Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,232 members, 7,811,648 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:34 PM

List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women (4127 Views)

Senators Who Followed Saraki And Ekweremadu To Court Today (photos) / #operationcontactyoursenators See Responses Of Some Senators/Citizens (photos ) / Some Senators Are Planning To Impeach Buhari – Sen. Kwankwaso (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by segello: 4:13pm On Mar 15, 2016
The Nigerian Senate, today, voted against the Gender and Equal Opportunity (GEO) Bill. The bill could not pass the second reading after the Senate President, Bukola Saraki put the bill to vote with the “Nays” having it.

The GEO Bill seeks adoption of special temporary measures to eliminate discrimination and ensure equal opportunities for majority of Nigerians, while it also seeks appropriate measures against gender discrimination in political and public life and prohibitions of violence to women.

A host of Senators debated the bill on the floor today, giving differing opinions and views why the bill should or should not be passed, Here are some of their views;

Senator Bala Na’Allah spoke in support of the Bill. He said discrimination is a worldwide issue and the need for adequate measures about the need to protect the widowhood and inheritance rights of women.

>Deputy Senate President Ekweremadu spoke in support of the bill saying 70% of Nigerian Lawyers are women and there’s also a large percentage of female judges.
Senator Fatimat Rasaki said the Bill on gender and equal opportunity is long overdue.

Senate Leader Ndume spoke in support of the Bill. He says issues regarding widowhood, inheritance & divorce rights have to be sorted. He also said the challenge is the combination of our tradition and new religious beliefs affecting us.

Senator Garba Binta rose and spoke in support of the Gender and Equal Opportunity Bill. She totally supports the objectives.

Senator Rufai Ahmed rose and spoke against he Bill. He says the Nigerian Constitution is clear regarding the rights of individuals.

Senator Adamu Aliero also rose and spoke against the Bill. He pointed out that the Constitution gives each man or woman his rights.

Senator Emmanuel Bwacha spoke on the deep biblical and historical perspective and voted against the Bill.

There have been controversies about the GEO bill and the recent decision by the federal lawmakers have just sparked up a social media outcry as many believe it will limit the female gender.

In a statement made by someone on social media:

How can one explain to people that our lawmakers shut down Gender and Equality Bill using ‘Aye’ and ‘Nay’ only? In 21st Century? Disgraceful.

Furthermore, this could easily affect the fundamental human right in the country and might dent the chances to prevent violence against women leading to more “Ese Oruru’s”.

more on...http://nairametrics.com/senate-says-nay-to-equal-rights-for-men-women/
Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by samirchudi(m): 4:16pm On Mar 15, 2016
guess is only d paedophiles from one part of the zoo...👳

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by Mikehell(m): 4:18pm On Mar 15, 2016
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by cckris: 4:27pm On Mar 15, 2016
Sinator Emmanuel Bwacha, bearing a Christian name that guarantees his right to life, then votes against women's right to be institutionally encouraged to also aspire in life.
Everyone can now see how Northern Christians collaborate with their Moslem friends to frustrate the progress of 50% of Nigerians.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by porshuch: 4:48pm On Mar 15, 2016
samirchudi:
guess is only d paedophiles from one part of the zoo...👳
so you're not aware that Enugu state assembly refused to pass the bill. Check Hon udeokoye from awgu, before you start throwing stones.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by oduastates: 4:48pm On Mar 15, 2016
Backwardness

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by wasco24: 4:58pm On Mar 15, 2016
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by samirchudi(m): 5:31pm On Mar 15, 2016
porshuch:
so you're not aware that Enugu state assembly refused to pass the bill. Check Hon udeokoye from awgu, before you start throwing stones.
wen majority carries d vote nko?till our northern part changes d way dey reason,naija will always be a third world country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by porshuch: 6:54pm On Mar 15, 2016
samirchudi:
wen majority carries d vote nko?till our northern part changes d way dey reason,naija will always be a third world country.
are you serious? So the north is setting us back in Nigeria? Abeg tell me what I don't know. undecided, let me tell you, every tribe in Nigeria is also a problem to this country. Pls shun tribalism, and mind you Abu kwa mu nwafo o, and I hate religion and tribalism.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by Progressive01(m): 8:16pm On Mar 15, 2016
They will come here to display their bigotry as usual when their fathers and mothers shut down the same bill in their state house of assembly: www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/how-enugu-assembly-rejected-equal-rights-opportunities-bill/

I'm sure Northern lawmakers in Enugu state HoA killed the bill.

The folks from that part of town show signs of acute mental handicap. Hate has made them gone completely mad.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by vedaxcool(m): 8:21pm On Mar 15, 2016
Shameless bigots from wailers ville would come here to tribalise the thread.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by meccuno: 8:43pm On Mar 15, 2016
porshuch:
are you serious? So the north is setting us back in Nigeria? Abeg tell me what I don't know. undecided, let me tell you, every tribe in Nigeria is also a problem to this country. Pls shun tribalism, and mind you Abu kwa mu nwafo o, and I hate religion and tribalism.
I hate it too.... But when 90 percent of the federal civil service is headed and populated by Northerners, it beats my imagination...we share the problems but don't share the system is a bit biased!! It is not wrong to say that Nigeria has been mismanaged by them because they have ruled. And they have the population to make a bill scale through or not so blame them!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by porshuch: 8:57pm On Mar 15, 2016
meccuno:
I hate it too.... But when 90 percent of the federal civil service is headed and populated by Northerners, it beats my imagination...we share the problems but don't share the system is a bit biased!! It is not wrong to say that Nigeria has been mismanaged by them because they have ruled. And they have the population to make a bill scale through or not so blame them!!
please don't blame a particular region because of our backwardness, remember that southerners was also holding the vice presidential post then, ask yourself what was their achievements then. My brother forget naija politicians, all of them are the same, both north and south. I will never side a particular region, until an Igbo man becomes a governor in the north and also an hausa man a governor in the East, that is when I can say that Nigeria is working.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by Mathini(m): 9:05pm On Mar 15, 2016
I want to believe the Senate will pass equal responsibilitie too, that is "equal rights" "equal responsibilities"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by gwales: 9:18pm On Mar 15, 2016
[s]
meccuno:
[/s] enugu state Assembly rejected same gender bill and your southeast are among the highest federal workers with imo state as number in the whole of the country

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by 3xtr6r: 9:38pm On Mar 15, 2016
[s]
gwales:
enugu state Assembly rejected same gender bill and your southeast are among the highest federal workers with imo state as number in the whole of the country
[/s]

83% of the appointed female ministers in the current administration are from the North.

The military, navy, air force police and other security forces are populated with illiterate Northerners.

About 85% of crude oil wells in the South belong to Northerners.

For many decades monthly allocations, fertilizer distribution have been largely skewed to the North for no justifiable reason; all in the name of 'One Nigeria'.

Northerners have colonised Customs for decades when they have no reason to.
Here is the break down of comptroller positions in the recent promotion:
SE - 4, SS - 11, SW - 10, NE - 26, NW - 25 and NC - 19.

An outrageous 74% of key positions in Customs going to the North!

Did you see any wrong in dismissing Igbos from Nigeria Custom Service?

https://www.nairaland.com/2886318/senate-probes-lopsidedness-police-promotions

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by modath(f): 9:41pm On Mar 15, 2016
It boggles the mind how much the historical illiterates always find a way to tribalise everything especially in a "throwing stones from a glass house" scenario..., undecided

However, I never expected the bill to see the light of day cos;

1.Nigeria is openly patriarchal

2. A large number of the men are covertly misogynistic

3.Women are more economically disadvantaged in comparison to men....

&

4. Most germane is the point that the legislathieves are not there to serve anything else but personal interest, they know their actions & inactions won't attract repercussions.

We can however delude ourselves. lipsrsealed

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by gwales: 10:09pm On Mar 15, 2016
[s]
3xtr6r:

83% of the appointed female ministers in the current administration are from the North.

The military, navy, air force police and other security forces are populated with illiterate Northerners.

For many decades monthly allocations, fertilizer distribution have been largely skewed to the North for no justifiable reason; all in the name of 'One Nigeria'.

[/s]

stop shifting goal post

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by 3xtr6r: 10:21pm On Mar 15, 2016
[s]
gwales:
stop shifting goal post
[/s]

I don't blame you entirely. I blame myself and my people for being yoked together with unrepentant, murderous parasites who use a forged constitution to ensure lopsided distribution of the commonwealth.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by Flexherbal(m): 10:28pm On Mar 15, 2016
Those against the bill should get ready for a fight with their wives today.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by gwales: 10:34pm On Mar 15, 2016
3xtr6r:
[s][/s]

I don't blame you entirely. I blame myself and my people for being yoked together with unrepentant, murderous parasites who use a forged constitution to ensure lopsided distribution of the commonwealth.
cry me a river

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by gwales: 10:35pm On Mar 15, 2016
3xtr6r:
[s]

[/s] cry me a river

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by 3xtr6r: 10:42pm On Mar 15, 2016
[s]
gwales:
cry me a river
[/s]

Keep on burying your head in the sand with your lies and propaganda!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by Nobody: 11:26pm On Mar 15, 2016
Lol
Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by meccuno: 12:51am On Mar 16, 2016
gwales:
enugu state Assembly rejected same gender bill and your southeast are among the highest federal workers with imo state as number in the whole of the country
south east with high federal workers? You just bring out stats from your anvs right?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by meccuno: 12:53am On Mar 16, 2016
3xtr6r:
[s][/s]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by Nobody: 4:38am On Mar 16, 2016
It is saddening that people refuse to think before commenting, especially on such snsitive matters as this. I would like to ask those blaming northerners, as well as those screaming misogyny to name one right a Nigerian male enjoys that a Nigerian female is denied. This bill is redundant, therefore, a waste of time.

Women are looking for equality in marriage rights but will flee from equal responsibility. You boy-men should wake up and stop your brainless follow-follow.

By the way, true equality in divorce means no woman gets a dime at sepearting from the husband and vice versa. That is equality. Leave with your value.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by Nobody: 5:24am On Mar 16, 2016
Nay! Naaaayyyyy! Naaaaaaayyyyyyyy! Equal rights ko? Equal beans dai?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by o42austino(m): 7:08am On Mar 16, 2016
Nigerians should know that the bill will not see the light of day once this generation of senators are still in the house.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by Pdizzle(m): 12:32pm On Mar 16, 2016
Timbuktou:
It is saddening that people refuse to think before commenting, especially on such snsitive matters as this. I would like to ask those blaming northerners, as well as those screaming misogyny to name one right a Nigerian male enjoys that a Nigerian female is denied. This bill is redundant, therefore, a waste of time.

Women are looking for equality in marriage rights but will flee from equal responsibility. You boy-men should wake up and stop your brainless follow-follow.

By the way, true equality in divorce means no woman gets a dime at sepearting from the husband and vice versa. That is equality. Leave with your value.
Re: List Of Some Senators Who Said “nay” To Equal Rights For Men & Women by Nobody: 1:02pm On Mar 16, 2016
o42austino:
Nigerians should know that the bill will not see the light of day once this generation of senators are still in the house.

The bill is redundant. The senator who sponsored it should be given 25 strokes of the cane. What right do you have as a Nigerian man that your sister doesnt have?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Picture Of Amechi When Hearing The Result. / Why South-west And North Should Be Worried / HAPPENING NOW!!! Death Rumour!! Aisha, Storms London Hospital,to See Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.