Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,035 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

What Is The Future Of Our Heritage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Future Of Our Heritage? (497 Views)

The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D / Watch Unilag Students Cultural Heritage Tour Pics. / 6 Ways Parents Complicate The Matrimonial Future Of Their Children. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Future Of Our Heritage? by itouchng(f): 5:09pm On Mar 24, 2016
WHAT IS THE FUTURE OF OUR HERITAGE IF CHILDREN ARE NOT SPEAKING THEIR INDIGENOUS LANGUAGE
WHO IS TO BE BLAMED?
Language is our soul.
(Aunty Rose Fernando, Gamilaroi Elder, 1998)

It amaze me when some Nigerian Parent will be like "My children can not speak my language".
And i ask my self WHY?
Our culture is suppose to be our heritage & our pride. but now we put culture aside and follow the Colony of some unknow things
We admit Civilization in a wrong manner, Civilization does not mean drop your heritage and your pride
It means enchance your culture & heritage. Language is the expression of our culture and our land
We cannot have one without the other, we cannot describe our culture and our land if we do not have language.
Language is the carrier of the cultural heritage of societies thus the death of a language constitutes the annihilation of norms, values, attributes and beliefs of the people.
But with the rapid extinction of Africa's indigenous languages, what then is the future of our heritage? The situation is worrying as the intrusion of foreign cultures through
the media facilitated by advanced communications technology are fast causing most, Africans to lose ties with their roots.

The European community speaks only about 230 languages and yet such languages have found their way onto the global language environment.
Meanwhile, Papua Guinea has speakers of 832 languages which exceed the combined languages of the
Europeans but none of her languages has gained an international appeal!
Our ability to preserve our indigenous languages is one way [/center]of empowering future generations to respect who they are and what they stand for.
read more www.itouchfoundation.

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

. / Always Mother, Forever Friend - Stunning Portrait Of Mum & Daughter / Facing Incurable Staphylococcus Case???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.