Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

How To Retain What You've Read. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Retain What You've Read. (1627 Views)

7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting / Pictures You Can Relate To If You've Ever Written A School Project. / How To Remember What You've Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Retain What You've Read. by Nobody: 10:31pm On Mar 23, 2016
I am calling on the gurus and geniuses.

Is there a way/technique someone can use to retain what he has read - long term retention.

I found it very cumbersome, the excessive loads in university courses and I am trying to balance it up. The issue is, the more books I read, I remember only glimpses.

My strong point remains the calculation part, I find it very easy to retain.

Please, kindly share techniques one can use for remembering courses like; History, Biology (readable courses with no calculations)

Thanks!

Marxxx
xfire
davide470
Rationalmind
Re: How To Retain What You've Read. by Nobody: 10:34pm On Mar 23, 2016
means reading is not your thing or rather meant for you. go for stuffs like maths and stats, engr, archy etc
Re: How To Retain What You've Read. by babyfaceafrica: 10:52pm On Mar 23, 2016
No tecqnique..find what suits you and work with it...some people memorize ,some cram,some do both.....then again your reading pattern is important,when do you assimilate the most,morning,afternoon or night?.....can you concentrate in nosiy places ,cool places or both?....do u cope with ust attending classes or personal reading?..when you find answes to this question,you are good to go!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Retain What You've Read. by Marxxx: 10:58pm On Mar 23, 2016
It's great to know you have sound numerical ability. I believe you should make reading your hobby. Try these simple techniques

1. Study early; don't wait until it is close to exam/test periods before you start studying

2. Study everyday.

3. Understand the concept of what you are studying.

4. Study gradually. Let's say you are taking a course on polymers....before you start cramming all the big structures ensure you understand monomers, basic functions and application of polymers....try studying the simple aspect then graduate to more difficult aspect.

5. Exercise your brain. Try remembering events...try reading articles in newspapers a summary about what you read will do you a great good.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Retain What You've Read. by Nobody: 9:46am On Mar 26, 2016
tendercharles:
means reading is not your thing or rather meant for you. go for stuffs like maths and stats, engr, archy etc

Em, already studying a social science course.
Re: How To Retain What You've Read. by Nobody: 9:51am On Mar 26, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
No tecqnique..find what suits you and work with it...some people memorize ,some cram,some do both.....then again your reading pattern is important,when do you assimilate the most,morning,afternoon or night?.....can you concentrate in nosiy places ,cool places or both?....do u cope with ust attending classes or personal reading?..when you find answes to this question,you are good to go!!!

I don't really cram. I strive to understand. I assimilate anytime of the day in a quiet place. I don't believe in tutorials/lecturing, I do best alone.
Re: How To Retain What You've Read. by Nobody: 9:56am On Mar 26, 2016
Marxxx:
It's great to know you have sound numerical ability. I believe you should make reading your hobby. Try these simple techniques

1. Study early; don't wait until it is close to exam/test periods before you start studying

2. Study everyday.

3. Understand the concept of what you are studying.

4. Study gradually. Let's say you are taking a course on polymers....before you start cramming all the big structures ensure you understand monomers, basic functions and application of polymers....try studying the simple aspect then graduate to more difficult aspect.

5. Exercise your brain. Try remembering events...try reading articles in newspapers a summary about what you read will do you a great good.

I study almost everyday (financial calculations). Point 3-5, I will put more effort on. Thanks!
Re: How To Retain What You've Read. by ksbusari(m): 6:01pm On Mar 26, 2016
u just av to study d tym u can assimilate. its all about knowing oneself. u don't av to cram Bt try and understand what a topic in ur handout or any reading material is saying. most importantly, read patiently.

1 Like

Re: How To Retain What You've Read. by sageb: 8:46pm On Mar 26, 2016
Op if its environmental problem then try study in a quiet area. But if its introspection then try jotting key themes while studying. You will be so acquainted wit wat you jot dat you will hardly forget them.

1 Like

Re: How To Retain What You've Read. by Nobody: 4:54pm On Mar 28, 2016
ksbusari:
u just av to study d tym u can assimilate. its all about knowing oneself. u don't av to cram Bt try and understand what a topic in ur handout or any reading material is saying. most importantly, read patiently.
sageb:
Op if its environmental problem then try study in a quiet area. But if its introspection then try jotting key themes while studying. You will be so acquainted wit wat you jot dat you will hardly forget them.
ksbusari:

Thanks guys! I appreciate the points.
Re: How To Retain What You've Read. by tree63: 8:12pm On Mar 28, 2016
really love to help...but can't type all here..maybe you could forward your digits, will call. Studying smart not hard. There are different approach to things you read. Choose what part of mnemonics will help each course; is it recording of notes and listening to it all over again or self video, is it studying as if you are director of a play to help remember dates, this work better in history works. You just need to know thy self and which approach to use for each course. Don't forget to always stay in alpha state to help you stay motivated when studying.

1 Like

Re: How To Retain What You've Read. by Nobody: 10:59pm On Mar 31, 2016
tree63:
really love to help...but can't type all here..maybe you could forward your digits, will call. Studying smart not hard. There are different approach to things you read. Choose what part of mnemonics will help each course; is it recording of notes and listening to it all over again or self video, is it studying as if you are director of a play to help remember dates, this work better in history works. You just need to know thy self and which approach to use for each course. Don't forget to always stay in alpha state to help you stay motivated when studying.

Thanks! We're in digital age, so, I study with the 'flow'.

Alternatively, I can be reached on lovedbyall1992@yahoo.com. You can send a voice-note as attachment there.

I really do appreciate!
Re: How To Retain What You've Read. by Marxxx: 8:02pm On Apr 06, 2016
lovedbyall1992:

I study almost everyday (financial calculations). Point 3-5, I will put more effort on. Thanks!
you 're welcome

(1) (Reply)

Why The Vice Chancellor Of UNN Wants Every Student To Create A Blog / University Of Ibadan Postgraduate Degree 2018/2019 / Putting Together Good Letters Of Recommendation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.