Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,111 members, 7,818,319 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

How I Got Addicted And Overcame Addiction Of Virtual Bets (dog&horse Race) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How I Got Addicted And Overcame Addiction Of Virtual Bets (dog&horse Race) (1670 Views)

Woman Who Was Addicted To Drugs Shares New Photos. Checkout Her Transformation / My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It / I'm Addicted To Codeine , Weed, Tramadol And Many More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Got Addicted And Overcame Addiction Of Virtual Bets (dog&horse Race) by Nobody: 3:50pm On Mar 17, 2016
After i read a thread on how a guy overcame the addiction to tramadol, i think it right to share my experience and explain how i overcame gambling too.

Let me first say this, " its very easy to get addicted, but overcoming it is the hardest"

BTW, this is going to be long, so collect some peanuts and pure water , sit back and enjoy my story

It was my second year in school then ( i attended a popular university in Ogun state), i was intoduced to this new betting company that just came onboard and yes it was splendid. I ran a small business then( a veiwing center). So i got the agency of this company freely and all gadgets given too free. Anyway to cut the long story short we had an internal strike in school which tarried a longer time, hence the genesis of my addiction.

Sit back and enjoy this....
I had to leave school because no more market. All students had already left and no one to watch or play games again. I decided to move down to sagamu where i helped the man who helped me get the agency of the betting company( he is a blood brother of the friend to the owner of the betting company). He just opened a shop and the virtual betting of dog race just kick started too. I was given the mantle to anchor the shop, i play games and yes we had many customers. As the operator behind the computer, and as enough money on till and at my disposal i play games too. I gambled with the money and at times lose and seldomly wins.
" you can never win the house" my boss always tell me. He advised me not to play, as the little change and little money on i gain on everybody's winnings is okay for me.... But i never listened, i gambled the more.
After 2 months, i had already accumulated a debt of more than 75, 000 naira. My boss had to stop me from working and told me to pay him back or else my agency to my own shop in school woukd be revoked..
I started running pillar to post, but no help. I had to call my friend's father who helped me begged the man and made me sign an agreement that i will be paying back from my salary every month. The man agreed especially because he liked me, and just wanted me to change.
I was jobless for like 2 weeks and i saw hell, i couldn't go home because i had to stay so as not to be tagged that i ran away from my debts.
After my resumption, i was given a close monitoring and a little fund was always at my disposal. I started to behave myself, i wasnt playing games anymore, and in only 3 days i saved up to 5000naira, i was surprised... Without playing, yet i could realize such amount.
Just after one week, i found myself playing again, but this time with little money asow as 200 naira, and i was back to my old life again.
As days rolled by, i started short paying and my boss suspicions aroused again.
To cut the story short, i lost 2000naira one day and i have no money on me to offset the debt, i had to play more games maybe i could win and balance my account, but no and before i knew it i already accumulated up to 25000naira. Yes 25k... Lol.
I left the system that day and i ran away from the shop, i ran to a nearby street and was restless. Not knowing to me that my boss had already arranged for police to arrest me. Unknowing to me someone was kept on my trail to always know my movement, that day the guy follwed me quietly to where i was and alerted my boss, it was there the police men picked me up. I didnt struggle at all, but some slaps landed my cheeks though. I used up to 3 hours behind the counter before my boss came and gave orders for my release. After i was released he told me not to come back again and he ceased my peesonal laptop and some valuables, and that moment sense dawn on me. I later moved back home , my parents house.

That wasn't the end, of course i couldnt play for a long time cus, the virtual thing wasn't around our school then.

Fast forwarded, after school , i got job in lagos and my salary was below 100k , but there is this game center not far from our office building, i will go there during my break time and whenever im going home too, making me go home late at times ( i was living in my mother's family house around Ojota).
Sometimes i lose money and will even go to tge ATM, withdraw money and still lose it, but sometimes i win too.
It was January 7th 2015, sense dawned on me when i lost half of my salary at same spot. And i since that day made a resolution and agreed with myself never to touch it again, and till today i haven't. Although i still play normal sport betting, but dog race or horse race and even that new virtual football is a big NO for me.

Lemme share with you how i overcame the 'obsession'

1. I cursed my self.... Lol, as childish as that may sound, mehn that was what i did. I cursed myself with what i got afraid of most. That the next time i visit that virtual betting again, so so so and so should happen.

2. I made my vow to people who are pundits too. You know, when you say things or made a promise around people, some will challenge you that you cant do it, yet you might want to show your ego and firmness on your words.

3. I seldonmy visit the game house... Yes, i dont go there. And anytime i feel bored and need to see something lively, i visit but i will never carry cash along, even my cards.

4. I mock gamblers... You know i am known there already and except u are new there, i can mock anybody there and tell them why they shoukd leave the senseless gambling. Hence my interest shrinks at playing because those i mocked awaits the day i will play again.

5. I assume games inside of me... This is very tricky, and you must train your mind enough for this before u engage in it. What it means is that, i always assume i have a certain amount of money on me, and i will play the game inside of me, if i lose, im always happy because i will asumme i just saved money that i would have lost. At times my predictions sail through, what i do is to assume that if i have the cash at hand, i may have made a wrong selection... You can see where that got tricky.

6. Finally, i spoke about my wrong doings i. e my addiction to someone im sure he/ she is going to bash me. In my kwn case i tokd my gf. You see the problems about addictions again is doing it in secret. When you open up, you will feel light and it may help by curbing that addiction, cus u already tokd someone who is going to bash u and follow it up for you not to go back.

I implore those others who have won the battle of addiction to share their experiences too, it might actually help a life.
....... Thanks for reading my long epistellic epistle. Lol..

Original writer. ... Drabeey

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Got Addicted And Overcame Addiction Of Virtual Bets (dog&horse Race) by Nobody: 4:42pm On Mar 17, 2016
I'd have argued why this thread is in health section but I remembered addiction is a psychological cum psychiatric state.

I'm happy for you.

1 Like

Re: How I Got Addicted And Overcame Addiction Of Virtual Bets (dog&horse Race) by Nobody: 1:35pm On Mar 19, 2016
twoondei:
I'd have argued why this thread is in health section but I remembered addiction is a psychological cum psychiatric state.

I'm happy for you.

Thanks bro. But I still don't know why the mods ban me cuz I posted this. I was banned and just came back for posting this
Re: How I Got Addicted And Overcame Addiction Of Virtual Bets (dog&horse Race) by gunpoint(m): 4:55am On Mar 27, 2016
U for wait till e kill u na
Mumu angry
Re: How I Got Addicted And Overcame Addiction Of Virtual Bets (dog&horse Race) by ErasmusCOMP: 5:58am On Mar 27, 2016
Thanks for having the courage to make this positive change.

(1) (Reply)

The Toothpaste Everybody Is Asking For. / Epilepsy: What Step Should I Take For My Girl? / *~ Balogun Voted The Health Section Poster Of The Year *~ Congratulations!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.