movie industry to feature in it prominently.
In as much as it is traditional to educate ourselves on topics of mass interest, I believe from time to time, we should allow people know from what point of view we are speaking. I will never risk adding anything else in an attempt to address the question asked, I would rather tag along with Gbade's views, to make myself vulnerable to more attacks from people who always choose to sit on the fence. are u one?
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by soulpatrol(f): 11:41pm On Nov 25, 2006
it would probably help if the actors protest about working conditions before they accept a role in a movie. for example, not accepting a role if there isn't proper ventilation, camera lights and angles, proper make up, costume, things like that. event the script. its like they dont even read the crappy script before acting in it. people like RMD used to be in the best of movies, now for some reason, he's taking on crappy roles. he should be more than what he is now. i wish he has some international recognition because he's such a good actor. but then again, everyone is trying to feed themseves now abi? there are just too many problems with our movie industry. i wonder how we even got to be #3? undecided
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by niyyie(m): 8:32am On Nov 26, 2006
soulpatrol:

, i wonder how we even got to be #3? undecided
Ever heard of the phrase "mass production?

They rush to produce the home videos, with minimum budget, thus the low quality. They produce so many videos, each year. They got to #3 based on quantity not quality. Got it now? wink
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by kimba(m): 6:44pm On Nov 26, 2006
Seun:

Home videos in the traditional sense are family movies recorded on $500 camcorders - like "my daughter's first birthday", "our son's first steps", "our daughter's 16th birthday", "our daughter's graduation" et cetera.

Film is a format used to create all international movies in prehistoric times.

The two are now converging. ($50k) camcorders are often used in movie production these days. E.g. Star Wars.

Is it the fact/not that a movie/film or whateva was recorded with a cam-corder that makes it a homevideo?

without content, whether it was recorded with a cam-corder or in an international format, such a movie is still crap.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by gbadex1(m): 8:14pm On Nov 26, 2006
. . .and thus gbade. x's explanation is the best. cheesy

everybody give it up for the G-man!
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by ohilebo(m): 10:01am On Nov 28, 2006
what difference does it make? i can get some entertainment from any, so far they are all on screen. cool
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by Gaxton(m): 1:16pm On Nov 28, 2006
Difference b/w home Videos and Movies:

It's quite clear that an average Nigerian or Nollywood director is hustlin 4 just one thing; Money. They are not

interested in that word in quotes "MOVIE" A film that moves you, Just take a good look at the movie MATRIX, not so

many pple understand the film but Many many pple have watched it just for entertainment sake and that should be a

director's drive not money,

If the Nigerian directors orientation/mentality will change concerning the so-called home videos then we will have a

course to smile while watchin Nigerian movies,

Nigerian Actors and Directors Pls stop COPY COPY and draw from the God given creativity inside u!
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by BlackMamba(m): 4:09pm On Nov 29, 2006
FILM AND VIDEO
The reason most video looks nothing like a film you would see in a cinema is because the footage wasn't shot using actual film. The majority of blockbusters in cinemas use 35mm film to record all the images whereas most amateur film-makers, at most, can afford a video camcorder.

35mm film costs a fortune to buy and a fortune to run (we're talking hundreds of thousands of pounds/dollars). The reason they are so expensive? Because they are some damned good!
Film processes the picture information in a completely different way to video. It works in the same way as 35mm cameras (before the dawn of digital megapixel bollocks) except instead of capturing just one picture, it captures many, many pictures every second.

Film has a naturally sharp yet somehow smooth appearance to it. It has a natural "grain" effect and other such "blemishes" which actually make the picture look rather quite nice.

However, video on the other hand - everything is digital these days. Images are compressed onto tapes, the image is sharp but lacks any detail. Cheaper camcorders offer really crap colour reproduction, poor performance in low light and so on. In short, they will never match 35mm film. Sure new high-definition camcorders are appearing on the market (at a price!) which are slowly closing the barrier between video and 35mm, but we're still a long way away.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by jimaj4life(m): 10:41am On Dec 04, 2006
i love this topic
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by stanech: 9:55pm On Dec 05, 2006
I like this topic
Becos anytime I dey watch Naija drama na so so laugh i dey laugh. Na comedy them just dey act Imagine I dey watch one drama one day the microphone wey them dey use just dey surface for the screen. the thing dey so funny try watch their accident scene you go trip the cars no dey jam but people dey die Na god go help Nigerians wey they buy those drama
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by gbadex1(m): 10:07pm On Dec 05, 2006
Lmao! Now you see why i say they are retarded and imbecilic.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by osegwu(m): 1:05pm On Dec 06, 2006
You guys are funny. You don't like Home movies yet you
always watch? I don't have any comment to make ccos
I don't watch Home movies. I hate them with a passion.
God have mercy on me.

Still me
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by BlackMamba(m): 3:56pm On Dec 06, 2006
A lot of people have an inferior taste and appreciation of Art. We need them in Naija to sustain our fledging entertainment industry and make it grow to acceptable standards. May be then I'll join the bandwagon.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by simmy(m): 12:35pm On Dec 07, 2006
hey who's seen amazing grace?
it was shot on celluloid so its not home video, the acting and general production was a lot better thanthe normal crap u see in nollywood but a few n9ja factors still reared its ugly head to make it a below average movie
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by Seun(m): 8:50pm On Dec 07, 2006
So you think it's the celluloid that makes Amazing Grace a good movie?
How ridiculous. It's the theme and the script and the acting and cinematography.

Celluloid is just an expensive medium whose resolution is equivalent to HD video. The meat is in the content.
Shooting in film vs shooting in video makes little difference to the quality of the resulting VCD or DVD.

And you can shoot film quality on video (for cinema projection) by using an HD camcorder like the Cinealta.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by gbadex1(m): 11:36pm On Dec 07, 2006
Shooting in celluloid gives it that sharp contrast feel yet grainy in a way, in terms of picture quality. You're right. The koko lies in the theme, script, storyline and cinematography. But then, the picture quality celluloid/film offers as compared to home video plays an integral part in the cinematography and sh*t like that.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by Seun(m): 12:41pm On Dec 17, 2006
Ashley says:
I recently heard the renowned experimental filmmaker Su Friederich (http://www.sufriedrich.com/) speak in Philadelphia. She was visiting Temple University’s film program and gave a guest lecture about her work. After showing some clips from her most recent film, The Head Of A Pin, shot exclusively on video, she explained that she has officially made the so-called “switch” and is not going back to shooting on film.

Su summed up her reasons for the conversion by saying that, having made a number of films and achieved considerable success, she still had a hard time finding funding her films. At the age of 50, she’s sick of spending her life savings every time she wanted to make a new film. For her, video changed all that. For just $12, she says she could shoot for a few hours instead of cleaning out her bank account for the same amount of footage. And she’s willing to accept the differences in aesthetic between film and video for video’s convenience and accessibility.

Su cited other, more specific reasons for converting as well: the disappearance of the NEA and other film funding sources; diminished amounts of grant money being awarded (e.g. a grant in the 1980s that would award $300, 000 might now be closer to $30,000); increased competition for the remaining number and amounts of film funding; and, of course, persistent rumors about film’s impending death once digital technology is improved.

I found her conversion (and her justification of it) all the more significant given the amount of her work that relies on the qualities of celluloid (i.e. scratching the film’s emulsion, optical printing, etc.) for its visual style and overall impact. If someone like Su Friederich is willing to make the switch, I imagine many more “accomplished” and veteran filmmakers will soon cross over to the “dark” side of video.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? by gbadex1(m): 1:58pm On Dec 17, 2006
In other she switched over because of the affordability. hmm. . .but then aesthetics can still be achieved with "video", though film's aesthetic is in sharp contrast to it. Veterans like Tunde Kelani uses video yet his movies are still top-notch .e.g. Oleku.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Learning TV Presenting In Nigeria / The Village Headmaster Returns To TV / Prison Break Season 3: Sarah Tancredi Beheaded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.