Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,257 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding (2007 Views)

What You Need To Know Before Learning A Programming Language. / Learning coding / What You Need To Know Before Learning A Framework (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding by Cyberrex(m): 7:34am On Mar 14, 2016
Guys, what are the things to know before learning how to code so as to make things easier
Re: Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding by Paulpaulpaul(m): 7:36am On Mar 14, 2016
Calculus
Re: Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding by Cyberrex(m): 7:38am On Mar 14, 2016
Okay, all aspect in caculus right
Re: Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding by Fulaman198(m): 8:05am On Mar 14, 2016
Paulpaulpaul:
Calculus

Not really, you can learn them side by side
Re: Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding by Fulaman198(m): 8:06am On Mar 14, 2016
Have a good plan to solve problems. Meaning that you can break up a problem in steps and solve each component. Think with the end in mind.

1 Like

Re: Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding by Knownpal(m): 8:47am On Mar 14, 2016
To make things easier, you must be ready to read books/tutorials and comprehend things no matter how small they are. I found out the knowledge of small things makes the making of bigger things easier, because bigger things comprises of smaller things you've learnt. If you really learn it well attending to all examples and exercises then its a win win. Like my boss said [Fulaman198], You must have a good plan to solve problems. The best way to learn is to look for problems in fact be a problem seeker rather than trouble seeker. It's good to have goals. e.g for this week I want to really learn Variables to the core, (A week might be too much just as an example, in any way pace yourself till you understand what's going on.). Another big thing I found out is that, since (or if) you're still learning at beginner pace, do solve your difficult questions yourself to an extent, before looking for solutions off the net and most time, you don't really need to ask anybody, google is now friendly these days. MyCents!

2 Likes

Re: Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding by mexzony: 11:21am On Mar 14, 2016
Knownpal:
To make things easier, you must be ready to read books/tutorials and comprehend things no matter how small they are. I found out the knowledge of small things makes the making of bigger things easier, because bigger things comprises of smaller things you've learnt. If you really learn it well attending to all examples and exercises then its a win win. Like my boss said [Fulaman198], You must have a good plan to solve problems. The best way to learn is to look for problems in fact be a problem seeker rather than trouble seeker. It's good to have goals. e.g for this week I want to really learn Variables to the core, (A week might be too much just as an example, in any way pace yourself till you understand what's going on.). Another big thing I found out is that, since (or if) you're still learning at beginner pace, do solve your difficult questions yourself to an extent, before looking for solutions off the net and most time, you don't really need to ask anybody, google is now friendly these days. MyCents!
You are absolutely right.I am currently reading a book fundamentals of computer programming with c# and goodness that book is all practical and I have solved all the problems up to chapter 6 all on my own no matter how long it takes me.I just finished solving a spiral matrix algorithm that took me 6 days to come up with and 3 days to debug.it took everything mentally from me as I was determined to come up with the solution all on my own as it helps to build my ability to think and solve problems as I move along.I feel a true sense of pride knowing I came up with the solutions all on my own.men it was not easy. I was exhausted most times sleeping late extremyl tired but it's worth it.
Beginners need to be patient and force themselves to think and come up with solutions no matter how long.
If and only if you have extremely tried to solve the program genuinely for some days and yet no breakthrough then you can ask for help.
For me anyway I decided that if I don't solve it all on my own I am not moving to the next chapter and no googling for me. grin.
It was tough but it was worth it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding by mexzony: 11:23am On Mar 14, 2016
Sometimes the funny thing is that the solution might just be a few lines of code but when you look at how long it took you. you just smile and tell your self this programming self na wa

2 Likes

Re: Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding by Cyberrex(m): 6:13pm On Mar 14, 2016
mexzony:

You are absolutely right.I am currently reading a book fundamentals of computer programming with c# and goodness that book is all practical and I have solved all the problems up to chapter 6 all on my own no matter how long it takes me.I just finished solving a spiral matrix algorithm that took me 6 days to come up with and 3 days to debug.it took everything mentally from me as I was determined to come up with the solution all on my own as it helps to build my ability to think and solve problems as I move along.I feel a true sense of pride knowing I came up with the solutions all on my own.men it was not easy. I was exhausted most times sleeping late extremyl tired but it's worth it.
Beginners need to be patient and force themselves to think and come up with solutions no matter how long.
If and only if you have extremely tried to solve the program genuinely for some days and yet no breakthrough then you can ask for help.
For me anyway I decided that if I don't solve it all on my own I am not moving to the next chapter and no googling for me. grin.
It was tough but it was worth it.
title of the book pls?
Re: Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding by mexzony: 6:45pm On Mar 14, 2016
Cyberrex:
title of the book pls?
Fundamentals of computer programming with c# by svektlin nakov and co.

2 Likes

Re: Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding by Cyberrex(m): 8:12pm On Mar 14, 2016
mexzony:

Fundamentals of computer programming with c# by svektlin nakov and co.
cost u how much?
Re: Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding by mexzony: 8:35pm On Mar 14, 2016
Cyberrex:
cost u how much?
Its free
Google is ur friend
Re: Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding by Nobody: 8:40pm On Mar 14, 2016
Cyberrex:
title of the book pls?

Grab yourself a free comprehensive JavaScript book that contains tips, tricks, examples and many more, It's called JavaScript slingshot (Or so) and can be downloaded at www.tutorialzine.com with a valid email address.

BTW coding is the thing itself, if there's any other thing you need before coding then it's determination and motivation, without those two..you'd drop off the coding bus even before you get to the first bus-stop.
Re: Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding by Nobody: 11:44am On Mar 16, 2016
Before learning code.

It's good you knw basic computer science.
Data structure.
How it works
Bytes
How processors/cpu works.

Don't jump on things like ruby on rails and all these crash online courses.

For me..
C
C++
Python
Java

1 Like

Re: Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding by webdevgod: 12:51pm On Mar 16, 2016
Cyberrex:
Guys, what are the things to know before learning how to code so as to make things easier

If you are good at algebra and have good logical thinking. You should be okay. You dont have to be a master in algebra, but if you understand the concept of variables, you have one of the many basics covered.

If you want to get into programming you want to understand these principles:
Variables
Arrays
Functions
If/else statements
For Loops

This should be a good starting point for you, after that you'll need to challenge yourself.

Im still pretty junior, and this what I have told by the seniors I work with.

A good source to learn the basics of coding would be codeacademy.com

(1) (Reply)

My ALX Data Science & Data Analytics Journey / I Need Someone To Get Me Sociosparta free Software / Any Blockchain Developer...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.