Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,703 members, 7,820,458 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:17 PM

Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT (33429 Views)

I Can’t Face CCT Trial Together With Forgery Case, Saraki Tells Court / "Keep Quite" Saraki Tells APC Senators / Saraki tells 3 Ex-Presidents, Influential Nigerians To Come To His Rescue-Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by midolian(m): 8:00am On Mar 19, 2016
Senate President Bukola Saraki maintained yesterday that the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) must discharge and acquit him the way it did to former Lagos State Governor, Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
He said the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) should have invited him to clarify issues on his asset declaration form before charging him to the tribunal for alleged false asset declaration, a ground for which, he said, the CCT struck out a similar case against Tinubu.

According to him, the leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who was accused of false declaration of assets, was set free by the tribunal because of the failure of the CCB to fulfill necessary conditions of inviting him first to make statement on the alleged discrepancies before referring him for trial.

Saraki, through his lawyer, Mr. Kanu Agabi (SAN) told the tribunal chairman, Mr. Danladi Umar, that Saraki should have been invited to clarify issues before charging him before the tribunal.

After hearing on the motion by Saraki challenging the jurisdiction of the tribunal to try him, the CCT yesterday fixed March 24, 2016 to rule on the motion.

During yesterday’s trial, counsel to Saraki, Agabi argued that ten other former governors who had the opportunity of being invited to defend their asset declaration before CCB and where not referred to the tribunal after taking explanations on their declared assets.

He urged the tribunal to dismiss the charges against Saraki for being incompetent, baseless and having been filed without observing the due process of the law, even as he also appealed to the tribunal to quash the charges against his client on the ground that the charges were not competent in law.
Agabi premised his argument on preliminary objection to the charge on the ground that the conditions precedent for arraignment of Saraki by the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) were not fulfilled.

Among others, Agabi claimed that Saraki was not invited by the Code of Conduct Bureau as required by law to deny or admit the alleged discrepancies in the asset declaration form submitted to the Bureau.
Agabi told the tribunal that up till now, Saraki as a defendant has not made any statement to the Bureau upon which he can be effectively put to trial.

Agabi contended that the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) was wrong in law in initiating the charge against Saraki because the Code of Conduct Bureau Act vested power to accept asset declaration form, investigating assets form and prosecuting the offender on the Bureau and not on any external force like the AGF, ICPC or EFCC.

He said the failure of the CCB to fulfill the conditions precedent of summoning Saraki to first make statement on discrepancies in his declared assets was fatal to the charge before tribunal and cannot operate to the detriment of the defendant.

“CCB is a peculiar institution; it has the duty to accept, to examine, to keep custody of assets declaration forms submitted to it and also has power to accept complaints from the public on the discrepancies that may arise from any form submitted to it.

“In the instant case, there is no petition or complain before the CCB and that the power of the CCB to refer any offender to the CCT for trial cannot be delegated to the AGF”.

According to him, such measure should also apply to Saraki because he was not first invited by CCB to make statement of denial or confirmation of discrepancies in his assets declaration form.
In opposing the motion, counsel to the Federal Government, Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), accused the defendant of engaging in abuse of court process and that what Saraki was asking for had been determined by various courts.

On the issue of Tinubu that was set free by the tribunal on the failure of the CCB to fulfill the conditions precedent, Jacobs opined that the tribunal was in error in arriving at that decision in setting Tinubu free.

https://www.today.ng/news/national/94884/apply-ruling-on-tinubu-to-my-case-saraki-tells-cct

2 Shares

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by HungerBAD: 8:00am On Mar 19, 2016
This Saraki is a Comedian.

He should go into the home video business after he gets kicked out of the Senate, and completes his jail time. There are many differences between you and Tinubu, but most importantly Tinubu is one of the reason's why we have democracy in Nigeria.

When Tinubu and the likes of Abraham Adesanya, were in the trenches fighting for Nigeria via the NADECO, where was this Mr Ibu?so the PDP lead Government cooked up charges, and tried to put Tinubu away. But, they also knew that touching a freedom fighter like Tinubu, would signify the West going their way.

So the honest man was left alone.

Saraki in your case, you have never worked in your life, and from your fathers living room you went into power where looting became your surname.Please Saraki, never in your life compare yourself to Tinubu.

You committed a crime, Tinubu was not there, so face your trial alone without calling names.

180 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by mynd1(f): 8:01am On Mar 19, 2016
grin grin
Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by powerfulsettingz: 8:01am On Mar 19, 2016
Hopeless thieves

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by midolian(m): 8:02am On Mar 19, 2016
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by Xclusivegrin007(m): 8:06am On Mar 19, 2016
Click like if u want him to be prosecuted

169 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by FreemanDave(m): 8:07am On Mar 19, 2016
You wanna judge Your own case?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by baralatie(m): 8:11am On Mar 19, 2016
when I saw the clip on nta this morning.I was like what did the CCB do in tinubus case and had it documented for future references''.
the chief judge must be getting either infuriated at the lower courts or just watching what will be the next thing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by SouthernBreeze(m): 8:13am On Mar 19, 2016
What is good for Tinubu is also good for Saraki

85 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by vivalavida(m): 8:21am On Mar 19, 2016
HungerBAD:

He should go into the home video business after he gets kicked out of the Senate, and completes his jail time. There are many differences between you and Tinubu, but most importantly Tinubu is one of the reason's why we have democracy in Nigeria.

When Tinubu and the likes of Abraham Adesanya, were in the trenches fighting for Nigeria via the NADECO, where was this Mr Ibu?so the PDP lead Government cooked up charges, and tried to put Tinubu away. But, they also knew that touching a freedom fighter like Tinubu, would signify the West going their way.

Saraki in your case, you have never worked in your life, and from your fathers living room you went into power where looting became your surname.Please Saraki, never in your life compare yourself to Tinubu.

Did u even read the write up @ all?
Or you rushed to comment just because u love ur comment appearing first?
You said that there is a difference in tinubu's case because it was cooked up by PDP. Whether sarakis case is real or cooked up,dont you think he has to be invited first to clear things up befort the CCT starts trying him?
Of What relevance does Tinubu and that late old monkey look-alike Adesanya Nadeco days contribute to this discourse?

Rubbish

If Saraki is guilty,he should be jailed but due process must be followed and he must be afforded fair hearing.

127 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by Dannyset(m): 8:40am On Mar 19, 2016
Saraki is already giving Ali Baba a run for his money!

13 Likes

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by kulikuli26: 9:00am On Mar 19, 2016
HungerBAD:

You committed a crime, Tinubu was not there, so face your trial alone without calling names.

To your shallow mind, you have made sense? Saraki didn't work in SGBN? He didn't work briefly as a doctor? On what ground was tinubu's case thrown out at CCT? Are you been unknowingly ignorant or self induced?

86 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by amaechi1: 9:20am On Mar 19, 2016
Because, both of committed the crime together and the same day.

4 Likes

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by Nobody: 9:24am On Mar 19, 2016
Interesting. The decision of the CCT in Tinubu's case is a precedent, though not absolutely binding on the CCT. I just wonder why the Fed govt rushed to charge Saraki to court when they were aware of the decision in Tinubu's case.

I was hoping that now that Rotimi Jacobs is handling the govt's high profile criminal cases, there would be a change from the glaring incompetence and shoddy prosecution displayed by festus keyamo. Keyamo only wanted to play to the gallery.

Why not take time to build their case and tighten all loopholes before going to court? As much as I want Saraki to be brought to justice, he has the right to rely on Tinubu's case if the prosecution has made the same mistake upon which the charge against Tinubu was struck out.

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by FoodVendors: 9:54am On Mar 19, 2016
*Saraki, through his lawyer, Mr. Kanu Agabi (SAN) told the tribunal chairman, Mr. Danladi Umar, that Saraki should have been invited to clarify issues before charging him before the tribunal.* -corruption statement

what is the difference between trial and clarify?

6 Likes

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by OZAOEKPE(f): 9:56am On Mar 19, 2016
HungerBAD:

just read this thrash again, and see how 'f**lish' you are undecided

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by Nobody: 10:00am On Mar 19, 2016
FoodVendors:
*Saraki, through his lawyer, Mr. Kanu Agabi (SAN) told the tribunal chairman, Mr. Danladi Umar, that Saraki should have been invited to clarify issues before charging him before the tribunal.* -corruption statement

what is the difference between trial and clarify?

They are not the same. It's like saying your neighbour reported a case at the police station, accusing you of stealing his black shoe. If the police invite you to their station to give a statement stating your own side of the story, in which you explained that your uncle bought you a shoe exactly like that of your neighbor and you show them the receipt as proof..........That's CLARIFY.

Imagine if the police just arrest and charge you to court without even inviting you to respond to the allegation made by your neighbour....that's TRIAL.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by NobleAngell(f): 10:16am On Mar 19, 2016
U mean Saraki can tell the court what to do? That's interesting!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by Ratello: 10:19am On Mar 19, 2016
Seriously....Bukola did you really say this? Comparing your case to that of Tinubu, the National Leader of the Party that voted you into Power? shocked undecided cheesy one needs no prophet to tell you that this bastard is already acting like a mole in his party. it is becoming clearer now that this rogue is already FINISHED. It seems I did not see this well....oya Bukky pardon me.....cheesy

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by FoodVendors: 10:23am On Mar 19, 2016
adeaks:

They are not the same. It's like saying your neighbour reported a case at the police station, accusing you of stealing his black shoe. If the police invite you to their station to give a statement stating your own side of the story, in which you explained that your uncle bought you a shoe exactly like that of your neighbor and you show them the receipt as proof..........That's CLARIFY.

Imagine if the police just arrest and charge you to court without even inviting you to respond to the allegation made by your neighbour....that's TRIAL.

but he submitted the asset declaration by himself at the first place. is not the basis for trial? TRIAL = CLARIFY more

2 Likes

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by FoodVendors: 10:25am On Mar 19, 2016
adeaks:

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by Nobody: 10:33am On Mar 19, 2016
FoodVendors:

but he submitted the asset declaration by himself at the first place. is not the basis for trial? TRIAL = CLARIFY more

Nope. He submitted it himself but the CCB should have first invited him to clarify any issues they found in the forms he submitted before going to court.
If he says he has a house in London, then invite him and ask him how he got the property. If you are not satisfied with his explanation, then charge him to court.

KANU Agabi's submission is that just charging him to court without allowing him to explain whatever they felt was wrong in his declaration form, robs the court of the necessary jurisdiction to hear the case.

16 Likes

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by dammytosh: 10:38am On Mar 19, 2016
No we wont.

We will prefer they go and re-arrest Tinubu and prosecute him.

So to a lay man let me explain what he meant.

Tinubu stole and una free am, i steal too but free me.

It is obvious Saraki is an incorrigible thief.

So nothing to say on all the allegations from EFCC and CCT but just free me.

Only dead brains will support this impunity.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by sammyj: 10:38am On Mar 19, 2016
Ok
Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by 5starmilitant: 10:38am On Mar 19, 2016
grin grin grin

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by Tunami(m): 10:39am On Mar 19, 2016
HungerBAD:

mediocritic post.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by thefakestan: 10:39am On Mar 19, 2016
How can they free someone in error?

Hmmmmm

ThefakeStan
Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by Project400: 10:40am On Mar 19, 2016
grin
Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by shamecurls(m): 10:40am On Mar 19, 2016
The Ineffectual buffon bailed Tinubu out of the trial because of his 2nd term ambition and moreover, stealing was not corruption then.

3 Likes

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by DWJOBScom(m): 10:40am On Mar 19, 2016
this war or entertainment is getting funnier

1 Like

Re: Apply Ruling On Tinubu To My Case – Saraki Tells CCT by flokii: 10:41am On Mar 19, 2016
SouthernBreeze:
What is good for Tinubu is also good for Saraki

right?

just that Tinubu is not at d federal level which saraki is now..

that position is just too delicate for someone like him, with his track records to hold

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2023: Northern Group Lists Osinbajo's 'Sins', Warns Nigerians Against Voting Him / 2019: Nigerian Prostitutes Back Saraki, Reveal Why Buhari Must Go / FG Imports Russian War Helicopters, Uavs From Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.