Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,758 members, 7,820,640 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH (7951 Views)

BIAFRA Vs Buratai: International Rights Group Release Evidence Against Army. / Funny Pictures From Sapele Protests Against Poor Power Supply And High Bills / Bello Addresses Protesters Over Poor Power Supply In Niger State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by rozayx5(m): 9:06am On Mar 14, 2016

The Committee for the Defence of Human Rights has called on the Federal Government to review the privatisation exercise in the power sector, which was meant to guarantee efficiency and value for service.

The organisation, which was reacting to the apology tendered by the Presidency over the government’s inability to meet the target for electricity supply, said it would on Wednesday “mobilise Nigerians for a nationwide protest against the power sector and other administrative lapses of the government.”

The President, CDHR, Mr. McMalachy Ugwummadu, who stated this in an interview with The PUNCH in Abuja, faulted the apology, saying it sent a signal that the government was not sensitive to the plight of the citizenry.

Other Nigerians on Sunday rejected the Federal Government’s apology for the deplorable supply of electricity and fuel across the country.

The Federal Government had on Friday apologised to Nigerians for the blackout and the accompanying hardship it had caused them.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Mr. Lai Mohammed, had said in a statement that efforts were being made to rectify the situation and ensure a gradual improvement in the power situation.

According to him, a combination of different incidents, including gas shortage, vandalism of gas pipelines, sabotage and protests by workers, are responsible for acute drop in power supply.

A lawyer and human rights activist, Mr. Ebun Adegboruwa, described the lamentation of the Presidency concerning the dwindling state of the power sector as “purely a joke taken too far.”

According to him, upon the inauguration of the present regime, power supply was above 4,000MW, with a promise of 20,000MW in four years as stated in the manifesto of the All Progressives Congress, adding that Nigeria could now hardly boast of 2,000MW.

Adegboruwa stated, “The so-called apology then becomes a gratuitous insult to all Nigerians in the absence of any direct responsibility for the blackout that Nigerians are currently experiencing. Thus, a mere apology, without any concrete solution on how to improve power supply, is to rub insult on the already battered life of our people.”

Another civil rights organisation, the Anti-Corruption Network, said the government should come up with a courageous new approach to power generation, distribution and delivery.

The Executive Secretary, ACN, Ebenezer Oyetakin, said, “Most recently, China and Britain entered into an agreement to build a nuclear power station in Britain. Nigeria should opt for nuclear power plant if we must easily exit from darkness and the accompanying industrial frustration. We should stop deceiving ourselves that we cannot maintain such or think it is a dangerous venture for us. No!”

meanwhile, power generation fell by 1,084.1 megawatts in the space of 24 hours between Saturday and Sunday, latest figures from the country’s power System Operator have shown.

After recording a peak of 4,182.9MW on Saturday, power generation dropped to 3,098.8MW as of 1.27pm on Sunday.

Although the latest power generation level is higher than the record low of 1,580.6MW that was recorded last Wednesday, figures from the System Operator on Sunday showed that electricity allocations to the distribution companies were still below normal.

For instance, the allocation to the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company as of 1.27pm on Sunday was 356.36MW, in contrast to a normal load allotment of 450MW.

Some officials of the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing as well as workers of the System Operator had told our correspondent that the fall in electricity generation prompted the reduction in the load allocated to the Discos, stressing that this was why many parts of the country had been in blackout in the past weeks.

The Federal Government on Sunday said it would deal ruthlessly with those who engage in pipeline vandalism.

In a statement made available in Abuja, Mohammed said the government would deal decisively with people who sabotage the nation’s power infrastructure, thereby inflicting untold hardship on Nigerians as a result of power failure and fuel shortages.

The minister said repeated attacks on oil and gas pipelines and the wilful shutdown of power facilities by protesters amounted to economic sabotage, which no government could tolerate.

http://www.punchng.com/rights-group-plans-protest-over-poor-power-supply/

1 Like

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by ojun50(m): 9:10am On Mar 14, 2016
They should go nd seat down sha they want change ni nd here it is

9 Likes

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by Iykopee(m): 9:15am On Mar 14, 2016
Silly joke of a govt known for it's loquaciousness and only acting when opposition members are involved..

1 Like

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by Tunami(m): 9:27am On Mar 14, 2016
everyday different wailing organisations are been emerged.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by TippyTop(m): 9:27am On Mar 14, 2016
Fashola has been a joke minister.

16 Likes

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by missKiffy(f): 9:34am On Mar 14, 2016
It's about time, power supply is erratic
Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by DaBullIT(m): 9:35am On Mar 14, 2016
Mr Lai Muhammed I agree with you that

a combination of different incidents, including gas shortage, vandalism of gas pipelines, sabotage and protests by workers, are responsible for acute drop in power supply.
and i am sure the problem is being rectified

But please for fucccks sake , don't ever say it's Only PDP that's suffering

Nigerians are suffering , and i voted for your party , I believe you will make a difference, I am sacrificing a lot by putting my hope in you

Do not disappoint me , fix power , fix petrol , tell china to give us refinery in exchange for crude for 10 years, call investors

But don't you ever in your life say it's Only PDP that's suffering

Thank you wink

I

10 Likes

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by Acidosis(m): 10:00am On Mar 14, 2016
Fashola would make a better Magistrate JUDGE at Ikoyi Magistrate.

A man who ought to be attending to divorce issues in court and joining celebrities in matrimony is made to spearhead the POWER SECTOR.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by Sijo01(f): 11:16am On Mar 14, 2016
Acidosis:
Fashola would make a better Magistrate JUDGE at Ikoyi Magistrate.

A man who ought to be attending to divorce issues in court and joining celebrities in matrimony is made to spearhead the POWER SECTOR.

This comment reminds me of the talk I had with my siblings on the issue of power yesterday.

I wonder the type of relationship a lawyer (SAN) have with power, works & housing. These are strictly the responsibilties of engineers. But our president choose to put a square peg in a round hole.

Seriously, power in this country have not degenerated enough. The worst is yet to come because fashola have no idea on what to do.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by joeprince23(m): 11:40am On Mar 14, 2016
This APC gang wants to completly destroy the little gains of the last administration, common even to maintain the 4900MW you inherited you can NOT! SHAME!!!!

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by Nobody: 12:34pm On Mar 14, 2016
DaBullIT:
Mr Lai Muhammed I agree with you that
and i am sure the problem is being rectified

But please for fucccks sake , don't ever say it's Only PDP that's suffering

Nigerians are suffering , and i voted for your party , I believe you will make a difference, I am sacrificing a lot by putting my hope in you

Do not disappoint me , fix power , fix petrol , tell china to give us refinery in exchange for crude for 10 years, call investors

But don't you ever in your life say it's Only PDP that's suffering

Thank you wink

I

IPOD wailer!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by pabiem: 1:59pm On Mar 14, 2016
crixtex:

IPOD wailer!!!
you are very correct.
it is very unprofessional to apportion blames and waste a lot of time doing nothing. pls, nigerians are suffering directly or indirectly Mr. Lai Muhammed and Ngige. work for the country is why you guys were given the chance and not just spell out nonsense pls.

3 Likes

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by DaBullIT(m): 5:41pm On Mar 14, 2016
Check all my comments
crixtex:

IPOD wailer!!!
Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by Opinedecandid(m): 5:59pm On Mar 14, 2016
No light.
No fuel.
No naira.
No jobs.
No new project.
No growing economy.
No president-staying-back-home-to-fix-things.
No money-thief convicted.
No economic team.

On the contrary,

More media advisers.

More image laundering.

More apologies.

More blame games.

More globe-trotting.

More economic nose-diving.

More lies.

More inexperienced and administrative errors displayed

More this, more that. More everything wrong and backward.

We were all alive in January 2012 or 2013, can't get it very correctly, when the likes of Prof. Wole Soyinka, other opinion leaders, NLC, TUC, et al with several rights groups did not need to wait for any planning when they hit the streets to launch fierce objections to President Goodluck Jonathan's little reduction of subsidy.

Where are they today?
Have they suddenly gone blind, deaf and dump?

Therefore, whatever groups you call yourselves, NLC, TUC, etc, you did not announce for long nor plan to announce to protest then, stop this feet-dragging and dilly-dallying, let us hear your stands.

Enough of hypocrisy!

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by drss(m): 5:59pm On Mar 14, 2016
wetin una expect when a super thief n his master in darkness ar in power, there will no light.

1 Like

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by drss(m): 6:06pm On Mar 14, 2016
joeprince23:
This APC gang wants to completly destroy the little gains of the last administration, common even to maintain the 4900MW you inherited you can NOT! SHAME!!!!
hahahahahaha APC govt will not add a single megawatts of power to d national grid. na lies n propaganda dem sabi.

9 Likes

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by Flexherbal(m): 7:21pm On Mar 14, 2016
It is long overdue.
Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by Obiwannn: 7:21pm On Mar 14, 2016
Chanji
Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by Obiwannn: 7:22pm On Mar 14, 2016
Tunami:
everyday different wailing organisations are been emerged.
Forms still dey?

5 Likes

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by looseweight: 7:22pm On Mar 14, 2016
Dont protest because rain has started falling grin

1 Like

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by ceejay80s(m): 7:22pm On Mar 14, 2016
Na now day break for their eyes
Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by adonbilivit: 7:22pm On Mar 14, 2016
Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by chinchum(m): 7:23pm On Mar 14, 2016
Na now dem wakeup to protest ?

one ugwumumuadu wants to lead the political protest, i am not surprised.
Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by Deen77: 7:24pm On Mar 14, 2016
Buhari Mr Miracle !!

They want new power plant under 10 months.
New refinery under 10 months
Diversify under 10 months.
Nuclear power plant under 10 months.

We're are all this people when PDP cannot archive this for 16 good years with excess crude oil price.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by PeteVlogger: 7:24pm On Mar 14, 2016
It's long over due
Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by SouthernBreeze(m): 7:24pm On Mar 14, 2016
Wailing is now a nationwide thing cheesy

1 Like

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by maxjax(m): 7:25pm On Mar 14, 2016
dem swear for this country shaaaaaaaa
Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by Akinz0126(m): 7:26pm On Mar 14, 2016
In Dagrin's Voice This is cracy-Demo not Democracy.For heaven sake how can you encourage us to pay exorbitant fee for darkness@ the expenses of stable electricity?Where is it done in the world?and instead of working tiredlessly to profer a lasting solution to this menace,you guys keeps the blame game on.....#TeamWhencoruptionIsFightingBack#
Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by dechriscool(m): 7:27pm On Mar 14, 2016
Naija is in for a long walk.We don't even know when we will arrive our destination.A government that doesn't take his responsibilities rather make blames will achieve nothing.A government that rules on deceit and lies.When realities surfaces will have no option to cover for the obvious.
GEJ we miss you,even the little you left behind have being thrown to the dust.We need prayer in naija now,we need prayer in naija now.

1 Like

Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by rawtouch: 7:28pm On Mar 14, 2016
Ok they better also wear work clothes and pick their tool boxes to fix the broken pipelines while they are at it....

We know what the problems are what we need is solution
Re: Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH by Tunami(m): 7:29pm On Mar 14, 2016
Obiwannn:
Forms still dey?
no e don finish.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do Our Political Parties Have Ideologies? / PDP Scores Buhari Zero In South West Development, Security / Nigeria Will Bounce Back In A Couple Of Months – Shettima

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.