Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,517 members, 7,823,223 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:00 AM

7 Myths About Fuel Economy - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 7 Myths About Fuel Economy (23366 Views)

7 Most Common Misconceptions About Fuel Efficiency / Parts Of A Car That Has The Biggest Impact On Fuel Economy / The Car With The Most Fuel Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Myths About Fuel Economy by walcolm(m): 4:45pm On Mar 29, 2016
9icetoo:

and the battery gets its juice from the alternator which in turn gets its power from the engine. do you get the logic here? connect a scangauge or obd Bluetooth readout to your car, lookup "engine load", turn on all electrical appliances on your car to maximum and tell me if the engine load figure does not go up. we are all here to learn. I learnt a lot here and in other fora but I swear the level of ignorance here is monumental.

you should worry about your own ignorance.

yes the car battery is charged by the alternator and whether the battery is actively charging or is in a state of full charge, the alternator loads the engine so long as the engine is running.

for modern cars with lots of convenience accessories that run off the battery, the alternator will have to keep topping up the battery as those accessories draw power from the battery but that does not mean the rate of charge increases as you switch on items that draw their power source only from the battery (lights, radio etc) so the engine load read out on a diagnostic tool will not go up when you switch on lights or play radio as you have claimed

you are not anymore intelligent that others on this thread and you can contribute to the collective learning experience without being a jerkas5 with your posts
Re: 7 Myths About Fuel Economy by 9icetoo(m): 2:58pm On Mar 31, 2016
walcolm:

you should worry about your own ignorance.

yes the car battery is charged by the alternator and whether the battery is actively charging or is in a state of full charge, the alternator loads the engine so long as the engine is running.

for modern cars with lots of convenience accessories that run off the battery, the alternator will have to keep topping up the battery as those accessories draw power from the battery but that does not mean the rate of charge increases as you switch on items that draw their power source only from the battery (lights, radio etc) so the engine load read out on a diagnostic tool will not go up when you switch on lights or play radio as you have claimed

you are not anymore intelligent that others on this thread and you can contribute to the collective learning experience without being a jerkas5 with your posts
please don't call me names, I haven't called you one yet. do not hide behind the safety of a computer screen and spew trash.
the rate of charge does not increase?! why do automakers size alternators to fit demand then? why not fit a cheaper honda fit alternator into a honda accord. have u ever seen the alternator equipped in an ambulance engine?
abeg no show urself.
if you have a scanner which can show live data, just perform this simple test and update your knowledge.
start your car, connect the scanner and run live update. look out for engine load. turn on your high beams, your Ac blowers and Ac and tell us what happens to that engine load. do that before you come back here to call names.
Re: 7 Myths About Fuel Economy by walcolm(m): 4:01pm On Mar 31, 2016
Like i said previously, work on your own ignorance

you claimed in your penultimate post that loading electrical items on a car's battery will affect the load on the engine which runs the alternator responsible for charging the battery and i have disproved your illogical claims with simple explanations and now you jump to comparing the alternators installed in different vehicle types to muddle up the discussions which shows you don't know what you're talking about

i don't spit trash like you and i am not hiding behind the safety of a computer screen. if you think you have something you want to do because i called you out for your previous insultive posts, pls feel free to make an attempt. i can give you a time and a place to come to. my posts on this thread and your posts are all available for the world to evaluate and judge to decide who is hiding behind the anonymity of the internet to misbehave

if you have a scanner, connect it to your vehicle and show the result here to back up your claims
Re: 7 Myths About Fuel Economy by femi4: 4:59pm On Mar 31, 2016
walcolm:
that roadside mechanic talk about AC being a load is in itself a myth.

the AC compressor is always connected to the engine by the fan belt. so whether you're actually using the AC or not, it is already factored into the car's fuel efficiency and its part of the engine

analogy: if your fridge is plugged in, if you turn the temperature to cooling or you dont, it will still use up your electricity. the difference is that when you ask it to cool, the cooling agent travels through the system to drop the temperature as it is using that electricity. the same thing is what happens with the car AC
Wrong analogy!
Its good to read your vehicle manual

Extra load on engine = more fuel consumption.

AC is extra load, but driving on high speed with AC on reduces fuel consumption
Re: 7 Myths About Fuel Economy by ricki: 7:59pm On Mar 31, 2016
my yaris does 125miles to 1 gallon. bought 10£ travelled to chelsea 5 times at averaege 50miles per trip. i thought the car computer display was lying when it indicated the data. it has a diesel engine no hybrid crap. tried to take a picture but the fone isnt cooperating.
Re: 7 Myths About Fuel Economy by 9icetoo(m): 9:10pm On Mar 31, 2016
grin
femi4:
Wrong analogy!

abeg help me educate am. and he/she is even calling me names and issuing a challenge. lol. grin
femi4:
Wrong analogy!

abeg help me educate am. and he/she is even calling me names and issuing a challenge. lol.
Re: 7 Myths About Fuel Economy by walcolm(m): 4:04am On Apr 01, 2016
@9icet

I'm not going to waste my time with you anymore cos I really don't give a damn whether you know or you don't
Re: 7 Myths About Fuel Economy by walcolm(m): 4:07am On Apr 01, 2016
femi4:
Wrong analogy!

Maybe you should quote the part of your car manual where you read the content of your post

You do read your car manual or don't you?
Re: 7 Myths About Fuel Economy by femi4: 12:26pm On Apr 01, 2016
walcolm:

Maybe you should quote the part of your car manual where you read the content of your post

You do read your car manual or don't you?
Read the attached

Re: 7 Myths About Fuel Economy by 9icetoo(m): 3:17pm On Apr 01, 2016
walcolm:
@9icet

I'm not going to waste my time with you anymore cos I really don't give a damn whether you know or you don't
well, I do and you don't. your world, suit yourself. meanwhile femi4 has given you the info you asked for. how you use it is up to you.
Re: 7 Myths About Fuel Economy by Ricmayak1: 2:54pm On Apr 02, 2016
walcolm:
that roadside mechanic talk about AC being a load is in itself a myth.

the AC compressor is always connected to the engine by the fan belt. so whether you're actually using the AC or not, it is already factored into the car's fuel efficiency and its part of the engine

analogy: if your fridge is plugged in, if you turn the temperature to cooling or you dont, it will still use up your electricity. the difference is that when you ask it to cool, the cooling agent travels through the system to drop the temperature as it is using that electricity. the same thing is what happens with the car AC

Very wrong analysis. Don't let an engineer see this please!
Re: 7 Myths About Fuel Economy by walcolm(m): 11:02pm On Apr 03, 2016
9ice, femi and mayak,

I totally dislike people who run around with half and outdated information and feeling good about the nonsense they are talking especially on public forums where genuinely curious people come to for answers to their worries. all three of you need to get your shit together

Like I said, the Internet is available and anyone who wants to know can always find the truth

Find attached for your education

PS: I will not come back to this thread because it looks to me like it's only you guys here and I don't like wasting my time with people like you

Re: 7 Myths About Fuel Economy by 9icetoo(m): 10:26am On Apr 04, 2016
your attachment says it does take more fuel to run an ac even though it is minute. but it does. the writer assumes that cars are constantly being driven at 50mph where drag becomes a factor. in city driving, you rarely ever get to 30mph and as such drag is a not a factor; throwing that hypothesis/theory out of the window.

you rely on what you read off the internet but not what you measure and verify yourself.
do you think that internet poster did any physical measurements to back up his claim or post his opinions just like you havebeen doing.
Re: 7 Myths About Fuel Economy by billyG(m): 8:20pm On Apr 08, 2016
Zoharariel:
Myth 8: Enoch Adeboye drove a car without petrol from Ore to Lagos

Pastor Adeboye was coming from Onitsha during the petrol crises when he realized he needed to buy petrol, but there was no petrol in Onitsha. He decided he would try Asaba, but found out also, there was no petrol in Asaba. Continuing his journey, he hoped to buy petrol on reaching Benin, but to his amazement also found out there was no petrol station open for business in Benin, Pastor Adeboye undaunted finally thought he would find petrol to buy at Ore.

By the time he reached Ore, the next stop, his petrol warning light came on, indicating that he was then on reserve supply. At this point Pastor Adeboye said God told him not to look at the petrol gauge, but to continue his journey. Following God’s instruction, Pastor Adeboye continued his journey from Ore, without looking at the fuel gauge, until he got to his residence in Surulere in Lagos.

Ladies & Gentlemen - You guessed right! The Yahwehgian bastards believed him. grin
Can God disobey,break,disregard his own LAW of nature?Law of conservation of energy?
Re: 7 Myths About Fuel Economy by billyG(m): 8:26pm On Apr 08, 2016
bright007:
Myth 10: Having Buharry as the Minister of Petroleum will make the products more available and affordable.

Years ago before the 2015 general elections, Nigerians experienced fuel scarcity as well hike in the prices of fuel but these experiences were shortlived and did not persist for months like we are currently experiencing.
Its almost one year since Buharry took over as petroleum minister, and these past months have been hell for Nigerians as far as petroleum products are concerned. Hence, having Buharry as the minister of petroleum is tantamount to a dog in a manger.
He is better off playing hide and seek with his cows in Duara .
A Dog in a manger?Are u kid aware he built all d existing 4 Refineries we still hav today?
Re: 7 Myths About Fuel Economy by bright007(f): 9:18pm On Apr 08, 2016
billyG:

A Dog in a manger?Are u kid aware he built all d existing 4 Refineries we still hav today?

Are you adult aware that none of the refineries are working presently ?

or even when they were working, the operators were running it at a loss?

hope you are aware?
Re: 7 Myths About Fuel Economy by billyG(m): 2:15pm On Apr 09, 2016
bright007:

hope you are aware?
how is that his fault?wher are d ones obj,ya'aadua,gej built?
Re: 7 Myths About Fuel Economy by billyG(m): 12:05pm On Apr 10, 2016
bright007:

hope you are aware?
So how iz that his fault?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FRSC Pulled Me Over Twice Today To Check My Tires / Mile 2 To Apapa Road Getting Mad Daily! / All New Mercedes A-class Sedan Revealed (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.