Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,540 members, 7,827,014 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer (27247 Views)

Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! / Team Nigeria For Global First Robot Olympics In Washington (Photo) / Team Nigeria Kits Arrive RIO 3 Days To End Of Olympics Games (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:57am On Jun 04, 2016
D’Tigress set for Argentina test

Nigeria’s senior women’s basketball team are set to face Argentina in France in a friendly match as they prepare for the Women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Nantes, France.

The WOQT will hold between June 13 and 19 and D’Tigress, who are ranked 42nd in the world, will play in Group C against Belarus and South Korea. Nigeria will play Argentina on June 8 and 9 in France and the team is expected to depart the country for France before the match.

According to the team’s head coach, Scott Nnaji, the team is currently waiting for their visas from the French Embassy before proceeding to France for the tournament.

“The team is currently on ground and we are waiting for our visas to enable us leave in time for the friendly match we have against Argentina next week,” Nnaji told our correspondent on Friday.

As a part of their preparations for the WOQT, Nigeria, who were without Nnaji, played Turkey in the first of their friendly matches on May 27 and 28. They lost the two matches 68-56 and 67-56 but Nnaji said the match would not affect the players’ attitude to their next friendly against Argentina.

“There is still a competition for places in the team for the Olympic qualifiers. The first match against Turkey last week was not played by the full players. It was meant to measure our strength and weaknesses,” he said.

“The players who played that game are back in Nigeria now and we have 17 players here which will be cut down to 14 after the game against Argentina. Thereafter we will have our final squad of 12.

“Argentina are a good side but we will play with a good attitude and not just see it as a friendly match. It will help us to further identify our strengths and weaknesses we may not have observed from the first match.”

In contrast to Nigeria, Argentina, who are ranked 15th by FIBA, during the week named their final squad for the WOQT. The South Americans finished fourth at the 2016 South American Women’s Championship in May but are already in France to begin preparations for the qualifiers. They have also played Spain and Venezuela in friendly matches.

President of FIBA Africa Zone 3, Sam Ahmedu, believes that Argentina should not be as tough as Turkey for Nigeria.

He said, “Argentina aren’t as highly ranked as Turkey, so if rankings are anything to go by, they should not be as tough as the Turks to us. Anybody can beat the other team. It all boils down to preparation.

“Since the matches are to identify the weaknesses of the team ahead of the main tournament, the players and the coaches should learn from them and get a ticket for the Olympics.”

Source: http://www.punchng.com/dtigress-set-argentina-test/
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 8:10am On Jun 04, 2016
^^
Thanks for the updates, SuperNerd.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by isaiah9(m): 9:26am On Jun 04, 2016
Guys which channel can one stream the WOQT?
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by isaiah9(m): 8:01pm On Jun 04, 2016
Our u23 boys need to improve asap, imagine losing to South Korea then lost to denmark 6-2. Can't remember any Nigeria team male or female concede up to 5 in a game. Very very poor

1 Like

Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 12:49am On Jun 09, 2016
The NOC president, Habu Gumel, says that Team Nigeria won't be provided condoms at the Olympics by the NOC.
The athletes would only receive condoms from the Local Organizing Committee.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by CassieV(f): 4:05am On Jun 09, 2016
No Gymnastics? No swimming? No volleyball? Something needs to be done! embarassed
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by iamdynamite(m): 8:52am On Jun 09, 2016
CassieV:
No Gymnastics? No swimming? No volleyball? Something needs to be done! embarassed
are you a proffesional gymnast or just for fun?
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by CassieV(f): 11:08am On Jun 09, 2016
iamdynamite:
are you a proffesional gymnast or just for fun?
Just for fun...
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by iamdynamite(m): 11:18am On Jun 09, 2016
CassieV:

Just for fun...
wow,really,why dont you take it a bit serious,you never can tell.....you have a very flexible body fits for such.

1 Like

Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by olapluto(m): 11:23am On Jun 09, 2016
My early predictions for the olympics.
Nigeria will get zero medals, but some fantastic displays. We will be close to medals with some, but others will just be going to Rio for the allowance.
1. Wrestling- Adekuroye Odunayo is the best shot we have. Bronze at world championship no be moi moi. She is perhaps the best chance we have of a medal.
2. Athletics: Unfortunately, no Nigerian team is medal worthy. The current AFN has killed athletics in Nigeria. They are in the process of burying it. We have some exciting young athletes, who are genuine medal contenders, but the AFN is so messed up that those athletes are being discouraged on daily basis.
Ese Brume- good athlete, and good to have 2 long jumpers at the Olympics. If she tries, she can make the final
Divine Oduduru- PB of 10.29s can be lowered at Rio. Good experience for him. He should go past first round. Semi final will be asking too much.
Tobi Amusan- fantastic season so far. Olympics good exposure. She may make semi finals.
Patience George- Semi final at best.
Relay team- best chance is the women 4x400m. We have at least 4 athletes running 52s steadily. We can make the olympics final.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by CassieV(f): 1:40pm On Jun 09, 2016
iamdynamite:
wow,really,why dont you take it a bit serious,you never can tell.....you have a very flexible body fits for such.
I'm past the age for it. smiley
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by iamdynamite(m): 2:16pm On Jun 09, 2016
CassieV:

I'm past the age for it. smiley
lol,how old are you
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by CassieV(f): 2:37pm On Jun 09, 2016
iamdynamite:
lol,how old are you
I'm 25 and I have to say, I'm hardly a gymnast. Not even close. Being flexible doesn't mean I can do what those gymnasts does. I just really wish I had the opportunity to be one.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by iamdynamite(m): 2:48pm On Jun 09, 2016
CassieV:

I'm 25 and I have to say, I'm hardly a gymnast. Not even close. Being flexible doesn't mean I can do what those gymnasts does. I just really wish I had the opportunity to be one.
ooo truly you have past the prime age,gymnasts are always way younger........but i can sense you have firm interest in the sport.............but nigeria has never done well in the sport...too much akpu in their system....lol grin
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by CassieV(f): 2:59pm On Jun 09, 2016
iamdynamite:
ooo truly you have past the prime age,gymnasts are always way younger........but i can sense you have firm interest in the sport.............but nigeria has never done well in the sport...too much akpu in their system....lol grin
You'll be surprised to know that there are good gymnasts out there. Nigeria can produce great gymnasts if they're found on time and given proper coaching.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by iamdynamite(m): 3:51pm On Jun 09, 2016
[quote author=CassieV post=46418151]
You'll be surprised to know that there are good gymnasts out there. Nigeria can produce great gymnasts if they're found on time and given proper coaching. [/quote hmm,but then the right environment isn't there
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by CassieV(f): 4:28pm On Jun 09, 2016
[quote author=iamdynamite post=46419548][/quote]
A serious coach can provide the right environment for them. There's a Gymnastics Centre in Abuja, owned by Tony Asuquo (I think..), the first Nigerian Gymnastics coach to get Certification from Federal International Gymnastics (FIG). The place is pretty decent from what I see on their site. He's training gymnasts there and their number is encouraging, there's hope. smiley
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jun 09, 2016
CassieV:

You can still do it at 25
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by CassieV(f): 5:38pm On Jun 09, 2016
CFCman:

You can still do it at 25
Yeah that's what I heard, but I'd rather coach now. cheesy
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jun 09, 2016
CassieV:

Yeah that's what I heard, but I'd rather coach now. cheesy
Abeg coach the next generation of Nigerian Olympians
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jun 09, 2016
olapluto:
My early predictions for the olympics.
Nigeria will get zero medals, but some fantastic displays. We will be close to medals with some, but others will just be going to Rio for the allowance.
1. Wrestling- Adekuroye Odunayo is the best shot we have. Bronze at world championship no be moi moi. She is perhaps the best chance we have of a medal.
2. Athletics: Unfortunately, no Nigerian team is medal worthy. The current AFN has killed athletics in Nigeria. They are in the process of burying it. We have some exciting young athletes, who are genuine medal contenders, but the AFN is so messed up that those athletes are being discouraged on daily basis.
Ese Brume- good athlete, and good to have 2 long jumpers at the Olympics. If she tries, she can make the final
Divine Oduduru- PB of 10.29s can be lowered at Rio. Good experience for him. He should go past first round. Semi final will be asking too much.
Tobi Amusan- fantastic season so far. Olympics good exposure. She may make semi finals.
Patience George- Semi final at best.
Relay team- best chance is the women 4x400m. We have at least 4 athletes running 52s steadily. We can make the olympics final.
Okagbare will win 2 medals, and the women's 4x100m relay team will win at least a bronze medal if Ese Brume takes part in the final.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by olapluto(m): 5:47pm On Jun 09, 2016
CFCman:

Okagbare will win 2 medals, and the women's 4x100m relay team will win at least a bronze medal if Ese Brume takes part in the final.
hahahaha. She won Zero medals at her peak.
Ese Brume isnt so much of a 100m runner though. Her SB is below the top 4 in Nigeria.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by CassieV(f): 6:01pm On Jun 09, 2016
CFCman:

Abeg coach the next generation of Nigerian Olympians
Lol I'll do that...
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Ezebinaugwu(m): 8:13pm On Jun 09, 2016
Hi guys loget on to uefa.com to play the euro fantasy football 2016 where you get to test your managerial skills with exciting prize to be won and also join my private league with this code 57944F2B

Thanks

1 Like

Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 5:39am On Jun 10, 2016
Ese Brume has qualified for the Women's long jump event. She did so with a 6.83m jump at the Akure Golden League.

Her 6.83m jump is also her new personal and season's best.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by olapluto(m): 10:29pm On Jun 10, 2016
Nigeria's most inform wrestler. Shes fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OFajSQq7hw
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 1:41am On Jun 11, 2016
olapluto:
Nigeria's most inform wrestler. Shes fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OFajSQq7hw

She's a potential gold medallist for Nigeria

1 Like

Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:18am On Jun 11, 2016
Ex-CSU star Andy Ogide on verge of Olympic dream with Nigeria

[img]http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/6c3245825b6f5e4117ea46cca0510aa47060c34f/c=0-191-1761-1515&r=x483&c=640x480/local/-/media/2016/06/10/FortCollins/FortCollins/636011638449758927-022011-csu-basketball-spt-DLM-07.JPG[/img]

Courtesy: Coloradoan library-
Former CSU basketball star Andy Ogide is on the verge of representing Nigeria in the Summer Olympics.

Andy Ogide remembers watching the 1996 Olympics as a boy growing up in Atlanta, the host city. He was 8 years old and marveled at the talent of the U.S. Dream Team that easily won the gold medal.

Some of the NBA’s all-time greatest players — Karl Malone, Shaquille O’Neal, Scottie Pippen and Reggie Miller — simply demolished the best the rest of the world had to offer, winning all eight of their games by 22 or more points and one by 63.

Childhood imaginations being what they are, Ogide could picture himself on a similar stage someday. But he never really believed he’d have that chance.

“You always dream that you’ll play on that stage, but you just never thought you would ever have that opportunity, because it’s the best of the best from all over the world,” Ogide said earlier this week.

Ogide, a former CSU standout, has a chance to fulfill that dream this summer. Not on the latest version of the U.S. Dream Team, but playing for Nigeria, his parents’ native country, in the Rio Olympics. Ogide has played professionally in Spain, France, Russia and Israel since earning first-team All-Mountain West honors in 2011 as a senior at Colorado State University and had to make a quick trip from his offseason home in Denver to Atlanta last Monday to renew his passport at the Nigerian consulate.

“It still doesn’t seem real, but I know that it is,” Ogide said. “It’s right here, and we’re preparing for it.
“It’s kind of a surreal feeling. If I’m able to go to the Opening Ceremonies, I know that will be something I’ll remember for the rest of my life.”

Ogide, a 6-foot-8, 235-pound forward, earned the opportunity as part of a Nigerian national team that won the African championships last summer for the first time ever to qualify for a spot in the 12-team field for the Summer Games from Aug. 6-21 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Other qualified teams include the U.S., Argentina, Australia, Brazil, China, Lithuania, Spain and Venezuela. The final three teams in the field will be determined in qualifying tournaments July 4-10.

Although Ogide, 28, was a key part of that team, averaging 6.0, 8.0 rebounds and 1.0 assists per game, there are no guarantees he’ll make the Olympic roster.
Twenty-seven players of Nigerian descent, including current NBA players Festus Ezeli (Golden State Warriors) and Al-Farouq Aminn (Portland Trail Blazers) and six others with NBA experience, will gather for a training camp June 27 in Los Angeles during which coach Will Voigt will select 12 to form Nigeria’s first Olympic basketball team. All 27 played professional basketball somewhere this past season.

“I know they want to keep the team as close to the same as the one that won the Afrobasket championship, so I think I’ll be on the squad,” Ogide said. “But you never know.”

Following the training camp, the Nigerian team will play exhibition games in China and Las Vegas against some other teams headed to the Rio Olympics, followed by an Aug. 1 exhibition against the U.S. team in Houston. That will be a good “barometer” of where the Nigerians stand and “just a fun experience,” regardless of the outcome, Ogide said.

“We have goals; we want to medal,” Ogide said. “That’s what we envisioned even before we won the Afrobasket. I know it’s going to be tough, but I think that we’re going to compete and we’re going to play well in the Olympics.”

FORT COLLINS’ OLYMPIC HOPEFULS

Janay DeLoach: Olympic bronze-medalist in long jump in 2012 and former CSU All-American needs to finish among top three in the long jump and/or the 100-meter hurdles at U.S. Olympic Trials from July 1-10 in Eugene, Oregon, to earn a spot on the U.S. team.

Georgia Gould: Olympic bronze-medalist in women’s cross-country mountain bike in 2012 needs to finish among top two Americans in next two World Cup races Sunday in Austria and July 9-10 in Switzerland to secure one of two spots on the U.S. team.

Mostafa Hassan: CSU sophomore and school record-holder in the shot put needs to meet the Olympic qualifying standard of 67 feet, 3 inches — 1 ½ inches beyond his personal-best — by July 11 or win the African championship June 22 in South Africa to represent his native Egypt.

Katie Mackey: Former Fort Collins High School standout and University of Washington All-American needs to finish among top three at U.S. Olympic Trials from July 1-10 in Eugene, Oregon, in the 5,000 meters to earn a spot on the U.S. team.

Andy Ogide : Former CSU standout was on Nigeria national basketball team that won African championship last summer to qualify for the Olympics but has to retain his spot on the 12-man roster during a tryout camp that begins June 27 in Los Angeles.

Source: http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/mens-basketball/2016/06/10/ex-csu-star-andy-ogide-olympic-dream/85669542/
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:50am On Jun 11, 2016
Rio 2016 qualifiers: D’Tigress set for Belarus

Nigeria’s senior women’s basketball team begin their quest for a place at Rio 2016 Olympic Games with D’Tigress facing a tough clash against Belarus in the FIBA Women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament, which starts in Nantes, France, on Monday. The WOQT will end on June 19.

D’Tigress, who are ranked 42nd in the world, are in Group C alongside Belarus and South Korea. Five teams will qualify from the tournament to join the others who have already qualified for the Games.

D’Tigress coach, Scott Nnaji, released the final list of players for the tournament during the week with only three home-based players making the cut.

The players are Promise Amukamara, Upe Atosu, Joyce Ekworomade, Adaora Elonu, Sarah Ogoke, Uju Ugoka, Ndidi Madu, Chioma Udeaja, Olayinka Sanni, Ezinne Kalu, Elem Ibiam and Helen Ogunjimi.

Four of the players are newly-invited to the team but coach Nnaji believes they will help the team in their quest to secure qualification.

“These new players bring more energy at both ends of the court. We watched the film of our games against Turkey and we came to the conclusion that we lacked communication,” Nnaji told FIBA.com.

“But we are ready for the WOQT now. Both Amukamara and Kalu have good ball handling and should be key for us. Because of her size (1.94m), I expect Ibiam to help us in the paint.”

In the preparations for the tournament, Nigeria played two warm-up matches against Turkey – which they lost 68-56 and 67-56 but Nnaji told our correspondent that the team have learnt from the two defeats.

He said, “We are not going to France to add to the numbers. Our aim is to be there and secure qualification for the Olympics. It will not come easy but we will not be pushovers there.

“The rankings of our opponents may be higher than ours but we will work hard to spring surprises and get what we are seeking – the Olympic ticket.”

Source: http://www.punchng.com/rio-2016-qualifiers-dtigress-set-belarus/

1 Like

Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jun 11, 2016
^^
Ibiam is really tall at 6ft 4.5in shocked
She's 2.5in taller than me too

Anyway, she should use her height to the max for D'Tigress.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 11, 2016
CFCman:
^^
Ibiam is really tall at 6ft 4.5in shocked
She's 2.5in taller than me too

Anyway, she should use her height to the max for D'Tigress.

What are you driving at Uncle? undecided
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jun 11, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

What are you driving at Uncle? undecided
She's very tall cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Brazil: U-20 Women's World Cup (1 - 1) On Wednesday August 22 / Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! / Katsina Utd Vs Remo Stars: How 2 Mins Added Time Afte Full Time Turns To 36 Mins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.