Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,938 members, 7,952,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:10 AM

Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem (7796 Views)

Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor / How To Know Signs Of A Bad Or Failing Abs Control Module / Peugeot 307: Solution To Anti Theft Warning Fault (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by lonelydora: 6:16pm On Mar 12, 2016
Good Day House.

Sometime ago I complain on this forum about my temperature rise whenever I travel like 100km with my a/c on and that the car moves as if there's a force holding it from moving, people were suggesting i change my radiator and thermostat.

Out of anger, I changed the front wheel hub, break caliper, break disc, and break pad when I noticed that the front driver-side wheel is always hot (almost red hot. I forgot to take a pix of the brake disc and caliper so that you see the brownish colour now, as if it has been red hot )when this temperature rise occurs.

The picture below is shows the temperature Gauge after about 83 miles.

2 Likes

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by mayor2013: 6:22pm On Mar 12, 2016
lonelydora:
Good Day House..

No precise info
Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:46pm On Mar 12, 2016
lonelydora:
Good Day House.

Sometime ago I complain on this forum about my temperature rise whenever I travel like 100km with my a/c on and that the car moves as if there's a force holding it from moving, people were suggesting i change my radiator and thermostat.

Out of anger, I changed the front wheel hub, break caliper, break disc, and break pad when I noticed that the front driver-side wheel is always hot when this temperature rise occurs.

The picture below is shows the temperature Gauge after about 83 miles.

remove thermostat and test.

2 Likes

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by lonelydora: 6:48pm On Mar 12, 2016
Now the culprit is the ABS light which has been illuminated for a very long time on the cluster, which my mechanic suspected when I came back from Umuahia.

NOTE: I have scanned the car several times and the only code that comes up is the oxygen bank sensors.

Yesterday, I called Gazzuzz and he told me exactly what my mechanic said that we need to bypass the ABS control module for the mean time pending when I get the module.

The pictures below explains the whole job done by my mechanic today

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by lonelydora: 6:57pm On Mar 12, 2016
He connected all the brake linings to this two valves and bypassed the ABS control module.

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by lonelydora: 7:09pm On Mar 12, 2016
After the job was done, The ABS light cleared even without resetting it.

NOTE: We called Aba and Ikoku spare part markets and they said we can only get it in Onitsha.

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:

1. IS THERE ANY CONSEQUENCE OF USING THIS BYPASS METHOD. SHOULD I BE WORRIED?

2. HOW MUCH AND WHERE CAN I GET THIS ABS CONTROL MODULE IN NIGERIA?

3. MY MECHANIC SAID I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO GET A BRAND NEW ONE OF IT EXCEPT I ORDER FROM ABROAD, WHICH I CAN'T DO NOW BECAUSE OF THE DOLLAR RATE. CAN'T I GET A NEW ONE IN NIGERIA?

4. DO I CONTINUE TO USE THIS BYPASS METHOD AS A PERMANENT OR TEMPORARY SOLUTION?

I WILL TRAVEL NEXT WEEKEND TO ENUGU TO TEST-RUN IF THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED.

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by lonelydora: 9:34pm On Mar 12, 2016
Gazzuzz, Siena, kingreign, Ikenna351, mayor2013, luvinhubby, honmusa, Denn and all cartalk gurus, abeg make una comment nah.
Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by cocoduck: 7:49am On Mar 13, 2016
look put your car back to the way the factory built the car, you should do a live data scan, the bad component will show up, ie if its one of the Wheel speed sensors yow will see it on the scan tool, because its reaction will be different from the other sensors then check the that sensor or the tone ring which it monitors.
Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by Nobody: 12:50pm On Mar 13, 2016
Your car is now no different or probably worse (depending on how properly fixed the bypass is) than a 1970s Peugeot 504 in terms of braking ability.
If you need to make a sudden stop, your vehicle will most likely skid unless you pump the brakes consecutively.
Now, it is left to you to judge if it is anything to worry about.
If you wish to fix the issue, it can be done & parts can be sourced from scrap vehicles if the new ones are not readily available.

2 Likes

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:59pm On Mar 13, 2016
the car below left the factory without an ABS module. If your abs pump is bad, you did good by bypassing it. The only difference you will experience is lack of the anti lock function, so drive careful and you will be ok. Our father's and their peugeot 504s and 505s never had abs and did pretty well on the highways.

6 Likes

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by lonelydora: 5:39pm On Mar 13, 2016
GAZZUZZ and Orex, thanks for the reply. I drove around town today and the braking was just normally. I have not had cause, at least, for now to do a hard braking.

By next weekend, i will give you guys reply on my experience at the highway. For now everything is just fine. Car movement very okay and better than before.

GAZZUZZ, once again thanks for your advice.
Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by cocoduck: 9:21pm On Mar 13, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
the car below left the factory without an ABS module. If your abs pump is bad, you did good by bypassing it. The only difference you will experience is lack of the anti lock function, so drive careful and you will be ok. Our father's and their peugeot 504s and 505s never had abs and did pretty well on the highways.
Good technicians do not bypass systems especially systems like ABS, the engineers that build it are not stupid, a good technician strives to put a car in the factory specs, what then is the difference between you and the shade tree kazeem? Maybe the scan to used on the car can only detect generic DTCs, which explains why they could only find 02 codes, even if you don't find any code relating to ABS, as far as the scan tool is ABS capable, you go to live data and see exactly what is going on or wrong. ABS in some instances become life savers, so it is not something a modern driver should do without.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by oluwaseunla(m): 9:39pm On Mar 13, 2016
cocoduck:
Good technicians do not bypass systems especially systems like ABS, the engineers that build it are not stupid, a good technician strives to put a car in the factory specs, what then is the difference between you and the shade tree kazeem? Maybe the scan to used on the car can only detect generic DTCs, which explains why they could only find 02 codes, even if you don't find any code relating to ABS, as far as the scan tool is ABS capable, you go to live data and see exactly what is going on or wrong. ABS in some instances become life savers, so it is not something a modern driver should do without.

But I thought they pointed out that he has a bad ABS pump, which they've not been able to source locally. In the circumstance, I think a bypass makes sense to make the car drivable until a replacement is got. Is there something I'm missing here

6 Likes

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:48pm On Mar 13, 2016
cocoduck:

ABS unit faulty. Will you open it with a screwdriver and fix it? We are not talking speed sensors here. The location and availability of parts matters. As the vehicle is, it is very safe to drive, as log as there are no leaks. As soon as he can buy the ABS unit, every thing done is reversible. Factory specs are good, but when it comes to choosing weather to park a car and trek to fulfill factory specifications, then it kills the point of buying the car in the first place. It's good to be practical sometimes.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by leuelliot(m): 11:21pm On Mar 13, 2016
would it work? yes. Is it ideal ? No. is it safe? No. Has it been done before? Yes. Are some comments/suggestions half baked? Yes. Hey whatever floats your boat. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:27am On Mar 14, 2016
Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by lonelydora: 11:13am On Mar 14, 2016
Remember I said temporary solution pending when I get the module. I can't just park the car because of this ABS issue.

My mechanic will be in Onitsha soon to check If he can get it there.

I'm not buoyant enough at least for now to ask Siena to send it for me because of the dollar rate.

Thank you all for your comments.

1 Like

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by Nobody: 11:55am On Mar 14, 2016
your abs module used to be between 8-15k in Onitsha before the dollar rise.
go with your sample or part number

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by cocoduck: 11:57am On Mar 14, 2016
lonelydora:
Remember I said temporary solution pending when I get the module. I can't just park the car because of this ABS issue.

My mechanic will be in Onitsha soon to check If he can get it there.

I'm not buoyant enough at least for now to ask Siena to send it for me because of the dollar rate.

Thank you all for your comments.
then park that killing machine
Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by cocoduck: 12:05pm On Mar 14, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

ABS unit faulty. Will you open it with a screwdriver and fix it? We are not talking speed sensors here. The location and availability of parts matters. As the vehicle is, it is very safe to drive, as log as there are no leaks. As soon as he can buy the ABS unit, every thing done is reversible. Factory specs are good, but when it comes to choosing weather to park a car and trek to fulfill factory specifications, then it kills the point of buying the car in the first place. It's good to be practical sometimes.
I did nor read from what he wrote that he tested the pump and it did not work, he said he changed wheel and etc, but we know well that in those parts he changed there is something called wheel speed sensor, did he test to see if the senor or sensors are not reporting to the computer? ABS pump is a top Dollar part, so you will need to test everything properly before changing anything, and in this case you will need a wiring diagram to know exactly what wires to feed 12v to. He will be dissapointed if after changing that pump the fault remains, that is what I talking about.
Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by kingreign(m): 1:23pm On Mar 14, 2016
cocoduck:

Mr man, so because of ABS bypass he should park his vehicle?
Do you know alot of cars DON'T use ABS system?
Some camry's till 06 MY, Corolla till 08 MY anmongst others?

Abeg no start this kind talk, na oversabi dey embarrass people.

2 Likes

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by leuelliot(m): 1:27pm On Mar 14, 2016
As long as you didn't install a proportioning valve or bias the brake pressure forward avoid panic stops, else if your rear wheels lockup your name has changed to sorry.
Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by earthrealm(m): 1:54pm On Mar 14, 2016
i think what gauzz did is acceptable, though if you are OCD, u may wish to park the car.....from the lil i hv seen, upto 30% of cars on nigerian rds dont hv functioning abs,...thats why u see/hear the tyre skidding when u attempt emergency braking....................very very wrong.
gauzz has educated him on what to do, and he shud b fine.............when i had similar brake booster issues on my truck, i drove it for more than 5wks......n it was a lot worse, being that my abs/brake/MC/brake booster are tied together...........thus u need to exert massive force to stop the car then,...i did fine..drove slowly..was very alert, didnt kill or bash any1....and always gave the car in my front ample space...especially in hold ups

2 Likes

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:07pm On Mar 14, 2016
will not comment on this thread any more. If you have an airbag light please park your car it's not safe to drive.

5 Likes

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by cocoduck: 2:34pm On Mar 14, 2016
kingreign:

Mr man, so because of ABS bypass he should park his vehicle?
Do you know alot of cars DON'T use ABS system?
Some camry's till 06 MY, Corolla till 08 MY anmongst others?

Abeg no start this kind talk, na oversabi dey embarrass people.
no problem o na fly wey no get ear they follow dead body enter grave, the day you hear kpoi name im you go understand. Anything can happen, those engineers that built it are not stupid.
Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by lonelydora: 3:13pm On Mar 14, 2016
cocoduck:

What's the difference between the bypass now and when the ABS light is illuminated on the cluster before the bypass?
Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by lonelydora: 3:19pm On Mar 14, 2016
cocoduck:

I did nor read from what he wrote that he tested the pump and it did not work, he said he changed wheel and etc, but we know well that in those parts he changed there is something called wheel speed sensor, did he test to see if the senor or sensors are not reporting to the computer? ABS pump is a top Dollar part, so you will need to test everything properly before changing anything, and in this case you will need a wiring diagram to know exactly what wires to feed 12v to. He will be dissapointed if after changing that pump the fault remains, that is what I talking about.

The problem is not the speed sensors. I understand how you feel concerned for me base on the safety issues. Thanks for that. I will be driving defensively. I won't exceed 120km/hr max. on the highway until I change the Module.

Gazzuzz and my mechanic said exactly the same thing, meaning they have been doing the job for so many people and never had complain.

Why don't I park the car because my SRS or CEL is illuminated?
Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by cocoduck: 5:05pm On Mar 14, 2016
lonelydora:

The problem is not the speed sensors. I understand how you feel concerned for me base on the safety issues. Thanks for that. I will be driving defensively. I won't exceed 120km/hr max. on the highway until I change the Module.

Gazzuzz and my mechanic said exactly the same thing, meaning they have been doing the job for so many people and never had complain.

Why don't I park the car because my SRS or CEL is illuminated?
I like doing a thorough testing before I change anything, I hate parts changers and their swaptronics, by the time you realize what is happening you have already spent so much money enough to buy you a new car.

1 Like

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by OkeyUK: 11:31pm On Mar 27, 2016
Faulty speed sensor; it also act as ABS sensor or a kaput ABS module may be the problem.
Cheap Bluetooth Scanner it's not enough to read ABS module, transmission codes. They are good for emission related issues to an extent.
ABS is useful for snow and frozen Road surfaces, I don't think it's much of a problem in Nigeria. Unless it's a performance car where the input are needed to make sure you don't have an accident for example, a sensor measures the steering angle if it detects the car is not in a direction of the steering input, it'll act on individual brakes to "help" ensure the car obey the steering input, only if you drive like a racer.

1 Like

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by Flexherbal(m): 6:20am On Mar 28, 2016
lonelydora:
GAZZUZZ and Orex, thanks for the reply. I drove around town today and the braking was just normally. I have not had cause, at least, for now to do a hard braking.

By next weekend, i will give you guys reply on my experience at the highway. For now everything is just fine. Car movement very okay and better than before.

GAZZUZZ, once again thanks for your advice.
You really believed in this Gazzuzz and he delivered.

1 Like

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by lonelydora: 2:48am On Apr 08, 2016
Good Morning guys...... I don't want to create another thread on this issue. Problem has been successfully solved and ABS and TCS light cleared.

The ABS module which was bypassed, has been connected back and working fine.

After a thorough troubleshooting, the culprit to the caliper binding was a BLOCKED FLEXIBLE BRAKE HOSE to the front driver side wheel.

Also, the new ABS sensor which was on the front passenger side wheel wasn't working fine. After the scan I decided to put back the old sensor, and whooooo! the ABS light cleared without even using the scanner to erase it.

The scan pix attached below was done after the ABS module was bypassed. Reason why the scanner is showing ABS pump failure.

Everything is working fine now except the warning ⚠ light which is still illuminated on the dash. I am yet to know why it's there.

Thanks to all the suggestions above especially all that was concerned about my safety. I must tell you the truth, FEAR NA HIM MAKE ME NEVER TRAVEL WITH CAR, but thank God all is well now.

1 Like

Re: Permanent/Temporary Solution To My ABS Problem by Nobody: 1:47pm On Apr 08, 2016
Are all your tyres in good shape, having the recommended pressure & of the same size?

(1) (2) (Reply)

FRSC Advocates Use Of Bicycles As Alternative Means Of Transport / Ford Working On Pothole Warning System For Drivers / Own A Nissan Pathfinder/xterra 05-11? Look Here Or Risk Transmission Failure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.