Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,503 members, 7,861,440 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 12:22 PM

Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm (2860 Views)

N3.6tr Rail Contract Bypasses FEC Approval / Obasanjo Awarded $841.6m Rail Project Without Mou –chinese Firm / Reps Invite Amaechi Others Over Alleged N1trn Rail Contract Scam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by ahkameni: 11:57pm On Jul 21, 2009
yaradua is a fool period
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by Kobojunkie: 12:56am On Jul 22, 2009
Actually, when Obasanjo signed this deal some years ago, I was weary of the contract and the amount involved but definitely hopeful that this would turn out well since I had high hopes in the project and expected to invest if allowed to.
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by ezeagu(m): 12:58am On Jul 22, 2009
The rail way hasn't even been touched, so it ain't happenin'!
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by Gayigaskia(m): 1:02am On Jul 22, 2009
when are we ( Africans) gonna be able to be built anything ourselves? Did anybody saw the history of the building of the trans siberian in Russia?
I don't think our leaders are only to blame, we need to start asking the right questions.
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by Kobojunkie: 1:12am On Jul 22, 2009
Gayigaskia:

when are we ( Africans) gonna be able to be built anything ourselves? Did anybody saw the history of the building of the trans siberian in Russia?
I don't think our leaders are only to blame, we need to start asking the right questions.

I have watched a couple of videos on the building of rails and tunnels, and I am sorry, I do not have as much faith as you do in any built by Africans at this time. If we ever got to build one, I would wait a couple of decades before taking a ride on such. lol
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by Gayigaskia(m): 1:48am On Jul 22, 2009
I have watched a couple of videos on the building of rails and tunnels, and I am sorry, I do not have as much faith as you do in any built by Africans at this time. If we ever got to build one, I would wait a couple of decades before taking a ride on such. lol

I'am sorry but i don't understand why you won't use anything Africans built, what difference is there if Indians ,chinese or American built it. After all engineering is a science for all right? i know you are just kidding right?
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by Kobojunkie: 2:18am On Jul 22, 2009
Gayigaskia:

I'am sorry but i don't understand why you won't use anything Africans built, what difference is there if Indians ,chinese or American built it. After all engineering is a science for all right? i know you are just kidding right?

I ain't kidding and every honest Nigerian knows why!
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by hbrednic: 4:24am On Jul 22, 2009
I have this feelings that Nigeria is gething better lipsrsealed
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by samparian(m): 4:28am On Jul 22, 2009
Redman44:

The Railways project should be handed to the Canadians. The chinese and Indian guys will not provide the kind of modern infrastructure we need. Canada is a country with an advanced rail system and the Canadian government is good at partnering with developing nations to upgrade their infrastructure. I don't understand why our leaders always love to collaborate with Asian nations who dont really add value to our infrastructure. Lets call in the Canadians cool cool

They collaborate with the Asians because they are reliant and cheaper than over priced European companies in Nigeria who ran out of favour when IBB left office.

Please visit Hong Kong, China, Japan, India and see their rail networks. They are great. The subway/ trains is the best means of transport in these countries. Fast, neat and efficient.

The reason they've not done anything yet in Nigeria is because of corruption and lack of electricity.

Please, also visit Ghana and see how well the Chinese have progressed with work on Ghana rails.
Any Ghanaian here can attest to that.
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by naijaway(m): 5:14am On Jul 22, 2009
This is a good development only if other projects continue like roads, power supply and agriculture while this project get sorted out. In DC like some heard, two trains collided and one of the major criticism was that one of the train was an older model and was supposed to be phased out; The number of car trains to be phased out in the DC region are 100 and their replacement are 3millionUSD each. In Nigeria, with 8billionUSD and a well organized blue print, more of in house laborers, technicians, and a few expertise help, that rail and 300car trains should provide service with train stations and some routes underground, to atleast 30 train stations nationally with quality infrastructure. Am not talking about levitation locomotives but something with a maximum speed of 120mph.
To do a very vast porous network of railroads and rail cars will actually cost more than 8billionUSD by 3 to 4 times that. So for now say 30 stations in 20states with some states for now having more than 1 station and some states just having 1 station. some states will just be a pathway for the meantime because it should also be fast with a scenerio of going from Lagos to say benin shouldn't be more than two to three hours max and from Lagos to kano or PH shouldn't be more than 8hrs including maybe two to three stops along the way max. With the success of power, road network and the current rail project, they can now be moves of building freight lines, in state metro, and probably higher speed rails and many more maintanance measures.
This is a good development, and I don't think this should be a chinese project matter of fact it should be a Nigerian project but if we were to choose from outside i would hope they look to the US, Canada, or spain. Even if it were awarded to a Nigerian with a patriotic intention for the nation, I would still hope he picks an expert advice from one of the three nations i mentioned earlier. All those chinese and co, are like us in terms of novice, they are just doing anyhow maga and sometimes getting it right without any form of green mentality in mind or geological benefit in mind etc like giving an idea where it might not be as bad to go underground without damaging some kind of crust. China and their neighbors just want to sell the resources they have collected from us and our brothers and feeling good that all their maga is paying. Moreover, we don't want them to teach us, and somehow in the nearest future majority is messed up like the satelite story. We can always do and then let them come and patronize while they on vacation or hunting for contracts as usual.
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by Nezan(m): 10:18am On Jul 22, 2009
hbrednic:

I have this feelings that Nigeria is gething better lipsrsealed
In your dreamz!!
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by ikeyman00(m): 10:23am On Jul 22, 2009
[size=30pt]and lagos-kano

the most profitable margin they could think of in naija[/size]

some tribe are foooling around as always

build the trans-rail, then no passenger abi??

abeg MEND whey una de self
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by CGKing(m): 10:50am On Jul 22, 2009
By the way, I heard the 250millionUSD advance payment is non refundable?

Lord have mercy shocked
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by Redman44(m): 12:33pm On Jul 22, 2009
Like someone said earlier on, the chinese and other asians cannot be really trusted to execute a perfect job. Nigeria needs to start collaborating with countries like Canada and the scandinavian countries of Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland. Canada has a special interest in developing countries. When CANWEST was supplying NTA with programmes in the 80's and early 90's, NTA was the best in Children's entertainment. CANWEST'S programs were educative and very interesting. Where is NTA today? The Asians are in Africa to exploit us. They have their own agenda for Africa. Cheers.
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by sirt1(m): 3:23pm On Jul 22, 2009
@ All.

All these thieves will not allow Nigeria to progress but I know one day, bush meat go catch the hunters,
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by samparian(m): 3:41pm On Jul 22, 2009
Redman44:

Like someone said earlier on, the chinese and other asians cannot be really trusted to execute a perfect job. Nigeria needs to start collaborating with countries like Canada and the scandinavian countries of Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland. Canada has a special interest in developing countries.

I've used the subways in Hong Kong and China and they're great. Chinese firms are currrently working in Russia. The Russian military boots and kits are produced in China.

If you like invite contractors from another Planet, our politicians always ruin everything.

Redman44:

. When CANWEST was supplying NTA with programmes in the 80's and early 90's, NTA was the best in Children's entertainment. CANWEST'S programs were educative and very interesting. Where is NTA today? The Asians are in Africa to exploit us. They have their own agenda for Africa. Cheers.

We have talented and creative minds in Nigeria. We dont need to look outside for such. Our writers can do wonders and provide programmes which will be acknowledged internationally.

NTA is controlled by the government and also suffers from corruption.
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by Redman44(m): 4:22pm On Jul 22, 2009
I am wary of dealing with Asians. The Nigerian Government can go on and hire them. All what I just want to see in our politicians is sincerity of purpose and honesty. Cheers.
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by ikeyman00(m): 7:47pm On Jul 22, 2009
sing after me!!

called me a tribalstic , cuz im not, what do expect when some tribe sold our birth certificate of our children children to crrooked project and crook walked away with £1,000,000,000 sharp sharp without diggin a dine!!

no wonder they consider me irrational

nigeria feel me!!
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by omar22(m): 8:17pm On Jul 22, 2009
and why should that project be on lagos-kano

does the feasiblity study include all the econcomic-revenue generator in nigeria

if yes then lagos-kano= fraud

oduduwa should u wonder when u see MEND or Biafara agaitating, u look at them like they are mad ?? abi

NIgerIA with some trait

To build a railway line you need a "Core Route" like a London -Birmingham - Manchester, with this in place that when you could branch out other routes
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by ikeyman00(m): 9:46pm On Jul 22, 2009
and lagos-kano exclusive

na the best route

hmmm abeg MEND show up here
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by roodest: 9:20pm On Jul 24, 2009
What the Bleep are they suspending?!!! the project never commenced and it's been how many years now?!
ugh!
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by Nezan(m): 6:08pm On Jul 27, 2009
roodest:

What the mess are they suspending?!!! the project never commenced and it's been how many years now?!
ugh!
angry
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by Nobody: 1:17pm On Sep 17, 2010
where are we going now house
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by Kobojunkie: 2:22pm On Sep 17, 2010
Well, we have spent over $1 bilion after the suspension and still have nothing to show for it.  embarassed

I believe we might have been better off if we had continued the Rail Contract with the chinese and probably gotten half of the country lined and ready for more.
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by Nobody: 2:38pm On Sep 17, 2010
@Kobojunkie
I think the Major excuse that Yarauda gave then was that Fedral govenment cannot afford it, But i can tell you tht in the last 4 year they have lavish over $45 Billion dollars on project and expendicture that cannot be accotable for and i can confirm to you that 60% of the $45 Billions dollars end up in individual and private accounts.

Immediately i heard about that news on that day, i told everyone around me then that Yaradua does not have anything to offer Nigeria, because i have opportiunity to travel to China,Hoonk kong, Malayasia ,singapore and also India, I have seen the vital role that Railways transport place in making life cheaper ,which will allow alof of people to move around the country and also transportation of Goods and services.

Once again for Nigeria to move forward this Laundable project needs to be revisted ooohh.

That is my point
Re: Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm by Mariory(m): 5:00pm On Sep 17, 2010
barnabasj:

@Kobojunkie
I think the Major excuse that Yarauda gave then was that Fedral govenment cannot afford it, But i can tell you tht in the last 4 year they have lavish over $45 Billion dollars on project and expendicture that cannot be accotable for and i can confirm to you that 60% of the $45 Billions dollars end up in individual and private accounts.

Wow! $45 billion in 4 years? Where did you get this figure from?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Many Wives Does Babangida Have? / Cameroon: Breaking News ! Police Broke Up Anti- Biya Demonstrations In Douala / Refineries In Indonesia Is False - Build Up Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.