Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,940 members, 7,821,295 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank (5474 Views)

Petroleum Is Not The Major Forex Earner For Nigeria. / No State In Nigeria Is Bankrupt –DMO / Protest At The Gates Of Otedola Owner Of African Petroleum and tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by BlackRevo: 5:10am On Jul 21, 2009
"The company is insolvent and unable to pay its debts. In the circumstances, it is just and equitable that the company should be would up." Such is the conclusion Access Bank Plc. has reached about African Petroleum Plc. (AP) following AP's failure to repay the bank $35.1 million.

In a two-page statement carried in two national newspapers yesterday, Access Bank, through it's legal counsel, Olisa Agbakoba and Associates, published details about a case currently at the Federal High Court in Lagos.

The statement read, "The company (AP) is indebted to your petitioner (Access) in the sum of US $35,153,822.15 (approximately ₦5.2 billion), being the outstanding obligation on the Letter of Credit (LC) opened by the petitioner (Access) on 18th July 2008, on behalf of the respondent (AP) to facilitate the importation of petroleum products."

According to the statement, "the Plc was established and booked on 18th of July 2008 and matured on December 1, 2009," but "upon maturity of the LC, the Company was unable to settle the LC obligation of $US35.1 which is still outstanding as at the presentation of this petition."

In the statement, Access Bank stated that it wrote several times to AP to settle its debt; on January 02, 2009, March 2, 2009, March 26, 2009 and May 25, 2009, but "despite the various correspondences above, calling on the company to settle its LC obligation, the company failed to act accordingly, by settling the amount due." The court case has been adjourned till Wednesday July 22, the same day as AP's annual general meeting.

Legal permission

The statement by Access Bank's lawyers, was preceded by two pages of court documents. On one page was a Federal High Court Lagos order giving Access Bank "leave to advertise the petition." On the second page was an "Affidavit verifying Access Bank Plc Petition," signed by Louis Enahoro, the company secretary of Access Bank and a legal practitioner.

The case is described as "In the Matter of Africa Petroleum Plc and in the matter of the Companies and Allied Matters Act, Cap C.20 and in the Matter of an Application for winding up pursuant to sections 408, 409 and 410 of the Companies and Allied Matters Act, Cap. C.20" between Access Bank Plc (the Petitioner) and African Petroleum Plc (Respondent)."

According to section 408 of the Act, "a company may be wound up by the court" for several reasons, including "if the company is unable to pay its debts" and "if the court is of opinion that it is just and equitable that the company should be wound up."

Section 409 of the Act states that "a company shall be deemed to be unable to pay its debts if - a creditor, by assignment or otherwise, to whom the company is indebted in a sum exceeding 2,000 then due has served on the company, by leaving it at its registered office or head office, a demand under his hand requiring the company to pay the sum so due, and the company has for three weeks thereafter neglected to pay the sum or to secure or compound for it to the reasonable satisfaction of the creditor."

According to Section 410 of the Act, "an application to the court for the winding up of a company shall be by petition presented subject to the provisions of this section," by several parties including the company itself and "a creditor, including a contingent or prospective creditor of the company."

Central Bank pressure

On June 19, 2009, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) sent a circular to all banks, demanding that they "submit to the Ag. Director of Banking Supervision, details of their total exposures to the companies in the Energy Sector, namely Up-Stream, Down-Stream and Oil Service companies, as at May 31, 2009."

Lamido Sanusi, the governor of the Central Bank, in his first official speech as governor on July 07, 2009 said, "the CBN surveillance activities will receive new impetus to ensure efficient management and good corporate governance"

In stating the central bank's view that the Nigerian banking sector does not face a systemic risk, he said, "our view is that there are stress points in banks' balance sheets (margin loans, proprietary positions, oil marketing names, unsecured large exposures) and these are being dimensioned."

The Access-AP court case has thrown up one such "stress point." Banking and industry observers await Wednesday July 22 - when the court will give its judgement and the same day as AP's Annual General Meeting.

Access Bank Plc is amongst the top 10 Nigerian banks by assets. It's headquarters is in Victoria Island, Lagos . Access Bank's group managing director/chief operating officer is Aigboje Aig-Imoukhuede.

African Petroleum (AP) is a Nigerian major marketer of refined petroleum products, with it's head office in Marina, Lagos. AP's Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is Femi Otedola. Mr Otedola is also the CEO of Zenon Petroleum & Gas Limited, a petroleum marketing and distribution company.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Finance/5437955-146/story.csp

Please oooooooo, investors in african petroleum follow these very carefully so you don't loose your money. This is the best i can do by posting here and the judgement is one wednesday. Stay tuned
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by presido1: 9:19am On Jul 21, 2009
Dangote is going down, Otedola is going down.
Whoz next?
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by back2back(f): 9:21am On Jul 21, 2009
And so OBJ house-of-cards already started collapsing.

What a lesson!!!
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by asha2: 9:23am On Jul 21, 2009
Is this not related this topic i posted yesterday.If only nairaland spam bot will allow me to past it.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-299088.0.html
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by philip0906(m): 9:43am On Jul 21, 2009
presido1:

Whoz next?
4 where?d'u think they will come and tell us how much they have?they r trying 2 play along with the recession and make it look like they 2 r having problems.atleast 4 now in naija,none of these people will go down.never cos even if,they always have their way of turning around.Next thing u'll c on the headline of a business magazine in 4 years 2 come is "HOW I MANAGED TO TURN AROUND AFRICAN PETROLEUM,AND BECOME THE RICHEST BLACK MAN ON THE PLANET"-Femi Odetola.
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by presido1: 9:53am On Jul 21, 2009
philip0906:

4 where?d'u think they will come and tell us how much they have?they r trying 2 play along with the recession and make it look like they 2 r having problems.atleast 4 now in naija,none of these people will go down.never cos even if,they always have their way of turning around.Next thing u'll c on the headline of a business magazine in 4 years 2 come is "HOW I MANAGED TO TURN AROUND AFRICAN PETROLEUM,AND BECOME THE RICHEST BLACK MAN ON THE PLANET"-Femi Odetola.
Not when Mend is blocking their channel. When resource control if fully implemented will then know who is the real entrepreneur and the Govt aided entrepreneur.
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by MrCrackles(m): 10:47am On Jul 21, 2009
I personally dont think Femi Otedola is in trouble. . . . .
Looks like AP/Otedola camp is up to something
Access Bank will get thier money but whether they will get it according to thier own terms or AP/Otedola's terms, i dont know. . . .
Fingers crossed and very interested in the final outcome on this one! tongue
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by Ibime(m): 10:56am On Jul 21, 2009
back2back:

And so OBJ house-of-cards already started collapsing.

Apt summary.
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by Nezan(m): 11:53am On Jul 21, 2009
presido1:

Whoz next?
OBJ's magic wand has met a water loo.
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by tkb417(m): 11:54am On Jul 21, 2009
MrCrackles:

I personally dont think Femi Otedola is in trouble. . . . .
Looks like AP/Otedola camp is up to something
[b]Access Bank will get thier money but whether they will get it according to thier own terms or AP/Otedola's terms, i dont know. . . .[/b]Fingers crossed and very interested in the final outcome on this one! tongue

The Bank will get their money on their terms!

For all those positioning to buy the downstream oil coys,
u guys can wait a lil more. Im expectin some katrina in tht sector anytime soon

MRS? hehehehe
we shall see where they will end also

fingers crossed
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by BlackRevo: 1:01pm On Jul 21, 2009
asha 2:

Is this not related this topic i posted yesterday.If only nairaland spam bot will allow me to past it.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-299088.0.html

Yes it is related to it and i have seen that as well. the article is there in the post now and it is on the frontpage.
philip0906:

Well we have seen that with the banks in the usa but i dont think any nigerian company will want to pull that recession stunt on us. Did you read the punch about three banks first bank, oceanic and one other bank that serviced 76 billion naira loan. oceanic did not pay dividend, first bank paid out of its reserve and you know it is this banks that gives money to this company so if the bank are not healthy i think this companies will not be healthy as well.

presido1:

Not when Mend is blocking their channel. When resource control if fully implemented will then know who is the real entrepreneur and the Govt aided entrepreneur.

i am joining you to say it more louder.
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by bigben3: 1:10pm On Jul 21, 2009
Quite interesting topic,we'll see how this end
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by dfanthom(m): 1:26pm On Jul 21, 2009
something is surely amiss. . . . shocked

these briefcase businessmen are at it again. they want to create panic in the system. i'm sure it's not what it seems to be.
let's be more vigilant, observant & follow the chain of events more closely cool
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by bebe4u(f): 1:31pm On Jul 21, 2009
HMMN, do i smell some distress in Access Bank if AP doesnt pay. I am not sympathetic to the bank, the deduct all manners of charges from your account and have a kini big deal attitude when you dare question them like they are doing you a favour banking with them.

I'ts time to start selling some your shares in AP and withdrawing some of your cash from the bank, just to be safe. its just my opinion.
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by klas(m): 2:00pm On Jul 21, 2009
The Punch of today on page 15 and Nigerian Compass of today on front page carry the same story on AP management reaction to the liquidation petition.

According to AP "We are ready to pay but we are opposed to Access Bank's tactic to fleece us. They want to rip-off our company to the tune of N400million"

According to them they opened form M through access bank which  forex was sourced from CBN at the official rate of N116.62 but access bank wants the repayment at N127 to a dollar. AP petitioned CBN over the rate differential . "However, the CBN involvement at the insistence of AP, Falasinu said, infuriated access bank which threatened to go to court even when it was yet to provide any satisfactory answer to apex bank's question"

From their story, it would appear that the case is more of disagreement over what is due than inability to pay.
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by jumobi1(m): 2:11pm On Jul 21, 2009
Cant AP choose to pay in either Dollar or Naira. or do they want inlfation adjustment?

And Access Bank is stupid, What do they think interest rates are for?
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by nich(m): 3:10pm On Jul 21, 2009
anoda 'economics' movie in the making. grin 'guess we'd all have to be patient to see who the scriptwriters/playwrights are. grin cheesy
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by larez(m): 3:11pm On Jul 21, 2009
The answers all lie in the small prints of their agreements. Access Bank has opened up a potential liability hole by creating a threat to the share price of the company by attempting to induce panic. But then, in Nigeria, it could be a concerted ploy by both Access Bank and A/P to force shareholders to panic and sell, while they buy back the stocks at a reduced rate and retire them internally. This will in-turn raise the value of the company.

EFCC should begin their investigations into this drama because I personally believe that this is a case of the more you see, the less you know. Racketeering is widespread and profitable in Nigeria's financial markets. The question to ask yourself is why Access Bank will try this case in the news media, while they have supposedly filed a case. I gag order should have been in place upon filing.
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by tomylee: 4:17pm On Jul 21, 2009
It is not the duty of access bank to label AP a bankrupt company. I think this whole issue is a drama by access bank to get their money back from the AP. What financial evidence do they have to prove this bankrupcy thing apart from their so called unpaid loan.
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by Greycells(m): 5:00pm On Jul 21, 2009
larez:

The answers all lie in the small prints of their agreements. Access Bank has opened up a potential liability hole by creating a threat to the share price of the company by attempting to induce panic. But then, in Nigeria, it could be a concerted ploy by both Access Bank and A/P to force shareholders to panic and sell, while they buy back the stocks at a reduced rate and retire them internally. This will in-turn raise the value of the company.

EFCC should begin their investigations into this drama because I personally believe that this is a case of the more you see, the less you know. Racketeering is widespread and profitable in Nigeria's financial markets. The question to ask yourself is why Access Bank will try this case in the news media, while they have supposedly filed a case. I gag order should have been in place upon filing.

tomylee:

It is not the duty of access bank to label AP a bankrupt company. I think this whole issue is a drama by access bank to get their money back from the AP. What financial evidence do they have to prove this bankrupcy thing apart from their so called unpaid loan.

Both post says it all.

I also believe that AP Plc gone bankrupt is not the same thing as Femi Otedola gone bankrupt. Dt company na shared risk oh. I may be corrected.

Peeps just spew ignorance from the top of their voice. Many should just pray dt none of the heavily capitalized Plcs go down na major gbege oh. It will trigger armageddon for some families.
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by olekus(m): 5:12pm On Jul 21, 2009
AP Faults Access Bank Over $35m Debt
By Kingsley Ighomwenghian, Finance Editor, Lagos
The Chief Operating Officer of African Petroleum Plc (AP), Mr. Tunde Falasinnu, has faulted Access Bank Plc,s request that the petroleum marketing firm be wound up for failure to pay debt of about $35 million.

According to a newspaper advertorial, Access Bank has told a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos that AP is insolvent hence it could not pay the $35 million debt.

The bank has therefore asked the company be wound up.

However, Falasinnu said at a press briefing on Monday that AP has refused to pay because the bank was requesting for the debt to be paid in dollars and at black market rate.

He said that the debt arose from facility by the bank to finance the importation of petroleum products.

He explained that pursuant to financing of the vessel, AP opened a form M with at the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and letter of credit was opened at the rate of N116 to a United States dollar.

He added that trouble started when Access Bank on December 2, 2008 sent a debit advice, saying the money should be paid using an exchange rate of N127 to a dollar.

He said AP objected to the rate and petitioned the CBN, saying the company was willing to adhere to the final decision of the apex bank on the issue.

,,We are still awaiting the decision of CBN on the matter before we saw the advertorial requesting for the winding up of the company. The request sounds very ridiculous. We cannot just allow ourselves to be cheated because if we pay that amount, the bank is ripping us off to the tune of N440 million in just one transaction,,, he said.

The AP boss said that the company has never denied owing Access Bank, ,,but consider the demand inappropriate since it will amount to round tripping to use the same documents to purchase foreign exchange from the CBN.,,

He said that AP made this position known to the Access Bank via a letter dated June 3, 2009. He said that said the action of the bank might have ulterior motives.

In its petition to Director, Banking Supervision Department, CBN, dated May 15, 2009, AP had explained that, ,,We opened an account with Access Bank in 2007. They availed us a $50 million facility on May 12, 2008 for the purpose of importing petroleum products through letter of credit.

On July 25, 2008 a letter of credit was opened in favour of Glencore Ennergy UK Limited on our behalf by Access Bank. The receiving bank- BNP Paribas SA. Amount on the letter of credit $38,973,000. The actual amount negotiated and paid was $35,153,822.15 as contained in the commercial invoice dated August 2008 by Glencore Energy.

On December 2nd December 2008, Access Bank advised through a debit note dated 1st December that our account has been debited with N4,464,353,413.05 being the Naira value of $35,153,822.15 at N126/$.

We objected to this rate and informed them of the official rate of N116.67 by CBN as at that date through our letter dated 2nd December 2008.

The bank has done four LCs before this disputed one. The LCs were paid according to normal documentary credit through the CBN bid options.,,

AP told the CBN that the request by the Access Bank to pay them in foreign currency is inappropriate for following reasons: The Form M and Proforma Invoice were use to open a LC for the import; the suppliers have been paid using the CBN fund at the rate as at November 2008 or earlier; using the same forms to purchase Forex will amount to round tripping, an offence the company said it will not associate itself with.

http://www.independentngonline.com/busi/lead/article01
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by mrperfect(m): 5:42pm On Jul 21, 2009
God will not allow any to fall, because of the families those companies feed.
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by calyx: 5:56pm On Jul 21, 2009
He explained that pursuant to financing of the vessel, AP opened a form M with at the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and letter of credit was opened at the rate of N116 to a United States dollar.

He added that trouble started when Access Bank on December 2, 2008 sent a debit advice, saying the money should be paid using an exchange rate of N127 to a dollar.

So AP wants to pay back at the 116/$ rate they borrowed the money abi. What was the naira/$ rate at the time they want to repay. Consider the cost of the foreign transaction and all. Is the bank a charity organisation Abeg make una go pay wetin una owe jare
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by dedeike: 6:10pm On Jul 21, 2009
this is bad news.i just hope the analysis by larez is true. our economy cannot afford such bankruptcy in these days of recession.
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by larez(m): 6:27pm On Jul 21, 2009
calyx:

So AP wants to pay back at the 116/$ rate they borrowed the money abi. What was the naira/$ rate at the time they want to repay. Consider the cost of the foreign transaction and all. Is the bank a charity organisation Abeg make una go pay wetin una owe jare

There is the base rate of the transaction which is locked as of the date of this transaction. Bank charges and interests are a separate affair from this. The exchange rate at the date and time of the transaction is locked. Anything else will be based on this locked rate.
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by calyx: 6:37pm On Jul 21, 2009
There is the base rate of the transaction which is locked as of the date of this transaction. Bank charges and interests are a separate affair from this. The exchange rate at the date and time of the transaction is locked. Anything else will be based on this locked rate.

If your suggestion here is correct, then why is it not in black & white. Access bank would probably have gone to court based on an endorsed offer/agreement. if they agreed to terms then they should pay or at least try to reach a reasonable compromise
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by sley4life(m): 8:27pm On Jul 21, 2009
says who
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by akintun: 10:32pm On Jul 21, 2009
Insolvency law allows a creditor to go to court after fullfiling certain conditions and demand that its debtor should be liquidated compulsory. The case between Access bank and AP would be decided depending on the contract signed. If AP did not sign a forward contract then it will have to pay back the money it owes the bank using the exchange rate on the day Access bank transfered money to AP business partner's bank abroad.
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by BlackRevo: 12:28am On Jul 22, 2009
akintun:

Insolvency law allows a creditor to go to court after fullfiling certain conditions and demand that its debtor should be liquidated compulsory. The case between Access bank and AP would be decided depending on the contract signed. If AP did not sign a forward contract then it will have to pay back the money it owes the bank using the exchange rate on the day Access bank transfered money to AP business partner's bank abroad.

Good to have you here this is what we need on nairaland, those who have the economic and legal experience of these issues to make things more clear to us outsiders seeing it from a different angle.
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by Nezan(m): 10:32am On Jul 22, 2009
dedeike:

this is bad news.i just hope the analysis by larez is true. our economy cannot afford such bankruptcy in these days of recession.
grin
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by MrCrackles(m): 10:50am On Jul 22, 2009
larez:

I quite agree with this. . . . .
Dat is the norm pretty much everywhere else!
Re: African Petroleum Is Bankrupt Says Access Bank by larez(m): 11:33am On Jul 22, 2009
MrCrackles:

I quite agree with this. . . . .
Dat is the norm pretty much everywhere else!

Even though I had made that statement earlier, another scenario occurred to me as well. In very rare and certain conditions, there may be a stipulation where the transaction may be based on a 3 day average preceding the date of closing. This you will find in cases such as commodities in terms of final price for the agreement. What this means is that the price at the date of closing will be averaged with the trading price of the 2 previous days. I am not so sure that this is applied in foreign exchange trades though. But then with Nigeria, you never know. This is why i am adding this statement.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dangote Now Richest In Africa(richer Than Chelsea's Abrahamovich) / Russia Set To Send 10,000 Troops To Nigeria (BREAKING) / Drama As Minister’s Wife Refuses To Remove Hijab For MTN Registration (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.