Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,926 members, 7,817,713 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe (38915 Views)

Benue Massacre: Doyin Okupe Provides Shocking Revelations / Clinton Lost Because She Wanted To Edit The Holy Bible – Doyin Okupe / Doyin Okupe And A Blogger, Abubakar Sidiq Usman, Blast Each Other On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by ijustdey: 10:31am On Mar 22, 2016

Dr. Doyin Okupe, a former senior aide to ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo of Nigeria, Tuesday morning explained why he wanted Rivers state governor, Nyesom Wike as well as Transport Minister Rotimi Amaechi out of the state in any subsequent election rerun exercise.

Okupe, who was also Senior Special Assistant on Public Affairs to Jonathan had said that Wike and Amaechi, who was the governor of the state, as well as their loyalists be moved out because of the level of violence that marred Saturday’s election rerun in Rivers into the state House of Assembly and the National Assembly.
He also demanded the prosecution of all those involved in the violence that claimed up to 10 lives including that of a member of the National Youth Service Corps.

But Okupe’s suggestion did not go down well with some Nigerians who condemned his position on social media, forcing the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain to clear the air on what his intentions were.
“I have seen and read many responses to my post on violence accompanying our electoral process. This is the beautiful part of the social media. It is interactive.

“It is interesting that most of the comments have nothing to do with the killings and loss of lives involved in this mayhem. It will appear that we have come to accept killings and thuggery as part of our national life.
“As Dele Giwa said: ‘nothing shocks us as Nigerians again’. But this ought not to be so.

“For me, I was particularly overwhelmed by the killings and especially the death of the innocent and young ‘youth corper’, just trying to serve his country. I felt highly repulsed and too deeply pained.

“Regrettably, I really did not consider the legal and moral implications of actually moving a state governor out of the state. I truly never intended to undermine the mandate of the rivers people freely given to Governor Wike. I am truly sorry about that.

“My thoughts were mainly focused on what we must do to avert this unnecessary and wanton bloodshed and deaths following our elections nationwide,” he said in a reaction to comments by some Nigerians to his earlier position.

Okupe said he had watched the American presidential primaries in the various states and caucuses and had never seen any police officer close to the various venues even though there must be a winner and a loser.

“Nigeria and Nigerians must move away from this derogatory barbarism and move along with the rest of the civilized world.
“If the violence that marred our electoral process in 1966 is still very prevalent in our elections in 2016, then there is something seriously wrong with Nigeria and the way we are and the earlier we all address this the better for us all,” he added.

In the earlier post, Okupe had indicted Wike, who is his party man, Amaechi, a former ally and now a member of the All Progressives Congress, the Independent National Electoral Commission and the security agents for the level of violence that scaled the election rerun.

He also demanded a stop to the use of NYSC members for elections especially in volatile areas of the country.

“All principal participants must accept responsibility for this intolerable acts of savagery. By all principals I mean the PDP, APC and their leaderships, the INEC, and the entire gamut of our security agencies.
“In 2016, the wanton destruction of lives and properties that accompany our elections in varying degrees is no longer excusable.

“The frequent deaths of citizens, electoral officials, members of the security forces has assumed highly barbaric proportions. Of particular importance is the reported death of innocent Youth corpers.

“As a Nigerian parent whose children will still go through this national calling, I cease this opportunity to call on other Nigerian parents and well-meaning Nigerians to prevail on INEC to stop with immediate effect the deployment of our children for electoral services.

“We can no longer bear the pain of losing our wards to mindless acts of lawlessness by thugs and hooligans acting for and on behalf of reckless, desperate and irresponsible politicians and power mongers.

INEC stands accused in all this dastardly developments. Before going into an election in any volatile area, they ought to obtain full security reports of the area in question and also confer with the police and the army to get written assurance that they can guarantee the security of electoral materials and officers.

He wondered why INEC would still be involved in the movement of electoral materials on election day rather than do this two weeks before the election in company of security agents.

He also suggested that in special volatile areas like Rivers and others as to be advised by police and the intelligence agencies, a minimum of five armed personnels per polling station with availability of standby re-enforcement in each Local Government Area should be considered.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2016/03/22/why-i-wanted-wike-out-of-rivers-okupe-2/

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by TANTUMERGO007(m): 10:33am On Mar 22, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by Firefire(m): 10:34am On Mar 22, 2016
“Regrettably, I really did not consider the legal and moral implications of actually moving a state governor out of the state. I truly never intended to undermine the mandate of the rivers people freely given to Governor Wike. I am truly sorry about that"

What is the cockroach of Ubima or whatever doing in Rivers during the election? Oh, to personally supervise the bloodletting ? embarassed

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by bonechamberlain(m): 10:36am On Mar 22, 2016
amaechi the saint should be warned not to go to rivers not a sitting governor.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by IamPatriotic(m): 10:37am On Mar 22, 2016
Noodles brain Okupe for the first time in his entire life be sensible.
the two blood suckers should have been kicked out of Rivers politics long before now.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by MarysMeal: 10:46am On Mar 22, 2016
Firefire:
“Regrettably, I really did not consider the legal and moral implications of actually moving a state governor out of the state. I truly never intended to undermine the mandate of the rivers people freely given to Governor Wike. I am truly sorry about that"

What is the cockroach of Ubima or whatever doing in Rivers during the election? Oh, to personally supervise the bloodletting ? embarassed

trash!

Don't you have shame? You keep defending politicians here on daily basis.

You lots (both apc and pdp supporters) are the problem of this country.

Just look at how innocent people lost their lives while they (politicians) children are in a safe place.

98 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by Firefire(m): 10:48am On Mar 22, 2016
MarysMeal:

[s]trash!

Just look at how innocent people lost their lives while they (politicians) children are in a safe place[/s].

Go and read your books, kid.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by cckris: 10:50am On Mar 22, 2016
I truly never intended to undermine the mandate of the rivers people freely given to Governor Wike. I am truly sorry about that.

Unambiguous. Unlike most Lagosians.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by Nobody: 10:52am On Mar 22, 2016
grin
Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by MarysMeal: 10:55am On Mar 22, 2016
Firefire:

I don't need to read any book.

It is you that should go look for something better to do with your life, James .

You are pathetic bro.

78 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by egalitarian78: 10:55am On Mar 22, 2016
Mr Okupe my personal take is dat I stick with ur earlier writeup. If d quarantine of both Wike and Amaechi for some few hours will guarantee peace so be it. No politician; I mean none is worth dying for. Your apology though shows u r more refined than I had often thought. Imagine d poor Nysc, who turned out to be an orphan and possibly d scion of d family tree.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by Firefire(m): 10:56am On Mar 22, 2016
MarysMeal:

[s]
I don't need to read any book.

It is you that should go look for something better to do with your life, James .

You are pathetic bro.[/s]

Sorry, Dende. bye.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by MarysMeal: 11:03am On Mar 22, 2016
Firefire:

Sorry, Dende. bye.
smh

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by Nobody: 11:04am On Mar 22, 2016
Let there be peace in River State
Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by nigeriapolitics(f): 11:15am On Mar 22, 2016
Firefire:

Dad, he's very right, naida amechi nor wike children live in 9ja let alone among d victims. May d soul of d innocent copa rest in peace

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by albany231: 11:20am On Mar 22, 2016
MarysMeal:

trash!

Just look at how innocent people lost their lives while they (politicians) children are in a safe place.

That guy have no conscience and will always be here to defend those criminals called politicians. Wike is the governor of Rivers, Ameachi is a former governor and a minister but the nobody of a person here is defending them. Pathetic.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by albany231: 11:21am On Mar 22, 2016
egalitarian78:
Mr Okupe my personal take is dat I stick with ur earlier writeup. If d quarantine of both Wike and Amaechi for some few hours will guarantee peace so be it. No politician; I mean none is worth dying for. Your apology though shows u r more refined than I had often thought. Imagine d poor Nysc, who turned out to be an orphan and possibly d scion of d family tree.

God bless you. Its a shame some miscreants are defending both wike and Ameachi here, that country is something else.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by tritt(m): 11:26am On Mar 22, 2016
The guy give himself brain by apologizing...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by Nobody: 11:26am On Mar 22, 2016
Firefire:

Guy I hate to be drawn in an argument with u. Did u read the write up at all? For the first time a doyin okupe wasn't partisan. He was writing for development and he rightly said the two gladiators should be out of River state at least for the sake of human lives..

Do u have comprehension problems or u are just being silly? Didn't u read about the youth Corps member that died? Don't u have emotions? Is the election worth the life of humans!! Receive sense in amadioha' name..

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by MarysMeal: 11:29am On Mar 22, 2016
albany231:

That guy have no conscience and will always be here to defend those criminals called politicians. Wike is the governor of Rivers, Ameachi is a former governor and a minister but the nobody of a person here is defending them. Pathetic.

imagine the "nobody" called firefire.

I am ashamed on his behalf.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by fedorahat: 11:55am On Mar 22, 2016
nigerian politicians sha, wike all the way

1 Like

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by OlujobaSamuel: 11:57am On Mar 22, 2016
first time I'm on same page, word for word, line for lines with this man. perfect solution to the nonsense in the state.
for all you celebrating/promoting the bazaar acts going on in the state, don't worry, either you or someone close will lose his life in such circumstances very soon.
ediot pikin of a thousand fathers

6 Likes

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by Walspring: 12:02pm On Mar 22, 2016
Rip to the dead

If Corp members didn't work with inec who will work with them? Because doyin okupe calling to stop Corp member is useless..

Why can't he agitate that politician caught with violent attempt or act should be jailed ?

Most of our politicians are useless when thinking

2 Likes

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by Firstlieutenant(m): 2:08pm On Mar 22, 2016
Firefire:

As an indigene he came to vote!

8 Likes

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by ShitHead(m): 2:26pm On Mar 22, 2016
Don't worry about Amaechi...he has learnt his lessons. He is not going back to Rivers State again in his lfe, that's if he still has life remaining. He must be dying in frustration and depression.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by OsusuMustFlow(f): 2:27pm On Mar 22, 2016
you can only wish
Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by callJesu: 2:27pm On Mar 22, 2016
Enemies
Re: Why I Wanted Wike Out Of Rivers –doyin Okupe by Nobody: 2:30pm On Mar 22, 2016
K

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Reacts To Audio Tape With Akon Ikpeme Released By Sahara Reporters / NANS President Promise President Buhari 20 Million Votes, Nigerians React / Graphic! Killings Continue Unabated In PLATEAU State, Under The Watch Of STF Co

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.